• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Right. But what I'm saying is, that amidst the calls to unban someone who clearly didn't deserve a ban at all while at the same time trolls and alt right accounts are getting 1 week bans in the other thread, rather than unban someone who was trying to draw attention to this issue in the same way we all are simply had their ban updated to a month as opposed to being unbanned.

(Also I appreciate you speaking in here. I know things are heated but I appreciate you and other mods taking the time out to keep us updated. You especially have gone above and beyond and I want to honestly thank you).
I understand, and I agree. I've had my own misgivings before that we're too lenient on people who have a noted history of trolling threads specific to minority issues and concerns, both before and after my promotion. I've argued with many of these gaslighters myself. We can stand to review how adept we are at sentencing repeat offenders who specifically target minority threads.

(You're very welcome. I'm just trying to do right by y'all in any way I can.)

Hey, Nepenthe, if you don't want us posting screencaps from Discord, maybe don't have mods posting replies to this shit in Discords, by the way?
I don't expect anyone to not be talking in Discord about this. Staff is talking. You are talking. To try and say we cannot talk in private is, frankly, ridiculous, because I'm not asking you to be quiet. I can't stop it anyway. I can only warn you not to jeopardize your own safety in the process because, while this is an ERA issue, I'd rather no LGBTQ+ folks suffer any undue harm because people are posting screenshots without the forethought that, again, alt-right folks are watching and participating. Be careful.

General update: Just got home. I'm starving. Will eat something then come back.

Administration will have an update as well, assuming that I'm not posting too late.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I agree, and in fact speaking from the angle where she were, it would make the mod silence very damning considering how much it sounds like many vulnerable forum members have told her things in confidence.

Let's all stop for a second and appreciate the disgusting irony that this place that is supposedly run by socially enlightened people is literally using the fucking Donald Trump playbook to blame and shame the whistleblower, instead of addressing the improper content that was revealed.

I'd say it's almost poetic but that might make me throw up in my mouth.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Can I jump in here and ask for recommendations for trans-related fiction? I've read a couple of memoirs about coming out but I'd like a relatable novel and my searches are coming up short

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
For the good of the community, we are commuting Ketkat's ban to time served. After speaking at length with Ketkat, we recognize that the breach of privacy was the crux of the problem and that it was a mistake to reference the personal relationship in the initial banner. We apologize for the unsavoury implications in the initial messaging, that was not the intention.

The timing and place of the ban sent a message to the community that was never intended in the least, and we sincerely apologize for that above all. We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together.

(Posted in the wrong thread before, my bad).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I don't expect anyone to not be talking in Discord about this. Staff is talking. You are talking. To try and say we cannot talk in private is, frankly, ridiculous, because I'm not asking you to be quiet. I can't stop it anyway. I can only warn you not to jeopardize your own safety in the process because, while this is an ERA issue, I'd rather no LGBTQ+ folks suffer any undue harm because people are posting screenshots without the forethought that, again, alt-right folks are watching and participating. Be careful.

Hidden content
You need to be in at least one of the following groups to see this content: Moderator
Welcome back!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I understand, and I agree. I've had my own misgivings before that we're too lenient on people who have a noted history of trolling threads specific to minority issues and concerns, both before and after my promotion. I've argued with many of these gaslighters myself. We can stand to review how adept we are at sentencing repeat offenders who specifically target minority threads.

(You're very welcome. I'm just trying to do right by y'all in any way I can.)

General update: Just got home. I'm starving. Will eat something then come back.

Administration will have an update as well, assuming that I'm not posting too late.

I think what people are referring to is the mod Windrunner speaking as a collective for the mod team in the Xboxera server in a channel designed for Era mods to speak in, rather than private conversations.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Ket and most* other wrongly-banned members have been reinstated? Great, now Step 2 is accomplished (first was abdication and apology from Royalan). What other needed reforms are coming down the pipeline, staff? We're eager to receive the good news.

*At last edit, Brock is still banned.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ScribbleD should be allowed back too. Since he started that thread that got locked and kind of set this whole thing into motion by forcing the mods to acknowledge the situation.
they tweeted a few days ago about not feeling too comfortable about coming back to Era on twitter

I think they mentioned that their ban lifts in a few days or so in a video, but hopefully they do come back and contribute more to Trans Era

but I can understand if they decide not to

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
For the good of the community, we are commuting Ketkat's ban to time served. After speaking at length with Ketkat, we recognize that the breach of privacy was the crux of the problem and that it was a mistake to reference the personal relationship in the initial banner. We apologize for the unsavoury implications in the initial messaging, that was not the intention.

