• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
SweetNicole - Additional thoughts

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
A few things I would remind people as the evening hours begin in earnest:

To the community: Even on our best days when I was on staff, it took staff time to respond to issues. An issue of this magnitude, it will take time for them to respond. There is still time for them to respond correctly, now. Please have a bit of patience and wait for their response rather than demanding they rush things. You can still talk about this problem and how we got here, but rushing is not prudent. We want them to get this right. It is also late hours of the night for most of us, and many people, community and staff included would be greatly served by sleeping on this.

To the staff: Although things are bad right now, the community doesn't want to leave. People are looking for you to give them a reason to stay. They're looking for you to give them a reason to hope. They're looking for you to show them with their actions that things are going to be okay in the long run, even if they're not okay right now. Please, please, do not waste this opportunity.

And, I know posting your trans policies publicly is scary. Yes, it is possible it could be abused by bad faith actors. But I worry more about the community than I do some bad faith actors right now. The damage has already been done, and it will require extreme solutions to restore things to normal. The choice seems to be between rebuilding faith with the community or dealing with some bad faith actors. For me, it is clear which is the right decision is out of those options, and I earnestly hope it is clear for you too.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I am better with google than the internal search and used it to look up who KitKat is just to be sure and saw that other sites have picked up on this issue. A very prominent hate site to be exact. The avatar in question is now starting to be misused over there too. That´s how bad this already is despite the fact that this isn´t even 24 hours old yet. All your words are literally being screen-capped and monitored. Just a heads up.

English is my 3rd language so I don´t even have the correct terms to participate in a deeper English language LGBT+ discussion. I just had to look up what acephobia is for example, so I'll just stay away but let´s just say that I am part of the cause in leave it there. Trans Rights are Human Rights.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Just free KetKat and change the mods, shuffle things up every 4-5 months.

I don't want one community suddenly leaving because one decision that was illogical.

Please, do the right thing.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, mods. Not sure if you're reading this but consider this complicated series of issues here:

So, you say you created a safe space chatroom for the LGBT+ mods. Yet, in this LGBT+ safespace chat room, someone said something acephobic. And that was let fly. Now, imagine if someone, a gay person, said they really don't get trans people and feel like they shouldn't be part of the LGB spectrum. And that flew by. Would that really be a safe space for LGBT+ people? Like, really? Think about that and then consider why the community is not very happy with your response. Ketkat being perma'd for revealing that bit of hypocrisy endorses the hypocrisy.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Acephobia is bafflingly common in LGBT circles, I've started to notice. Very glad to see most posters here agree that it's a bad thing to exclude ace people from the LGBT community.

As for this whole mod situation, I get that it takes a while to co-ordinate a response and it's a massive group of volunteers, but there's a point at which you need to stem the tide of negative opinion before it overwhelms the perception of the site entirely. The time for a simple "we'll investigate this" has long since passed it looks like - people want action.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unban Ketkat. Easiest fucking first step that can be made.

This Trans Week has become a dark moment for ERA. Time to correct that

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
You guys are going to wait for a while.

Right now, the mod team is likely pointing fingers and shouting at each other about what to do.

Which is just slightly better than a circlejerk.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making those threads (that got instantly locked with no explaining message from staff, lol) guys, otherwise i wouldn't have seen what's going on here. Absolutely ridiculous actions from the mods and i am not surprised at the laughable reaction that they seem to have picked up from Gaf of locking the threads and banning people with no explanations when they are questioned. A shame.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I am confused as to what's happening. Era is my favorite place online because of its inclusivity relative to most other sites I've lurked, and it's progressivism, nerdiness/geekiness and video game expertise. You all make my life better with great threads to read about countless different subjects, and excellent discussions. I hope that we can all find the right solutions to solve these current issues and return to being a happy, only occasionally contentious, openly communicative, wonderfully diverse family again :/

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
A few things I would remind people as the evening hours begin in earnest:

To the community: Even on our best days when I was on staff, it took staff time to respond to issues. An issue of this magnitude, it will take time for them to respond. There is still time for them to respond correctly, now. Please have a bit of patience and wait for their response rather than demanding they rush things. You can still talk about this problem and how we got here, but rushing is not prudent. We want them to get this right. It is also late hours of the night for most of us, and many people, community and staff included would be greatly served by sleeping on this.

