• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Brock is still banned though. It would be great if the mods actually looked into that. Even if the reasoning was just (which I don't think), getting perma'd for an "offense" that small is just fucked up. Especially considering that people who posted transphobic crap even recently have only been catching one-week bans.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
In light of the violation of their privacy, many expressed that they would not feel comfortable or safe volunteering here if such intrusions were tolerated. For this reason, the ban has been made permanent. This decision was not and could not have been made without careful consideration and large consensus.
so....what happened? they feel comfortable or safe now? or ya ready to admit the ban was bs in the first place?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
so....what happened? they feel comfortable or safe now? or ya ready to admit the ban was bs in the first place?

Yeah. I'm glad Ket is back, but what's going here? I took this at face value as I had no reason to believe the staff would exaggerate or lie, but what gives?

Is there a privacy issue we need to be concerned about? Was there ever a privacy concern? Some transparency about what actually happened would be great.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, let me go through and answer the questions I posed earlier last night regarding this issue and see if we've progressed.

--
  • Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
"I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding."
  • If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
See above
  • What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
Given reason post unban is that user violated a staff safe space.
  • Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
User unbanned.
  • Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
Not answered, but clearly reversed due to public outcry.
  • How was the investigation conducted?
This is unknown. Per Robin, 30 minutes elapsed from the original post being published to the user being banned. Ket then states "throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them."

The investigation does not seem to have involved Ket up until very recently.
  • What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?
Also unknown. Moderation as alluded to certain terminology being used as evidence, but that doesn't seem to suffice.

NEXT STEPS:

"We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together. "

--

Additionally, the moderation team has not admitted any wrongdoing at all, only acknowledging that the timing of the post and the bannable offense aligned and made things look unpleasant, sending "the wrong message."
Will there be any answers to this?

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm glad Ket is back, but what's going here? I took this at face value as I had no reason to believe the staff would exaggerate or lie, but what gives?

Is there a privacy issue we need to be concerned about? Was there ever a privacy concern? Some transparency about what actually happened would be great.
From what I've read, my guess is there was a lot of fear after that discord was referenced, probably a lot of thoughts that they had been infiltrated. With the context of the death threats and other shit they receive on the regular, that kinda leads to some paranoid speculation on how that discord was referenced. And that lead them to probably honestly believing that Ket had been lurking their discords for some time, which meant some form of hack or social hack.

Or that's my guess how things went.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In addition to the staff message posted by Hecht yesterday, I wanted to apologize again for the hurt that recent events have caused our trans community. I know that explanations and excuses always matter less than actions, so I'd like to start by making it clear that we have renewed determination to promote diversity on the staff and restore confidence in the team.

As of today we have appointed two new women Administrators and Mod Captains, Pirate Bae and Sophia -- both are LGBT and the latter is trans. These are amazing individuals who have been on track for promotion for a while, and their voices will now be stronger than ever. We have already committed to direct dialogue with the trans community and are looking forward to those conversations. We will also conduct a review of our policies and procedures to see in which areas they might be falling short and how they can better serve the community.

It's not an end but a beginning, and as always we are working every day to try to build a better site.

Thank you.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
In addition to the staff message posted by Hecht yesterday, I wanted to apologize again for the hurt that recent events have caused our trans community. I know that explanations and excuses always matter less than actions, so I'd like to start by making it clear that we have renewed determination to promote diversity on the staff and restore confidence in the team.

As of today we have appointed two new women Administrators and Mod Captains, @Pirate Bae and @Sophia -- both are LGBT and the latter is trans. These are amazing individuals who have been on track for promotion for a while, and their voices will now be stronger than ever. We have already committed to direct dialogue with the trans community and are looking forward to those conversations. We will also conduct a review of our policies and procedures to see in which areas they might be falling short and how they can better serve the community.

It's not an end but a beginning, and as always we are working every day to try to build a better site.

Thank you.
This is a decent start. A bit delayed, but here is better than not at all. Keep it up.

Any word on a final ruling for Brock?

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
These are great steps by the staff, and I really appreciate them. There's still work to be done, but I'm happy that things have started out on a good note.

And yes, Brock should also be unbanned. He's in a Discord that I'm in, and I know that he sincerely was trying to stick up for us.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see action is being taken on adding more diverse admins to the staff, I'm happy to see there is a trans admin Sophia and nobody is more deserving and qualified than Pirate Bae

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

As of today we have appointed two new women Administrators and Mod Captains, Pirate Bae and Sophia -- both are LGBT and the latter is trans. These are amazing individuals who have been on track for promotion for a while, and their voices will now be stronger than ever. We have already committed to direct dialogue with the trans community and are looking forward to those conversations. We will also conduct a review of our policies and procedures to see in which areas they might be falling short and how they can better serve the community.

Thank you.
Congrats Sophia and Pirate Bae!

I've known Sophia long enough to know she's an amazing person and a great decision for admin.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sophia and Pirate Bae are both great and I'm super glad to see their voices gain more influence here. Well deserved promotions for sure, congrats to both.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a decent start. A bit delayed, but here is better than not at all. Keep it up.

Any word on a final ruling for Brock?
Agreed. We still have a member out there banned for "conspiracy theories" which look a whole hell of a lot less conspiracy now.

This is absolutely disgusting behavior by the staff involved.

I'd also like to point that one of our SmashEra community members, Brock Reiher, was perma-banned for calling out the staff in the thread that Ket was also banned. (probably by the acephobic mods)

AtDi89m.png

It rings all the more true now after these revelations.

I am getting to the point where I feel like we need a thread just dedicated to Brock.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you.

Great decisions! We can still do more, but this gives me hope in the site :]

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Pirate Bae might've been the quickest mod to admin I've ever seen. Awesome news!
I haven't paid too much attention to the staff roster, but is that so?

I hope she has a long tenure, then. This whole scenario has reminded me of a huge mess that went down on another forum as I've mentioned before, and one of the straws that broke the camel's back on that forum was that a very new admin that everyone loved but had earned the jealousy of another admin was abruptly removed from her position for reasons that the staff adamantly refused to clarify on. Considering everything that's been discussed over the past few days, I'd feel horrible if the same thing happened here and can only hope that ResetERA's staff doesn't make even more mistakes than they already have.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Is there any way to check the roster of mods and admins?
www.resetera.com

Active Staff Roster

This list will be updated over time! Administrators aerie AliceAmber (Mod Captain) B-Dubs (General Manager) ColdSun Delphine ghostcrew Hecht JayC3 (Mod Captain) Nepenthe (Mod Captain) Poodlestrike (Mod Captain) Transistor (Mod Captain) System Administrators DownUnderCoder Moderators...