• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Disclaimer: This thread will be referencing a leak of information about Fire Emblem: Three Houses that has so far been proven to be overwhelmingly accurate, so if you don't want to be spoiled on anything, turn back now. But you've already clicked on the thread, so you might as well read on and help out!

Most people following Fire Emblem: Three Houses are probably aware of the big info dump that was posted on Reddit about the game, and over the past month or so, literally everything in that very extensive leak has turned out to be true. Most of the stuff leaked was very exciting, but there were a few troubling aspects as well, namely, that the currently known male same sex options for romantic supports have been limited to exactly one character, (Lindhardt) while female same sex romantic supports reportedly have at least five options, (Edelgard, Dorthea, Mercedes, Rhea and adult Sothis) with most likely more. First off, it's amazing that female same sex romantic pairing seem to be a lot more varied this time, and that should be applauded. There is the troubling side note that this may be attributed to the developers wanting to leverage female same sex pairing primarily for their straight male audience, and that's a topic that deserves its own thread, but queer female gamers deserve to have content specifically made for them available in gaming, particularly for a series like FE that has such a diverse player base, so I'm going to choose to highlight the positive aspects of that inclusion here.

But that brings us to the men. As far as the leak goes, and based on the information that has been coming out of E³, there is only one probable male character that male Byleth can achieve an S Support (romantic) with, and that's Lindhardt. We know very little about Lindhardt at the moment, so I can't say how his portrayal will turn out, but from initial impressions, he seems to fit the mold of the lithe, pretty boy/effeminate characters of the last two FEs that have been bisexual/gay. (Niles and Leon.) Very Important Note: There is absolutely nothing wrong with effeminate queer male characters in games, or in any media. They are not lesser than other queer male portrayals, and they don't shed a bad light on the gay community. The problem is when queer portrayals are used to spread hurtful stereotypes and tropes. Fire Emblem already has a shaky background when it comes to their queer characters, so there is reason to be apprehensive-- Niles being portrayed as a "freak", Rhajat being a stalker, Soleil being used to queerbait while also having an abhorrent support that suggests she needs to be "cured" of her attraction to other females, (despite not being able to actually S support with any of them), and Leon pining for a straight man he can never be with, and then stating he'd rather be alone than search for another man. (And this is not to mention all the other queerbaiting that has happened in the series.)

But the main problem with this so far, is the sheer lack of choice for queer male players, and anyone else who wanted to pursue male same sex romantic relationships in the game. Fire Emblem has a very large gay fanbase, and romantic supports are a staple and a huge draw for many players. It's not acceptable that gay male players are most likely once again stuck with one choice, and aren't offered anything near the variety that straight players have. While we don't have all the details yet, as I mentioned above, according to the leak, and the info released this week, it's looking pretty bleak right now for us.

For example, this is a list of all the supports that Male Byleth can have with the Blue Lions house, ironically the house with the most male characters:
uhSxovV.jpg

You'll notice that he can have S Supports with the three female characters, but none of the male characters. This matches what was stated in the leak. (Also, just as an aside, you can't do any romantic supports with characters until after the 5 year time skip, so all the characters will be adults then.)

So this brings me to the point of the topic, if this is also unacceptable to you, and if you want to help do something about it, please consider contacting Nintendo and Intelligence Systems to ask for clarification on this matter. Know any game journalists currently at E³? Ask if they can get a comment from Nintendo regarding this while they are there. Send some tweets. Write a few emails. Get your FE loving friends involved. Straight allies? Want to do something helpful for your gay friends? Then please help out! It might seem trivial to you to get upset about a video game, but as most queer people will tell you, one of the hardest parts about life as a queer person is that we have to strive for any sort of acceptance in life, from the biggest things, to the smallest. We deserve just as many "frivolous" things as anyone else, and that includes being able to immerse ourselves into games like this.

And Nintendo/Journalists, if you're reading this, and you have information contrary to this, please let us know! I'd love to be proven wrong about this. But if it is correct, I urge you to do something about it. Queer players deserve better than the treatment we've been given so far, and you can help make a difference!

List of Notable Contacts:
Nintendo Japan
Nintendo of America
Intelligence Systems
Doug Bowser
Bill Trinen

Thanks for reading. Happy Wrath Month!