To the staff: Although things are bad right now, the community does want to leave. People are looking for you to give them a reason to stay. They're looking for you to give them a reason to hope. They're looking for you to show them with their actions that things are going to be okay in the long run, even if they're not okay right now. Please, please, do not waste this opportunity.

And, I know posting your trans policies publicly is scary. Yes, it is possible it could be abused by bad faith actors. But I worry more about the community than I do some bad faith actors right now. The damage has already been done, and it will require extreme solutions to restore things to normal. The choice seems to be between rebuilding faith with the community or dealing with some bad faith actors. For me, it is clear which is the right decision is out of those options, and I earnestly hope it is clear for you too.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-talk-where-does-era-go-from-here.153943/ I'd love it if the policies I'd advanced for discussion here would be given a chance to be actually discussed, and not just reiterated here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I really, really wish you were still the administrator here.
Co-signed

And because circumstances compel it, this bears re-quoting endlessly:
  • Sanction board: per-user thread that collates their history of warnings, bans, why, and the reasoning behind extensions. Don't obfuscate behind a shell account.
  • Formal ban appeals: to be attended to not by the mod that instituted the ban, particularly when considering long or permanent bans, as a hedge against cronyism, over-reaction, or plain error. Include appeals to the sanction board.
  • Mod nominations: you want better coverage of the forum's corners, more diverse voices, and a less adversarial relationship? Here's a way how. Nominate on a regular cycle such that existing mods can also feel free to step down without shortchanging anyone.
  • Mod recalls: because, let's be honest. Sometimes we get some stinkers and that's just mundane reality when it comes to running a place like this. Make nominations for recall anonymous through a bot akin to the Giftbot, and set a percentile threshold to carry the recall or not.
  • No blanket staff posts: Append each name individually to an advisory post, not in aggregate. If you want to be regarded as like us, post like us instead of erecting a procedural wall of perfect mod unity (it mostly serves to stifle discussion and cement the perspective that you're not our peers).
  • Forget moderation of console warring/port begging/store warz that falls below the point of personal attacks. It's all trivial consumerist faff and coming down on it so hard is a solution in search of a problem. It's busywork, not valuable work.
  • Shed the Gaf vestiges: seriously, so much of this crud is just hanging on because of simple inertia. Do we need member castes? Do we need four canonical subforums? Do we need to mandate OTs that expire at 20k posts?
  • No more heavy-handed, "This is the last word on that, the united, formless, shapeless, and undivided mod mass decrees it" tosh. Discussions taper off and end. Don't throw weight around just to have the last word.
  • More openness: discussion of the site's culture, future, and problems can't solely remain the prerogative of the mod team. Open discussion is the only reasonable way to make things better, work conciliation, and invest the entire forum in better outcomes.
  • Proportion: accusations of bigotry can't be simply played off with stonewalling and blanket accusations of a criminal offense committed by the sanctioned member. It's irresponsible, it's insulting, and perfectly underlines the cultural problem that is driving people away and embittering members against a mod team that increasingly looks out of touch and out of hand.
  • Conciliation: full and open discussions of crises like this one, including giving the accused and their witnesses the chance to speak for and defend themselves, and full ownership of mistakes, blind-spots, failings (both on the account of the mods and the accused). The social expectation to cop to fuckups should be expected of mods too, and not just as something that is nice to have when it happens.
WE NEED REFORM ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If I was KetKat, I'd wonder if I would even want to post here if I was unbanned.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, mods. Not sure if you're reading this but consider this complicated series of issues here:

So, you say you created a safe space chatroom for the LGBT+ mods. Yet, in this LGBT+ safespace chat room, someone said something acephobic. And that was let fly. Now, imagine if someone, a gay person, said they really don't get trans people and feel like they shouldn't be part of the LGB spectrum. And that flew by. Would that really be a safe space for LGBT+ people? Like, really? Think about that and then consider why the community is not very happy with your response.

