TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 launched 4 and half years ago. Rockstar is still riding high on GTA V, which originally launched nearly 5 years ago on the last gen consoles, but which is amazingly still going fucking strong with GTA Online. Hell, the ps4 port came out 3.5 years ago and just got discounted to a sub $20 pricepoint for the first time EVER during a PSN sale. This kind of staying power is unprecedented for a console title.

With RDR II not coming out for a few months and Rockstar's habit of spacing out their titles, we can expect to wait a year minimum (minimum) for the next GTA, at which point we'll be gearing up for the next gen most likely.

Who would have predicted this when the ps4 launched?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe that GTAV is still a top 5 game in the NPD almost every month.

I still think they're going to aim for a end of current gen release (2020), which allows for an easy re-release at the beginning of next gen where everyone double dips. It sure as fuck worked well last time!

Oct 25, 2017
The Skyrim theory. Port game to everything and milk it to death until you reveal the next entry and the hype cycle begins anew.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
GTA V was announced 7 years ago. It's hard to see them announcing a new GTA at this point, I've come to accept they're happy with the online game to perpetuity

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Their games are now basically projects unified as one company rather than multiple studios working on different things.

Also, GTA V makes hand over fist still so

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You kind of just stated the reasons why it isn't hard to believe in your post, OP.

2014Charger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 8, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 is releasing in 5 months and you are surprised they arent announcing a nee GTA game? Wha?

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
GTA Online changes things.

I still do think that Rockstar will try a new mainstream GTA to deliver the online tho. GTAV sold over 70 million, only a fraction of them bought it for online play and only some of them bother to spend money online, but GTA online is still a massive success nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to believe that GTAV is still a top 5 game in the NPD almost every month.

I still think they're going to aim for a end of current gen release (2020), which allows for an easy re-release at the beginning of next gen where everyone double dips. It sure as fuck worked well last time!

This. Or they just hold over till next gen and build up on GTA V even more.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing hard to believe about this. The game is still a top 10 seller every year. Brings in a ton of cash.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
A part of me thinks by the time GTA VI comes out, every single person who helped make GTA IV-V will have left and joined another studio.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
It's not hard to believe for me. RDR has all the marketing now.

I wouldn't rule out a GTA VI announcement on the game award or something

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see people itt speak as if Rockstar has no games coming out when RDR2 exists.

Oct 27, 2017
what makes gta online so popular?

i played it on ps3 a few times with friends when it first came out

have they added alot more content, and things to do?
Yeah.

You can do heists, own bussiness, have a biker gang and a very huge racing community.

That might sound great on paper but the game has plenty of problems which include long loading screens, bad servers, the need to grind and the economy in general is very expansive.
GTA V & Online also generated $6 billion in revenue for Rockstar...more revenue than any other film, book, or video game in history. It's an absolute juggernaut that's changed Rockstar so radically that I would even call them a different company now.
Yeah.

If it weren't for GTA Online we would have had much more Rockstar Games like the PS2 era or PS3.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not surprising, RDR2 is coming and GTAV is still selling, you'll only hear about GTA6 several years after RDR2's launch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a GTA VI announcement until 3 years from now. I don't think it's hard to believe, considering the amount of people it requires to make a game these days. They're all on RDR2 and GTA Online. GTA VI is surely being worked on, but you can bet it's very much in pre-production at the moment.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing on the edge of the console transition seemed like a sweetspot for them last time. Might as well repeat that strategy.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Between how much they love milking GTAO, and how long a game with V's fidelity takes to create, I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I'd expect a Switch port before VI.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That reminds me. I should play GTAV again. Since there was no frickin expansion or DLC.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
GTAVI is a next gen game. Anyone expecting it to release on the PS4/xb1 isn't paying attention.

My guess for the next few R* game releases:
-2018:RDR2
-2020/2021:GTAV 4K on ps5/xb2
-2021/2022: RDR2 for the ps5/xb2
-2024/2025: GTAVI

There will probably be a switch port of GTAV somewhere in there too.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Weird to see people itt speak as if Rockstar has no games coming out when RDR2 exists.

This generation is coming to an end. Between RDR2 (which isn't even out yet) and GTA V, what did we get??

Remember LA Noire? Max Payne 3? Midnight Club LA? All the single player DLCs? Table fucking Tennis?
Besides Red Dead Redemption, by this point last gen we got so many games from them already.

The time between GTA V and when RDR2 releases will be the same amount of time it took for all the games mentioned above to release.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still outselling basically every other game in the world month after month.

Why would you make a new one now?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
When you have a GaaS like GTA Online you don't need to invest in new titles

That's the beauty of it

You make one game and keep it ticking along for profit for as long as you can

We will see a new GTA, but there is no rush

People prefer GaaS to a new game every few years, I don't know why, but they do