P.S. Anyone who feels it's necessary to come into this topic to complain, yell "who cares", wax poetic about "creative freedoms", please consider punching yourself in the groin instead, cheers.

Update #1:

So now we have confirmation of three male same sex pairings (compared to at least five female pairings), with Gilbert and Alois being the newly revealed options.

The fact that they're both older married men with children, and one of them is a friend of your father's, is certainly something...

I don't know how I feel about this, at first glance it feels really lame. I don't have a problem with them being older, but the other factors are a bit sketchy.

Will there be more? I guess we'll see.

Update #2:

So bad news, it gets even worse. The game has been leaked and it has been confirmed that the Alois and Gilbert S ranks are not romantic in nature at all, purely platonic. So gamers that are interested in a male same sex option have exactly one "choice", Linhardt. There are also no romantic same sex pairings between any of the non-MC male characters. Two of the pairings have what can be construed as vague subtext (bleh), but nothing clear and outright. Once again, queer male gamers, and those interested in queer male content, get next to nothing.

On the bright side, all the female same sex S ranks are romantic in nature, and there are multiple romantic female A rank pairings.

Last edited:

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not every male has to be gay/bi, but I guess I agree that more choices would be good.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's important to note that the leaker said that Linhardt was the only character they were aware of, but that their information about supports was based on early development and things could have changed/there could have been more they simply weren't aware of.

But yeah, I'm not feeling particularly optimistic. I generally haven't been into FE that much, but this one has actually been getting me pretty hyped. But if they screw over queer male options like this then my hype will drop pretty quickly.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
I was worried something like this would happen. Nintendo does the bare minimum to not be seen as homophobic.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I really think you should wait for the full game before making a thread like this, since none of this is confirmed and it's just speculation (and worse it could end up being potential spoilers), at this point this should be discussed in the leak thread until it's confirmed in game imo.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So they were pretty much right about everything so far except for this one detail?

I think it's more that the info they received was from early on in the game, and as such, they weren't as sure on the support systems and who they applied to, as that was something that could change/evolve as time went on.

I also seem to recall the leaker being the least confident on some of the support options, especially same-sex.

OP
OP
Hours Left

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I really think you should wait for the full game before making a thread like this, since none of this is confirmed and it's just speculation (and worse it could end up being potential spoilers), at this point this should be discussed in the leak thread until it's confirmed in game imo.
It needs to be addressed beforehand so players can make an informed decision.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Regardless of male same-sex supports who show up later, the fact that there is a whole house (i.e. route) without any of the main characters being one by itself is terrible.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The point is to get clarification before the game releases.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The leak didn't say only one male same sex support. They said the name of the one they knew since supports weren't fully developed yet

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Regardless of male same-sex supports who show up later, the fact that there is a whole house (i.e. route) without any of the main characters being one by itself is terrible.
Although I agree there should've been a same-sex option in every house, choosing the Blue Lions supposedly shouldn't cut you off from an option in another house. You can still build supports with characters from other houses and potentially recruit them to your side after the war starts if certain conditions are met.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Hope there's more than 1 option.

Holy shit when will they get the memo?

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so just for context the quote from the leaker is

The support list was still early in development when I got my information I think, so there could still be many more I don't know about.

in reference to Lynhart being the only gay male romance option. So maybe there is still hope? Kind of hard to say at this point, hopefully there are more

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I somehow really hope that this is a screenshot of an older build of the game. I want to believe. Mainly because I think Leon in Echoes was well done which brings me to …

Leon pining for a straight man he can never be with, and then stating he'd rather be alone than search for another man
I don't where you got that from, so I checked his supports again, but they seem to indicate the opposite of what you're saying.
Kamui: It's about what you said before. So what would you do if Valbar ended up being the opposite of your ideal?
Leon: Well, that's an absurd question. But in the interest of humoring you and passing the time... Well, I suppose I'd set off looking for a man who met my perfect ideal. A journey like that might actually be kind of... fun.
Valbar: […] Anyway, I avenged them [his family], so there's no point in hanging on to hate.
[…]
Valbar: Worries, eh? I didn't think you were the type for all that.
Leon: Uh, hi? Rude? I've my share of concern, the same as anyone else. Such as a not-insignificant case of unrequited love.
Valbar: ...Oh. That.
Leon: Heh heh. But it's fine. Emotions come in many forms, and as you say, there's no point in hanging on. I'm still glad I have these feelings, and nothing will change that.
Marked in bold. (source: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Leon/Supports)

