• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Did you even read the OP? That wasn't really the point he was making, it was that nintendo's online service is factually worse than it was on WiiU
He is also comparing a superior free service to an inferior paid service. And I don't think I will ever be ok with pain online. Now I do it, I pay for online on the PS4 and Switch, but it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I should get out of the way because people want to focus more on the failing of the Nintendo online service in this thread.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Virtual console is also worse. Wasted on their online subscription.

And the store is awful, it takes forever to buy multiple things and discovery is a joke.

I really expected a better UI (folders) and Gamecube/N64 VC.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Eh, it's definitely not worse, it's just easier to notice how empty it is 'cause you have to pay for it. Messaging through Miiverse was so slow that it was pointless and no one did it, and friend codes are just one of several ways to add friends. Plus, they're just like phone numbers.

Now, I'm not saying the service is great by any means, but it's really not worse than it was. That Wifi chip, though; that thing sucks.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Not the actual multiplayer component (co-op), but just sharing stages. When the online service started games like Odyssey didn't require the subscription for their content sharing features (balloon world in Odyssey, several third party games like Dynasty Warriors Empires' custom scenarios/characters), but then Smash Bros and Mario Maker 2 require the subscription not only for the actual multiplayer but also content sharing.
Ah, ok. Yeah, I can't really fault folks for directly correlating the two when stuff like this increasingly gets locked behing the paywall. There certainly is a causal consequence from in-game online functions to NSO as a whole as it all ties together obviously. Still, I'd stand by my original sentiment that that's more on the game's online functionality design rather than NSO in itself. Developers could design these functionalities in another way and NSO's quality still wouldn't change a bit. That's why I see these two aspects as separate from one another when it comes to criticizing them. (Though, as initially stressed, I see why there's a correlation.) Criticizing in-game online stuff doesn't automatically equal criticizing NSO, but I can see why you'd criticize the latter more harshly if you're going to have to put up with it because it's needed due to the former mandating it.
(Lol, I hope my point comes across in spite of my not so well thought and written out post, hah! ;D I guess what I'm saying is: I kinda agree with you to a certain extent, but still would like folks to differentiate more when criticizing one or the other. That's my TLDR.)

Oct 26, 2017
Friend codes on Switch aren't as bad as they used to be, only one is required rather than both players needing to exchange them.

But you're totally missing that the paid online service on Switch includes games. Tetris 99, NES and SNES.
I think it's fair to criticize the service and the games are part of the problem in my opinion. They have very little to do with what you'd expect from an online subscription and don't make up for features you would expect to get which are either missing or not fully implemented.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I view it basically as a sub or NES Online, SNES Online and Tetris 99. I do miss Miiverse though.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean have you seen the Switch's storefront online? Its laughable... my 8 year old son could do a better job.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
It's very disappointing because it could and should be so much better. I don't utilize online play too much due to my taste in games, but I still think it's ridiculous that it isn't more modern. It's borderline unacceptable.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I'm not a Nintendo hater but to me the question is not is it that bad, but how is it that bad? Why is Nintendo so far behind here and have been for so long? They have two consoles who compared to them do a massively better job. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Unless they are simply arrogant and think "we've never been good here and lately we're selling hot so who cares?"

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just want the ability to send a message to someone on my friend's list.

"Hey, want to play some Mario Tennis / Smash / Fortnite / etc"

They implemented game invites on the system level recently (that games have to add, so a lot of older games don't have this) yet no way to actually contact someone for said invite so unless you know them in real life or set up through something like Discord then it's pointless. It's a joke.

The netcode for a lot of games is just ass, too. Some are fine (Mario Tennis, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8) while others are laughable (Smash, Mario Maker 2 VS). I guess the Switch being portable is a big part of the problem as this means a ton of people are using shitty wi-fi and most don't bother to buy a separate accessory to get a wired connection.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm not a Nintendo hater but to me the question is not is it that bad, but how is it that bad? Why is Nintendo so far behind here and have been for so long? They have two consoles who compared to them do a massively better job. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Unless they are simply arrogant and think "we've never been good here and lately we're selling hot so who cares?"

The lack of these things that other platforms have by default and have had them for north of a decade is a deliberate choice by Nintendo. Its not lack of resources, or ability or anything like that. They're simply choosing not to do it. This is the same company that sold a network adapter for an attachment for the gamecube and then chose not to do anything with it. Instead of letting you play zelda 4 swords with the online device they sold on gamecube, they demanded you get 4 GBA's and 3 friends instead to play it as it was intended.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
I love how people are defending friend codes as a feasible method of adding someone.

