• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
So I recently got a jonesing to make some Mario Maker levels on my WiiU, and discovered to my disappointment that getting your level uploaded and playable online is not really viable due to two factors:

1.) The online community is pretty much dead [which was inevitable I suppose]
2.) Nintendo will just disable your level from being uploadable with no warning or reason

Number 1 I could deal with, I'm not expecting anything I upload now to become a smash hit because there's only a handful of people still playing Mario Maker actively, but I still would like to be able to share the level with folks online.

But number 2 is what makes this a real mess. I uploaded a level called "Cave Explorer" a few weeks back which was passable, not amazing, but I was proud of it. It wasn't broken, and it did a few interesting things. But nobody played it, because there is no discover-ability in SMM, and there are so few people playing 100 Mario Challenge it never appeared randomly for anyone.

Still, no harm done, I can share the level code with friends and people online and they can have a look at it if they like. Except it's now been deleted by Nintendo and I'm banned from re-uploading it. This happens quite frequently with levels that have been played little to no times, but no specific reasoning is provided by Nintendo. So now this level I worked on is stuck in limbo indefinitely.

Nintendo seriously need to sort this sort of thing out for Mario Maker Switch.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Asking nintendo to get with the times when it comes to anything online is like asking the Falcons not to choke.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I made one incredible level once at the height of the game's popularity. I had made a bunch of shorter levels too but this one took forever to make, wasn't necessarily very hard but was long and, I thought, inventive.

Nintendo deleted it and banned it from re-upload without reason.

I stopped playing.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is still figuring out this whole Online thing

They'll get there any day now, just you wait

seriously though that's ass. A game all about creation and sharing shouldn't do that.

OP
OP
Tregard

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I made one incredible level once. I had made a bunch of shorter levels but this one took forever to make, wasn't necessarily very hard but was long and, I thought, inventive.

Nintendo deleted it and banned it from re-upload without reason.

I stopped playing.

I had this one called "MarioWare, Inc." I was super proud of and they did the same thing ages ago, I just never realised what had happened. I was livid when I realised.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible game and idea made a by a backwards ass company. Mario Maker deserved so much better that launching on a terrible platform (WiiU) and a good platform but shitty port (3Ds)

Its up there with biggest wasted potential as the launch version of Master Chief Collection.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The banning levels with little play thing is super fucking dumb. Otherwise though. WiiU is a dead platform that was barely alive to begin with. Dead platforms have dead online, cant really be mad at that.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Clown Attics will be forever remembered.

As for getting people to play your level, maybe you can try the mario maker subreddit. Haven't been there in a while. Also try the bookmark site (this happens to be mine):

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Thuddert?type=posted

It alone won't help you get more visibility for those that are still playing. However you can easily link it to people you know still play amd it's a better way of finding somewhat decent levels.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many of my stages are still up and running.
I had a whole slew of New Super Mario Bros stages, the name starting with 1-1, 1-2 and such. Wanted to get to 8-4, but I didn't get beyond a world 6. If half these stages were deleted without me even knownig that'd be pretty lame, but with the community being reduced at it is I figure no one would take the trouble to play through them all anymore anyway.

But hey, atleast you still can upload stages.
I booted Smash Bros for WiiU and wanted to check out the most recent stage uploads for the hell of it (there was usually one or two crazy good looking ones coming from Japan or the US). It's completely empty now, because the stage upload was done partly through Miiverse and with Miiverse shutting down the whole process is now impossible. Sucks.
Mii Fighters can still be shared and downloaded, but fighting on other people's stages was way more fun.

Nov 18, 2017
Letting the community curate the levels is a terrible idea which didn't account for toxic choices.

Spam and auto-run levels dominated the charts.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I had this one called "MarioWare, Inc." I was super proud of and they did the same thing ages ago, I just never realised what had happened. I was livid when I realised.
Yeah, I really don't have the kind of time to waste spending hours creating something so Nintendo can throw it in the trash for nobody to ever see. It's incredibly bizarre. And that's not even getting into how the visibility system of your created levels worked. Sheesh.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm only level 4 rank and my levels don't get that much play time, but none of the levels have been deleted so far. I've been happy with the game's online, especially Mario Maker bookmark page where you can quickly find nice levels and creators.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many of my stages are still up and running.
I had a whole slew of New Super Mario Bros stages, the name starting with 1-1, 1-2 and such. Wanted to get to 8-4, but I didn't get beyond a world 6. If half these stages were deleted without me even knownig that'd be pretty lame, but with the community being reduced at it is I figure no one would take the trouble to play through them all anymore anyway.

But hey, atleast you still can upload stages.
I booted Smash Bros for WiiU and wanted to check out the most recent stage uploads for the hell of it (there was usually one or two crazy good looking ones coming from Japan or the US). It's completely empty now, because the stage upload was done partly through Miiverse and with Miiverse shutting down the whole process is now impossible. Sucks.
Mii Fighters can still be shared and downloaded, but fighting on other people's stages was way more fun.

If your levels got a decent amount of plays they wont be deleted. I have a lot of mine still up from way back when the game first came out.

