• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing can do a lot when it comes to sales. FFXV sold a lot but was one of the worst in the series.
to you.

this is exactly what I was talking about.

we often think our opinions are fact. FFXV is flawed as fuck but those who enjoyed it inspite of that weren't some hypontized infants fooled by marketing

Feb 10, 2018
You are on a forum.

Isn't a forum a place to debate and talk about something?

Yes, but some have no diplomacy skills whatsoever and say things which are so unconstructive.
They will say somthing without presenting any reasoning which is so dismissive and disrespectful to the vast amount of work that has gone into a game, what the game has achieved etc

For example some may not like GTA5 but surely they can recognise that it is still the most detailed open world, by videogame standards has one of the better stories, has good mission variety, I mean what other game has you saving your son on your boat that he stole while driving down the freeway or pulling down Somones house because he slept with your wife etc

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
to you.

we often think our opinions are fact. FFXV is flawed as fuck but those who enjoyed it inspite of that weren't some hypontized infants fooled by marketing

Eh, I don't think he was implying that. Marketing definitely helped FFXV sell as well as it did, though. It outperformed a lot of FF games at launch.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Idk if they are seen as the pinnacle of game development... I mean they make fantastic worlds and give tons of options of things to do but I do hear people talk about actual gameplay much

That's because most people look at the whole package rather than dissecting it down so they can nitpick and dismiss the game.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who the f keeps saying it but people saying that sex sells always get on my nerves. They should actually look into that suit because they're wrong. It's not sex that's being sold, the people who sell sex are sex workers. What's being sold is the idea of having a right to the bodies of women or men.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but some have no diplomacy skills whatsoever and say things which are so unconstructive.
They will say somthing without presenting any reasoning which is so dismissive and disrespectful to the vast amount of work that has gone into a game, what the game has achieved etc

For example some may not like GTA5 but surely they can recognise that it is still the most detailed open world, by videogame standards has one of the better stories, has good mission variety, I mean what other game has you saving your son on your boat that he stole while driving down the freeway or pulling down Somones house because he slept with your wife etc

You don't see the irony in saying that some people are unconstructive while shouting about GTA's sales and things you like about the game?

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I think Horizon Zero Dawn sucks. Its is a chore to move around unlike BOTW and Nier Automata; vastly superior games. The combat is also trash; its just another 3rd person shoot. Big whoop.

I didn't enjoy Horizon Zero Dawn that much. Probably because I played BOTW and Nier Automata around the same time. I like movement options in my games and HZD wasn't as fantastical on that front for my liking. I never enoyed 3rd person shooting combat so that didn't help. But to each their own I guess.

Which of those paragraphs is more likely to make someone understand my feelings about Horizon? Both are criticism by definition but unless you are just against anyone not enjoying the game something tells me that the latter gets the point across while the former (exaggerated for effect mind you lol) only would create unneeded conflict after which i'd get called a weeb, fanboy, or something lol.

Its not that you can't not like something and say your piece but there is a way to do so if you truly want "discussion" IMO.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They can recognise that a game had lots of work put into it but that doesn't mean it is free of criticism.

You bring up GTA5 but what you think is good doesn't mean is good for other people. Like the missions you mention are not unique and have been done in GTA before. Sure they have different context but they have been done before in San Andreas for example so I don't see how that means their complaints are unfounded and disrespectful.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think it's nearly as much of a thing as OP is suggesting.

Looking at the GTA thread and it doesn't really seem to be dominant in the discussion at all.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think he was implying that. Marketing definitely helped FFXV sell as well as it did, though. It outperformed a lot of FF games at launch.
FF had been through a real dry period. It was the first on next gen. AND it was the reanimated corpse of Versus a game a lot people wanted forever. Marekting helped for sure but I think it was always set up for success on that front imo.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's because most people look at the whole package rather than dissecting it down so they can nitpick and dismiss the game.
I...I dont think gameplay concerns would be much of a nitpick, like people praise nintendo games all the time for their gameplay and they also have things like great graphics and such

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who the f keeps saying it but people saying that sex sells always get on my nerves. They should actually look into that suit because they're wrong. It's not sex that's being sold, the people who sell sex are sex workers. What's being sold is the idea of having a right to the bodies of women or men.
Thats more so "Attractive Looking Things Sell" more than anything. People are attracted to...uh assets. Some people legit buy things because of character designs for example.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
"but it sells" isn't dismissing criticism; it is stating that a lot of people enjoys the thing for what ever reason and thats enough reason for its existence; flaws and all.

this idea that some opinions matter more than others is what actually dampers discussion. So much criticism starts with "this thing is shit" and thats a good way to stifle any conversation because those who like it take it as you are saying they like shit...and thus the disconnect. And thus "but it sells doe" is floated out there as a comeback.

we all could stand to not take everything so serious but thats life for ya lol.
But that's not what I'm talking about. Repeating the example in the OP, somebody said they didn't consider Rockstar's writing to be good. The response? "Oh, you're wrong their games sell a lot"

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Why does Nintendo get an exception when it's the same deal?
Because "it sells a lot" in that case is explaining why their games don't drop in price, it's literally the reason. "It sells a lot" isn't the reason why people consider Rockstar's writing good.

