• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye to the best OS since XP. I hate Windows 10 but I'm forced to use it and Windows 8 was utter garbage. F

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Dev laptop will continue running on Win 7, all others have already been moved to Win 10 while it was free. It is a los though, Win 7 is the best PC OS.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Apart from some minor annoyances with 10 I don't see any reason to mourn W7 anymore. Let's move on.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Praise the lord. Windows 8 and 10 were massive leaps forward with their SSD support/speed.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on building a new PC either late this month or next month and will probably move from 7 to 10 when I do.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
My father is still on 7; my brother is still running XP. I've given up trying to get either of them to update.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
We're still using using 7 at work. Hope we can get an upgrade or will the Enterprise version will still be updated?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my dad's laptop today because of it. It is an old laptop from 2010 that was high-end back then (Radiant display HP Envy 14), so it still works well after adding a SSD to it, but getting Windows 10 installed was initially a nightmare. I tried a few years ago when W10 first released as a free upgrade but it would abort every time during the initial install process. I'm not sure what's changed other than it is a few W10 revisions later and now it installed.

However, upon booting into Windows, the screen constantly flashed between blue and black until I made the laptop sleep + woke it, and the laptop would not output any signal via HDMI due to the dual graphics BS w/AMD and Intel integrated not working nice together. Also, half the menu's wouldn't work properly because some things tried to output to the integrated graphics while other things defaulted to the AMD GPU... I'll never get a dual graphics system again, so annoying. Anyway, the fix was to download Crimson beta drivers from 2016 off AMD's site. All the issues went away as the laptop is using the AMD graphics for everything now.

Oct 25, 2017
Great for Microsoft.

Not so great if you have to use any programs on Windows 10 that might have been more optimised for Windows 7. Yes the software should have been upgraded and optimised for Windows 10 long before now (and is paid for so it's expected) but I can't properly diagnose what happened when staff say 'my computer crashed' anymore because I can't see what Windows 10 doesn't want me to see.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who has Windows 7 on a personal computer and hasn't just upgraded to Windows 10 and snagged ClassicShell or Start10 is fucking up. W10+ClassicShell/Start10 is all you need for an experience similar to Windows 7, but vastly superior. And if you're worried about telemetry, just get the Enterprise versions and call it a day.

Nov 8, 2017
Windows 7 was the nicest looking Windows OS, and I'm pretty sure Microsoft only changed the visual style in Windows 10 in order to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Same reason the Ribbon was introduced in Microsoft Office. Microsoft products are so widely used, that people will look at competing products as "falling behind" because they're still doing things "the old way" (as opposed to Microsoft's "new way"), even if the old way was actually better.

Kubuntu is still far better than any version of Windows anyway, so at least at home it doesn't affect me.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to simpler times when OSs were developed and tested by humans and were considered Halo products.

Microsoft looks at Windows as a legacy product nowadays, they just seem to be wanting to do everything else.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I loved the system since the previews (Still have my burned DVD with the first preview of it). I liked it so much that my laptop will be forever stuck on W7... Because I can't upgrade it to anything. Damn hybrid graphics.

Meanwhile my desktop still runs Windows 8.1 for the time being.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Company moved us over to 10 enterprise a few months ago. Good riddance to 7.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still using it on my old PC! The best OS I had alongside XP.
Went to Win 10 two times, but each time returned to Win 7. But should try it another time soon.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
What does the word "insecure" mean in this case?

Should I stop using paypal and online Banking on my W7 laptop??

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss it dearly, I upgraded years ago when it was free and I've hated it since then. 7 was the epitome of "it just works" for everything I did. 10 was a nightmare for me for years, it's only gotten better the farther along time brings me away from 7 as I have forgotten a lot by now.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing immediately, but eventually exploits will be found that can mean almost anything from full remote access (being able to run whatever code they want on your system, full access to all of your hardware, including anything saved on discs or cache'd) to keyloggers, to ransomeware, etc etc.

So no, you should not be using your W7 laptop for anything that involves it being connected to the internet. Your best bet to keep that laptop running and secure would be to install some flavor of linux. Plenty out there that will look and act similar enough to Win 7 (Anything with a KDE or cinnamon desktop will probably be a good approximation) and will be updated near perpetually.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You should stop using it for anything, period. It's extra vulnerable to attacks, viruses, ransomware and of course getting all of your activity (which includes going into Paypal, yes).

It doesn't mean you necessarily will get infected by anything, but why take the risk?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I would doubley be concerned since the EoL has been known for a long time, and I imagine there are already day 0 exploits that people have been sitting on waiting to use after they were sure they wouldn't get patched.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Apart from some minor annoyances with 10 I don't see any reason to mourn W7 anymore. Let's move on.

the thing about 7 is that it's simple (relatively) and it just works (relatively).

For 10, there's this weird amalgamation of win32 and windows store applications not to mention the godawful of telemetry built in the OS plus the quality of monthly updates had been abysmal since 2018 (believe me, i a sysadmin for an enterprise. We've been studying the stability of Win server 2016/2019 and win10's monthly updates for quite some time. It's literally vomit inducing seeing the results)

May 13, 2019
What does this mean to a W7 user like me who has no intention of updating to newer version of Windows and who disabled Windows updates years ago?

Nothing to loss sleep over, I'd bet.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean to a W7 user like me who has no intention of updating to newer version of Windows and who disabled Windows updates years ago?

Nothing to loss sleep over, I'd bet.
..... That if you're using that computer to go online, you have no one but yourself to blame if your machine is compromised, and anything you use it for is also compromised.

This is like being proud that your never had seat belts installed into your vehicle, and you ignore every warning or sign that you should. Sure your vehicle will still work, but you'll end up in a crash at some point, and you could end up losing everything.

But even assuming that doesn't bother you, it also means that all future software will no longer be tested on, and most won't support windows 7. Steam will put Win 7 into legacy support mode (no new versions for it), devs won't test on it or release binaries that will support it. If you never planning on using any new software, that will be fine.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Got a 5 year old budget laptop that I only really occasionally use for Steamlink and 2D gamedev

Guess I should probably upgrade, but worried that it might be a bit creaky...

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been upgrading all my company's systems to 10 the past few months. Still have about a half dozen to go.

May 13, 2019
..... That if you're using that computer to go online, you have no one but yourself to blame if your machine is compromised, and anything you use it for is also compromised.

This is like being proud that your never had seat belts installed into your vehicle, and you ignore every warning or sign that you should. Sure your vehicle will still work, but you'll end up in a crash at some point, and you could end up losing everything.
My issue lies in the fact that my pc is old to the point that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for W10 or even W8 for that matter, so I'm basically stuck.

with malware, ransomware wrecking havoc these past few years, i see that people still like to be living on the edge.
Honestly, I'm living constantly in fear that my pc will burst into flames the next time I run Firefox.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Been holding off upgrading the one laptop we have that still runs 7. :(

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My issue lies in the fact that my pc is old to the point that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for W10 or even W8 for that matter, so I'm basically stuck.
Makes much more sense, sorry for the hostility. Your best bet honestly is to give a flavor of linux a try. If you have a spare USB drive with 16GB free (or can buy one for like $10) I highly recommend giving Linux Mint a try. It's very windows-esque for the most part, comes with FireFox and office suites. Mint has much lower requirements to run than Win 10, but will see constant support and security patches on it's current versions till 2023.

You can run the whole OS off of the USB drive to test run it, and even if you choose to install it permanently to your drive, it can create it's own partition and co-exist with your current windows and files without losing anything.