• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm sorry I don't know what's going on? It is simply a philosophy topic. I didn't think there would be any harm in that. I can see how it's controversial. It would be like asking to debate abortion I suppose.
Trans Era has been going through a lot the past week or so, with important members of the Trans Community here getting banned (and occasionally unbanned).

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One problem that does need to be addressed that isn't strictly administration's fault is that, as per Ketkat's post, mods are quite influenced by the fact that there's communities dedicated to harassing Era and trying to tear us down. Honestly, this affects us all-- given what I've seen over the past few days, I'm skeptical that Era's trans members didn't have the same kind of spotlight pointed on them the whole time. And if they didn't before, thanks to this debacle, they certainly do now. Given my observations about certain posters in the past, mods being lax about transphobic posters has knock-on effects for all of ERA, because the CHUDs in question have all the impulse control of toddlers. People are wise enough to brand new accounts with all of four posts chiming in on sensitive topics, so even those individuals have an impetus to participate in the community, if only to build up enough cover to cause trouble. And wouldn't you know it, it just so happens that threads about trans people happen to always be full of people showing their asses 24/7. I'm going to suggest there's a correlation there. I'm going to suggest the alt-right dickheads that like to go after ERA like going after marginalized and vulnerable people most of all, and that protecting our most marginalized and vulnerable voices readily translates to making all of us safer. That includes the mods. That's more true now, after this, than it ever has been.

We certainly need to somehow figure out a way to STOP this from happening, too many people are showing up in trans-related threads on here derailing the threads with their shitposts and drive-bys.:

And wouldn't you know it, it just so happens that threads about trans people happen to always be full of people showing their asses 24/7.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One problem that does need to be addressed that isn't strictly administration's fault is that, as per Ketkat's post, mods are quite influenced by the fact that there's communities dedicated to harassing Era and trying to tear us down. Honestly, this affects us all-- given what I've seen over the past few days, I'm skeptical that Era's trans members didn't have the same kind of spotlight pointed on them the whole time. And if they didn't before, thanks to this debacle, they certainly do now. Given my observations about certain posters in the past, mods being lax about transphobic posters has knock-on effects for all of ERA, because the CHUDs in question have all the impulse control of toddlers. People are wise enough to brand new accounts with all of four posts chiming in on sensitive topics, so even those individuals have an impetus to participate in the community, if only to build up enough cover to cause trouble. And wouldn't you know it, it just so happens that threads about trans people happen to always be full of people showing their asses 24/7. I'm going to suggest there's a correlation there. I'm going to suggest the alt-right dickheads that like to go after ERA like going after marginalized and vulnerable people most of all, and that protecting our most marginalized and vulnerable voices readily translates to making all of us safer. That includes the mods. That's more true now, after this, than it ever has been.
Well said. The willingness to fight for the vulnerable goes a long way for our community.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a FAQ with the basic questions and answers attached to LGBTQA threads would go along way in clamping down on JAQ's, it would need to be heavily enforced tho

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back Ketkat!

Thank you, too, to anyone in the moderation and admin team who vouched for the returns of Ketkat and Papa

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I'm for banning "interested observers". They join a thread to post some bullshit then use ignorance as a fallback when confronted. No more of them please. And double the ban length if they start playing victim. If they "want to learn" they can do it on their own time without wasting everyone else's.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Yeah, I am not convinced of the moderation's understanding and willingness to fix what got us here in the first place.

It comes off more begrudgingly, to me.
This right here. They really didn't have a choice as it could've legitimately affected the site's future if Ket remained banned. I don't see the current level of transparency changing any time soon. Still don't know who Ket & Robin were referring to. Neither of them knew about the Royalan post. Whole thing feels off... "begrudgingly" unbanned is a perfect description.

Nov 1, 2017
Glad that you are back and am happy that your efforts will hopefully lead to better interactions on here for members of trans era as well as other marginalized communities. Always respected the work that you've put in helping other members and the patience you've shown trying to educate. This place was lesser with your absence.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Ketkat is back.

Anyways hoping this doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I run the Era NaNoWriMo thread and noticed OniLinkPlus took on a self requested ban. If anyone keeps in contact with them over a discord just let them know if they still want to update their word counts and participate in our Nano thread they can contact me through shenaniganry (over discord is probably best) and I'd be happy to update their word counts for them and give them a congratulations and fun win picture regardless of the ban. Thanks and well wishes.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
While I don't believe I've ever directly interacted with either of them, I am very happy that Papa and Ketkat were unbanned.
There are still a lot of issues that need to be addressed but this is a great start.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I'm glad Ketkat is back.

Anyways hoping this doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I run the Era NaNoWriMo thread and noticed OniLinkPlus took on a self requested ban. If anyone keeps in contact with them over a discord just let them know if they still want to update their word counts and participate in our Nano thread they can contact me through shenaniganry (over discord is probably best) and I'd be happy to update their word counts for them and give them a congratulations and fun win picture regardless of the ban. Thanks and well wishes.
Heyo oni says they can't participate due to a horrid group project that's taking up nearly all their time. They appriciate the offer though.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
A decent start to what ought to be a long process of discussion and implementation of ways to fix these cultural problems. Ty to the folks who have been shouting out my closed thread for ideas, it's good that folks are talking about the future of the site! We need to keep that up and keep the pressure on.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anything been said about Brock yet?
Isn't he banned for absoutely no reason now, lmao?

