• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That's kind of the point, the game is so old that a lot of people have never had the chance to play it. Someone who was a 5 year old kid when the game released would be 27 today!
i get that, but for a game as hugely popular as ffvii, trying to contain it is a fruitless endeavour considering most people think of aerith's death scene when they think of vii. not to mention the fact that this information is super easy to come across with social media and whatever

if anything, i'd be surprised if people who have never played vii went into the remake not knowing about the scene considering how much it's been memed

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably why Tifa gets got instead in the Remake.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Nah. That got spoiled for me in 1997 long before I played FFVII myself, and it made no difference in my experience. Her death is one of gaming's most open secrets.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That's why we have "open spoilers" threads, and spoiler tags for the rest.
The story is over two decades old.

There are actual statutes of limitations that are shorter than that.

At some point it just becomes effectively public knowledge and trying to put the genie back in the bottle doesn't work.

Oct 25, 2017
It's time we stopped spoiling Empire Strikes Back

The number of people who have not played FF7, knows what it is, want to, and somehow dont know what happens in it is about 5 people

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
this is an amazingly futile and, quite frankly, ridiculous request

the best way to tackle this would be got-style in the sense that, when the game releases, two separate threads are made -- one for people who have played the game or are aware of the story beats, and one for truly fresh newcomers. even that seems a bit like doing too much for ff7 though.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you, OP. But I think it is important not for this forum in particular (I think a vast majority here already know about Aerith) but for social networks in general. Everyone deserves to experience this story without knowing what will happen

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This makes me want to make a thread titled SEPHIROTH KILLS AERITH on the day the OT goes up.

The game is older than anyone (mentally at least) who would possibly whine about spoilers from two decades ago.

JESUS IS CRUCIFIED

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a spoiler for you: some people who enjoy games were not born 20 years ago :o
Shocking, I know.

^^

I'm hesitant to speak openly about the plot of anything I've seen, read or played to be honest. I've actually never played FFVII, and there's likely no way I'd have gotten away from the spoilers back closer to when it came out. However with FFVIIR coming out now I realize it's probably just about the only story beat from the game that I do know, and I don't think its unreasonable to hope to keep it that way.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't spoil the bible for me, I want to find out what happens to Jesus

Mercer WAS the virus

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LttP: Super Mario Bros (NES) TAG SPOILERS!!!!!

Amazing game. Jesus in the

final battle when you have to fight Bowser and actually do find Princess Peach

I say god damn, was not expecting that.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
HOW ABOUT NO, its a 20+ years old game, even on the wake of a remake, there is no reason to force spoilers, at least not until the OT of the game itself.

this is like telling people of a book to stop talking about spoiler cause the book is gonna get a movie.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
dont cater open conversation about old media to weirdos

them weirdos can choose to media blackout if spoiler hurt them so much

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I admire OP's enthusiasm but SEO and 2 decades worth of content on the internet about the original game make this a fool's errand.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
Didn't they already say they may change the plot significantly? I don't see why we can't talk about (and openly spoil) the 20+ year old game as if it were a separate entity.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this is an amazingly futile and, quite frankly, ridiculous request

the best way to tackle this would be got-style in the sense that, when the game releases, two separate threads are made -- one for people who have played the game or are aware of the story beats, and one for truly fresh newcomers. even that seems a bit like doing too much for ff7 though.

It's funny you mention Game of Thrones when the first book came out in 1991.

That's even older than FFVII, so we should all openly talk about what happens in that, right? Because the HBO-watching crowd totally understands, statute of limitations and all that.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Ok, as long as I get to keep calling her Aeris.

Honestly I try not to post that spoiler openly anyway, just in case. I'm glad it was never an issue when I played it because it was so impactful.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the right call.

Take Game of Thrones, the books had been out for many years but the readers still kept quiet about all the big twists and us, the viewers, were all the better for it.

We should try to be more careful with spoiling the major parts of FFVII.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh....it's from 1997. The statute of limitations is over. When the game comes out there can be a spoiler OT and a non-spoiler OT.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An entire generation of young kids will be experiencing the story for the first time with the remake.
That's the trick.

Aerith lives in the remake.
giphy.gif

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It's fine to have a thread with and one without.
There's plenty of media that everyone hasn't experienced so why not just make a tiny bit of effort.

That said, I can't believe what happens at the end of Super Mario Bros level 1-4. O.O

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you mention Game of Thrones when the first book came out in 1991.

That's even older than FFVII, so we should all openly talk about what happens in that, right? Because the HBO-watching crowd totally understands, statute of limitations and all that.
I mean, yeah. Shit all the books and everything from the show up to and including season 7 should be fair game.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This actually brings up an interesting idea I've had lately. Do any of you think SE is going to change important story beats to subvert expectations? If Aerith doesn't die, for example, it would lead to a very very different next act. We've seen that they're introducing Sephiroth sooner, so I feel like it's possible.
(Not necessarily that specific story element, but that's the big one)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aeris dying isn't that big of a deal compared to the plot point that CLOUD IS A GODDAMN FRAUD

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sephiroth is

supposedly the son of a malevolent alien but maybe not and rather just a poor kid that went mad because his genes were spliced with alien DNA by his mad scientist dad. Think of him like shirley birkins and his dad like william birkins in RE2

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have an exact metric for that?

When people line up at Gamestop on launch day (well, let's pretend GS is still around by then) will you ask each one "Hey did you know Aerith dies?"
I'm not going to actively shout spoilers, instead I'm going to tell people that the spoiler they likely already read doesn't ruin the game in the least, and to enjoy it.