Should it be the norm for kids to choose their own name when they reach a certain age?

• Yes

Votes: 194 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,201 86.1%

• Total voters

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it weird that the name you are saddled with for your whole life is chosen by someone else? Of course I know it's possible to legally change your name, but few people actually do this.

Should it be the norm for your parents to give you a temporary name for when you are a baby and toddler, then when you hit the age of say, 8 (or somewhere around there). Kids can look through a list of names and choose what they'd like to be called permanently? It seems like it should be the cultural norm for people to have autonomy over this aspect of their lives.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird picking your own name, it's like giving yourself a trophy you made yourself.

Also since I work at a school district I've seen kids who were able to pick their own name.... ya I'm not sure we should give them that much power.

Ultimately, it's their life so whatever.. but it's weird imo.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if I had an 8 year old with the willpower and attention span to actually want to change their name then sure but most kids that age would forget about it within the hour. Or they'd want it to be something different every other day

I think being able to change it at 18 is fine for 99.9% of kids

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Probably, but it won't happen. I'm thankful my parents let me choose the spelling of the shortened version of my name before I entered school; people still fucking spell it wrong but I had my reasons and I'm thankful since I mainly go by that name.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If the temporary name idea did take off, I don't think I'd trust an 8 year old's judgement. I'd say raise the age limit in this scenario to maybe 15-16 or so.

That said, having autonomy is important. I was raised Catholic and now that I'm an adult I wish I was given the choice back then. With names, thought, I never thought about it. My wife and I spent a while thinking of a name we thought was good, and my son actually has two names (English and Japanese), so at least he can choose whichever one he wants to use.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I find it weird picking your own name, it's like giving yourself a trophy you made yourself.

Also since I work at a school district I've seen kids who were able to pick their own name.... ya I'm not sure we should give them that much power.

Ultimately, it's their life so whatever.. but it's weird imo.

Lol, I currently teach a kid who currently goes by Thor, and in Korea I taught a kid who insisted I call him Iron Man.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
This would be overcomplicating a process that the vast majority of people don't necessarily have a problem with.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I currently teach a kid who currently goes by Thor, and in Korea I taught a kid who insisted I call him Iron Man.

This is a funny reply cause Thor was going to be my first name, my mom vetoed my dad and made it my middle one instead. Also Thor is VERY VERY normal to these names I've seen.

These are names I can google and get 0 results, that's how far out they are.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, 8. When I became a man of the world and knew not childish ways. Probably would have named myself Philip or some such and certainly not Sword.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Much less weird than some person you might end up hating giving you a name you're stuck with for at least 18 years.

Nicknames are a thing. I had a friend in middle and high school who never went by his first name, he wanted everyone to call him Penguin, so we did (teachers included).

It's never made sense to me, especially since the vast majority of people end up with a generic name that's either chosen from a relative's name, or a trendy list.

Always felt a much better convention would be for the parents to select a "birth name" which then becomes your middle name when you turn 18. At 18 you fill out a form to select a first name.

Yeah, people can change their name legally at any time, but it never seems to occur to most because we are conditioned to accept the parentally chosen name.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

This teen in a martial arts class I was taking years ago introduced himself as Odin. Later, the instructor told me that wasn't his real name.

And I do know someone whose actual name is Thor.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
I picked my own name. (Granted, I was in my 30s when I did it.) I don't see why others shouldn't be afforded the same thing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think that you should be able to change it if you really don't like it. Not sure at what age though.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
When you give birth and basically keep a child alive for 18 years you'll know the least thing you could give a parent is the option to choose your name. Damn at 8 years old i would chose a name for each day I wake up.

EDIT: Which by the way you could legally change to Metta world peace when your 18.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
It's one of those ideas that are good in theory, but in today's world, more than a few teenagers would just use their changed name as an opportunity to troll. If it was already a cultural tradition, I think it would be pretty cool.

Actually, I wanted to change my name for a while. I felt held back by two things: 1) guilt as to how my father would feel that I'm not longer his junior, and 2) having a hard time finding a name that felt right.

edit: learning to count to two

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly kind of like this idea. Something like a coming of age ceremony but with picking your legal name attached to it. Definitely a lot older than 8 though.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
While it's hard to create a full legal name from whole cloth, right now you do have a fair amount of autonomy in what you're addressed by. You can go by your middle name, your last name, various subsets of your first middle or last name, initials, nicknames, etc. If your first name is bad, you have alternatives. You generally can't just pick a brand new name out, but you can reject your first name without too much trouble.

In theory. It does take some social effort, and if your parents are assholes and part of your life it could be a problem, but speaking as an Andrew, there are plenty of things people have called me just out of convenience of not having another Andrew running around. And if you're meeting new people, they're not going to check your ID if you tell them your name is Gideon.

And your legal name is pretty irrelevant most of the time, right? If you really want to change it you can, but... why?

Oct 27, 2017
It should probably be somewhat easier to change your name, but there's no getting around tying a lot of important legal stuff to names. Also most people aren't that fussed about their given name. I don't know what the minimum age is for changing your name but it *probably* shouldn't be less than 16.

But also, regardless of legal names, everyone should be cool about whatever name someone *asks* to be called.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
You want to choose your own name, then go and run for Pope or something

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
IDK about this specific idea but changing your name should absolutely be normalized. It could have meaning to you, like you want a fresh start, it could just be for fun. Either way, it's cool, and the fact that I picked my own name is one of the neat unique life experiences I've had being trans.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, because kids are wise enough to not choose "Optimus Prime" when they get to choose their name before they start kindergarten, where they will need a name

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not naming them at all would seriously mess up their development and would just be hard to do. If you just make it a "temporary" name then it will effectively just be a permanent name. It should be easier to change your legal name but even if it was easy probably way less than 10% of people ever would do it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Kids can't choose their names because they would be stupid, but parents that give kids weird names or stuff like "Goku" are selfish

But if there was a list to choose from I see no harm in kids choosing

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Yes, because kids are wise enough to not choose "Optimus Prime" when they get to choose their name before start kindergarten
pJcZXho.gif

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
lol save this one for your blockbuster sci-fi YA novel, there are a few cultures that don't do the true name thing until later in life, like initiation. but it's still not left up the to child, lol.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
You how many "Supreme" and "Based" kids would be out there?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
"Cabbage Patch Kids Freeman you come down here right now, you're in big trouble mister man!"