• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They both like to talk about how bad Windows Store at any opportunity with little interest in the actual games. I find it particularly odd how they can both not only support other consoles but enjoy those games with little concern about how even more restricted they are.

It seems every thread they can talk about not using Windows Store they will. I too would like SO come to Steam but if it's only on Xbox One then that was the only choice, just like if it's only on Windows Store for the PC. That's the way it is.

You know, you don't need to get into the same argument constantly everyday with them.

I feel like this is becoming an obsession. Move on already.

The only answer is they expect Windows Store to be just like Steam. Well I expect Nintendo's online to be just like Sony and Microsoft too but it ain't, so does that mean we should boycott the Switch?

Yes.

If one feels Nintendo's online system is unacceptable I find no fault in them refusing to pay the online fee or outright not owning the system because of it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
They both like to talk about how bad Windows Store at any opportunity with little interest in the actual games. I find it particularly odd how they can both not only support other consoles but enjoy those games with little concern about how even more restricted they are. The only answer is they expect Windows Store to be just like Steam. Well I expect Nintendo's online to be just like Sony and Microsoft too but it ain't, so does that mean we should boycott the Switch?

It seems every thread they can talk about not using Windows Store they will. I too would like SO come to Steam but if it's only on Xbox One then that was the only choice, just like if it's only on Windows Store for the PC. That's the way it is.

I literally am not planning on buying a Switch right now because of how they handle online features, especially saves.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I completely understand how crap the windows store is ive read the feedback and its blatantly got issues. The flipside to this is i havent ever had any issues. Touch wood. So it's hard for me to hate it to the level that others do.

If it means I get SO on pc I'll use it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Another good shot in the arm for Steam:
https://www.thqnordic.com/games/sunset-overdrive gives an "unauthorized" page, where as a page that doesn't actually exist (say, https://www.thqnordic.com/games/halo) gives a "could not be found" error.
unknown.png

unknown.png

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
You know, you don't need to get into the same argument constantly everyday with them.

I feel like this is becoming an obsession. Move on already.

Thanks for this. It's becoming really awkward how that guy is stalking us :s

I completely understand how crap the windows store is ive read the feedback and its blatantly got issues. The flipside to this is i havent ever had any issues. Touch wood. So it's hard for me to hate it to the level that others do.

If it means I get SO on pc I'll use it.

That store being bad is only a minor part of the problem for me. I'm more concerned about the fact that the Windows Store is selling PC games as locked down encrypted UWP apps, that can't be modded, tweaked, improved or fixed by the community without aid and permission of the developer. I really don't want this to become the future of PC gaming, so I won't support it with my money. The open nature of PC gaming is more important to me than a few Microsoft exclusives.

Another good shot in the arm for Steam:
https://www.thqnordic.com/games/sunset-overdrive gives an "unauthorized" page, where as a page that doesn't actually exist (say, https://www.thqnordic.com/games/halo) gives a "could not be found" error.
unknown.png

unknown.png

Nice find m8!

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I'm equally confident they won't, based on Stinkles posts on the matter over the months.
Yeah, the PC FPS space I way too competitive that I can't see them maintaining a steady player base on the dead UWP platform.

Only porting them for the Campaign isn't worth the effort either. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

If they don't announce the ports on Sunday it's probably safe to say that they're never coming to PC.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope that they will tweak LOD distance and in general do more than resolution/framerate upgrade.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That protection is not useful for an app per se, it's useful for the user.

On win32 if you want to install a simple calculator app you have to give it as much permission as you'd give to install an antivirus, or an system driver... Which is the loophole malware uses to harm your system. On uwp since installation is a well defined process this is no longer necessary.

And it may be a more complicated process, but it's something that only needs to be done once (and that can be easily automated via scripts/win32 installers with system level access.)

Finding the app folder will definitely be cumbersome though, their naming convention is not user friendly at all.
That argument is just 100% wrong from start to finish. Giving admin users access to their application folders by default would not, in any way, shape or form, mean that a calculator would need as many permissions as an antivirus program.
100% bullshit.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That argument is just 100% wrong from start to finish. Giving admin users access to their application folders by default would not, in any way, shape or form, mean that a calculator would need as many permissions as an antivirus program.
100% bullshit.
You have to give admin rights for any win32 program to install itself. That's because win32 has no installation process defined, what it has is another win32 process that needs access rights for meddling with the system to copy files to a common folder, adding registry entries and so on.

How is any of this bullshit?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
You have to give admin rights for any win32 program to install itself.
No. A program can install itself to any folder that doesn't require admin rights. I've written several that do.
But that's completely besides the point.

All of what you wrote is bullshit - let's recap:
  1. Original point: Installing even basic mods is made insanely difficult by UWP app distribution compared to Win32 distribution -- even without getting into the whole sandboxing/encryption thing -- just based on file access.
  2. Suggestion made: Microsoft should make it easier to access those files.
  3. Your counterargument: No, that protection helps the user, with the implication that otherwise calculators require the same permission as an antivirus program.
  4. Actual fact, as pointed out by me: giving people acting as administrative users as per UAC and all that entails access to the app files changes absolutely nothing regarding the permission applications themselves have when running, or require during their installation process.
    Nothing.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
You have to give admin rights for any win32 program to install itself. That's because win32 has no installation process defined, what it has is another win32 process that needs access rights for meddling with the system to copy files to a common folder, adding registry entries and so on.

Yea no this isn't true. You need admin rights to install applications in protected locations. You can install apps all day to your own user profile without admin rights (unless the application specifically requires them).

