• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Wow

Trying as hard as they can to frame her as a villain huh
It's like they can't decide between letting this all blow over and being like "No, trans people, it's you who are wrong." Very disappointed with the admin. And in case someone would like to construe this as being off-topic, I'll just remind everyone: admins' horrible handling of this situation is doing actual harm to the trans and gnc community here and their ability to feel safe.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I gotta say, it leaves me uneasy to see mods coming in here and announcing their devotion to trans rights while simultaneously letting this stuff happen.

You can say "it's not in my control" and "there's more to it".... but is there? And control? You have control. You could grow a backbone and stand against this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I gotta say, it leaves me uneasy to see mods coming in here and announcing their devotion to trans rights while simultaneously letting this stuff happen.

You can say "it's not in my control" and "there's more to it".... but is there? And control? You have control. You could grow a backbone and stand against this shit.

It's not like the GAF mods peaced out after the shower incident. Oh wait, they did...

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that none of the admins want to talk to the community openly about this is just such bullshit. Ket makes a post saying that staff have made transphobic/aphobic comments while being allowed to remain part of the team even when the same comments would earn anyone else a ban on this site. The admins' response? Ban her for knowing this and then not comment on any of the accusations at all. And we're supposed to be cool with that decision and not want to have an open dialogue about it? Take it to PMs where we will be assured our voices are being heard and that they will run off to their discord chat to talk about it, before coming back with a very finely crafted staff post full of only the best corporate PR language that is meant to speak for all of them? No thanks, talk to us openly how about, this is some major bullshit from where we're sitting.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
If Ket did something that breached privacy, fine, but show your work. I'm afraid I don't take the word of volunteers chirping "use that report button!" very seriously.

Quite honestly, this is some Gaf-level rug sweeping. It's just painted pretty because some mods are trans.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Ket did something that breached privacy, fine, but show your work. I'm afraid I don't take the word of volunteers chirping "use that report button!" very seriously.

Quite honestly, this is some Gaf-level rug sweeping. It's just painted pretty because some mods are trans.
For real, these guidelines are the most insulting shit. They waste more words on how mods get their feelings hurt when you say that they don't care (which I caught a week ban for before it got overturned when the thread got swarmed by people going "wtf happened in here", due to me and another trans member getting banner and a transphobe getting nothing initially) than on actual policy concerning discussion.

"Claiming that our staff don't care, or attacking us for doing our jobs, is personally hurtful and makes us less likely to want to donate our time. In the interest of protecting the mental well-being of our volunteers, such posts will receive bans as steep as necessary until they stop. "

This is literally straight up "Beatings will continue until morale improves" type shit lmao. Clownshoes. Maybe such posts will stop when policy and action improves. Consistently.

Unban Ketkat.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
"Claiming that our staff don't care, or attacking us for doing our jobs, is personally hurtful and makes us less likely to want to donate our time. In the interest of protecting the mental well-being of our volunteers, such posts will receive bans as steep as necessary until they stop. "

This is literally straight up "Beatings will continue until morale improves" type shit lmao. Clownshoes. Maybe such posts will stop when policy and action improves. Consistently.

Unban Ketkat.

It's the diet version of saying "no one's forcing you to be here so we're gonna ban as necessary til y'all know your role".

And quite honestly - - you have a community of people here upset that they're being legitimately shit on, and we're supposed to feel guilty about the mods' feelings? What?

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Throwing my weight into this into support for ketkat I went to bed before all that stuff happened and saw i was mentioned and the thread locked . As someone who moderates a much much much smaller community via discord I can agree the situation was handled inappropriately and it sucks a thread about trans issues on era got canned because the admins engaged in the same behavior that started that thread and this one to begin with. I love era and all but this situation hurts and I feel shitty about loving era and feeling unwelcome at the same time so please just come out apologize or make a statement and be as transparent as you can. Please just either shorten the ban to like a week or let her out at this point.
It's trans awareness week .-.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Throwing my weight into this into support for ketkat I went to bed before all that stuff happened and saw i was mentioned and the thread locked . As someone who moderates a much much much smaller community via discord I can agree the situation was handled inappropriately and it sucks a thread about trans issues on era got canned because the admins engaged in the same behavior that started that thread and this one to begin with. I love era and all but this situation hurts and I feel shitty about loving era and feeling unwelcome at the same time so please just come out apologize or make a statement and be as transparent as you can. Please just either shorten the ban to like a week or let her out at this point.
It's trans awareness week .-.

