• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really at the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

I would suggest the following:
  • The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole
good post

whats been done to kets is extremely frustrating to me

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really at the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

• The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

Nicole, you're one of the most admirable people I've seen on the Internet. Thank you again for keeping a level-head & for making this wonderful response. I hope the mods take it to heart. Though I won't pretend I expect that to happen.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
This whole sequence of events has been so disappointing. I'm really not sure what else to even say at this point.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

Thanks,
Nicole

edit: fixed a typo
This was a much welcome post, thank you for writing it, Nicole.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Signed. Solidarity. This has clearly gone too far.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Nicole
Excellent post Nicole! We should elevate ourselves to be better than GAF even if it means getting rid of the current staff.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks left and right.
So are all the mods asleep?
Reset mods at the moment:
giphy.gif

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is being posted on behalf of the team:

Ketkat has been banned for violating a safe space for minorities in a private channel on a staff server, a channel that has very limited access and the expectation of privacy. We have investigated this thoroughly over the past few days, and that she did this is not in dispute. In fact, it confirms a pattern that had been suspected for a long time.

There is no question that Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself, a fact that makes this breach all the more frustrating and sad.

The entire staff was given an opportunity to weigh in on this case over the past few days. In light of the violation of their privacy, many expressed that they would not feel comfortable or safe volunteering here if such intrusions were tolerated. For this reason, the ban has been made permanent. This decision was not and could not have been made without careful consideration and large consensus.

Fighting transphobia is an entirely separate issue that we care about deeply. We spend a lot of time and energy on this and are always working to improve our moderation on this subject, including through sincere feedback from our community. This is something that will never change. We would like to thank the many of you in the trans community who have reached out to offer your understanding and support.

Certain individuals have been persistently trying to hijack this thread to fight a ban. Despite the pain it has caused our volunteers, we have been more than patient with the animosity in some of those posts. The decision is now final and it's time to move on. Not everyone is going to be happy with that, and that's okay. Excessive vitriol, however, will be moderated.

Please return to the important topic of trans awareness week.
i think it's fair to show proof now. also how was consensus made? what evidence was presented to the mods?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

Thanks,
Nicole

Wonderful post. Thank you so much for this.

Free KetKat
Free Yuki
Ban Acephobe Staff
Ban Acephobe Sympathizers

For the new page:

unknown-3.png

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Nicole
Excellent post. Thank you for writing it Nicole <3

I especially want to highlight

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable.
That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

I believe that most people understand that volunteering for a site such as this is not easy and, at times, not fun or rewarding. It's difficult to be in that position and to carry on simply because you like the community. However, that doesn't invalidate criticisms or complaints against moderation and/or staff. The response so far has felt that staff cares more about their own than they do that of the community, something that, as Nicole said, is rather backwards. We continue as a community by respecting and helping one another, not by making one better and more deserving of respect.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Official Staff Communication
This is being posted on behalf of the team:

Ketkat has been banned for violating a safe space for minorities in a private channel on a staff server, a channel that has very limited access and the expectation of privacy. We have investigated this thoroughly over the past few days, and that she did this is not in dispute. In fact, it confirms a pattern that had been suspected for a long time.

There is no question that Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself, a fact that makes this breach all the more frustrating and sad.

The entire staff was given an opportunity to weigh in on this case over the past few days. In light of the violation of their privacy, many expressed that they would not feel comfortable or safe volunteering here if such intrusions were tolerated. For this reason, the ban has been made permanent. This decision was not and could not have been made without careful consideration and large consensus.

Fighting transphobia is an entirely separate issue that we care about deeply. We spend a lot of time and energy on this and are always working to improve our moderation on this subject, including through sincere feedback from our community. This is something that will never change. We would like to thank the many of you in the trans community who have reached out to offer your understanding and support.

Certain individuals have been persistently trying to hijack this thread to fight a ban. Despite the pain it has caused our volunteers, we have been more than patient with the animosity in some of those posts. The decision is now final and it's time to move on. Not everyone is going to be happy with that, and that's okay. Excessive vitriol, however, will be moderated.

Please return to the important topic of trans awareness week.