The timing and place of the ban sent a message to the community that was never intended in the least, and we sincerely apologize for that above all. We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together.

I can confirm from my end that ResetEra staff reached out to the TransEra community several hours ago, and that the community is eager to have this dialogue with the ResetEra staff and identify the next steps forward everyone can take together.

Thanks to the ResetEra staff and to everyone else who was involved in helping this come to fruition. I'm pleased with the conversations so far, and I'm hopeful there will truly be positive steps that result from all of this.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. This is a good start. However...

Was KetKat's ban actually appropriate? Are you going to address the issue with the acephobic staff?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good decision and certainly a good way forward.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Brock needs to come back. They got heated, but so have many members in this thread and unless staff is secretly planning on banning everyone that got mad it feels a bit silly to still have Brock banned.

Ketkat unban + clarification on events

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there everyone, I'm here right now and I have a lot of things that I want to say about this whole situation. First of all, I want to thank all of you who sent me kind messages both within these threads and on discord as I really appreciate them! There are so many times where I look at the state of the society that we live in and question the impact that one person can have against the tide of bigotry and mental health stigma that exists, and comments like yours do a lot to alleviate those concerns!

As for the big accusation, there's a lot to say about this. First and foremost, I want to make it clear that I did not invade Robin (my girlfriend's) privacy to look through her private discords, messages, or anything else. I am not interested in being the kind of person that can not be trusted in the most basic ways, and it was shocking for me to see staff assume that I would do that so quickly. When I made that initial post talking about moderation and the issues that exist within it, I posted some information that was from a private staff discord. I knew it was from there, and I chose to post it publicly instead of going to them in private or attempting to find a real solution to it. I regret posting it in that manner as I never had any intention of starting any large scale drama about this incident, and I chose to keep the names private for the safety of the moderation team. However, I now see that I didn't put as much consideration into that as I should have to begin with. There are quite a few places that exist off-site purely to document and harass notable people on this forum, and that includes people on the moderation team as they tend to stand out more. I have dealt with harassment from these people as being a minority or part of a vulnerable group seems to make you a target for them, and this is doubly true for minority staff members. I was hurt and disappointed that people that I consider close friends believed that I was capable of this, but they're not bad people for thinking this. They're just scared. And I don't fault them for that.

The reasons that they provided in that initial thread detailed a history of suspicions that I was looking into their discord as well as that I knew some moderation terminology that was used behind the scenes. In the email that I sent, I referenced a very specific thing that is used however this specific term is one that is an open secret of sorts and I've seen it used in quite a few places. Throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them. It's hard to hear that there's evidence against you that you aren't allowed to see, but again keep in mind that at this point they're still concerned for their privacy and unsure if they can trust me. I don't blame them for wanting to avoid more of that, especially as they went looking for that conversation and did not feel the same way about it. I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding.

And I do want to reiterate here at the end, I left out the names on both of those issues in my post for a reason. I understand the desire for wanting to know who said what in these conversations, but the way that this desire has manifested is worrying. There are mistakes that have been made by the moderation team throughout this whole ordeal as I know all too well. But at the same time, we can not realistically expect the people who moderate this website to feel safe when people are digging through their personal lives looking for anything that can be used.

I regret posting that line the way that I did and I'm sorry for all the headache that this has caused both you as users and the staff throughout this ordeal.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Are you going to address the issue with the acephobic staff?
I think the second part of the post addresses that, at least from my reading of it.

And subsequent posts have noted they're still working on it, but with the TransEra community input this time which is how it should've been handled from the start.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank goodness.

I have plenty of misgivings about this entire thing, from moderation seemingly off balance in their pursuit of a safe community all the way to the bans and general silence, and I'm glad this part of it is over.

Thanks SweetNicole, Nepenthe, and Hecht for seeing it through. WElcome back, Ketkat !

I don't post in the trans era community or anything like that since I'm a weirdo loner, but I'm glad we can keep moving on. :)

Here's to a better Resetera. Thank you to all posters who helped bring this to fruition, too.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
they tweeted a few days ago about not feeling too comfortable about coming back to Era on twitter

I think they mentioned that their ban lifts in a few days or so in a video, but hopefully they do come back and contribute more to Trans Era

but I can understand if they decide not to

That would be a real shame. I know Ket's ban was the more explosive story that night but wanted to make sure they also got their due. I don't know that we would have gotten even that initial mod response without their efforts.

You're right, though, it would be understandable if they take a break.