• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
#任天堂の日 is currently trending on Twitter in Japan; but you may be wondering "what exactly makes November 21st such a special day for Nintendo?" The answer is simple: November 21st is the launch date for a ton of well-known and iconic Nintendo software and hardware, especially in Japan:
  • Mach Rider (1985)
  • Punch-Out!! (1987)
  • Super Famicom (1990)
  • Super Mario World (1990)
  • F-Zero (1990)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
  • Yoshi's Cookie (1992)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (1997)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Pokémon Gold and Silver (1999)
  • Sin & Punishment (2000)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)
  • Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (2002)
  • Pokémon Coliseum (2003)
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)
  • Nintendo DS (2004; NA)
  • Nintendo DSi LL (2009)
  • Super Mario 3D World (2013)
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (2014)
  • Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival (2015)
  • Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (2017)
Looking at the rest of the world you've got other big anniversaries like Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010) and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014) too. So let us celebrate these Nintendo classics (and amiibo Festival) today; share your favourites from this list, and any fond memories you may have with them!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gee, it's like 1 week before Black Friday Weekend is like a high priority date or something. Like there's some mass buying event coming up that you want to have software coming out around for.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Gee, it's like 1 week before Black Friday Weekend is like a high priority date or something. Like there's some mass buying event coming up that you want to have software coming out around for.
Those are mostly Japanese release dates, remember; and for most of that time worldwide release dates were very segmented and months apart. I don't think Black Friday has much relevance.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Those are mostly Japanese release dates, remember; and for most of that time worldwide release dates were very segmented and months apart. I don't think Black Friday has much relevance.

They still want to ship games internationally before Christmas (see something like Melee, which came out in the US a few weeks later before Christmas). Also, people still like....celebrate holidays in Japan.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can pick any day from October to December and chances are Nintendo released a classic that day.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also, people still like....celebrate holidays in Japan.
Wow, thanks, I had no idea! /s

Black Friday sales are only run by very select stores in Japan, mostly local branches of international stores like Amazon; it isn't all that massive there now and it certainly wasn't in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s when most of the titles on that list launched.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Wow, thanks, I had no idea! /s

Black Friday sales are only run by very select stores in Japan, mostly local branches of international stores like Amazon; it isn't all that massive there now and it certainly wasn't in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s when most of the titles on that list launched.

It's not massive but like, it's still a season when people buy games as gifts iirc, especially now. Like the "holiday game season" is just a general thing and always has been. It's like when Hollywood blockbusters always come out during the Summer.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's not massive but like, it's still a season when people buy games as gifts iirc, especially now. Like the "holiday game season" is just a general thing and always has been. It's like when Hollywood blockbusters always come out during the Summer.
I never said otherwise! Naturally the holiday season is a huge time for game launches, and November is still the month Nintendo target for some of their biggest releases in a given year, even if they don't fall on the 21st as often anymore with their current aim for worldwide Friday launches.

Just a little peeved by how US-centric this forum can be sometimes is all. I didn't reply to the poster mentioning Thanksgiving because Japan DOES have a Labor Thanksgiving Day; Black Friday just stood out to me as not feeling particularly relevant, so I questioned it.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Sakurai is going to be posting about some of the titles that launched today, one an hour.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
images

One copy of Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (2015) please.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
2013 was insane with the double-whammy of Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds in the same day (in NA, at least.)

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time...but I swear by the GBA version, so I'll throw in my appreciation for 3D World and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
November 21st is when Wes blew up a Team Snagem hideout so I guess it's Nintendo's equivalent of Guy Fawkes Night.

Sep 29, 2019
I see why they see it as Nintendo Day, these are pretty much Nintendo's top heavy titles. Then there's Animal Crossing amiibo Festival...

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It'll be fun to make a collage of all his images when he's done posting them.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Like I said i'd do; a collage of Sakurai's celebration pics from yesterday, with special third-party guest Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

6WyJ97u.jpg

Shame he couldn't get around to everything, but I guess that just goes to show the big a day it was in Nintendo's history. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single other day with this many high-profile releases from a single publisher.