His base conversations also indicate the opposite:
Leon: When I was a kid, there was this guy that I was head over heels for. He's the reason I enlisted, actually. Just so I could stay close to him. He died in the first battle we fought. I cried so hard, I thought my eyes were going to float clean out of my skull. Valbar saved me from that. Every time he saw me, he'd take the time to say something. Cheer me up. What can you do with a man like that but fall in love? You're thinking I'm a tramp, aren't you? Well, I'm not. It's hardly my fault that the world is full of wonderful, lovable people. Such a thing really motivates one to get out there and save it.
He was in love, was heartbroken and found a new love. He then hints at being able to find a new love again. (source: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/base-conversations/leon/)

His ending also states that he separates from Valbar after having an injury.
Welcomed into the One Kingdom's Brotherhood of Knights, Leon remained at Valbar's side until an injury ended his fighting career. He then took up work as a merchant in the city market, where he lived free, happy, and dauntlessly true to himself to the last.
(source: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Leon#Ending)

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna date Claude and the Blue Haired boy, guess im not playing this lol.

After Niles Im not even fuckin surprised, we're less than human to most anime content producers, the only time we are acknowledged is when we're marketable to girls as fetishized yaoi.

Ugh, this is infuriating.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow really hope that this is a screenshot of an older build of the game. I want to believe. Mainly because I think Leon in Echoes was well done which brings me to …

I don't where you got that from, so I checked his supports again, but they seem to indicate the opposite of what you're saying.

His base conversations also indicate the opposite:He was in love, was heartbroken and found a new love. He then hints at being able to find a new love again. (source: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/base-conversations/leon/)

His ending also states that he separates from Valbar after having an injury.(source: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Leon#Ending)
The problem with leon is hes still an androgynous boy aimed at yaoi fans/fujoshis over a real attempt at actual gay representation.

Until we start getting common gays that aren't so stereotypical, these portrayals will never be particularly good.

OP
OP
Hours Left

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

His base conversations also indicate the opposite:He was in love, was heartbroken and found a new love. He then hints at being able to find a new love again. (source: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/base-conversations/leon/)

His ending also states that he separates from Valbar after having an injury.(source: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Leon#Ending)
I don't get the impression that he's going out to find love again, just that he's accepted that Valbar won't love him the same way, and that's literally his entire character arc. Why doesn't he have a romantic option? The even tease it with Kamui, but nothing ever happens. The lonely gay man stuff is lame.

Leon is definitely the best of the confirmed gay characters, but it still leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they're actually giving us F/F romance options. While I'm elated to hear that, it won't be right if there is not an equal amount of M/M options as well. Here's hoping more information about this will come about soon.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This was hugely disappointing to find out after days of being high on optimism for Three Houses in every other respect. I know to expect the bare minimum from IS on the LGBT front, and yet they continue to find ways to disappoint. I'm actually frustrated at myself for letting this affect me despite my low expectations, but being continually treated like a second-class citizen in the eyes of creators is hurtful nonetheless.

There are 5+ known female same-sex partners in 3H according to the leaker, while only 1 male same-sex partner — a choice I think clearly stems from IS's consistent desire to pander to their straight male audience, at the expense of their sizable female and gay/bi male audiences. (It's in baffling contrast to their hiring of Chinatsu Kurahana — an otome artist who's done yaoi — as the game's artist.)

Linhardt as the sole same-sex male option follows IS's infuriating trend of putting their LGBT options into one or more of three categories: deniable subtext, stereotypes, or offensive caricatures.

They could change the pronouns in most of their straight avatar supports, make them available to same-sex avatar, and it would be more palatable than stunts like this. It's also annoying because getting a bisexual Lord — Edelgard — should be a step to celebrate, and yet the sheer number of female options pours salt in the wound of people who want decent male options.