Likewise, I run a wee bitty server on Discord, and no one can sort out this fuckery.

Era has quickly become a "fall in line" mentality dressed up to look progressive, but anyone can put lipstick on a pig. They have the audacity to ban her in a thread about trans people being trampled, then slap up the awareness week thread. Nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've founded a forum from 100 members the first day to 25,000+ a couple of years later. I interacted with the community daily on the IRC server. Updated them with thousand-word long posts passionately. I loved it and yes, the drama took a mental toll. The drama sucked. That drama was about people creating malicious software that we had to test for keyloggers and worse though. Not the trans portion of your community being upset that they have had to put up with months of threads about them and their issues being the most hostile and least pleasant places for them on the forum.

Unban Ketkat.

I feel like I should say that I apologize for how that thread ended up.
It isn't on you and it's absolutely appaling that you end up feeling guilty for being the person to call out the issues on behalf of the trans community.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, you had nothing to do with how things ended up. I'm glad you made the thread, it was something that needed to be said.

Also, don't really have anything to add to what others have already said but I'm fully behind that KetKat should be unbanned.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
m8V7Ry4.jpg

8xKuNku.png
Thanks so much fanto <3

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah no.

I predicted that thread would go to shit but not because of you, or that it was a bad thread. I just know era and know we are the last in line of minority groups that even lots of so called progressives and leftists still think it's okay to shit on.

If I have to comment on it I revert back to what I said in that thread before the shit show when someone asked me why so avoid trans threads here in general, right thread, wrong forum. Era is nowhere near progressive as it thinks. Not just on this. Two other issues I care about though maybe not as much are prison/law enforcement reform and drug decriminalization/legalization, and oh yeah any thread about the homeless (which I have been twice) and watch just how conservative era really gets pretty fucking quick.

But yeah your all good.

Edit: and it's not just us. Just look at a African American issue thread. And even with black mods those threads turn into a shitshow with a lot of whitesplaining, just look at the recent Monique thread.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Not trying to derail the thread, but I will say this. We're definitely not "waiting for it to blow over". There is only so much we can say at this time for privacy reasons, but we, as a staff, have not brushed all of this aside.

I'll speak for myself here, not as a mod. I hear you and I am sorry for all the unease I, myself, may have caused the community. I am 100% supportive of the trans fight and ensuring that all trans folk are treated with the respect and dignity that all humans, regardless of sexual or gender orientation, should be given without question.

I know this may seem shallow in light of recent events and I get that. I'm not asking for your forgiveness if I have hurt you, and I understand it will take quite a long time to rebuild trust and respect. I just wanted you to all to know that I am listening and trying every day to become better.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Not trying to derail the thread, but I will say this. We're definitely not "waiting for it to blow over". There is only so much we can say at this time for privacy reasons, but we, as a staff, have not brushed all of this aside.

I'll speak for myself here, not as a mod. I hear you and I am sorry for all the unease I, myself, may have caused the community. I am 100% supportive of the trans fight and ensuring that all trans folk are treated with the respect and dignity that all humans, regardless of sexual or gender orientation, should be given without question.

I know this may seem shallow in light of recent events and I get that. I'm not asking for your forgiveness if I have hurt you, and I understand it will take quite a long time to rebuild trust and respect. I just wanted you to all to know that I am listening and trying every day to become better.

So how does it work when a mod is backing a minority group 100%? Because it sure feels like that support makes a full stop when the bans drop. Recycled platitudes are getting a bit hard to believe.

edit: I'd like to clarify that this isn't just directed at Bae. There's certainly more staff who take a stand for their members only so far until the "I'm powerless!" stuff comes about.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not take out frustrations on individual mods; none of them can affect the current situation.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
So how does it work when a mod is backing a minority group 100%? Because it sure feels like that support makes a full stop when the bans drop. Recycled platitudes are getting a bit hard to believe.

edit: I'd like to clarify that this isn't just directed at Bae. There's certainly more staff who take a stand for their members only so far until the "I'm powerless!" stuff comes about.

I hear your frustration. I didn't come in here looking to stir shit up or infuriate anyone more than they already are.

What I posted came from me, as a member here, not as a mod. I'm not trying to make this political, I am only trying to show my support.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you happen to be interested in my thoughts on that subject, it's in the spoiler tag, but I don't want to cause a derail.

