• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Should I play MGS4 and if I do should I watch the cutscenes or nah

I'm pretty sure I know the story as is and it looks mad boring most of the time

My other option is continue Game of Thrones lol I'm on season 3

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Hell yes~ I'd only played 1, 2, and 3, and then 4 about eight years after release. The game wasn't awesome but there was some very cool fan service and throwbacks. It was a nice conclusion.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Shit no. Awful game. I bought the PS3 for it, barely touched it, shelved it for months, only to finally resume and finish it almost a year later, and I regret the time wasted.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
continue game of thrones, I'd say. S3/S4 is amazing.
I love story driven games but MGS4 is just too much. And the story itself is kind of... jesus christ, what the fuck was Kojima thinking? So much pointless exposition, retcon, fan service... it's just a mess of a game.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
One of if not the best game of last gen.

What a thrill, do it OP. Some epic moments await, its what MGSV was missing.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay wise, it's very hard to go back to the other games after V. Never cared for 4 myself, it felt so boxed in.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's a terrible 3 hour movie with a 35 minute game demo attached to it. I wish I could erase it from my memory.

OP
OP

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
it's a hell of a ride i'd definitely recommend playing it because it has great gameplay and cool moments
if that's your response best to just skip it entirely and not even watch them
Cool cool I just want the gameplay but I'll watch slavishly long cutscenes if they entertain me I'm watching GoT rn after all

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Only if you blow through it in like 2-3 days, that games performance is dreadful, but if that doesnt bother you enjoy!

Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 is an amazing game especially for those who played every MGS at the time of release.

Nowadays ? I'm not so sure anymore.

I mean I don't think the game aged that well mechanically speaking, especially with far superior MGS game released after.

I'd say play it with hold expectations.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah you should play it.
I have this weird relationship with MGS 1 through 4 in that I hated the act of actually playing them but I'm still super glad that I did and had that experience*. Simply watching the cutscenes cannot replicate that.

*5 was the reverse. Immaculate gameplay, felt completely empty once I beat it.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
OP.
Imagine your favorite piece of fiction. Lets say it is the original Star Wars trilogy.

Imagine George Lucas marrying of princess Leia to a Ewok, while Han Solo dies of cancer on the toilet because he hates Star Wars, and somehow holds you guilty for "forcing him to finish it".

That is MGS4.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If you have to ask whether you should be watching the cutscenes, you shouldn't even be considered playing the game at all. Or any story based game for that matter.

OP
OP

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
OP.
Imagine your favorite piece of fiction. Lets say it is the original Star Wars trilogy.

Imagine George Lucas marrying of princess Leia to a Ewok, while Han Solo dies of cancer on the toilet because he hates Star Wars, and somehow holds you guilty for "forcing him to finish it".

That is MGS4.
Well it's a good thing I don't give a fuuuuck about MGS' overarching story. I still understand why it disappointed so many with that story. You ever seen Super Bunnyhop or Matthewmatosis' video on it?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
You must PLAY MGS4. You have to. It has some of the best nostalgic moments.

OP
OP

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
MGS4 is an amazing game especially for those who played every MGS at the time of release.

Nowadays ? I'm not so sure anymore.

I mean I don't think the game aged that well mechanically speaking, especially with far superior MGS game released after.

I'd say play it with hold expectations.
I will definitely hold expectations, I'm not expecting anything near MGSV let alone a game from 08.
If you have to ask whether you should be watching the cutscenes, you shouldn't even be considered playing the game at all. Or any story based game for that matter.
but what about

Ya know

The game's

gameplay

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I love MGS4, but it feels like an interactive movie at times. I wouldn't bother unless you want to watch the cutscenes. The game's story is fucking goofy as hell though, and you'll either love it or hate it!

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing MGS4 cuscenes are not, is boring. There is some wild shit in those cutscenes. The lunacy on display in MGS4 is off the charts. Sure the story goes south halfway through and turns into bad fan-fiction garbage, but it's the type of fan-fiction garbage that you will never forget. You will simaltaneously be entertained and disappointed.

The gameplay itself is pretty good, what little of it there is. Worth playing through for sure. Good boss battles too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 is the game that I started with. It was great at the time. I'm sure it still is. Do et !

I have since played Metal Gear Solid 1,2 and Metal Gear 1,2. Still missing Metal Gear Solid 3 and 5.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
If you played 1,2,3 and didn't feel the urge to play 4 until just now, I'm going to assume you won't like it. If you LOVED those games and the story and want to see the conclusion (sort-of)...then play it. It's very story focused.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the complete opposite of MGSV. It focuses way too much on story and not enough on gameplay.

It's dated and looks poor now, the controls are clunky, the environments are tiny and limited. It has lots of cool little tricks to figure out though like playing dead next to dead bodies and knocking people out with crotch grabs but yeah...anyway I would still play it just for the conclusion to this saga. While you could just YouTube it all, some scenes would lose their impact because Kojima is known for breaking the fourth wall and stuff such as...

That microwave corridor

Think back to the Psycho Mantis fight in MGS1, having to fiddle with controller ports was such a cool gimmick, and having your gameplay stats read was pretty cool also. Those that simply watch stuff like that on YouTube wouldn't get the same experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I will definitely hold expectations, I'm not expecting anything near MGSV let alone a game from 08.
There are some pretty neat ideas though, some gadgets are cool, I like the idea of the Threat Ring to replace the Soliton Radar that has plagued the series. The weapon salvaging was clever (weapon are ID-registered so you could take them but not use them immediately, you had to hack them inbetween missions to use them).
Act IV is brilliant.

For all the shit we put Kojima through for his scenario shenanigans or his questionnable choices (*ahem* Quiet *ahem*) I think he's a brilliant game designer.
As a writer if he's left alone, well, we have a saying in French which is "ĂŞtre en roue libre".
The man needs an editor able to channel him

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Well it's a good thing I don't give a fuuuuck about MGS' overarching story. I still understand why it disappointed so many with that story. You ever seen Super Bunnyhop or Matthewmatosis' video on it?

I went into this thread expecting to say "If you liked MGS1-3 enough to beat them obviously you should play 4", but hearing you don't really care about the story at all - MGS 4 is a waste of your time. The gameplay is good enough but if you're not interested in seeing the end of the saga don't bother.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
but what about

Ya know

The game's

gameplay

A game is compromised of everything, not just the gameplay.

And if you are playing a STORY based game, then the story is the most important part. It's literally to move from one chapter to the next. To learn more about the story.

If you just want good gameplay then play something that is entirely about that.

Mar 29, 2018
The gameplay is incredible - arguably better than MGSV's in many ways.

But there's barely any of it. Or at least, barely any good stuff. Most of it is weird contrived scenarios or shoebox encounters. Act 1 and Act 2 are two of the greatest game segments I've ever played... then it collapses.

And the story is pretty painful on the whole. The cutscenes aren't boring, they're just poorly paced and often poorly written.

but what about

Ya know

The game's

gameplay
Ah you asked specifically about it... but not in the OP

The gameplay is incredible. It's insanely tight. Like the most crisp movement ever. Some of the deepest mechanics ever - holding guards up, frisking them, interrogating them; tons of physical moves, shit like lie on your back and throw grenades backwards over your head for a different arc; octo-camo is cool but you can also do it without; disguises; fucking with guards via the SOP system... The shooting is pretty tight. There are tons of tools and weapons (there are far too many guns, it's like completely redundant how many there are) with some really cool depth in the bosses (albeit not to the level of MGS3).