If you want an example with a Nintendo game, it's like someone saying they didn't like Odyssey's gameplay and then someone coming and saying "nope, you're wrong, it sold a lot" instead of actually trying to argue.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Because "it sells a lot" in that case is explaining why their games don't drop in price, it's literally the reason. "It sells a lot" isn't the reason why people consider Rockstar's writing good.

If you want an example with a Nintendo game, it's like someone saying they didn't like Odyssey's gameplay and then someone coming and saying "nope, you're wrong, it sold a lot" instead of actually trying to argue.

But it's not just Nintendo's best sellers that don't drop in price though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People don't always agree with the majority. They're called the minority and they're allowed to talk, too.

Besides, if the majority loves a game, does it really need a defense force every time it gets criticized?
Likewise, if a minority likes a game, does it need detractors jumping into every conversation about it?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Selling 2 million copies at full price for a budget game is still selling a lot.

That alone doesn't justify not having price drops. Nintendo's popularity allows them to do this... Not necessarily the quality of the individual title.

So when people handwave R*s writing with their overall popularity... Nintendo is doing the same with their catalogue prices.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
That alone doesn't justify not having price drops. Nintendo's popularity allows them to do this... Not necessarily the quality of the individual title.

So when people handwave R*s writing with their overall popularity... Nintendo is doing the same with their catalogue prices.

Might be missing something, but what does Nintendo have to do with any of this topic?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That alone doesn't justify not having price drops.
Except it literally does. Their game sell well, so why would they drop the prices? Hell, since Rockstar is in the conversation they do the exact same thing. That's a time where "it sells well" is a valid argument.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah.... I honestly feel like Rockstar is the most divisive high profile developer here. People love them or hate them. Like every famous developer has there detractors but not like R*. Like people get legit angry when a rockstar game is praised it's quite odd

It's also possible to like Rockstar and at the same time recognise they have significant issues that permeate through all their marquee games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's the most irritating defense. Like, if I'm complaining about it, it's because I bought it and didn't like it.

Oct 31, 2017
to you.

Most of the promotional material shown before March 2016 (6 months before the original release date) was not in the game at all. Even at the Uncovered event, they used a certain key art for the Deluxe Edition cover, a huge banner, and a 2 minute video about the artwork... and the artwork had absolutely nothing to do with the game.

FFXV's marketing was fucking misleading as hell, intentional or not. Don't call people infants because they expected things that were shown to them numerous times, and not even too long before launch.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This has been really irritating when discussing Pokémon Sword and Shield. Like, of course they're going to sell well. Not only are the full effects of the decision to cut Pokémon not going to to be fully felt until months after launch (plus they were trying to hide the news and while they didn't really succeed, they also didn't fully fail), it's still Pokémon, they're not going to manage to ruin the sales in a single entry. Just because it's still going to sell that doesn't invalidate the criticism. If anything, it makes it more important, because otherwise they're not going to get the message.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Whenever somebody is criticizing a popular game, without fail there's another person dismissing their criticism with "But it sells well!", and most of the time they do it knowing it's a shit argument. For example, in a GTA VI thread from today we had this a lot regarding the quality of Rockstar's writing, with variations of the same "but muh sales" argument repeated ad nauseum because some people really just... couldn't argue normally without resorting to "people like it so it's good".

There's times where this argument holds weight, like when people complain about Nintendo games not dropping in price, or when discussing if people enjoyed a game, but most of the time it's used to just dismiss the criticism of a game the users in question personally like. It's a bad faith argument, hell I think it even counts as ad populum? Seems kinda obvious to have to say it, but a game selling well doesn't mean anything other than it sold well and that people probably like it. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

OP your argument collapses under scrutiny because it's predicated on the premise that A) all criticisms hold equal weight/value, and B) that actual non-nonsense criticisms aren't rooted in an element of inherent subjectivity.