The leak didn't say only one male same sex support. They said the name of the one they knew since supports weren't fully developed yet

They said that, as far as they knew, there was only one. But that it was early in development. We now have official confirmation that the House with the highest number of males has zero options, which while not conclusive, is both ridiculous and telling.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they're actually giving us F/F romance options. While I'm elated to hear that, it won't be right if there is not an equal amount of M/M options as well. Here's hoping more information about this will come about soon.

Given how they made sure to have exactly two same sex gimmick options in Fates, the alleged imbalance is very odd - if, of course; it actually exists.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
The biggest thing to me is whether or not the LGBT characters are able to S support with each other. Like if Edelgard and Dorthea can both marry Byleth, there's literally no reason they shouldn't be able to marry each other. People will call modern Fire Emblem a "dating sim" but I always think of the support mechanics to be more like me playing the role of a matchmaker. I barely care who my bland ass MC/avatar marries but I like to see the relationships build between the other characters.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
M-maybe we'll get Death Knight as a romance option... assuming they're a man of course. ;_;

Something's obviously better than nothing, but it'd be nice to have at least one other option.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
so just for context the quote from the leaker is

in reference to Lynhart being the only gay male romance option. So maybe there is still hope? Kind of hard to say at this point, hopefully there are more
Yeah, this being based on early support development information, it's impossible to say what the final outcome will actually look like. More would certainly be better (assuming that the quality is able to match the quantity) and I support the idea of pushing for clarification.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanna date Claude and the Blue Haired boy, guess im not playing this lol.

After Niles Im not even fuckin surprised, we're less than human to most anime content producers, the only time we are acknowledged is when we're marketable to girls as fetishized yaoi.

Ugh, this is infuriating.

You can't just, as a gay character, date characters that aren't gay even if you wish someone was gay. That's not how it works..

Anyway, hopefully there are more gay characters than what the leaks have suggested. And I have a feeling that Nintendo will address it in DLC packs as well.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can't make everyone bisexual. More options are welcome sure, but i don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. Yuri is seen in a "purer" way than Yaoi, so its no surprise there are more options for f x f.
I actually forgot, but Niles was the only bisexual character in Fates for MCorrin right?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing to me is whether or not the LGBT characters are able to S support with each other. Like if Edelgard and Dorthea can both marry Byleth, there's literally no reason they shouldn't be able to marry each other. People will call modern Fire Emblem a "dating sim" but I always think of the support mechanics to be more like me playing the role of a matchmaker. I barely care who my bland ass MC/avatar marries but I like to see the relationships build between the other characters.

The absence of that function would be extremely telling in considering it as an outgrowth of playersexuality rather than an actual part of the characters themselves.

They can't make everyone bisexual. More options are welcome sure, but i don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. Yuri is seen in a "purer" way than Yaoi, so its no surprise there are more options for f x f.
I actually forgot, but Niles was the only bisexual character in Fates for MCorrin right?

Yes, but there was also only one option for FCorrin, notTharja - the balance of one for each means that imbalanced same sex relationships have less precedent than the inverse.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can't just, as a gay character, date characters that aren't gay even if you wish someone was gay. That's not how it works..

Anyway, hopefully there are more characters than what the leaks have suggested. And I have a feeling that Nintendo will address it in DLC packs as well.

Did it ever occur to you that it's suspicious how many female characters are bisexual, while almost zero male ones are? Almost like the characters' sexualities are designed by the developers to pander to a very specific audience.

Drop the realism argument. We're talking about fictional characters who aren't A, B, or C until the developers decide they are — often for Doylist reasons. Yet, when LGBT folks dare to want to participate too, it's "sorry, that's not realistic." Or, "I'm fine with it... as long as it conforms to my arbitrary standard of being well-written." Or, "wElL aCtUAllY, OnLy X% oF PEoPle ArE gAy, sO tHeRe nOt bEinG aNy mAkES sEnSe."

OP
OP
Hours Left

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
No one in this thread has said to make everyone bisexual.

Also, female same sex relationships aren't more or less acceptable than male ones, and anything stated to the contrary is ridiculous.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck is this garbage post? Purer?