To opening, utilize Mario Maker Reddit. It pretty much eliminates the levels being deleted thing. I also was on Twitch not long ago watching it streamed. Drop a level in there. Ita cool watching streamers play your stuff

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait they delete and ban levels outright just because not enough people played it? That's freaking ridiculous. Shit I have LBP levels I made in 2008 barely anyone played and they are still available now almost a decade later.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I need to grab this game now them, before its too late.

There is a limit for how many levels i can download? And if Nintendo deletes It, can i still have it on my hard drive, even if its not my level?

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Nintendo were always a bit too trigger happy. Especially, not allowing you to edit and re-up the banned levels. There's a way around the ban though. Save a copy of the level before you first upload... That way, when one is banned, you still have another copy to upload and edit...

I tested this by uploading a deliberately terrilbe level and seeing if i could re-upload after removal.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Nintendo's massive financial resources, they should at least preserve what their small community and fanbase create. This is absolutely pathetic and shameful.

Vote with your wallet if you want things to change. They made it pretty clear that they don't care about their customers.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Did not know #2 was such a persistent problem with Mario Maker because it's so backwards to what should be common sense with this type of game. Most likely because of the platform Nintendo avoided getting the backlash they deserved for this but hopefully will face it and change their policy with the inevitable Switch version.

Last edited:

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I remember an article about a really difficult level someone spent hours on to use in a gaming tournament only for it to be deleted before the event.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I really wanted to get this game recently, since I don't own a Switch and have been looking for cheap Wii U pickups. Shame the community died such a death. It seemed like such a cool concept

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am irrationally excited for the inevitable Switch version of this game, but they really need to get this stuff sorted out by the time that comes out.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Most of my levels are still up, last I checked. I'm in the process of making a new 4-piece world, so hopefully that goes well.

Star Fox Guard literally has a time limit on its uploads. Uploading things is fine, but good luck playing anything.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is the kind of stuff that prevented me from every buying Mario Maker. I probably won't be any other Nintendo 'Maker' games either because of this stuff.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Disappointing to hear they treat the player base like this

I didn't buy a Wii U ... well because it was the Wii U, but Mario Maker is one of the handful of games I would love to play. Wish they would hurry up and put it on Switch

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game when it came out. Such fun watching people try your stuff, reading the comments, tweaking etc

With some small improvements (slopes, world map editor, extra collectibles etc) and the much bigger active audience of the Switch, it would be even better. Yet there is no news :(

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's still baffling to me that they have ported this or put a sequel on Switch.

I guess it's something they want to wait until their paid online service is out as it's defintely a gamer (along with Smash and Pokemon) that would help drive people to pay up for the online features.

But still, it would have been great this first half of 2018 when there's literally nothing coming out on Switch I care about.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does MM have any way to share levels without using Nintendo's services? Because the next one should absolutely have the ability to do so and back up levels offline if not.

We all know it won't.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wait they delete and ban levels outright just because not enough people played it? That's freaking ridiculous. Shit I have LBP levels I made in 2008 barely anyone played and they are still available now almost a decade later.

I fear the day we lose the LBP servers. So much I still want to enjoy.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give it a bit more time than a little over a year.

I mean I'm not upset buy it. It just seems it would have been an easy port and there's a pretty decent drought on exclusives this first half of 2018 as Kirby, Yoshi and Wii U ports like Hyrule Warriors aren't exactly A-tier, system seller type games.

But like I said, they probably want to hold it back to be one of their online games used to push subscriptions to their paid online when it goes live.

In any case, I'm used to my Nintendo systems gathering lots of dust post N64 as they rarely have more than 2-3 games a year I care about, so par for the course.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We could make a level sharing thread where we would post levels and have at least something like 3 people dedicated to trying the levels so that they're not deleted and lost forever for some goddamn reason.
I lost a level I poured a lot of time into because of that and anyone taking the time to post levels in that thread should never have to feel like their spent their time in vain.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
170608121252-paul-ryan-presser-trump-new-at-this-full-169.jpg

"Nintendo is just new to this"

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
I run a Mario Maker level contest over on another forum and we're currently in the middle-to-late stages of the current one. So my main worry when they announced that Miiverse was closing was that it would break level uploads and the Mario Maker Bookmark site (Which makes creating a playlist of levels much easier). Luckily that's not been the case, but levels being deleted is concerning. I guess that as part of the contest the levels are being played by at least 7-8 people each week, which perhaps stops them being deleted. From what I've read this isn't a new issue (They issued statements on this back in early 2016), but it's certainly annoying that a level not getting much exposure early on can result in it being wiped.

Mario Maker was easily one of the biggest successes Nintendo had with the Wii U so I'm definitely expecting a Switch version sooner, rather than later. There's plenty of things that can be added and apart from reworking the stylus input for level creation, there's not much preventing them releasing it fairly quickly. I'm hoping for something at E3.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Incredible game and idea made a by a backwards ass company. Mario Maker deserved so much better that launching on a terrible platform (WiiU) and a good platform but shitty port (3Ds)

Its up there with biggest wasted potential as the launch version of Master Chief Collection.
They will make a greatly enhanced sequel for Switch. Many things were missing from the Wii U game (like slopes), so I really can't wait for the sequel. Super Mario Maker was my favorite Wii U games, I made levels that got over 300 stars, which is a very nice feeling. :)

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Killing Miiverse was such a terrible idea, I still can't believe Nintendo thought that was a good idea. Way too much is/was dependent on it for many various features.