• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if want

CRWo0zg.png

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they looks as good at Detective Pikachu does, i'm all for it.
Would be also interesting to see if they try to do sequels based on the different regions.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you told 7 year old me we would be getting a high concept live action adaptation of Pokémon Red and Blue....

If real, this is gonna be a fucking megaton. Heck, we already have a good template for this adaptation:

%7B70FFBFE5-9BB0-41FD-89B4-575B919F492A%7DImg100.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll use Ash, Gary, et al or if they'll make a story about Red, Blue and Green. Either way, I like the look of the Pikachu movie so would be happy to see this if it gets a good team behind it.
The thing is, if they use ash they are kinda pigeon holed into actually following the lore that is already there. Ex he has pikachu, misty and Brock etc. if they wanted to tell their own unique story, they could go with Red and give him whatever starters they want and Pokémon

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should have been this to begin with. The bizzarro talking detective Pikachu movie managed to gain traction, imagine if it was a casual friendly retelling of the series' inception.

It'd be a confusing overbloated mess. Because stuffing 8 gym battles, Team Rocket, Elite Four, and your rivalry all at once is a great way for you movie to fall apart.

Detective pikachu works because it's one set story. The Pokemon games are a series of stories, that's why it goes so well with sequential media.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The thing is, if they use ash they are kinda pigeon holed into actually following the lore that is already there. Ex he has pikachu, misty and Brock etc. if they wanted to tell their own unique story, they could go with Red and give him whatever starters they want and Pokémon
Eh, not really. I would argue using Ash only really requires you use Pikachu as his primary Pokemon and the Team Rocket trio as villains as those are the only consistent parts of the series. From there, they can do what they want as far as what kind of adventure he goes on.

He's had lots of companions over the years and he canonically has like 60 Pokemon to choose for the rest of his team. There's a lot of freedom there and things to play with.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Last edited:

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a good idea to be honest, unless it's multiple movies or something I can't see how it would work.

Like, Pokemon origins was kind of cool but it was so rushed that it felt disjointed.

Detective Pikachu was a perfect idea for a pokemon movie because it's a self contained simple story that won't be trying to juggle 50 different things.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, hope this is true. Been wanting this for a long time.

Also, let the main character be called Red, don't use Ash, dude is a loser.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What are the chances that the redhead girl in the Detective Pikachu trailer is secretly Misty? I mean, she even has a Psyduck soooo

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
So dog fights arent cool to watch on liveleaks but paint them yellow and make em breath fire and everythings cool huh?

I wonder how theyll handle that

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So dog fights arent cool to watch on liveleaks but paint them yellow and make em breath fire and everythings cool huh?

I wonder how theyll handle that
there's already gonna be battles in Detective Pikachu

and I still doubt this rumor. a sports-themed pokemon movie, sure, but adapting the games just means it would be as much of a mess as Pokemon Origins

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I want this, but I also like how Detective Pikachu did it even better. More true to the characters and will be more memorable than realistic takes.
It's the same artist. He got attention for his realistic portrayals of pokes in his art then got hired to actually do the designs for the Det Pikachu movie.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to do 8 gyms. They'll probably skip or clip show a bunch of thems, or the film might focus on the Team Rocket subplot and not even cover the whole Pokémon league.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
The spinoff about a psychic Mewtwo could be the Mewtwo in the Detective Pikachu game. If the movie is following that plot at all, I wonder if Mewtwo will be in it in the same capacity.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The spinoff about a psychic Mewtwo could be the Mewtwo in the Detective Pikachu game. If the movie is following that plot at all, I wonder if Mewtwo will be in it in the same capacity.
that spinoff is allegedly a prequel, staring Mewtwo and the main bad guy of Detective Pikachu.

I'm not against the idea, I just hoped that a Pokemon Ranger movie would be next

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Except Kanto is based on a region in Japan with it's culture and folklore clearly based from Japan. And Lt. Surge is known as the lighting American.

Sure, but based on doesn't mean it IS Japan. It's also a land where it's culturally acceptable to send your kids around the world with monsters to fight other monsters, and as someone who has been to Japan multiple times (Tokyo 3 or 4 times, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Osaka, and Kyoto), I don't remember that happening in my travels. It might borrow certain aspects from a real place, but it's not a real place. It's a cartoon. If it's literally "Pokemon: Red and Blue" and based on the game and not the TV show, Japanese culture is even less important when choosing an actress to play her since the only time we see Misty in that is when she's standing around a swimming pool.

If someone thinks a redhead from the west is the best choice to play a cartoon character who has red hair, that's a perfectly valid opinion.

I don't think this is really comparable to, say, Ghost in the Shell, which literally does take place in Japan and quite clearly had characters who are Japanese.

Last edited:

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, man. Don't know how I missed this.
CGI Ash will be an experience.
The whole "CGI remake of the first movie" is literally just speculation based on that trailer but it keeps getting reported as fact despite (as far as I know) no specific details have actually been announced about the movie. And Pokemon movies have always had CGI mixed in so just cause Mewtwo is CGI in a teaser doesn't mean everything in the movie will be CGI.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "CGI remake of the first movie" is literally just speculation based on that trailer but it keeps getting reported as fact despite (as far as I know) no specific details have actually been announced about the movie. And Pokemon movies have always had CGI mixed in so just cause Mewtwo is CGI in a teaser doesn't mean everything in the movie will be CGI.
Name another pokemon movie with all cgi pokemon. It's a cgi movie

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Name another pokemon movie with all cgi pokemon. It's a cgi movie
I guess. But it's just a short teaser trailer. Doesn't necessarily represent the whole movie. Plus people keep reporting it as a remake of the first movie. Which I mean it's likely to be related to given the name but I'm betting on it following the current movie alternate timeline thing, so I don't think we'll be seeing like Brock and Misty, so it's not going to be a straight remake.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I'm eager for the trainer focused sports movie, I want a nature documentary.

Give me Planet Earth Pokemon Edition.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How reliable is wegotthiscovered.com? I've never heard of them before.
I did some research

The answer is "Not very". They've made many claims about things that never came to be.

The only reason this seems to have spread is because it's essentially a fanboy's dream. A Mewtwo movie and an adaptation of a Kanto League journey?

Honestly, I think you can't fit the latter into 2 hours without it being rushed and awful.

But regardless, could this be real? Sure. Should we treat it as such or as likely? Not based on the reporting site's prior record.

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Make 2 simultaneous movies with minimal differences as well for the authentic experience