• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Now that E3 is seemingly over, we can talk about the stuff that was announced. Since I don't own a console I didn't watch many trailers so I'll need you guys to fill me in - how did E3 do on LGBT+ representation both at the event and in the announcements, especially since it's Pride Month?

Edit to new responders: wouldn't it have been cool if there were trailers that tied into or were themed around Pride Month at E3?

Last edited:

Neva

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling Over Multiple Posts in a Sensitive Thread; Account in Junior Phase
this is unbelievable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Banjo and Kazooie got into Smash with pro-trans rights Grant Kirkhope composing a new remix for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there was a gay character shown once but you wouldn't know it unless you played the game.
So it did amazingly well compared to the last years.
Which is sad

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting too many titles to hold up in this regard on closer inspection, but to be honest, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to try to gauge the sexual orientation or gender identity of characters based on trailers alone, without actually knowing anything else about the characters or the plot of the game.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
As part of the LGBT community, I don't feel it is necessary to ask why "X event happened in Pride month, how well did it represent LGBT+". I feel the other general thread we had not too long ago about LGBT representation in gaming in general is a better place to discuss LGBT representation in gaming as a whole.

Neva

Oct 25, 2017
As part of the LGBT community, I don't feel it is necessary to ask why "X event happened in Pride month, how well did it represent LGBT+". I feel the other general thread we had not too long ago about LGBT representation in gaming in general is a better place to discuss LGBT representation in gaming as a whole.
Thank you. someone who thinks normally.

unbelievable.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
E3 is where a lot of new games are announced. I don't think it's ridiculous to ask about it.

OP
OP
P-Tux7

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
The reason I brought up Pride Month is not only because it's the one month you'd expect game companies to focus on LGBT the most, but also because this is the perfect time to think about this type of topic. E3 is when publishers try to put their best foot forward so it's definitely relevant to talk about how things are going on the representation front.

Also, "why are you trying to shove your wants into E3"? This is something that absolutely no one would say about violence or blame them for wanting that in games. It makes people happy to attack enemies or other players, and I'm speaking from the exact same place about what I want to see in games.
You also see a divide with cartoony (BOTW, DQ Builders 2, Gods and Monsters) and realistic art styles (FFVII Remake, Star Wars: Jedi, etc.). Nobody would say "why do weebs have to shove bright colors and anime designs into perfectly fun games like BOTW?" If anime art styles can go into Zelda then I'm sure gay relationships can go into it or games like it as well.

I doubt the game companies planned there games or reveals around pride month.
Like I said, this is the absolute best month to do things like that. What a great tie in and landmark event it would be if an E3 trailer focused on things like that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I took the title to mean "It's Pride Month, so let's discuss how will E3 did with LGBTQ+ representation".

Like you know, new games are being revealed so let's see if there's any new examples of good representation.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
this is unbelievable.

Do you know what forum you are on?
Do you equally moan about waifu focussed threads which are heterosexual in nature or did you just come here to say "wahh representation doesn't matter to me."

Sadly it's looking dire OP but the response to this thread has already been incredibly disappointing. Can't even get bread scraps and people moan about others asking about it. 🙄

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary and Hostility; Account in Junior Phase
You're being embarassing. Its such a simple topic and you chose to being whiny. Pathetic.

As for the thread.. yeah I see nothing. And thats bad.
What's more embarrassing is that the person doesn't even own a console and couldn't even be bothered checking out any of these basic "facts" by going to Youtube.

Are they even a "gamer"? Maybe take care of the basics first, no?

There's a thread where the journalist asks the panel on a character's sexual orientation of a game and gets justifiably smacked down (https://www.resetera.com/threads/jo...ks-what-kait-her-sexual-preference-is.122569/).

I would say that the OP is more of an embarrassment!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What's more embarrassing is that the person doesn't even own a console and couldn't even be bothered checking out any of these basic "facts" by going to Youtube.