Sadly, it seems as though the staff believes that sort of behavior is not only acceptable, but more important to them than having the trans and ace community be welcome here.

I'd love to be proven wrong, believe me. But I have very little faith in them now.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I am better with google than the internal search and used it to look up who KitKat is just to be sure and saw that other sites have picked up on this issue. A very prominent hate site to be exact. The avatar in question is now starting to be misused over there too. That´s how bad this already is despite the fact that this isn´t even 24 hours old yet. All your words are literally being screen-capped and monitored. Just a heads up.

English is my 3rd language so I don´t even have the correct terms to participate in a deeper English language LGBT+ discussion. I just had to look up what acephobia is for example, so I'll just stay away but let´s just say that I am part of the cause in leave it there. Trans Rights are Human Rights.

Oh, I figured the CHUDs were salivating over watching this happen. Staff really can't just be playing with stuff like this-- their mistakes are having horrible knock-on effects.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in to throw my support behind TransEra here. I really hope the current administration listens to the community here and learns how to be better for them and the community at-large. There needs to be a site discussion thread so when people feel they aren't being treated properly that we as a community can see and discuss actions to be taken to alleviate discomfort and discrimination. The only people who should be unwelcome are close-minded bigots.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said, other than the fact that I 100% agree. I'm a straight white male and I have had no issue with LGBTQIA+ people whatsoever. I think LGBTQIA+ people are amazing and it's not fair that they don't feel welcome and safe here. I 100% support TransEra. <3

Last edited:

kiKs__

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2019
This is wild. I was always under the impression that ERA was very pro trans going by what I witnessed when I lurked. Like how they would post that study on female trans athletes whenever a thread was made to show they had no advantage. Pretty much any post with a hint of transphobia would cop a ban from what I saw. I guess I was wrong.

The mods handling of this situation is terrible.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Who are the mods involved in this?

RoyalIan, Morrigan, AliceAmber(?)

I think there's an admin too?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

So, you say you created a safe space chatroom for the LGBT+ mods. Yet, in this LGBT+ safespace chat room, someone said something acephobic. And that was let fly. Now, imagine if someone, a gay person, said they really don't get trans people and feel like they shouldn't be part of the LGB spectrum. And that flew by. Would that really be a safe space for LGBT+ people? Like, really? Think about that and then consider why the community is not very happy with your response.

I'll chime in and say that whatever has been flying around about this conversation is largely overstated or over-exaggerated. Granted, I heard it about it second hand, and I have not seen any evidence that the conversation existed or the exact details of said conversation beyond a second-hand account of it. There's a reason I intentionally left all reference to what you're referencing out of my main post.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared I'm going to go to sleep and this thread will be purged along with all the other ones. Stay strong friends

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
A timeline for those new:

