• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
The ability to contact friends online was possible with Miiverse on older Nintendo consoles, but nothing similar is possible with the Switch.

Like seriously. Just last week I was Switch and saw my friend online on it and I just wanted to message him and say Hi to him through Switch.... yeah.. NOT POSSIBLE.

Like seriously man. It is 2020.... how Nintendo gets away with these things is beyond me.

It really is the worst online infrastructure ever.

Even DreamCast Online and PS2 Network Adapter Online was STREETS AHEAD... when compared to what we have with Nintendo Switch. SMH

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has pretty much always been behind when it comes to their Online stuff since handling it themselves.

They really just need a 3rd Party to get in there and just streamline everything for them.
They did and that's why we have an app, frankly I don't get why anyone defends the switch online. It's a joke

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The actual online related features are dog shit. Literally just add party chat and game invites and I would be set

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I miss the Wii U days. It was such a good device with the Switch I constantly feel nickled and dime. :/

Playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Switch was everything I wanted from online play. That time was an absolute blast, I miss it.

I'm more inclined to say I miss the 3ds days, because the Wii U went through some horrible droughts that time has allowed us to mostly forget about, and instead enjoy its now mature library for what it is. 3ds, after a rough start, grew into a robust platform with a solid selection of first and third party titles, virtual console and free online, but without the dripfed content the Wii U endured.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more inclined to say I miss the 3ds days, because the Wii U went through some horrible droughts that time has allowed us to mostly forget about, and instead enjoy its now mature library for what it is. 3ds, after a rough start, grew into a robust platform with a solid selection of first and third party titles, virtual console and free online, but without the dripfed content the Wii U endured.
I was speaking more from a online play perspective of the Wii U compared to the Switch.

The 3DS was phenomenal after all the support it got. It still mind boggles me that you can play every generation of Pokemon on just the 3DS.

(Then again across both the 3DS and Wii U you can play every single Zelda game, ignoring the CD games of course).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I was speaking more from a online play perspective of the Wii U compared to the Switch.

The 3DS was phenomenal after all the support it got. It still mind boggles me that you can play every generation of Pokemon on just the 3DS.

(Then again across both the 3DS and Wii U you can play every single Zelda game, ignoring the CD games of course).

I do agree with your premise, I was just saying that the 3ds evolved to be the last bastion so to speak without the Wii U's shortcomings. It's funny that for all the ways Nintendo likes to go against the grain, they were more than happy to get in on the online paywall model except with an infrastructure that functionally is behind Xbox live from 15 years ago. It's just weird that the Switch as a paid online platform somehow seems.....devolved from their free offerings on older, less capable consoles.

Last edited: