• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I bet there are millions and millions of computers still running 7 at municipal and other level that are wide open for hackers

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
About time. W7 was great, but I've been sick of it for a few years in IT. Granted, I haven't been negatively affected by W10 (yet), which I hear so much about. I'm also glad to be getting away from Server 2008 R2.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I never really understood the hatred some people had towards windows 8

classic shell is a thing and can make the ui look the same as windows 7 did

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't we just blame Microsoft for not supporting it anymore?
This is like being mad that Ford doesn't still produce parts for 10 year old car models. At some point, it's just no longer feasible for a company to support their older products, and 10 years is a perfectly good run for an operating system.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I work for a local MSP IT company and lemme tell you, people are freaking tf out. A lot of our clients waited until the last minute to upgrade and now they believe that their computers are just going to shut off unless they are on 10. It's not fun.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
This is like being mad that Ford doesn't still produce parts for 10 year old car models. At some point, it's just no longer feasible for a company to support their older products, and 10 years is a perfectly good run for an operating system.
BMW still manufactures and supports parts for my E46 model from 2003. Also third parties.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I work for a local MSP IT company and lemme tell you, people are freaking tf out. A lot of our clients waited until the last minute to upgrade and now they believe that their computers are just going to shut off unless they are on 10. It's not fun.

My company's sales team did a full court press last year getting people spooked into contracting copious amounts of OS upgrades.
It's basically been the majority of my hours billed over the last 3-4 months.

I bet there are millions and millions of computers still running 7 at municipal and other level that are wide open for hackers

Hell, the number of XP/Server 2003 machines still in operation out there is kinda frightening.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
BMW still manufactures parts for my E46 model from 2003. Also third parties.
It was silly of me, I shouldn't have used a $20,000 product to compare to an $80 one. The profit margins are very different.

Especially since BMW can SELL you the new parts, but Microsoft can't sell people the security updates (well, they could, but no one would buy them outside of businesses.... which they effectively do since microsoft supports their server software for longer).

Oct 17, 2018
I havent used 7 in years but 10 can be a shit show at times in comparison. The amount of times an update has basically fucked my computer and made it need a system restore is insane. This is across 3 different systems so I know it's not just one computer being fucky

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, the number of XP/Server 2003 machines still in operation out there is kinda frightening.
This is why I always laugh when people say that Y2K was a hoax... In 1999, companies and the military were still using PCs from the 70-80's just like you can still find a lot today using XP and Vista. Bet plenty of companies right now are scrambling from lack of foresight.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Windows 7 is much less intrusive than Windows 10, though. Win 10 is much more aggressive with its updates, takes more time to install them at its own schedule and I feel it also deals worse with hibernation mode than Win 7.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Can I customize my Windows 10 to have themes and stuff? Like a black theme to make it easier on my eyes like Windows 7? If not I'll live on the edge.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It was silly of me, I shouldn't have used a $20,000 product to compare to an $80 one. The profit margins are very different.

Especially since BMW can SELL you the new parts, but Microsoft can't sell people the security updates (well, they could, but no one would buy them outside of businesses.... which they effectively do since microsoft supports their server software for longer).
Good luck selling me Microsoft products in the future then.

A better analogy would be if any service ceases to exist and you can't play/watch games/media anymore.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It is wise to upgrade my 2011 laptop to w10?
Do you store any important information on your laptop? Do you use it for banking, bill payments, online shopping, or taxes? Is it connected constantly online?

If you said yes to any or all of these questions, your going to need to do something. Windows 8, 10, or some form of linux if you want to keep your peace of mind. Undoubtedly performance is going to be worse, but that's just the name of the game.

Good luck selling me Microsoft products in the future then.

I hadn't planned on doing this at all, and indeed I made another thread today about anyone on an EoL windows system who doesn't want to go to windows 10 to give Linux Mint a try.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it will continue to do so.

Guess it's a good thing you like the OS then.

My company's sales team did a full court press last year getting people spooked into contracting copious amounts of OS upgrades.
It's basically been the majority of my hours billed over the last 3-4 months.

My company's file server was on 2003 till last year. Owners had to be begged to fund the upgrade.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow my boss's computer was still on 7 despite every other computer in the building being on 10 for years. When IT found out in October they said it would be safer to junk it than update so until it's time for a upgrade my boss has to bring their laptop to work.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you store any important information on your laptop? Do you use it for banking, bill payments, online shopping, or taxes? Is it connected constantly online?

If you said yes to any or all of these questions, your going to need to do something. Windows 8, 10, or some form of linux if you want to keep your peace of mind. Undoubtedly performance is going to be worse, but that's just the name of the game.

Yes to everything hahaha also ERA, YouTube, netflix and office 365.

But I don't know if my laptop can run W10 without any performance issues, I guess I need to buy an ssd

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
Is it recommended to not do a clean installation of W10? Not in the mood for reinstalling everything.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is it recommended to not do a clean installation of W10? Not in the mood for reinstalling everything.
You might be able to manage it. I've had mix results in the upgrade process, generally it won't make a system completely inoperable and if there is too much wonkiness you can do a clean install later.

