• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Monica Studio is looking for an experienced Senior Character Concept artist to help develop genre defining visuals delivered only on PlayStation. Come help us design a rich cast of characters and creatures steeped in story, mythology, mixed with strong historical detail and influences.

PRINCIPLE DUTIES

• Work with the Art Directors and Leads to create high quality characters, gods, creatures, and props.
  • Must be able to create character designs that are both visually strong while also supporting the gameplay and narrative needs.
  • Possess the knowledge of design process through the creation of thumbnail, sketches, painting, model sheets, and production paintings.
  • Is able to participate in meetings, brainstorming ideas, pitching concepts, and responding to feedback.
  • Is comfortable receiving critiques and working under tight deadlines.

So it seems like they're hiring a concept artist to work on new stuff for them- either this is for an expansion, or likelier, a sequel for this game has entered pre-production. Which is awesome! Hopefully it won't take as long to come as God of War did, and we can see it in the next 2-3 years.

Btw, the actual job experience requirements are a bit less exacting than is usual- so if you are looking to break into the game industry, and have the right skill set, go ahead and apply!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 launch window possibly? Man a PS5 with a possible Horizon 2 and God of War 2 for launch year would be hard for me to resist.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was pretty obvious after going Home. I'm hyped, now we need confirmation that Barlog is back on the directors chair.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should just skip a dlc and go straight into God of War 5.

Also please let us revisit Greece as I am interested in seeing how it looks now after a thousand years without Kratos.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I would think they're already well onto their way into designing for the sequel or whatever comes next but always good to see new talent joining the people at SSM.

May 10, 2018
It's definitely going straight into God of War 5 I feel.

PS5 as well although not launch. Honestly I don't expect a sequel until 2022.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Good stuff. Hopefully well see it by Q1 2021.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's obvious God of War 5 will be a first year PS5 game, just like Horizon 2. The timing is perfect.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Which creatures can we expect in the sequel? I'm not well-versed in Norse mythology. All I can think of is Fenrir, and it's going to be interesting to see what they do with that.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Take 5 years if you need it. I don't care. The quality of God of War is so high now that I don't think 2-3 years is reasonable development time given that this game will probably be on new hardware and looking to wow us like the 2018 game did.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Why are people speculating PS5?

No reason the sequel can't be out early 2020. Remember God of War II came out in 2007 on PS2 months after PS3 came out.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with DLC that covered Faye before she met Kratos or as she met him and how their relationship developed.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Cory said the sequel shouldn't take as long because the core engine and tech are already there.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people speculating PS5?

No reason the sequel can't be out early 2020. Remember God of War II came out in 2007 on PS2 months after PS3 came out.

Because God of War came out 3 months ago and even Call of Duty games have 3 year turnaround times these days. This is a 2021 game at the earliest I would think.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
They should just skip a dlc and go straight into God of War 5.

Also please let us revisit Greece as I am interested in seeing how it looks now after a thousand years without Kratos.

Yes please, that would be a lot of fun, even just for a sidequest or something. If PS5 has this and HZD2 in the first two years or so, it will be amazing.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I can't wait to tear that fucking crow in half, and that snake as well, cause' of some reasons the writing team need to cook up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They spelled principal incorrectly.
That whole job listing is a grammatical disaster.

It starts with: "Come award-winning God of War development team! Santa Monica Studio is looking for an experienced Senior Character Concept artist to help develop genre defining visuals delivered only on PlayStation."

The first bullet point is also "Work with the Art Directors and Leads to create a high quality characters, gods, creatures, and props."

Like c'mon, lol. You want to make a good impression, what is this.

Oct 25, 2017
Soon
Bifrost1.jpg

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I really hope there is more in the next game than there was in GoW4.
I really really liked it a lot and look forward to the sequels, but
most of the boss fights being with Baldur kinda got me down at the end of the game. I was expecting to confront a lot more gods than the few you do. I was think all of them were going to start coming after Kratos like the set up for John Wick 3 is. GoW4 being a more personal story with fewer encounters was cool, but it wasn't what I expected going in. I guess that will be the set up for the sequel.
I liked the length of the game and amount of side content, those were perfectly paced.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Need the sequel in my veins as fast as humanly possible.

That shit was fucking great. I like the original trilogy but this is going to be on another level.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was pretty obvious after going Home. I'm hyped, now we need confirmation that Barlog is back on the directors chair.

iirc he said he would take a long break and likely come back to work on a new IP for santa monica. he also said he has this new God of War saga fully outlined even if he's not the one directing. I'm assuming if its not him directing it will be someone from the team that he fully trusts, and that the vision will still pretty much be his.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
PS5 launch window possibly? Man a PS5 with a possible Horizon 2 and God of War 2 for launch year would be hard for me to resist.

Or this will be the swan song of the PS4 like GoW2 was...oh man, deja vu?!

No. Just... no.

Video games take a long time to make, even sequels. God of War 2 isn't coming out any time soon.

They spent forever working on the axe and the world and the engine. You got the engine and the axe throw down, it becomes just doing a new story, new art, and new puzzles with minor combat tweaks. I don't see how this would take many years. That's the whole point of having an engine.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The engine and mechanics are done now though, all they need to do is make new areas. 2 years is reasonable.
A single big boss fight will probably take the better part of a year in modern game development time, a lot of stuff go into them. They'd probably want to do new stuff too that they couldn't achieve in time with God of War.