• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genesis or Mega Drive

• Genesis is the only correct answer

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • GENESIS. USA! THIS IS AMERICA

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • Genesis sounds much cooler.

Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, trifecta of perfect names

Votes: 56 13.0%
  • Mega Drive I guess

Votes: 269 62.6%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Mega Drive. What is this

WHAT

Is that

It's Genesis. The beginning. The origin.

SEGA is the best at naming conventions. Master System, Mega Drive, those sound cool too... but WHAT ARE THEY?? All I know is Genesis and above.

BTW, Dreamcast is the coolest name ever. SEGA was so much better at naming their hardware than boring-ass Sony, Nintendo, and MS.

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. You're wrong. 2 regions out of 3 say you're wrong too.

Oh, and by the way, it's "SNEZ"; I dunno what the hell a "SNESS" or a "S.N.E.S" is!

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
They are so good they named their second console Genesis and got to retire early.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I say Mega Drive on the internet because it is the most internationally friendly name.

I say Genesis when talking to my weirdo family and friends who wouldn't know what the hell I am talking about otherwise.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
0fc.gif

Growing up in the UK I'm obviously more partial to the name Mega Drive but they're both such cool names, so evocative and oddly powerful.

Though that said, while both logos are probably a bit gaudy and dated the MD one is far, far better. The font on the Genesis one is hideous D:

Megadrive_logo.svg.png

586bc8b5c1a23_SegaGenesis1.png.120d18fa7ccccc2ada1db8f366379913.png

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Mega Drive. Genesis is just wack.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's Mega Drive. Genesis is such a boring name.

It's also Colour not Color.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you, even considering that it's not their first console Genesis is a MUCH better name.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mega Drive and Genesis are equally cool names to me.

It's both. Just accept it.

I don't understand why anyone ever argues this. We all know what the other means when we see it, just call it what it is in your region, let others do the same and move on.

Can't you see? All this Sega infighting means the Nintendo bros have an advantage facing a splintered base in the REAL console war. Unite!

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah but Europe also got the SEQUEL to the best naming console of all time... The Mega Drive 2! Can't beat that!

SegaMegadrive2_grande.jpg

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive is the original name it launched with in Japan. The only argument for Genesis is "I'M AMERICAN".

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
They are so good they named their second console Genesis and got to retire early.
The Mega Drive was actually Sega's third console. Their first console, the SG-1000, launched the same month as the Famicom and flopped so hard they had to engineer the Mark III (Master System) as a direct counter to Nintendo (which also flopped, though not as hard).

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this whole Genesis/Mega drive situation is that the arguments would be just as persistent if the names were reversed. You'd have Europeans arguing that "Genesis" is a more original, interesting name and that "Mega Drive" is silly and simplistic to appeal to American audiences, while Americans would insist that Mega Drive is clearly the superior name.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u4.jpg

no.

I accidentally said Sega Genesis to my friend the other day and felt dirty.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The best part of this whole Genesis/Mega drive situation is that the arguments would be just as persistent if the names were reversed. You'd have Europeans arguing that "Genesis" is a more original, interesting name and that "Mega Drive" is silly and simplistic to appeal to American audiences, while Americans would insist that Mega Drive is clearly the superior name.

This post didn't age well, lulz.

Mega Drive is the better name, and I say that from a North American perspective.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
"Super Ness" is the only acceptable answer.
I've literally never heard anyone say anything remotely close to that in real life

I never heard anyone say 'Snes' or 'Snez' in real life, either. Just wasn't a thing where I was from in the US. It was either 'Super Nintendo' or just 'Nintendo'

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Genesis by far, it matches all their future console names as well. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast; all one word entries. Mega Drive sounds like a generic console name, Genesis is interesting.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot these were the same thing lol

Genesis is far far better, it's right up with Saturn in best console names