• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you everyone
The fact that it's a goddamn meme at this point about how awful Era is to trans people and moderation has the gall to ban a super prominent member for barely referencing problematic comments made by a staff member in order to cover their own asses shouldn't be surprising really. Era will keep continuing on to perpetuate the visage of being ultra woke, when really its a bunch of nerdy ass white liberal men that cower the second they personally have to deal with anything that isn't "normal". Trash ass response, trash ass message, and trash ass staff. Go ahead and ban idrc since I barely ever log on anyway.

I'd say you should be ashamed of yourselves but clearly you can't see beyond the shelter of your privileges.
o7

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The fact that it's a goddamn meme at this point about how awful Era is to trans people and moderation has the gall to ban a super prominent member for barely referencing problematic comments made by a staff member in order to cover their own asses shouldn't be surprising really. Era will keep continuing on to perpetuate the visage of being ultra woke, when really its a bunch of nerdy ass white liberal men that cower the second they personally have to deal with anything that isn't "normal". Trash ass response, trash ass message, and trash ass staff. Go ahead and ban idrc since I barely ever log on anyway.

I'd say you should be ashamed of yourselves but clearly you can't see beyond the shelter of your privileges.

Hey Staff, is this what you think a self-requested ban is?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all seriously had the gall to pretend this was a self-requested ban.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the staff is currently discussing with Royalan about that post then Ket deserves the same respect. As far as I am aware she was never even talked to which is horribly unfair.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

woowww unbelievable

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?

I'm so sorry TransERA, I honestly I'm speechless, after everything in the last 2 years of starting fresh, it's close to burning down again at the worst time.

Nawid

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the mods have been bad from day 1 - the issues just didn't become obvious until later. I still remember when they said new rules would be decided on by the community and then they just brought over GAF's banned games list without a discussion. Regardless of your thoughts on the list, that was fishy af.
It's been over-moderated from the jump. And it's never felt like a place where actual discussion could happen. The moderators definitely have pushed this board toward their specific views just as it was at Neogaf.

Oct 25, 2017
That Yuki ban feels like a really inappropriate and, assuming good faith, REALLY BAD knee jerk reaction. I'm just assuming it wasn't exploiting the ban request option rule to ban someone who didn't want to be banned.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Oh it's far too late for that. Once that Royalan post got revealed, the shit rightly hit the fan, and that fan is not going to be turned off anytime soon.
I mean, I'll admit probably thinking the same thing until this whole situation forced me to think about it more. In the past I've even flat out said asexual people are just mad about the marriage tax cuts.

I never thought about what it means to have who you are be denied and put down every single time someone pushy talks to you about relationships, or how you can still desire romance but feel forced into doing something you don't want because that's what is drilled into you as the only way romance works.

If people want to yell at me for not seeing it sooner, they're free to do so. They have no obligation to protect my feelings when I failed to protect theirs. But I like to think there's a way forward as long as you're willing to learn. In that sense, this whole thing spiraling out of control has nothing to do with digging that post up, but with the response showing an unwillingness to reckon with it.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the staff is currently discussing with Royalan about that post then Ket deserves the same respect. As far as I am aware she was never even talked to which is horribly unfair.
Yeah, that they banned someone permanently on a feeling is probably the most frustrating thing about this to me.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is poetic that this is how the trans awareness week thread turned out, considering the issues the trans community has been facing here for months

SweetNicole’s input and thoughts on the situation

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

I would suggest the following:
  • The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

edit: fixed a typo

Last edited:

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

"Self-Requested"

lol

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
It's something else indeed to see ban reasons being alternative fact'd because they don't want to list the real reason it was done.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big up to my LGBTQ+ peoples.
cmf7hDd.gif

Sorry it took this mess for me to post in here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'll admit probably thinking the same thing until this whole situation forced me to think about it more. In the past I've even flat out said asexual people are just made about the marriage tax cuts.

I never thought about what it means to have who you are be denied and put down every single time someone pushy talks to you about relationships, or how you can still desire romance but feel forced into doing something you don't want because that's what is drilled into you as the only way romance works.

If people want to yell at me for not seeing it sooner, they're free to do so. They have no obligation to protect my feelings when I failed to protect theirs. But I like to think there's a way forward as long as you're willing to learn. In that sense, this whole thing spiraling out of control has nothing to do with digging that post up, but with the response showing an unwillingness to reckon with it.
I can understand that people change their view over time, however in light of current actions and insight that does not appear to be the case here.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone posted about mods being fucking cops looking out for their own and it's on point. Terrible week for this all to happen to the trans community, but let's be honest its always these weeks when this shit happens.

Also support to the Ace community, you deserve better than a mod who thinks they're struggle invalidates yours.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Here to show support, love, and solidarity for the trans and asexual communities of this site. You guys deserve better than this.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Of course the thread in OT gets closed mid post.

This entire situation is fucked and infuriating. Moderation on the site has always been widely inconsistent, if not outright poor. I never thought something this ridiculous would happen though.

I guess when bad habits are allowed to foster ever since the sites creation perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Whether it's on the site or elsewhere I hope TransERA is able to stick together as a community. Y'all should be treated better than this.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really at the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

• The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

Thanks for the support, Nicole. I mean that sincerely.

And just in case anybody wants to know which post Nicole is referring to, here it is again!

unknown-3.png

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Hey everyone,

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really at the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

Thanks,
Nicole

Really hope this happens, Era needs to show it's better than GAF. Right now they're just GAF 2.0.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Nicole
Excellent post.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that they banned someone permanently on a feeling is probably the most frustrating thing about this to me.
Agreed.

The double-down against Ket is awful. If you're going to make an 'investigation' then talk to her and/or Robin. Don't just go forward on assumptions, especially ones that were negative against Ket from the very start. (looking at you, 'abuse' ban message)

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for making me aware of what's been happening. It's becoming more disappointing about what's been happening that's been growing worse. It's clear seeing the same mistakes being made prior with the lack of transparency and communications involved that this site was clearly meant to change.

It's a massive issue for a community if the minorities don't feel safe to comment at all and not clearly addressed right in the front page of the site how they intend to address it which is the bare minimum expectations for any forum that claims to be progressive is pretty damning of the situation itself that myself saw this issue happening in a thread that's locked within minutes. That's not addressing the problem, communicating with literally the community which makes the forum.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still catching up on everything that happened here but in case this thread is locked I just want to say that this is some shameful shit from the staff here. The trans community on this site is incredible and deserves so much better than this.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not even know where to even start when talking about how the mod staff is acting right now. They are supposed to be better then pulling this shadowy ass bullshit and trying to cover stuff up, I am getting some real flash backs here back to what happened in the Etika thread. This is just going too far and all of the Trans people on this site should feel 100% SAFE to talk freely and post here. And I will say it again because it deserves to be said.

Trans Posters Should Feel Safe To Post On ERA!

We need to do better with how things are handled on this site with it's staff.