Gonna blow your mind here, but even though no one has suggested this: they actually could do whatever they want, including make everyone bi. That's why there are 5+ bisexual women, and zero gay women or gay men. Because they're pandering to straight men.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Assuming the leaks are true and there's also no further additions, It really does feel like the queer representation would be primarily for straight guys.
This is a fear of mine as well. I can understand Edelgard and Mercedes not having a pairing because they're from different houses, but Edelgard and Dorothea should absolutely have a romance option together. It shouldn't just be a single-minded attraction to Byleth.

Like props to IS for what they did with Niles and Rhajat, but it could have been a lot better. And I feel like framing so much around the self-insert was the wrong thing to do.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

With every year that passes, I get more optimistic for games to feature gay/bi men. I really expected this Fire Emblem to be a notable improvement over the previous ones.

I hope this isn't true.

Why the heck is Edelgarde an option, but not Claude.

Count me in the camp that was hoping for Claude to be romanceable by a male Byleth. :(

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Did it ever occur to you that it's suspicious how many female characters are bisexual, while almost zero male ones are? Almost like the characters' sexualities are designed by the developers to pander to a very specific audience.

Drop the realism argument. We're talking about fictional characters who aren't A, B, or C until the developers decide they are — often for Doylist reasons. Yet, when LGBT folks dare to want to participate too, it's "sorry, that's not realistic." Or, "I'm fine with it... as long as it conforms to my arbitrary standard of being well-written." Or, "wElL aCtUAllY, OnLy X% oF PEoPle ArE gAy, sO tHeRe nOt bEinG aNy mAkES sEnSe."

That said, there could be an interesting system in dealing with that as an explicit part of the setting - for example, if S-supports began in the school phase, having all same-sex students initially appear as options for an S-support, but having 90% of them end with the non-Byleth character reacting with disgust, fear or anger. After the failed support, Byleth's support with the character would be completely reversed, giving them stat penalties if they're placed together.

Byleth would also then be called in and reprimanded for making an inappropriate advance on a student; from that point, all same-sex S-supports would be locked out, including with characters which would have reciprocated.

It'd go against the wish fulfillment fantasy of the avatar, but it'd make finding the handful of characters that would be accepting of it much more significant.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Is it confirmed that the playable characters can support with one another and not just with the MC? Sorry, I know that's how it worked in previous Fire Emblems but I just want to make sure.

Also yeah, they should at least balance the option for M/M and F/F.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Just want to say I think Leon is really well written and shouldn't be dismissed as "queer baiting"
His supports are way more than that. And kamui and valbar are likely straight

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
That said, there could be an interesting system in dealing with that as an explicit part of the setting - for example, if S-supports began in the school phase, having all same-sex students initially appear as options for an S-support, but having 90% of them end with the non-Byleth character reacting with disgust, fear or anger. After the failed support, Byleth's support with the character would be completely reversed, giving them stat penalties if they're placed together.

Byleth would also then be called in and reprimanded for making an inappropriate advance on a student; from that point, all same-sex S-supports would be locked out, including with characters which would have reciprocated.

It'd go against the wish fulfillment fantasy of the avatar, but it'd make finding the handful of characters that would be accepting of it much more significant.

We don't need to inject needless and tactless homophobia into fantasy settings.

Player avatars such as Byleth are just as you say — wish fulfillment. But gay people aren't allowed to have wishes, let alone have them be fulfilled.

OP
OP
Hours Left

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say I think Leon is really well written and shouldn't be dismissed as "queer baiting"
His supports are way more than that
I didn't say Leon was queerbaiting. Other characters, yes.

Leon is instead the "lonely gay man" trope. With a nebulous reassurance that he might eventually find someone else, but of course no confirmation of that. We can do better.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Why doesn't he have a romantic option? The even tease it with Kamui, but nothing ever happens. The lonely gay man stuff is lame.

Leon is definitely the best of the confirmed gay characters, but it still leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
I get you. I just imagined that in his ending after the injury he would eventually find love, but they definitely should have outright stated something like this. There was no reason not to because he is characterised as a person that easily falls in love. But I really believe they made an effort to portray him well. IS might crush my trust in them though if Linnie really is the only option. I also got my hopes up when the person playing 3H during the Treehouse Live Event said she wanted to romance Dimitri (she was playing male Byleth).