And one COULD make the argument that Win32 applications do have a defined installation process through the Windows Installer (msiexec) to at least somewhat standardize the process, but because it's open obviously things like InstallShield and WISE exist as well. I do agree that a standard would be great, but with all of the other downsides to UWP specific to gaming, I don't like it.

Last edited:

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Funny thing you mentioning the calculator. We decided at work to disable/uninstall all unnecessary UWP crap that was pre-installed on our Win10 machines.

Now the calculator won't start anymore.

UWP and Win10 in general bring a butt load of unnessesary problems for system admins.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing you mentioning the calculator. We decided at work to disable/uninstall all unnecessary UWP crap that was pre-installed on our Win10 machines.

Now the calculator won't start anymore.

UWP and Win10 in general bring a butt load of unnessesary problems for system admins.

You can very easily manage all of this via PowerShell and ensure you don't disable the wrong apps.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
No. A program can install itself to any folder that doesn't require admin rights. I've written several that do.
But that's completely besides the point.
Sure, some programs don't even need to be installed. However some won't even run if you don't consent admin rights.

Which is precisely my point, there's no defined installation process on win32,

All of what you wrote is bullshit - let's recap:
  1. Original point: Installing even basic mods is made insanely difficult by UWP app distribution compared to Win32 distribution -- even without getting into the whole sandboxing/encryption thing -- just based on file access.
  2. Suggestion made: Microsoft should make it easier to access those files.
  3. Your counterargument: No, that protection helps the user, with the implication that otherwise calculators require the same permission as an antivirus program.
  4. Actual fact, as pointed out by me: giving people acting as administrative users as per UAC and all that entails access to the app files changes absolutely nothing regarding the permission applications themselves have when running, or require during their installation process.
    Nothing.
Your recap is wrong. My counter argument was: I agree that it should be easier to get access, however the protection is there for a reason.

And for 4: How is that giving full system access to applications to do anything when they are being installed changes nothing? That's again precisely my point, that for install a simple application that shouldn't ever ever request system access you have to give them that right to install themselves, and once you do you are at it's hand, which is what the trusted installer/security rights of uwp tries to solve.

Unless you are trying to say that having the install folder by default accessible only to a trusted installer, and that installer is trusted because it's guaranteed it will only install the application (and remove them as well) is not a solution to this problem?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Your recap is wrong. My counter argument was: I agree that it should be easier to get access, however the protection is there for a reason.

And for 4: How is that giving full system access to applications to do anything when they are being installed changes nothing? That's again precisely my point, that for install a simple application that shouldn't ever ever request system access you have to give them that right to install themselves, and once you do you are at it's hand, which is what the trusted installer/security rights of uwp tries to solve.

Unless you are trying to say that having the install folder by default accessible only to a trusted installer, and that installer is trusted because it's guaranteed it will only install the application (and remove them as well) is not a solution to this problem?
And you implied (and are implying again) that preventing administrative users from accessing this folder is a required part of this protection. Or that it changes anything the application is allowed to do.

At this point the only thing I'm not sure of is whether you are disingenuous or whether you really simply don't understand how file permissions work. To make it very clear:
With the exact same UWP installation process as now, if Microsoft were to simply allow administrative users full access to UWP folders by default, absolutely nothing would change concerning what either the installer or the program itself is allowed to do.
The rights of the "app" to access and modify any files are entirely and fundamentally distinct from and in no way connected to or influenced by the rights of the administrator to access and edit the application files.

That restriction is exclusively about "protecting" applications from users (and owners of the application and the PC they are running on), and absolutely not required or even contributing in any way to protecting users from malicious applications (despite that being repeatedly implied by you).

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice if they could also ressurect the PC version of Viva Piñata and release that on Steam while they're at it.

I'm sooo happy! Day one for me!

The game has been out for 4 years and you didn't buy an Xbox. Now it's coming to steam you're suddenly extremely excited and will buy it day one? Sad.

:P

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Best Insomniac game this gen and I played Spider-Man and R&C. What an underrated gem. Hopefully it gets the attention it deserves on PC.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
It would be nice if they could also ressurect the PC version of Viva Piñata and release that on Steam while they're at it.

I would love that but it would need some patching. It doesn't run higher than 1080p60 which these days is not really acceptable. I bet it would look lovely in 4K. That would be something the Xbox One X could do with its version if it got enhanced.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The game has been out for 4 years and you didn't buy an Xbox. Now it's coming to steam you're suddenly extremely excited and will buy it day one? Sad.

:P
Probably it's sarcasm, but if it isn't (so it's for other ppl that were actually serious about this argument):

What the hell are you talking about?

Now I need to buy a console for ONE game? Yep, I don't care about Halo, Forza etc, I'm "just" an Insomniac fan, but not enough to spend all that money to play one single game, crazy ah?!
I'll prefer to wait and hope for a porting if it's plausible, and in this case it was.

In the first years I already had a PS4 and I was (and still do) happy with it, then MS started to port their games on PC and Play Anywhere was a thing.
Quantum Break was released on Steam too... the more time has passed and more plausible has become the possibility of Sunset Overdrive on PC/Steam, and now it's real!

We can finally play the game that we wanted, most likely at 60FPS too, with season pass included and discounted price.

What's the "bad" part? That we waited 4 years for play it cause we made that choice since money doesn't grow on trees and, for my case at least, I can't buy whatever I want, I need to invest that money for the future, and I know that with PS4 I'm going to have certain games from certain developers and it's the same with Xbox One, but the major MS exclusives never appealed to me.

So... stop bashing people that don't want to buy a console to play one exclusive game since they already have a PS4/PC/Switch to play their favorite games, jeez... those fanboy arguments are so lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.