• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/roland-emmerich-marvel-star-wars-ruining-our-industry/
Roland-Emmerich-at-Moonfall-premiere.jpg

"Oh yes," Emmerich tells Den of Geek when asked if the disaster genre has changed in recent years. "Because naturally Marvel and DC Comics, and Star Wars, have pretty much taken over. It's ruining our industry a little bit, because nobody does anything original anymore."

The comment is not necessarily surprising for Emmerich, who's spoken in the past about his ambivalence toward superhero movies, particularly Marvel ones which he once said he likes to watch on planes in order to fall asleep. When we talk to him in 2022, he admits that part of that skepticism for the genre stems from the fact that he grew up in Germany many years before the concept of superheroes were successfully transplanted to that market—mostly by Marvel movies.

"You should make bold new movies, you know?" Emmerich tells us. "And I think, actually, Christopher Nolan is the master of that. He is someone who can make movies about whatever he wants. I have it a little bit harder, but I still have a big enough name—especially when it's a disaster [movie] or has some sort of disaster theme."

It's how Emmerich got the funding for an original idea he had for Moonfall: What if the moon was not a natural object but a "megastructure," as some conspiracy theorists happily suggest? And what if that megastructure actually started to fall to the Earth? It's a concept Emmerich's been trying to get off the ground for years, and it finally arrives in theaters later this week.

At least Scorsese and Nolan have merit, dude, you just made the same movie 4 times.

Destroy the world if old.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, him of all people have business talking about modern blockbusters, even if I liked some of his films.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Roland, buddy. I love your movies, I'm excited to see Moonfall Friday.

Don't be that guy.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to not be into them! But for THIS dude's primary complaint to be originality? It's wild.

Dec 30, 2020
It's fine to not be into them! But for THIS dude's primary complaint to be originality? It's wild.
Although I am looking forward to his new movie in which a massive event destroys a large portion of the planet and the unconventional everyman protagonist has to jump a vehicle through a dangerous set piece and everything is just sort of fine by the end.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering how much of Emmerich's Godzilla is literally just him recreating iconic shots from different movies - it's very funny to hear him complain about a lack of originality.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Says man who has made the same film roughly six times in his career.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pot dissing the Kettle in real time. I may disagree with Scorsese and Nolan but at least they make films, not products as mass marketed as marvel films to begin with.

Enoughs enough with the Hollywood clickbait reporting already.

what's next, Pauly Shores opinion on Peacemaker?

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Pot dissing the Kettle in real time. I may disagree with Scorsese and Nolan but at least they make films, not products as mass marketed as marvel films to begin with.

Enoughs enough with the Hollywood clickbait reporting already.

what's next, Pquley Shores opinion on Peacemake?
It's the new hotness.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of anyone less qualified to make this complaint. The man literally created the modern Idiot Blockbuster with ID4. ID4 is the moment studios realized they don't even have to try to make anything make sense. It was the landmark moment when tentpole films would have to struggle to be even mildly competent at storytelling for almost 15 years.

And I like ID4.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
As per usual, can't get people to watch your movie in the theaters? Shame them and the movies they like.

Like clockwork every time. Marvel and Star Wars going away isn't going to magically have that audience go to every original IP.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title made me think Resurgence was already 10 years old for a moment and I almost kicked off.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched that Moonfall trailer and... yeah.

I think Thor The Dark World is far better.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Your average Marvel movie has a lot more to say than 2012 and White House Down.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Weird thread and bad title. He's not bashing them for being shit blockbusters. He's saying it's more difficult to get something off that ground that doesn't have Star Wars or a superhero on the package.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
"because nobody does anything original anymore."

Well, he certainly is an authority when it comes to this.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Independence Day is actually quite well written and one of the better 90s blockbusters. It's not Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park tier, but it's not that far off either.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It is a slow transition, but I would assume most indiusty people like directors and writers see it more than us. We can already see where blockbusters are headed to where they need to make a lot of money. Off the top of my head long ago I could think of big films coming out, but it is undeniable that super hero films have changed the industry.

I just googled 2022 blockbusters and I got batman, Thor, black panther, Aquaman, Avatar 2, the flash, Jurassic park, mission impossible, etc. Like, it is hard to say big films are varied anymore. Oh and Harry Potter.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The first Independence Day is actually quite well written and one of the better 90s blockbusters. It's not Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park tier, but it's not that far off either.

seriously.

where is this narrative that ID4 is dumb or bad coming from?
Its literally a Sci Fi classic.

I feel like as time passes on and the internet continues on, people develop a perception of something as represented by memes of things long since gone and not the actual thing itself.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
seriously.

where is this narrative that ID4 is dumb or bad coming from?
Its literally a Sci Fi classic.

I feel like as time passes on and the internet continues on, people develop a perception of something as represented by memes of things long since gone and not the actual thing itself.
Independence Day is one of those films where you put it on and even though it isn't peak blockbuster you enjoy yourself and it is fun. It feels original as well.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Independence Day is one of those films where you put it on and even though it isn't peak blockbuster you enjoy yourself and it is fun. It feels original as well.

I'm gonna say it ... it's better than any Star Wars film post OT. Way better than the Abrams Star Trek. Better than most if not all MCU. I would put it above Avatar.

ID4 is a really, really good popcorn blockbuster. Epic and a lot of fun. Very well paced and structured (not too fast in the beginning with a great build up). Not quite Matrix or T2 territory (the peak gold standard) but pretty close to Jurassic Park IMO.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

www.denofgeek.com

Roland Emmerich: Marvel and Star Wars Are ‘Ruining Our Industry’

Exclusive: Roland Emmerich reflects how much harder it is to make an original disaster movie—or anything else—in the age of Marvel, DC, and Star Wars movies.

Since that defining summer movie, Emmerich's seen the genre ebb and flow, soar with humor and, in later years, reach for something a little more somber and sensitive. Yet when we sit down with him to discuss his latest bid in the format—this month's high-concept sci-fi action-adventure, Moonfall—he's reflective on just how hard it is to even make such a crowd-pleasing event that's not based on a comic book in the age of Marvel Studios, DC Entertainment, and Lucasfilm dominating multiplexes during the summer… and all other seasons.

The comment is not necessarily surprising for Emmerich, who's spoken in the past about his ambivalence toward superhero movies, particularly Marvel ones which he once said he likes to watch on planes in order to fall asleep.

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I love ID4, just fantastic build up with a likable cast and it was the ingenuity of the 90s special effects going ham too before mostly CGI. Me haven't seen anything like it on the big screen before, it was insane.

Now Resurgence...boy sometimes I forgot I saw that in theaters, but seeing the first movie onscreen was quite a memorial event.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
"People have a shit ton more options than to watch my people-punching-the-moon movie now, which stinks because taking options away from people has always been the lynchpin of my films' success."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If only Spider-Man didn't exist-then Moonfall would be the highest grossing domestic film of all time!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I hate them but they aren't the cause.
They are the symptom.

(But the statement coming from the director of independence day and Godzilla is rich)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Says the guy who thinks Shakespeare didn't write his own plays because he wasn't an aristocrat.