• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
My issue lies in the fact that my pc is old to the point that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for W10 or even W8 for that matter, so I'm basically stuck.

Honestly, I'm living constantly in fear that my pc will burst into flames the next time I run Firefox.
You'll be fine, I running W7 without regular updates for basically 5 year now and its not like my paypal would guaranteed to got hacked.. but yeah steam no longer support it would be problem soon.

MarineSparks

Jan 5, 2020
Wisconsin
It had a good run, but it's time to move on.
I moved to MacOS and never looked back. Only problem is my gaming computer is no longer my main computer, even though it's more powerful. Oh well.

OP
OP
Hamster Plugin
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be fine, I running W7 without regular updates for basically 5 year now and its not like my paypal would guaranteed to got hacked.. but yeah steam no longer support it would be problem soon.
Steam isn't going to drop Windows 7 yet. They only dropped XP and Vista last year. Their own hardware survey says that 33% of users still use Windows 7 so they can't get rid of support for it yet.

May 13, 2019
Makes much more sense, sorry for the hostility. Your best bet honestly is to give a flavor of linux a try. If you have a spare USB drive with 16GB free (or can buy one for like $10) I highly recommend giving Linux Mint a try. It's very windows-esque for the most part, comes with FireFox and office suites. Mint has much lower requirements to run than Win 10, but will see constant support and security patches on it's current versions till 2023.

You can run the whole OS off of the USB drive to test run it, and even if you choose to install it permanently to your drive, it can create it's own partition and co-exist with your current windows and files without losing anything.
It's OK. I should have mentioned that on my first post.

Another problem I've got is that some of the programs I use present compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows and lack Linux versions.

That's what I hope.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
RIP to the best Windows.
I'm still running 7 because I can't stand 10, but I was fortunately smart enough to grab a couple of keys during the free period so I can still upgrade.

I've been heavily, heavily leaning towards just switching to Linux and that was always my plan, but even with Proton the game compatibility still isn't 100% of the way there.
I think when I build my next computer I'll start off running 10 and rip out as much of the telemetry as I can, then slowly start transferring over to Linux.
Until then, I'll stay on 7 and use Linux on my secondary computer to get myself more and more familiarized.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For those who have not upgraded from win 7 and wants to, you can still try this method to get a free upgrade. It worked for me just in Dec.

www.zdnet.com

Can you still get a Windows 10 upgrade for free?

Microsoft's much-hyped free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended years ago, but it took more than seven years before the company finally updated its activation servers. Here's what upgraders can expect now.

I have one problem with my pc though. After the upgrade my Office 2016 and Internet Explorer(I went back to get some old bookmarks) won't display images at all. Anyone knows a solution, especially for Office 2016? I also installed a new graphics card, if that might be a factor. Images elsewhere work fine.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite windows OS, especially coming off of 98 SE and it's super hard crash proneness. (the irony being, I have a retro win98SE PC, but not a 2k or XP one).

I can't remember why I eventually moved to XP, but I wasn't on it long before Vista.... then quickly back to XP til 7 came out.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I run a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux Mint at the moment and i'm not really looking forward to upgrading Windows 7 as i'm pretty sure it will break things.

Debating whether i should just back-up my important files and go with a clean install instead. I have got a ton of files i would need to sort through so I'm not looking forward to that either.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
7 had a better interface even if 10 has better features. i'm using classic shell though so it's not like i can complain (not my desktop)
open-shell.png
Classic-toolbar1.png

also got one that lets me use win 7 gadgets. But i might be alone in still liking them.

bring-desktop-gadgets-windows-10.w1456.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The manufacturer's upgrade advisor tool says my system will have issues if I update. Makes sense I guess, it's a 2011 system. So it's time to buy a new laptop.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Windows 7 had a good run. I missed it when I upgraded it to Windows 10 a couple of years ago when they offered the free upgrade.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I hope all the programs I use support W10 :< that was my main fear in upgrading, but I guess I gotta do it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Still on W7 on a modified as hell PC from 2009 that keeps on chugging without a hitch, and it's gonna stay that way till it dies.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Haha, my computer at home still has Windows 7. I tried upgrading a few years ago, and it just made it much slower so I reverted back to 7.

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I didn't always like W10, but in the past year they've made a few small changes here and there that are nice. 10 is still janky but for now I'm not running Linux.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Funny. I'm the last person in my department who hasn't upgraded but yesterday my IT guy said today was my deadline to save all my shit and he was giving me a new PC no matter what. I guess this is why

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Funny. I'm the last person in my department who hasn't upgraded but yesterday my IT guy said today was my deadline to save all my shit and he was giving me a new PC no matter what. I guess this is why
I am waiting for a new work PC as well. Upgrading would just break my current rig.

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn. Never updated an OS, is it as easy as installing an app these days? My desktop/aging gaming PC still runs 7. Anything I should know? (Any good promos/deals?)

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I still have a computer at work using 98 that we just isolate from the network like the Galactica so it doesn't get any smart ideas. Or it just can't connect because it's components are as old as dinosaurs.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
..... That if you're using that computer to go online, you have no one but yourself to blame if your machine is compromised, and anything you use it for is also compromised.

This is like being proud that your never had seat belts installed into your vehicle, and you ignore every warning or sign that you should. Sure your vehicle will still work, but you'll end up in a crash at some point, and you could end up losing everything.

But even assuming that doesn't bother you, it also means that all future software will no longer be tested on, and most won't support windows 7. Steam will put Win 7 into legacy support mode (no new versions for it), devs won't test on it or release binaries that will support it. If you never planning on using any new software, that will be fine.
Why can't we just blame Microsoft for not supporting it anymore?