You have got to be fuckin' kidding with this bullshit.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
This whole sequence of events has been so disappointing. I'm really not sure what else to even say at this point.

Seconded. I've been writing and rewriting posts for the last 10 minutes. The trans and ace communities should feel safe to post here, but we've failed them in that regard. Nicole's response is probably better than anything I could come up with, but things never should have gotten to this point of feeling unsafe to actually be here as part of this larger community, and shit needs to happen so it doesn't happen again.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Nicole

This is a great post.

Sibylus - Forum suggestions for improvement & discussion

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Signed. Solidarity. This has clearly gone too far.
Seconded, and we can do even better:

• Sanction board: per-user thread that collates their history of warnings, bans, why, and the reasoning behind extensions. Don't obfuscate behind a shell account.
  • Formal ban appeals: to be attended to not by the mod that instituted the ban, particularly when considering long or permanent bans, as a hedge against cronyism, over-reaction, or plain error. Include appeals to the sanction board.
  • Mod nominations: you want better coverage of the forum's corners, more diverse voices, and a less adversarial relationship? Here's a way how. Nominate on a regular cycle such that existing mods can also feel free to step down without shortchanging anyone.
  • Mod recalls: because, let's be honest. Sometimes we get some stinkers and that's just mundane reality when it comes to running a place like this. Make nominations for recall anonymous through a bot akin to the Giftbot, and set a percentile threshold to carry the recall or not.
  • No blanket staff posts: Append each name individually to an advisory post, not in aggregate. If you want to be regarded as like us, post like us instead of erecting a procedural wall of perfect mod unity (it mostly serves to stifle discussion and cement the perspective that you're not our peers).
  • Forget moderation of console warring/port begging/store warz that falls below the point of personal attacks. It's all trivial consumerist faff and coming down on it so hard is a solution in search of a problem. It's busywork, not valuable work.
  • Shed the Gaf vestiges: seriously, so much of this crud is just hanging on because of simple inertia. Do we need member castes? Do we need four canonical subforums? Do we need to mandate OTs that expire at 20k posts?
  • No more heavy-handed, "This is the last word on that, the united, formless, shapeless, and undivided mod mass decrees it" tosh. Discussions taper off and end. Don't throw weight around just to have the last word.
  • More openness: discussion of the site's culture, future, and problems can't solely remain the prerogative of the mod team. Open discussion is the only reasonable way to make things better, work conciliation, and invest the entire forum in better outcomes.
  • Proportion: accusations of bigotry can't be simply played off with stonewalling and blanket accusations of a criminal offense committed by the sanctioned member. It's irresponsible, it's insulting, and perfectly underlines the cultural problem that is driving people away and embittering members against a mod team that increasingly looks out of touch and out of hand.
  • Conciliation: full and open discussions of crises like this one, including giving the accused and their witnesses the chance to speak for and defend themselves, and full ownership of mistakes, blind-spots, failings (both on the account of the mods and the accused). The social expectation to cop to fuckups should be expected of mods too, and not just as something that is nice to have when it happens.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in bed and haven't had a chance to get into this yet, but in the mean time: trans rights are human rights, and aces are cool. Not looking forward to read about this mess during the day.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Yukiko™ may have been unbanned, absolutely cowardly, pathetic, and disgusting that they were ever banned to begin with

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Nicole

I really, really wish you were still the administrator here.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
That this is happening on this week of all weeks is not ok.

IT IS NOT OK.

I stand in solidarity with my trans sisters and brothers as a cis gay man.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This website needs more than an apology.

We got to this point because the administration and moderation team has run things with a seige mentality, not unlike cops in a police department. Everyone in the mod team is trusted, everyone outside it is just a 'perp' waiting to go off and get banned.

Don't want to open discussions for open feedback because actually moderating a discussion is hard.

Hide behind a badge and act appalled and panic-ban someone for daring to violate some hangout you had as an enforcer.

You've seen this story before.

The more insular the people running the site get, the less it actually serves the community that lives there. You can't just make appeals to the site culture with empty platitudes while you make bad moves that clearly show you don't get it.