• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in shock that nintendo announced Prime 4 at e3 last year. It's insane to me that not only did nintendo continue the franchise but it's a new prime title. After the terrible sales of games like federation force and other m you would think they would've just given up on the franchise or just made smaller 2d games like Samus returns and even those would probably be regulated to third parties like mercury steam. But no they are making a new big 3D HD title that will take a lot of resources and time to make. Doing something like this with mario and zelda made sense but metroid the franchise that with each individial game sells less than a fourth of what a mainline Zelda and Mario game does is crazy. Also with the prime games they have been dipping in sales too (Prime 3 sold less than prime 1 despite being on the Wii Nintendo's best selling home console). If you asked me before e3 I would have never imagined Nintendo would do another big budget prime title but here we are. And at e3 2018 we are going to see this beauty in action most likely. But to be doing something like this Nintendo must really love the Metroid franchise or for some secret reason believe it will do really well.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I just hope it runs in 60fps again and the human character designs, if there are any, (including Samus' face) don't get messed up like they did in Prime 3.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think if Nintendo went hard with marketing and/or created a new type of Metroid game that Metroid would sell a lot better.

I really hope they don't screw Prime up.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I always figured it was obvious a Metroid game was coming and that the Wii U just wasn't the place to put it. Personally I was hoping for a third person adventure game but I'm glad Metroid fans are getting what they want.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I want the title to be Metroid Prime 4: Metastasis (in reference to Phazon and Dark Samus).

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. After years of mistreatment of the series, I had given up hope.

Prime is the GOAT.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really is. From the outside, I could see that logo reveal last year looked like it didn't mean much but to Metroid fans it was a huge deal. It was a "we hear you"

48john

Jan 9, 2018
Seriously. People always thought Nintendo was crazy for sleeping on the series and kept clamoring for Metroid online but in reality they really had no real reason to continue it, all Metroid games since Prime 2 or so have underperformed or flopped, series has never been a big seller in general either. I just hope all the fans who've been asking for it actually buy it this time around

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really is. From the outside, I could see that logo reveal last year looked like it didn't mean much but to Metroid fans it was a huge deal. It was a "we hear you"

Smaus Returns helped too.

I was super frustrated after they claimed "we know what fans want" immediately after releasing Federation Force.

I guess they knew these games were in the pipeline and we're trying to reassure people.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The return of Metroid is my favorite thing about Nintendo's resurgence in general. The Metroid 2 remake was fantastic (IMO) and if Prime 4 is on par with the original trilogy (not Hunters, Pinball, and Federation Force) then I'll be beyond thrilled with it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also, with BN being the rumored developer, this is likely the first real attempt at an AAA FPS from Japan isn't it?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Metroid Prime, until BotW, was my favourite Nintendo game ever, but I kind of don't see why they'd make a direct sequel to 3 after all this time, especially when it's not even the same staff.

I would have preferred a 'new' subseries I think. I don't trust Bamco.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's not that insane, there were already 3 main series games and a 3DS spinoff not that long ago. Metroid Prime was always going to come back, especially after they made such a serious misstep with Other M.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Smash Bros.
Bayonetta 3
Prime 4

Nintendo has already won E3 for me. Anything else is icing.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda get the feeling Nintendo wants this game to be a hardware showcase game... meaning they will care about graphical fidelity here... for Nintendo standards that is

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. People always thought Nintendo was crazy for sleeping on the series and kept clamoring for Metroid online but in reality they really had no real reason to continue it, all Metroid games since Prime 2 or so have underperformed or flopped, series has never been a big seller in general either. I just hope all the fans who've been asking for it actually buy it this time around
It's gonna be one of the first major FPS games on Switch, so I think it's got a better chance at success than just about any Metroid game before it, 2D or 3D.
Kinda get the feeling Nintendo wants this game to be a hardware showcase game... meaning they will care about graphical fidelity here... for Nintendo standards that is
Let's hope that they find a way to deliver dope visuals at 60fps like Retro did with Prime.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't. We already knew that Prime 4 would be back with the end of Federation Force and how Tanabe and Reggie talked about the series before the release of Federation Force and how a new Metroid only could appear in the NX.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Metroid Prime, until BotW, was my favourite Nintendo game ever, but I kind of don't see why they'd make a direct sequel to 3 after all this time, especially when it's not even the same staff.