There's a thread where the journalist asks the panel on a character's sexual orientation of a game and gets justifiably smacked down (https://www.resetera.com/threads/jo...ks-what-kait-her-sexual-preference-is.122569/).

Like, who even gives a shit.
Joined November 2017. 13 posts.
Are you even a gamer?

giphy.gif

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
E3 is where a lot of new games are announced. I don't think it's ridiculous to ask about it.

How are we gonna know if any of the characters in these just announced games are queer? We know almost nothing about the new characters in these new games.

Also, to answer the OP, Hammerlock was in the new Borderlands 3 trailer.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost impossible to say because in the majority of the new games announced we know nothing of the characters or even the basic story sometimes.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, from what I've seen, there wasn't anything on the level of TLOU Part 2 opening with two women kissing last year.

But then again, games don't need to put it front and center like that to have good representation anyways, so...

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In fact the only LGBT rep I can think of that was clear was EA doing a Pride pack for Sims 4.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
You know, before the news of cyberpunk and its latest controversy, I'd have said "About what I expected, basically non existent"

and now its gone to Y I K E S

OP
OP
P-Tux7

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
How are we gonna know if any of the characters in these just announced games are queer? We know almost nothing about the new characters in these new games.
It's almost impossible to say because in the majority of the new games announced we know nothing of the characters or even the basic story sometimes.
My idea was that they could do trailers that tie into Pride Month or theme them around it.
In fact the only LGBT rep I can think of that was clear was EA doing a Pride pack for Sims 4.
See this is what I like.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The only embarrassing thing here is your gate keeping bullshit of a post.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Outside of EA trying to get on our good side with their new Sims expansion pack / clothing line OP , and Life is Strange 2 being shown during SquareEnix conference nothing of note at all ...

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand

As a lesbian woman, I do? It's obvious the guy was asking for the wrong reasons, not because representation has no place in games. Who has time to watch everything that came out of E3 in search of LGBT representation? I watched what interested me and if there's a positive representation somewhere I don't know about, I welcome it.

Also, to answer the OP, Hammerlock was in the new Borderlands 3 trailer.
There was TLoU2 last year. I didn't mean absolutely new games but even then, why the hell not? I can't exactly point to some examples of how this can be done when there's none to be had. Which is the problem isn't it?

Ps. Why is it so hard to write a post on mobile? It keeps jumping up.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

This post is an embarrassment

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't thought of it. There's no representation whatsoever that I can think of. Also deep RPGs are rarer these days, so you can't even create lgbt characters. Let's see if Outer Worlds has any romance options, or Baldur's Gate 3, otherwise I can't think of any game that even attempts at representation. Maybe Watch Dogs Legion will go there since it let's you play pretty much anyone.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Cyberpunk 2077 had a transphobic in-game ad, but that was revealed via Nvidia during E3, not at the Microsoft press conference itself.

Considering there's not much else besides The Sims, I'd say that's a 0-for-1 so far. Not great.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Well, from what I've seen, there wasn't anything on the level of TLOU Part 2 opening with two women kissing last year.

But then again, games don't need to put it front and center like that to have good representation anyways, so...

I think the intent of this thread isn't to discuss how many depictions of LGBT+ characters there were, but rather how the game industry seems to be handling the issues. Cases like CDPR making what seems at best a tasteless fictional ad in their own game is the kind of thing that might reflect the game industry's ignorance about LGBT+ issues, or even argued transphobia. So it's not just about what characters are gay or trans, but how the game industry as a whole relates to LGBT+.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, CDPR and did a... a thing, courtesy of Nvidia.

Dunno if this one is going to blow up in their faces, but some people definitely don't seem happy.

There are so many angles here, I cannot even describe how offensive and possibly progressive this is. Like, on one hand, in cyberpunk, the concept of free exploration of gender is common and seen as a normal thing to the point that marketing advertises on it. On the other hand... linking gender to sex chromosomes, advertising products with mixing and matching them, and having a feminine presenting person with an erect penis underneath their outfit in the ad is just... no. Just no.