It has a i5 so I don't know if is dual core or quad and from what I remember it has 6gb of ram and I was planning to buy a SSD this month for that laptop.
Honestly, an SSD alone would likely be enough of an upgrade to make windows 10 work alright. It may even overall make the system feel faster even if technically the system is being bottlenecked more by the OS (that's just how huge of an upgrade SSDs are versus traditional hard drives).

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
99% of my experience of Windows 7 was on an iMac. Was pretty good too, I kinda preferred it to Snow Leopard/Lion back in the day, although the "feel" of OS X was superior. Nowadays I use Windows 10 on my custom desktop PC and it's been ace, no problems with it really, I wouldn't go back to 7.

It has a i5 so I don't know if is dual core or quad and from what I remember it has 6gb of ram and I was planning to buy a SSD this month for that laptop.
Windows 10 ran fine on a desktop from 2008 that had a i3 dual core, 4 GB ram and an SSD added in. Just get the SSD and you'll be fine!

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
99% of my experience of Windows 7 was on an iMac. Was pretty good too, I kinda preferred it to Snow Leopard/Lion back in the day, although the "feel" of OS X was superior. Nowadays I use Windows 10 on my custom desktop PC and it's been ace, no problems with it really, I wouldn't go back to 7.

Windows 10 ran fine on a desktop from 2008 that had a i3 dual core, 4 GB ram and an SSD added in. Just get the SSD and you'll be fine!

Thank you my laptop still works fine and I refuse to let it die!!!

Now I need to find a way to upgrade cheaply to w10 :p!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I had to finally put down my W7 installation after ~11 years. Given how long it was in service it honestly felt like a rickety old car when I tried to do anything fancy with it. Still, I appreciate what I was able to do with it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you my laptop still works fine and I refuse to let it die!!!

Now I need to find a way to upgrade cheaply to w10 :p!
You can try what this post suggested.

For those who have not upgraded from win 7 and wants to, you can still try this method to get a free upgrade. It worked for me just in Dec.

www.zdnet.com

Can you still get a Windows 10 upgrade for free?

Microsoft's much-hyped free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended years ago, but it took more than seven years before the company finally updated its activation servers. Here's what upgraders can expect now.

Would be surprised if it didn't work, Microsoft has been actively trying to get people onto 10 from previous windows for the last 2 years. It's in their best interest to get people off of EoL products.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I still somehow have a mostly untouched Windows 7 party pack MS sent out to people. It included a copy of Windows 7 so that is gone, but the rest is untouched. It was supposed to be for people willing to host Windows 7 launch parties. Haha

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I was hesitent to move towards Windows 10 for so long but finally did so after building a new PC. I kinda had no choice since Ryzen doesn't officially support 8.1.

However, I'd say that the transition was fine. I'm not a fan of the additional metro stuff and how tacked on it feels. I don't like the limited cuztomization you have. But other than that it still works with all my old software that I need (even things from like 2002) and is a lot more plug and play friendly than Windows 7, from what I've experienced so far.

People should take their security as seriously as they can. I've been at my brother to upgrade from 7 for so long now, even going as far as buying him a new SSD and a 10 key to do a fresh install so he doesn't lose his files on his current drive. And having an anti-virus isn't any excuse when your operating system is filled with holes.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Almost all our computers at work still run Windows 7. Though based on how old and underpowered they are, I don't see them upgrading anything anytime soon.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Same lol.

We've already even had a ransomware attack a few years back, but the bosses refuse to upgrade.

I can't even get my manager to spend like $20 on a ram upgrade. Probably half our computers still have 2gb of ram, and using them is a painful experience. Especially when you need to open a browser. We had a computer where the power supply when bad, and when I was there by myself I took the ram out and put it in our main front computer so at least it would have 4gb.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Ive been using W10 since forever and it still boggles my mind that the UI can look modern sometimes and sometimes look like the XP. It is a great OS though, had way less problems with it than with other Windows' versions.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
There's always going to be that one dude still on Windows 7 cause he's convinced it gives him an extra 3 frames in Counter-Strike: Source

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded my personal PC last summer. While between the two I still prefer the Windows 7 OS, I am used to Windows 10 now.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
For 10, there's this weird amalgamation of win32 and windows store applications not to mention the godawful of telemetry built in the OS plus the quality of monthly updates had been abysmal since 2018 (believe me, i a sysadmin for an enterprise. We've been studying the stability of Win server 2016/2019 and win10's monthly updates for quite some time. It's literally vomit inducing seeing the results)

Yeah it sounds to me like they straight up no longer have a PC testing division, and while there are issues I have with W10 aside from the quality of updates (mainly the way that important PC settings are no longer all kept in a single place under a single interface) it's certainly the biggest one because some of these updates have been unusable garbage.

Of course if they weren't planning to end support for W7 I would suspect that OS would go a similar route as well due to that lack of testing infrastructure.

Lemonz

Oct 27, 2017
Compton
EOPk0Q5X0AEz9yO