Yeah it isn't a hassle to add someone, but it's also a lot easier and more personal to add someones username

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda depressing to think that not only was Wii U's free online superior, but we may not see any improvements even with the Switch 2 if they keep it in the same ecosystem. And why should I believe they'll add new necessary features if they haven't added anything since launch? At this point I only hope they add ratings and sort by rating on the current eShop.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It's kinda depressing to think that not only was Wii U's free online superior, but we may not see any improvements even with the Switch 2 if they keep it in the same ecosystem. And why should I believe they'll add new necessary features if they haven't added anything since launch? At this point I only hope they add ratings and sort by rating on the current eShop.
Well it's Nintendo so they'll scrap the current ecosystem and reinvent something worse. I don't know how but they'll find a way.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I like how people justified it by saying that we get snes and nes games not holy shit I never wanted those, it's a shit paywall.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's ridiculous that they brought back friend codes and you don't even get an online ID (online ID is your profile name).

The phone app is also ridiculous.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine when they have a system with a different name. They'll start right back over since this is called Nintendo Switch Online

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any of them were good anyway.

The Wii U's friend request system was not great, as you had to load up an app and check it often to not miss friend requests that could expire. At least you could communicate with people when trying to team up. I don't think I ever played much MP on it outside of some Splatoon and a little of MK8.

3DS being a handheld meant that not many games had online multiplayer and even then, many of the games were barren in terms of audience. Friend requests were a bit better there, but that seemed to be useful more for that note app than anything else. I think I play zero multiplayer games on 3DS.

Switch at least has tons of people and the more popular games like Rocket League and Splatoon 2 have plenty of people, though without anyway to communicate with friends, it's a bad system that requires you to go elsewhere to set up games. Friend requests are at least a bit easier if you've added them on 3DS, Wii U, or their phone games, but otherwise the codes are not a great solution compared to the other consoles and PC storefronts. Paying for less features than prior systems and other charging platforms is the big issue, but their lack of new features to the dashboard overall since launch suggests nothing will change anytime soon. I guess the NES/SNES is an all right way to make up for the shortcomings, but that still doesn't make up for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, OP, those things don't directly correlate with the paid nature of the service like your title suggests.
On the other hand: the paid aspect of NSO brought positive aspects like the Vouchers (sorry, American folks, that NoA fucked this up for you) or cloud based saves, both of which WiiU and 3DS didn't offer.

I still tend to agree with you on how Nintendo's general Online functionality hasn't advanced in the grand scheme, but it's not like it's only gotten worse. They're stagnating, imo, and stagnation can also be perceived as a step back, so I kinda get where you're coming from overall.
Cloud based saves for a selection of their first party titles... and arbitrary restrictions on their most popular titles for no real reason.

Discussions all around probably would be far more nuanced than they are most of the time if both camps were to argue in a more differentiated manner.
It doesn't help when those criticizing not even bother to differentiate between paid NSO services (vouchers, cloud saves, online multiplayer) and OS level online functionality (friend invites, communication, social media integration) or even in-game online services (multiplayer functionality like within SMM2 et al), which themselves don't directly correlate with the paid online services.

Though I guess, forgive me this snarky addition, that it's easier for most to just log in to the forum and start rambling about what annoyed them. And that's when we get threads that look like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paid services: the ability to play games online (like the lag in smash brothers), Lack luster S/NES rom selection being dripfed to you, cloud save data back up for a select few games
OS level functionality: the inability to have save data backups stored locally on the system. lackluster social media integration, lack of a web browser, lack of real defined communication tools.
In-Game Online services: most of these rely on the Paid service to even function, ala Pokemon and Smash, and AC(likely)

and lets not forget lackluster app support from the 'Official NS app' and the fraud that is Pokemon Home.

so to say people dont differentiate is being disingenuous.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Nintendo's always been a decade behind everyone else when it comes to the uptake of industry standard features.

It honestly feels like they're in their own little world which comes with positives and negatives.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I'm definitely frustrated by the lack of messaging and just how draconian and frustrating it can be to play with friends since there's no universal lobbies and ever game has their own oblique, often unintuitive system. Also, it's absurd that the SNES controllers are still out of stock.

