• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Man, pretty much every dev out there struggled with HD development, especially the entire Japanese dev scene. For devs like Nintendo it took almost an entire gen before they could develop HD games at a reasonable pace. "Just the resolution". I don't think you know what you're talking about here, sorry.

It is all about how a dev can scale the content down to play on a console. Typically devs make the assets at a large scale and have to remove resolution to fit it at 4K or 1080p or 60fps or whatever their goal is. Maybe every dev struggled with HD development (I'd need to see sources about the Nintendo line) but we are well into it so the struggle is pairing down to fit a certain resolution.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I'm ok with them ditching the one shot approach. They need to up the ante in terms of spectacle and boss battles. The less the constraints the better.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst movies I have seen. Made a travesty of one of the world's most interesting mythologies and events.

Luckily God of War seems to be doing it justice so far with its take.

Fenrir will likely be fking awesome in God of War. Bring it on!

Absolutely agreed about Thor: Ragnarok. The cheese is just way over the top. I mean seriously what is this shit:

valkyrie.gif

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So 2021 seems plausible, which would mean it would be a cross platform game at best, PS5 exclusive at worst. I would hope they try a TLOU situation and just give the PS5 a slightly boosted version. Clearly TLOU wasn't hurt at all by this kind of play considering how well it sold.

The next game will either be Egyptian mythology or Chinese.

There's some art inside that hints at what's next.

Next game, no. Not until GoW3 at the earliest if not flat out until the next trilogy of games.
And that's Japanese, not Chinese.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping they get someone new for designĂł g the bosses, and they start working from the combat mechanics and not from the art design of the bosses (specially the dragĂłn felt like that).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agreed about Thor: Ragnarok. The cheese is just way over the top. I mean seriously what is this shit:

valkyrie.gif
its a marvel movie. what do you expect?

and no, its by no means a bad movie. if anything them embracing the absurdity and going full marvel actually made it a fun watch.

I wouldnt have enjoyed God of War as much if Thor hadnt laid out the mythology so well. And vice verse. 'That' infinity war scene was absolutely amazing because of god of war.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I'm trying to think of a wishlist for the next game:

- If Thor is the big bad, maybe a few more side characters/Gods you can meet along the way

- Wrap up the Freya storyline, or atleast make her motivations a little more sensible

- Both weapon sets available from the jump

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because it limits gameplay and storytelling. Quick travel becomes not so quick treks through the branches of Yggdrassil, storytelling becomes constrained because you cannot show anything that isn't happening with this one specific character at that moment in space and time (so no flash backs, no alternate PoVs, nothing), and it doesn't add enough to the immersion to be worth it, since the logistics of how a game is played (i.e. a player will die, you will pull up menus a lot, you will not play in one session) means that the actual effect of a one shot is lost anyway.
It was a neat gimmick, and all credit to Cory for being able to pull it off, but it adds nothing, and you lose too much in the process. Ditch it.
Gate travel was great, I'd rather listen to Mimir than staring at a black screen and Realm travel works well with the Norse mythology, what is this about not adding enough to immersion? The way the camera works is extremely immersive, you will always be there whatever important happens in the story, you see everything through Kratos' eyes which is what the journey is about, being so close to everything makes things much stronger, they also can do flashbacks, they just need to be creative with it like they have shown so far.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I hope this one takes less time to create, and it should since they have the core mechanics and stuff in place! I can't fucking wait for this game.
And I hope they keep the single shot - I think it does WONDERS for the pacing of the game. Made it really hard to step away from the game since it just keeps going.

Thor Ragnarok is a bad joke of a movie, filled with bad jokes.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah others have mentioned. Might have jumped the gun. I noticed that while playing and probably read too much into it.

Haha, well who knows if they plan to release more games in other mythologies (that screenshot you posted is definitely interesting), but they should really squeeze as much as they can on this one first.

If they jump to other mythologies, I don't think Kratos will be there. I think his journey ends in Norse.

Jan 11, 2018
I hope they keep the single shot camera, but actually fully commit to it this time. They'll have time to figure out how to keep the upgrade system on the axe in game this time instead of cutting to a menu. Also, during fast travel, keep Kratos on the screen at all times instead of those fade to whites.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
So ps5 might get Horizon2 and God of war in the first year? Now i just need confirmation that knack 3 will be a launch ps5 title and im there.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll get at least 2 more games in the Norse mythology, the other myths come later.
I think what's likely to happen is that the series will remain in the Norse setting for the remainder of its current existence, but more gods and beings from other pantheons will enter the mix.

Mimir himself, though very much someone from Norse mythology, seems like someone who originally came from the Celtic region within the game's universe.

I want platforming mechanics with the Axe and will like to know what killed Faye
I'm pretty sure it was something terminal/natural and known. Kratos seemed very peaceful about her passing even in his grief. I would really love to know more about the character though.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
God of War Sequel: March 2020. Yall heard it here first.

It's gonna be like PS2, where God of War 2 came out AFTER the PS3 did, but only on the PS2 and not the 3 until many years later. That being said, PS5 Fall 2019. God of War Sequel for PS4: March 2020.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
If they can finish it by PS5 launch, that would incredible

its a marvel movie. what do you expect?

and no, its by no means a bad movie. if anything them embracing the absurdity and going full marvel actually made it a fun watch.

I wouldnt have enjoyed God of War as much if Thor hadnt laid out the mythology so well. And vice verse. 'That' infinity war scene was absolutely amazing because of god of war.
going full Marvel?

Have you even read a Thor comic from the past 10 years? Ragnarok was a travesty to the character and setting.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what's likely to happen is that the series will remain in the Norse setting for the remainder of its current existence, but more gods and beings from other pantheons will enter the mix.

Mimir himself, though very much someone from Norse mythology, seems like someone who originally came from the Celtic region within the game's universe.

I don't see that happening, with Ragnarok on the way it's the perfect excuse to have this entire part of the world get destroyed before Kratos or Atreus move on to other pastures, probably Egypt or somewhere hot to distinguish itself from the Norse realms.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I want more and better bosses, and definitely more visceral kills rather than the like 3 we got. Ripping something in half from the skull and 2 different kinds of axe dismemberments weren't enough