I would have preferred a 'new' subseries I think. I don't trust Bamco.
I'm not convinced it's actually going to be Prime 4. I suspect there will be a name change at the very least.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think they will be able to do justice to the expectations that Prime carries with it, but I have been proven wrong many times in the past, so...

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
don't celebrate just yet. Getting a Mass Effect 4 in Frostbite was a dream come true, until it happened. And it was a nightmare

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has no idea what to do with the series after Other M and Federation Force. They are throwing Prime 4 at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one that doesn't really surprise me. I'm stoked for it for sure! But to me there was never much doubt that we'd get a new mainline Metroid sooner or later--be it a Prime 4 or a new 3D series or a new 2D game.

It's not like it's a series that's been dead a long time. It had mainline entries on NES, Gameboy, SNES, GBA, Gamecube and Wii, and spinoffs on Wii, DS and 3DS (that were all poorly received) and a good remake on 3DS. I get those spinoffs caused concern for some, but it's not like the good games in the series were that long ago like it is for things like Star Tropics or Earthbound and other truly dead franchises that would be huge surprises to get full on sequels.

Plus Nintendo knows they need some "mature" exclusives and an exclusive shooter to fill that gap in their library and Metroid is always the most obvious answer there since Rare left.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it'll be good.

Metroid is such a volatile and sensitive franchise in terms of design that it's one of those games you won't know the greatness of it until it's in your hands.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They're kind of obligated to make these big entries into their flagship IP's, it's the only way the Switch will succeed. The market has been asking for it for a while, this isn't some kind of risky undertaking. It's the obvious only way forward.

What was risky was trying to pull it off on failing and underpowered hardware like the Wii U with rushed and failed titles like Starfox.

The only thing to worry about is if they'll go overboard with gimmicks and end up losing sight of what made the games fun to begin with.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't. We already knew that Prime 4 would be back with the end of Federation Force and how Tanabe and Reggie talked about the series before the release of Federation Force and how a new Metroid only could appear in the NX.

This pretty much, Nintendo were openly saying that they had plans to do Prime 4. Plus I did not get excited for a number 4 floating in space as there was no gameplay footage nor was there any release date attached.

It was a "we hear you"

Nah it was "Here's a number 4, enjoy your empty hype." Which Nintendo did so that Metroid Samus Return wouldn't suffer from a negative reception for being a 3DS game, they realised just how volatile and toxic the Metroid fanbase was.

They're kind of obligated to make these big entries into their flagship IP's, it's the only way the Switch will succeed.

Metroid isn't a flagship title and the Switch succeed just fine without it in the first year.

The market has been asking for it for a while, this isn't some kind of risky undertaking. It's the obvious only way forward.

A very vocal niche market had been asking for it and the Metroid series aren't big sellers, Prime 3 was on the Wii and even that game didn't pull in big numbers.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Metroid Prime, the original gamecube game, sold pretty well IIRC. So a polished, fresh, innovative Metroid game absolutely will sell. I will buy MP4 most likely no matter what, but to get big sales I think they need to do a big renovation somehow. Not necessarily open world, but something.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, Samus Returns clearly contradicts it.

That was also a case of throwing something at the wall. Other M bombed, and the reaction to Federation Force was rightfully awful, so logically they went back to what people actually wanted to see if it works. It's why we're getting Prime 4 and not another 3rd person 3D Metroid like Other M.

And 3DS probably worked out well since it gave them some post-Switch filler and it allowed for a lower budget just in case the market didn't want 2D Metroid anymore. It probably would have gotten a little backlash for being on 3DS if not for the Prime 4 announcement like Mr Joker said, but nothing remotely close to the well deserved vitrol that Federation Force got. Samus Returns was going to be the first actual Metroid game in a generation, so most fans would have happy despite the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.