That said, I share a family plan with some friends and pay like 7.50/year, and have 70+ hours on Tetris 99 and 25+ on the NES games, so I don't exactly feel as if I've been ripped off.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I don't usually play online but the free games as an argument in its favor has always annoyed me, because the whole point of Nintendo Switch Online is playing Nintendo Switch games Online, and the online functionality hasn't been very good. The games are a bonus, but it doesn't mean the main purpose of the service is not a bad product.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I don't usually play online but the free games as an argument in its favor has always annoyed me, because the whole point of Nintendo Switch Online is playing Nintendo Switch games Online, and the online functionality hasn't been very good. The games are a bonus, but it doesn't mean the main purpose of the service is not a bad product.
Lol what? The games are a core part of the service, not a "bonus". So if that draws people to the service, it's ok too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I like how people justified it by saying that we get snes and nes games not holy shit I never wanted those, it's a shit paywall.
Different people have different priorities. I used to spend tons on Virtual Console so this is a big savings personally. I also don't play online much (and never touch the phone app) but I do get good use out of cloud saves. Plus it's only $20 for that shit paywall, just be glad it's not $60 like every other console.

May 21, 2018
The Switch's online service is... definitely "lacking" in terms of overall performance and stability. It's quite unfortunate. 😞

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Different people have different priorities. I used to spend tons on Virtual Console so this is a big savings personally. I also don't play online much (and never touch the phone app) but I do get good use out of cloud saves. Plus it's only $20 for that shit paywall, just be glad it's not $60 like every other console.
It's not a matter of priorities, I'm paying for games that I don't care for, the online experience in games like a splatoon 2 and smash is years behind and they expect me to pay for that, so no there is nothing to be glad for.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke, though not as big of a joke as their party chat work around. I never used the Wii U much for online either but the mii verse was charming and ever present reminder that their network had some value/utility. I've no interest in the Switch paid services.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
People are obsessing over the friend codes thing but the real problem I see is how shit it is in trying to make games with people. Just try hooking up with friends in Splatoon (I haven't played that game in a while now because online was so shit)

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That no first party game even uses :(

I think 1 one 3rd party game does? Fucking sucks
Yeah. Nintendo is pretty bad at updating older games with newer functionality. I think we will start seeing it used on games released this year.

That's why I find weird that some people think that if a Switch Pro happens Nintendo is going to release patches to take advantage of the added power. That's not how that company works.

Oct 25, 2017
I recall Nintendo spokespeople (or maybe Furukawa himself) saying that they weren't entirely pleased with their online sub numbers, but also IIRC, they've got 15M subs worldwide. Has anyone at Nintendo made a recent comment about their online services and how pleased they are with their amount of subs?

I think it's a bad service even at twenty dollars, so I don't sub. I have just decided that if I lose my 90+ hour Super Mario Odyssey save, that gives me a reason to play through it again, and if I lose my 200 hour Breath of the Wild save, well, I'm probably never touching that game again, and if I lose my 100+ hour PBA Pro Bowling sub, I'll be super-pissed, but okay, I can deal.

What bums me out is that they won't sell me old Nintendo games via the eShop on the console. I can't know this for sure, but if the reason for that is largely so they can put NES and SNES games on a slow-drip release for the online service, that sucks.

I get that it's not totally that; it's also so that they can sell a full remake of some of those games at sixty dollars (which honestly is fine with me to a large degree - the Link's Awakening remake was my favorite game of last year). Still, though, there are some games that probably aren't in the pipe for remake that I'd love to pay five to ten dollars for.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I still don't know why I paid 20$ for this shit when it doesn't give me cloud save for game I got it for.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's the only service I pay now (I need the backups and some games like Splatoon and Mario Kart play good enough online), but sadly Smash works really bad and this is the only game I'd play online often. I remember Xbox Live Gold back in the 360 days to be a better service overall, Nintendo simply doesn't put any effort in the online services.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a matter of priorities, I'm paying for games that I don't care for, the online experience in games like a splatoon 2 and smash is years behind and they expect me to pay for that, so no there is nothing to be glad for.
Retrogames are a priority for me. Sorry they're not for you but yes, that is a matter of priorities. It's THE selling point for the service for me.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It is a matter of priority for me. I enjoy the selection of NES and SNES games, while I don't care for online multiplayer at all.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Nintendo is pretty bad at updating older games with newer functionality. I think we will start seeing it used on games released this year.

That's why I find weird that some people think that if a Switch Pro happens Nintendo is going to release patches to take advantage of the added power. That's not how that company works.

Yeah I agree as the missing features have nothing to do with lack of power of the current Switch model. I always have to laugh when people claim the Switch doesn't have voice chat because it's lacking memory. Like the OG Xbox had voice chat with 64 MB of memory.
Nintendo simply doesn't care for whatever reason.