To A) you need to consider that game criticisms, especially on the internet, are far less criticism and more sweeping, unjustified judgements. E.g. if someone spouts off that GTAIV is a "bad game", that's not a criticism. It offers no qualification at all. So a retort saying "but the game sold X tens of millions", is a legitimate argument because the former unqualified judgement is shown its inherent invalidity due to the fact that the person rendering such a judgement is in the extreme minority; i.e. millions of gamers don't come out in droves to buy bad games---they can and do so for flawed games, but never for irredeemably bad games.

Which brings me to point B), when your typical internet gamer renders an "criticism" that a game or facet thereof is "bad", they are neglecting any understanding that their own judgement is rooted in inherent subjectivity. Every gamer has their own subjective biases and prejudices when it comes to games. Some might say turn-based combat in RPGs is bad and makes for bad games. That's not an objective assessment. So not all criticism is valid and some can very well be dismissed for the fact that the person criticising said game or facet thereof is inherently biased against said game/feature and so their criticisms have far less value.

REAL, legitimate and properly qualified gaming criticisms surrounding the less subjective aspects of games are the valuable things that most gamers will be less inclined to challenge. And frankly I've been posting on forums forever and I can't think of one single instance of a person trying to rebut a legitimate criticism of a game with "b-but it sells well". In which case, I'm really curious what spawned you to make a thread about this?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP your argument collapses under scrutiny because it's predicated on the premise that A) all criticisms hold equal weight/value, and B) that actual non-nonsense criticisms aren't rooted in an element of inherent subjectivity.

To A) you need to consider that game criticisms, especially on the internet, are far less criticism and more sweeping, unjustified judgements. E.g. if someone spouts off that GTAIV is a "bad game", that's not a criticism. It offers no qualification at all. So a retort saying "but the game sold X tens of millions", is a legitimate argument because the former unqualified judgement is shown its inherent invalidity due to the fact that the person rendering such a judgement is in the extreme minority; i.e. millions of gamers don't come out in droves to buy bad games---they can and do so for flawed games, but never for irredeemably bad games.

Which brings me to point B), when your typical internet gamer renders an "criticism" that a game or facet thereof is "bad", they are neglecting any understanding that their own judgement is rooted in inherent subjectivity. Every gamer has their own subjective biases and prejudices when it comes to games. Some might say turn-based combat in RPGs is bad and makes for bad games. That's not an objective assessment. So not all criticism is valid and some can very well be dismissed for the fact that the person criticising said game or facet thereof is inherently biased against said game/feature and so their criticisms have far less value.

REAL, legitimate and properly qualified gaming criticisms surrounding the less subjective aspects of games are the valuable things that most gamers will be less inclined to challenge. And frankly I've been posting on forums forever and I can't think of one single instance of a person trying to rebut a legitimate criticism of a game with "b-but it sells well". In which case, I'm really curious what spawned you to make a thread about this?
God damn that's a good post

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Rockstar isn't divisive - it's almost universally loved and seen as the pinnacle of game development.

The only places it's "divisive" are hardcore corners of the internet.

I don't like post-GTA 3 Rockstar games not for the story part but the gameplay part. I hate shooting in GTA 5. I did not buy Red Dead Redemption 2 after hearing about animation above control responsiveness and rigid mission...

I find the game far from any From software games or HZD(combat against machines...) or The Witcher 3 (combat were ok not among the best but I could finish the game...)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
criticism of hugely successful things is of course valid. just don't go expecting your criticism to have any effect.

excellent post.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like post-GTA 3 Rockstar games not for the story part but the gameplay part. I hate shooting in GTA 5. I did not buy Red Dead Redemption 2 after hearing about animation above control responsiveness and rigid mission...

Shooting is awful in those games. I have no shame in setting it to auto aim, and just pretending I'm a character with perfect aim.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's bad for discussion but it's also a good counter for some of the more egregious hyperbole in online critisism.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

I find the game far from any From software games or HZD(combat against machines...) or The Witcher 3 (combat were ok not among the best but I could finish the game...)

You're of course entitled to your opinion.

My point is the vast vast majority of people don't think in terms like that.

Oct 29, 2017
"but it sells" isn't dismissing criticism; it is stating that a lot of people enjoys the thing for what ever reason and thats enough reason for its existence; flaws and all.

this idea that some opinions matter more than others is what actually dampers discussion. So much criticism starts with "this thing is shit" and thats a good way to stifle any conversation because those who like it take it as you are saying they like shit...and thus the disconnect. And thus "but it sells doe" is floated out there as a comeback.

we all could stand to not take everything so serious but thats life for ya lol.

People REALLY need to stop treating their own personal opinions about pop culture like God etched them on stone tablets to show to the world.

Saying "I personally believe" before their comments or something would help defuse some of that tension. It also wouldn't be as punchy or attention-grabbing, though. :/