I at least think it's relevant to the discussion (especially for cis lurkers in the thread). In these contexts where the non-existence of trans people is assumed a priori, it's impossible to get evidence to the contrary. All this time and we're still trying to account for all the loss of research caused by the Nazi's destruction of research on gender and sexuality, and there's zero question that the replication of fascism in the modern era is tied to this fact. Transphobia is one of the biggest, most obvious tells for fascist grifters who want to appear "respectable". This shit is painfully relevant.

Unban Ketkat.

I've had minor quibbles with the way in which the moderation staff have done things here and there -- and I certainly don't want to lay this at the feet of the mods here in this thread; I believe they don't have the power to change it, and have been pretty consistently positive forces on the forum in general.

I do, however, get pretty unsettled by the explanation, since it's not very distinguishable from "do not call us out on our transphobia, or else we won't help you" in this context, the stereotypical hostile allyship that people shouldn't tolerate.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I hear your frustration. I didn't come in here looking to stir shit up or infuriate anyone more than they already are.

What I posted came from me, as a member here, not as a mod. I'm not trying to make this political, I am only trying to show my support.

I know, Bae, and I know it's hard to please both sides. I've been there. The frustrating part is watching allies continue to support a place that evidently doesn't see an issue here :/ There's no trust.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I know, Bae, and I know it's hard to please both sides. I've been there. The frustrating part is watching allies continue to support a place that evidently doesn't see an issue here :/ There's no trust.

I understand that it will take time, if it ever happens at all. I'm LGBT myself and I know what it feels like to feel undermined. I get it.

I will step back and let y'all have the thread without my hovering presence, lol. But I just wanted to make my feelings clear.

<3

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I understand that it will take time, if it ever happens at all. I'm LGBT myself and I know what it feels like to feel undermined. I get it.

I will step back and let y'all have the thread without my hovering presence, lol. But I just wanted to make my feelings clear.

<3

It hurts to see another LGBTQ* person giving the rest of us the "it might get better". But I mean, what can I do.

Merci bien.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
It's not like the GAF mods peaced out after the shower incident. Oh wait, they did...
What was the shower incident?
Can someone point me to the origins of this KetKat ban? I'm looking to get caught up on this.
www.resetera.com

We need to talk about responding to Trans related issues

"JAQ" is short for "Just Asking Questions". It refers to when alt right types ask a series of simple questions easily answered by Google in order to frustrate and derail the conversation. When they get called out for it, they usually respond with "these dumb liberals/lefties are getting so mad...

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone point me to the origins of this KetKat ban? I'm looking to get caught up on this.
Deffers covered it pretty well in this post:

Not off-topic at all. KetKat got banned for a post a lot of trans posters on era disagree is banworthy, and the reasons given for that ban turned out to be not as accurate as possible. Mods have turned up to describe solidarity and how they want to help, but ultimately they can't unban Ketkat. And the administrators have been silent as the grave on this one since, which is aggravating for obvious reasons. At least one trans member outright requested a ban and several outright stated they don't feel safe discussing trans issues here any more, so it's become something of a rallying point for the trans community here on ERA, especially since Ketkat is a pillar of the community in many respects.

EDIT: Hey, would you look at that, they changed the ban reason. Cute.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
  • I'm thankful to moderators for their vocal support, especially in acknolwedgement of recent issues around trans discussions.
  • I think the treatment of Ketkat is abhorrent. Especially considering her commitment and support to the mental health and trans communities here.
These issues are intertwined and it makes it difficult to comment on the former without it feeling like you're compromising the latter.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of focusing on mods (for whom this situation is beyond their control) all of us in marginalized groups should be asking questions about the makeup of the admin staff/mod captains, the ones who actually make the final decisions. Of the seven listed, six are male. I don't know any of them but there's probably some concerning optics regarding diversity of sexual orientation and gender identity among them too. There is likely a lack of diversity among the top administration and that's where the problems are stemming from.

Nov 23, 2017
Wow, now I feel less safe here. That's not something I expected on trans awareness week but I'm not surprised. Thanks for catching me up folks.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Not trying to derail the thread, but I will say this. We're definitely not "waiting for it to blow over".

This isn't directed specifically at you because, as other people have said, there's only so much an individual moderator can do and this isn't on you, but:

It's been five days with no resolution. I don't understand, on a logistical level, how this can take five days to sort out. Maybe the discussion about moderator policy going forward, sure, but five days just to come to a conclusion on whether someone should be banned at all and, if so, for how long? That strikes me as odd, at the very least, suspicious in practice, and horribly unfair to Ketkat and all the people who have come to see her as an important resource and advocate on this forum.

I'm not sure how long the admins here expect people to just sit and wait before things go from worse to worst.