• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you mention Game of Thrones when the first book came out in 1991.

That's even older than FFVII, so we should all openly talk about what happens in that, right? Because the HBO-watching crowd totally understands, statute of limitations and all that.
You realize the TV show has completely diverged from the books right

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Both Romeo AND Juliet die in the book. Not sorry for the spoiler.

Srsly the spoiler shit is getting insane at this point.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, yeah. Shit all the books and everything from the show up to and including season 7 should be fair game.

I've had two people I know literally start watching the series from the beginning as of a week ago.

If you know anyone who's done the same feel free to tell them everything up to season 7. I'm sure they'll be totally understanding.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit. It's been over TWENTY YEARS.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck no. It's a 2 decade old game. You don't get to give a shit about something that has existed the entire time you've been alive getting spoiled lol
What the fuck is happening on this forum. OT has another thread of people whining about a Game of Thrones spoiler from 4 or 5 years ago. If you haven't seen it by now, it clearly isn't that important to you, so getting mad about spoilers seems pathetic

No, this post is pathetic. There is a reason that spoiler threads and tags exist.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of watching Straight Outta Compton. When Eazy was announced as contracting AIDS someone gasped and started crying because they couldn't believe it lol.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Eric Sparrow steals the Hawaii tape and tries to steal your spot in the Slam City Jam.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think 1 year is way too long to shelter people from spoilers yet alone something 20 years old.

I shouldn't be expected to filter everything I want to say.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Eric Sparrow steals the Hawaii tape and tries to steal your spot in the Slam City Jam.
ah8eqnohbft11.png

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Can I say Vader is Lukes dad on the internet after Disney announces star wars 4k blu rays?
Here's something that may surprise you: there may be people who weren't alive 20 years ago who might want to try this game out.

Star Wars has been around for what, 40+ years? I'm sure at some point little Timmy wanted to check the movie out only to have his asshole dad don a Darth Vader helmet and start spouting "I am your father". If all the fans stopped meme'ing that line, it could probably be obscure again.

Yeah I know that's borderline impossible, but as big as FFVII is, it's not Star Wars big. I think it's less impossible to curb the open spoilers.

No

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
i get that, but for a game as hugely popular as ffvii, trying to contain it is a fruitless endeavour considering most people think of aerith's death scene when they think of vii. not to mention the fact that this information is super easy to come across with social media and whatever

if anything, i'd be surprised if people who have never played vii went into the remake not knowing about the scene considering how much it's been memed

The thing is that FFVII isn't that "hugely" popular or famous anymore, either, and that includes its memes. Works of art slowly fade to obscurity; it's no longer 1997, or even the 2000s.

GrandeDp

Oct 28, 2017
It's been out for 20 plus years and been readily available on all Sony consoles and PC to play since then. Spoilers are free game imo.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, i will continue to openly discuss the twenty something year old game. Take it up with a mod if you're that worried

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the footage we've seen I doubt we're getting to City of the Ancients until game three of the remake, so a whole new generation of five year olds will grow up not knowing what happens that we need to protect from spoilers anyway. Vicious cycle

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had two people I know literally start watching the series from the beginning as of a week ago.

If you know anyone who's done the same feel free to tell them everything up to season 7. I'm sure they'll be totally understanding.
There's a difference from knowingly telling people that are new to a story what happens and discussing something on a forum.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're gonna leave in the scene where Cloud kills baby Squall Leonhart with a KEYBLADE

but obviously it's just a dream sequence or else we'd never get Final Fantasy VIII: VII-2

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Based on the footage we've seen I doubt we're getting to City of the Ancients until game three of the remake, so a whole new generation of five year olds will grow up not knowing what happens anyway
"wait til you kids get to disc two! ... in 20 years or so..."

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
An entire generation of young kids will be experiencing the story for the first time with the remake.

I don't think it needs to be officially off limits or anything. But personally, I'm going to be respectful and not drop massive spoilers without tagging them in threads. The same thing applies to Link's Awakening.

This is my approach. Like it takes ZERO effort to not spoil someone. Throw in a spoiler tag. Wow. So much time saved. I understand it's reached Vader level of cultural knowledge, but as many have said, there's a whole generation of kids who might not have played this before. Let's let them rock and enjoy it like we did.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think 1 year is way too long to shelter people from spoilers yet alone something 20 years old.

I shouldn't be expected to filter everything I want to say.
Nobody said you should. It takes literally one second to put a spoiler tag.

That's what gets me in these threads. It takes one goddamn second to tag an important plot point. That's all...

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
This thread reminds me of a co-worker who chastised us for talking about Game of Thrones because he hadn't watched any of the show yet. We all just laughed at him and carried on with our conversation.

Also PAL gamers would remember that Aerith's death was basically spoiled by the game's box art anyway.

243319-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-back-cover.jpg

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the sentiment.

I was spoiled before FFVII came out in 1997 though... it's not just because it's an old classic that people are spoil-happy over that moment. It's been one of those open secrets since the moment it came out in Japan.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also like how these threads always attract comedy geniuses who start spouting spoilers about other older stories. You're great, keep at it, you're the best.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people being snarky about spoilers were all crying to Jesus last month about Endgame spoilers. You can't have it both ways.

Oct 25, 2017
No one cares though

Like, that's the thing of remakes, just because it's new to someone doesn't change that it's been around for decades. If you didn't want to be spoiled, you should have been born sooner scrub.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
at the end of The A.B.C. Murders, Hercule Poirot solves the murders after doing a wicked cool keg stand

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It's been over 20 fucking years people.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I also like how these threads always attract comedy geniuses who start spouting spoilers about other older stories. You're great, keep at it, you're the best.
at the end of The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, Hercule Poirot corners the pudding in the sewers and shoots it with a poison dart

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This is my approach. Like it takes ZERO effort to not spoil someone. Throw in a spoiler tag. Wow. So much time saved. I understand it's reached Vader level of cultural knowledge, but as many have said, there's a whole generation of kids who might not have played this before. Let's let them rock and enjoy it like we did.
At least this generation has a chance of not seeing it right in the 30 second television commercial

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
new rule: you can post as many final fantasy vii spoilers as you want, but only from final fantasy vii doujinshi

also you're not allowed to say where they're from