And I don't get how Royalan had to step down, get named and shamed and shunned from the community, when the person this was all about gets out of it completely anonymous with just a "I was misunderstood' -it seems especially suspicious that they didn't just communicate that in the first place to avoid this whole mess instead of banning ketkat and others to cover their tracks.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So, let me go through and answer the questions I posed earlier last night regarding this issue and see if we've progressed.

--
  • Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
"I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding."
  • If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
See above
  • What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
Given reason post unban is that user violated a staff safe space.
  • Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
User unbanned.
  • Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
Not answered, but clearly reversed due to public outcry.
  • How was the investigation conducted?
This is unknown. Per Robin, 30 minutes elapsed from the original post being published to the user being banned. Ket then states "throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them."

The investigation does not seem to have involved Ket up until very recently.
  • What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?
Also unknown. Moderation as alluded to certain terminology being used as evidence, but that doesn't seem to suffice.

NEXT STEPS:

"We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together. "

--

Additionally, the moderation team has not admitted any wrongdoing at all, only acknowledging that the timing of the post and the bannable offense aligned and made things look unpleasant, sending "the wrong message."
it's disappointing to see mods and staff do the same double speak we often criticize from big companies that don't want to acknowledge they did shit

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Seconded, and we can do even better:

I agree with both of these and I want to say that I'd want edit history that anyone can see on a post. If it get edited we wanted to know how many times and if it's staff let us know, because you guys have hidden edits and it's sorta crazy ya'll haven't brought that up.

Just one last thing to add, be more human when you guys talk to us. Please it makes things a lot easier to say and more human. The way you guys talk like ERA leaves a really bad taste in our mouth.

If I get banned it's NOT a self requested ban.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm part of the Mafia (the party game) community here on ERA; Ket would regularly play games with us and we're supporting her on this (many have posted here already).

In case you're ever interested in playing with us, or really just hanging out in our discord, a place where all are welcome, come on in (we barely talk about Mafia in the discord lol, it's just a place where us friends can be together and talk about whatever else):
[Hidden content]
just need somthin

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Server costs, IIRC, same with ads
You do know the site gets like 40K plus a month off ads alone right? Then clear is another giant bomb size subscription which goes towards nothing. So if GB can do all that with the subprice where is it going for us when do we see the improvements the money could bring? Anything lol.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome back Ket, hope Brock's ban is lifted but everyone is saying the one who might have started this wasn't even royal?

What the shit?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with both of these and I want to say that I'd want edit history that anyone can see on a post. If it get edited we wanted to know how many times and if it's staff let us know, because you guys have hidden edits and it's sorta crazy ya'll haven't brought that up.

Just one last thing to add, be more human when you guys talk to us. Please it makes things a lot easier to say and more human. The way you guys talk like ERA leaves a really bad taste in our mouth.

If I get banned it's NOT a self requested ban.
Edit history is a fantastic idea.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do know the site gets like 40K plus a month off ads alone right? Then clear is another giant bomb size subscription which goes towards nothing. So if GB can do all that with the subprice where is it going for us when do we see the improvements the money could bring? Anything lol.
receipts.gif

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks for the support, Nicole. I mean that sincerely.

And just in case anybody wants to know which post Nicole is referring to, here it is again!

unknown-3.png

Dang. Many of us desperately need allies in this world, and to have fellow allies throw away your very own lived experience is a gut punch and a betrayal. This world is cruel and we don't need to make it a competition about who it's been more cruel to. That undermines our unity and reduces this whole struggle to the illusory ability to quantify our suffering and compare it. We don't need to do that to each other. Our struggles, no matter how seemingly different from one another they appear to be, are still 100% valid. We have to be willing to set aside what we think we know about others and trust that we have to build our knowledge and understanding through listening and learning from one another. We know our own story best, trust that others know theirs. Keep learning. Keep connecting. Keep deepening your understanding.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The idea is that paying for Clear replaces the amount of money that Era would make off you viewing ads.
I'm not sure I believe that 40k number without receipts, but the amount of money from ads and Clear is assumedly more than server costs, you'd have to ask Cerium what he's doing with that money

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that paying for Clear replaces the amount of money that Era would make off you viewing ads.
I'm not sure I believe that 40k number without receipts, but the amount of money from ads and Clear is assumedly more than server costs, you'd have to ask Cerium what he's doing with that money
Couldn't you calculate it via estimated page views + pay info from the ad network?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to make one more post in here as trans week comes to a close.

To all the LGBTQ+ people on era.
C9xpkxZ.gif
❤️

Oct 25, 2017
I think there was a mod post at one point about how since his language was conspiratorial the ban is valid, but that was... at least last night, I think.
What about that post was a conspiracy though?

It even got to the point that an unrelated mod stepped down to cover for whoever banned KetKat

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Ketkat has been able to return, and I'm hoping that the dialogue the moderators have promised the LGBTG+ communities on the forum actually motivates the moderators to be better for everyone here. Here's hoping we see some communication and progress.