• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is something I've been thinking about ever since the Remake was announced. Obviously it goes without saying that a big chunk of the fans who played the original are going to scoop up the new version when it comes out, no matter how loudly some will complain about the changes made.

But it's also abundantly clear that there's going to be a significant chunk of people who never touched FFVII, let alone RPGs, that will go into this game out of curiosity.

It's been accepted for the longest time that Aerith's Death is one of the most openly spoiled moments in videogame history, kind of like other spoilers for other big franchises like Star Wars or Harry Potter. Obviously there's going to be a fair share of newbies going into FFVII and at least knowing about Aerith's fate through osmosis.

Even so...I've seen for myself plenty of online posts from people who 100% have no idea that it happens.

That's why I want to try and make a community plea that we stop openly spoiling Aerith's Death, in addition to any other FFVII spoilers involving the characters, story, and so on.

I'm aware this is a tall order, it's not like we can control media outlets, journalists, meme lords and the thousands of other people still mentioning that moment to this day. But if there's a chance to spread awareness in order to lessen awareness of this moment, then a whole new generation of people can fall in love with Final Fantasy VII again and experience the same heartbreak so many of us felt back in 1997. Based on the community reactions I've witnessed online, people are already positively receptive towards Aerith's unveiling in today's trailer, both old fans and new fans alike. We owe it to the folks going in blind, scant as they may be, to let them experience FFVII for the first time.

At the very least it's the courteous thing to do.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're doing this, I'll throw out Link's Awakening too, since at this point BotW brought in enough new young fans to not even be aware of that game's plot.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should mark it with a spoiler first?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
nah man, it's ridiculous to expect people to do that.

the game is like 22 years old at this point and has been ported to every platform under the sun, her death scene is practically the first thing you hear about vii. if you haven't played it at this point, that's on you.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Getting people to stop spoiling Aerith's death is like trying to get people to stop spoiling that Darth Vader is Luke's father. That cat's never being put back in the bag.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spoiler culture is the literal fucking worst. No one should be mad for having a 20 year old game spoiled.

Seriously if these things bother you stay off the internet.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry, while I understand your position I just think it's kind of silly. Final Fantasy VII exists. It has for over 20 years. I'm pretty strongly an anti-spoiler person but this is just too far.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon....

There's probably more people that have played FFVII knowing the spoiler than those without by now. It's a non issue

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game came out over 20 years ago.

Here's something that may surprise you: there may be people who weren't alive 20 years ago who might want to try this game out.

Star Wars has been around for what, 40+ years? I'm sure at some point little Timmy wanted to check the movie out only to have his asshole dad don a Darth Vader helmet and start spouting "I am your father". If all the fans stopped meme'ing that line, it could probably be obscure again.

Yeah I know that's borderline impossible, but as big as FFVII is, it's not Star Wars big. I think it's less impossible to curb the open spoilers.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh please. "Aerith dies" is to RPG's as "No, I am your father" is to blockbuster movies. Anyone who's remotely familiar with the genre knows that going in at this point.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Here's a spoiler for you: some people who enjoy games were not born 20 years ago :o
Shocking, I know.

The logical conclusion is then nothing can ever be talked about openly because there will always be somebody not alive or not able to consume a piece of fiction when it was released.

Like...c'mon.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I say Vader is Lukes dad on the internet after Disney announces star wars 4k blu rays?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
aerith__s_death_by_crazyfreak1321.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Here's a spoiler for you: some people who enjoy games were not born 20 years ago :o
Shocking, I know.
damn.... for real...? whodathunkit huh

still isn't really an excuse lol, you're crazy if you expect people to not talk about something like this openly after twenty whole years of the game existing, it's practically a meme at this point and synonymous with the game even if you ain't played it

spoiler culture is wild i swear

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I havent even played the damn thing and its an open spoiler at this point. Openly parodied like on some form of gaming media. People who are so unaware theyve completely missed it can be commended for doing so because I have no idea how they did it if they communicate with other gamers on the reg. For me this is on Bruce Willis is a ghost levels of open spoilers

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
C'mon....

There's probably more people that have played FFVII knowing the spoiler than those without by now. It's a non issue

An entire generation of young kids will be experiencing the story for the first time with the remake.

I don't think it needs to be officially off limits or anything. But personally, I'm going to be respectful and not drop massive spoilers without tagging them in threads. The same thing applies to Link's Awakening.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No.

That's like asking someone not to spoil Murder on the Orient Express during the run up to the remake in 2017.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fuck no. It's a 2 decade old game. You don't get to give a shit about something that has existed the entire time you've been alive getting spoiled lol
What the fuck is happening on this forum. OT has another thread of people whining about a Game of Thrones spoiler from 4 or 5 years ago. If you haven't seen it by now, it clearly isn't that important to you, so getting mad about spoilers seems pathetic

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
C'mon....

Do you have an exact metric for that?

When people line up at Gamestop on launch day (well, let's pretend GS is still around by then) will you ask each one "Hey did you know Aerith dies?"

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Aeirith dies, Cloud is edgy, Sephiroth is the final boss, there are summons in the game, and holy shit this game is over 20 years old we can spoil it openly if we want

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Like you said, Aerith's death is the closest thing games have to a "I am your father" moment. Trying to contain it is a wasted effort.

If we're doing this, I'll throw out Link's Awakening too, since at this point BotW brought in enough new young fans to not even be aware of that game's plot.

I'm all on board with this, though. Link's Awakening is probably among the least-played Zelda games so it'd be neat to keep it a surprise.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you never openly talked about Vader being Luke's dad.
When I watched Star Wars with my nieces I didn't freaking spoil it for them, no. That would make me a gigantic jerk.
It's like context matters.
Also, who ever goes around spouting that Vader is Luke's father at random times?
The only instances I see this is when people like you use it as the most obvious reference in spoiler threads.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The game came out over 20 years ago.
nah man, it's ridiculous to expect people to do that.

the game is like 22 years old at this point and has been ported to every platform under the sun, her death scene is practically the first thing you hear about vii. if you haven't played it at this point, that's on you.

That's kind of the point, the game is so old that a lot of people have never had the chance to play it. Someone who was a 5 year old kid when the game released would be 27 today!

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This game is 20 years old god damn why can't y'all just be normal
As someone is anti-spoiler to the max even i can't support trying to shelter people from spoilers from a game that's 20 some years old. Yeah, it's a remake but it's a remake of a 20 some year old damn game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
An entire generation of young kids will be experiencing the story for the first time with the remake.

I don't think it needs to be officially off limits or anything. But personally, I'm going to be respectful and not drop massive spoilers without tagging them in threads. The same thing applies to Link's Awakening.
This generation of youth is glued to the net. Searching for info of upcoming FFVII is likely to lead to immediate spoiler/memes regardless. There's no shielding that.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Real talk though, this is like trying to hide the fact that Darth Vader is Luke's father just because Empire is getting a theater re-release.