• Months of inaction while trans threads remain the most hostile and least pleasant place for trans people on Era.
  • This is called out several times but is only dealt with in isolated single cases, like a post being edited out
  • Finally hits breaking point, culminating in an ace member of the forum making a post calling it out
  • Moderators offer support but refuse to stick the thread or address/acknowledge the issue
  • A staff post is made a week later that's generic, doesn't acknowledge the inaction and is 50% about the staff themselves.
  • That 50% is lamenting how the staff has been made to feel as a result of people expressing at the inaction
  • Ketkat and other trans members push back, saying the attitude is the very issue we're trying to highlight
  • Ketkat mentions in a minor part of the post that a staff member that is known to be acephobic
  • Ketkat is banned within minutes
  • Mods suddenly start replying, with more passion than had been shown to the thread in the week prior
  • It's implied that Ketkat gained illicit access and abused her girlfriend
  • Royalan then details in paragraphs the mod stance on the issue and comes to lock the thread
  • The thread that was made to highlight trans issues is locked by Royalan
  • The Trans Awareness Week becomes the home to share frustrations.
  • Ketkat's ban reason changes three times over this period.
  • Eventually a staff post is made, much in the same vein as the past one
  • It suggests that we should get back to talking about trans awareness
  • It details that Ketkat is permanently banned
  • Royalan once again comes in to detail why this is the way it is, and asks to be held accountable
  • It is then uncovered that Royalan has posted acephobic comments in the recent past
  • Robin (Ketkat's girlfriend) mentions that Royalan isn't even the person being referred to initially.

Quoting this so others can easily catch up.

I had no idea trans members were feeling this way, or that they experienced a sense of pervasive hostility towards them anywhere on the forum. I come here because I expect Era to be a place where marginalized people can feel safe and protected by a progressive mod team.

The same goes 100% for asexual members.

I can't offer an opinion on the banning, or anything going on behind the scenes. I just want to know that mods are taking the concerns of all marginalized members to heart, and that these issues are going to be addressed.

I'm so sorry that anyone is feeling alienated by this community, especially asexual and transgender members. You're incredibly valuable members of this forum, and not just because of the unique perspectives you bring to our discourse. Love and support to all of you.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
This situation wasn't even on my radar until people were posting threads in OT with summaries and then mods were locking them with no discussion. Keep doing what you are doing, people should be treated fairly, especially on this forum.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I get that there are legitimate concerns here but please let's not let people from other places on the internet take advantage of this chaos.

It's gonna be hard to tell who's arguing in good faith and who just wants to see the site go down

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just to clarify, though my edit is in there, I did in fact request for that lock to go through. I didn't want it competing with the other thread about this issue when that other thread and this one are made/maintained by actual members of the LGBTQ+ community who are rightfully more affected by this ongoing issue and can provide better insights and clarity.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This is wild. I was always under the impression that ERA was very pro trans going by what I witnessed when I lurked. Like how they would post that study on female trans athletes whenever a thread was made to show they had no advantage. Pretty much any post with a hint of transphobia would cop a ban from what I saw. I guess I was wrong.

They are supportive of trans people. And that's not the issue.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a discord anyone has, if it's alright I would not mind being invited
Like, *any* Discord?

Because I know a Discord with about 80 people that was created when a ton of people jumped ship from another forum that had it's own issues with moderation not being transparent or fair in their dealings with the community. It's not as active as the big several thousand person Discords out there to be sure, but the people there are very genuine and caring and a not insignificant percentage of our group is trans or non-binary.

As a more general response to this topic, I still need to read through everything that's going on but from what I've read so far this is all very disappointing and, again, partially reminds me of a huge mess that functionally destroyed the community on another forum I used to post on. It's not a nice thing to flash back to, to say the least. I can only hope that the moderators that are responsible for all this are ousted and that the rest of the staff will use this as an opportunity to increase transparency and speak with the community as equals instead of making the mistake of towing the line.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I know there are LGBT mods... and that we are being told that they had some say in some of these responses and actions… Either tell me their judgment is suspect, or they are worried about not towing a line

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Acephobia is bafflingly common in LGBT circles, I've started to notice. Very glad to see most posters here agree that it's a bad thing to exclude ace people from the LGBT community.

I will never understand why some people think subsections of their own (already externally vilified) community are beneath them. It is so utterly self-defeating, it drives me crazy.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Issues like this have always been handled terribly here. And I feel like it's only gotten worse despite years of saying they will do better.

There's a reason why certain communities don't feel welcome here anymore and their respective OTs only get a fraction of the traffic they used to get at the old place. Everyone's moved to Discord.