• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I remember installing the first public beta of Windows 7, and feeling how much more satisfying it was to use than Vista. I was a part of the beta program, and they had a whole portal full of user challenges and feedback posts, to which you'd get actual replies from the dev team. I've still got my special edition box they shipped to me when it went golden.

Then after that they shut down that highly participatory beta program, and it showed with Windows 8.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it recommended to not do a clean installation of W10? Not in the mood for reinstalling everything.
Doing an upgrade vs clean install has greatly improved over the years. It used to be that it was absolutely recommended to do a clean install. I've just upgrade the last 3 versions or so. No issues. I would do an upgrade and activate Windows 10. If you have issues, then do a clean install.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
My company's sales team did a full court press last year getting people spooked into contracting copious amounts of OS upgrades.
It's basically been the majority of my hours billed over the last 3-4 months.

Hell, the number of XP/Server 2003 machines still in operation out there is kinda frightening.

Reminds me when I go out and see the familiar blue screen of XP that shows up on automated machines.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow one of our client (whose hardware we have to use) didn't think about all the laptops that needed an upgrade untill last month.
So now I have a wait list of at least three month for my laptop to be upgraded (because they are legally obligated to backup the data before upgrading), and can't use it in the mean time...

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Last update:
IjQQIDc.png

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Windows 7 is pretty hard to go back to in some ways. I had been using it at work as recently as last week however and transitioned fully to a new workstation yesterday. Not unusably dated like XP though. But the Aero look sure is dated now.
Windows 10 is here to stay.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
You can still play Diablo 2 on Blizzard's servers after almost 20 years.

And this is Microsoft, one of the biggest companies in the world.

Keeping the lights on in your server farm is a bit different to patching new security holes in an operating system. D2 has had only a couple patches during the last decade.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

score01

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Windows7. Was a breath of fresh air after the clusterfuck that was Vista.

Remember when it was just meant to be a service pack?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Incorrect. Was always there to begin with (to a degree), then the rest got backported.

Windows 10 is just going to be updated every quarter from now on. I wouldn't doubt they'd call it Windows 11 years from now but no word on anything like that as of yet. No plans.

Edit* Twice a year, so semi-annually.

If you have MSDN just install Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC. Every few years there's a version and it gets security updates only for 10 years.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Ugh, I suppose it is time to start lookin into getting a subscription to Adobe products. The reason I am still on Windows 7 is because Creative suite works on it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Windows 7 is getting annoying at work though. Software Center keeps bricking installs depending on the order of updates installed. Having a solid VM is a must.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I work as a consultant at a MSP, the last year or so has been brutal trying to get clients to upgrade to Windows 10. First your looking at projects ranging from $10k to 400k for new hardware, software updates and project labor. Then you're dealing with out of stock hardware (everyone and their mother is upgrading so business grade software like Thibkpads, Elitebooks etc are sold out). Oh and Server 2008 is dead too. It's been a mess.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'm still on 7 lol. Vista was such a mess. Guess I'll update to 10... eventually...

I regretted upgrading to w10. Should have stayed to w7 for a little longer. All games I have run on w7 too. I really hate the update process of 10.last cumulative update took me 4 hours. So I disabled Windows update and cortana. Compared to 7 it is more demanding with more disk readings, despite disabling any redundant background tasks and services.

Biggest drawback is you cant disable Windows Desktop Manager for lower input latency and faster response times. This was possible in xp and 7.

I also had an Ubuntu partition that was much faster than 10,but a routine update screwed things over and I couldn't even enter recovery mode. Issue was too complex and when I asked for help they required me to do things beyond my comprehension. Deleted the partition and am stuck to 10,with hibernate mode on to save boot time.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Switched from 7 to 10 pro about 6 months ago and was surprised that it was pretty much the same. Had to toggle vsync off manually for some games to get response times back to normal but that was it. If you are still on the fence you probably don't have anything to worry about. Waiting did help me avoid 10s earlier issues though.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Just updated and my PC is crazy slow now. The main drive I upgraded on is consistently at 100% usage and I can't figure out why.

Could it be trying to index the files on it? It's over 400 GB, and every time I look at it in Task Manager, it's constantly reading and writing. Resource Manager also keeps going into TempCompact.dat, so my only guess is it's trying to index the drive after OS installation. Looking up YouTube videos has produced zero solutions for me, and the health of the drive is good. Maybe one of y'all can help me here.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Windows 7, you stable (often unstable) SOB.

DefinitiveTintedGoldfinch-small.gif

MS is currently on my shitlist since some of their Win 10 updates have completely fucked up a number of PCs at work over the last couple of months.
(NTFS Errors, Bootloops, fucking up the Filesystem...not happy.)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Windows 7, you stable (often unstable) SOB.

DefinitiveTintedGoldfinch-small.gif

MS is currently on my shitlist since some of their Win 10 updates have completely fucked up a number of PCs at work over the last couple of months.
(NTFS Errors, Bootloops, fucking up the Filesystem...not happy.)

Are updates managed by your IT staff? We've had no issues with updates.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Just updated and my PC is crazy slow now. The main drive I upgraded on is consistently at 100% usage and I can't figure out why.

Could it be trying to index the files on it? It's over 400 GB, and every time I look at it in Task Manager, it's constantly reading and writing. Resource Manager also keeps going into TempCompact.dat, so my only guess is it's trying to index the drive after OS installation. Looking up YouTube videos has produced zero solutions for me, and the health of the drive is good. Maybe one of y'all can help me here.

If it's a spinning disk welcome to using Windows 10 on an HDD. It's not great. You can disable windows search and super fetch to make it tolerable but you should really upgrade to an SSD

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have a few Windows 7 Desktops and Laptops but they are just streaming slaves and one of them used as my rendering machine for videos.

My main PCs I use for gaming include a Windows 8.1 Laptop and a Windows 10 Desktop.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Are updates managed by your IT staff? We've had no issues with updates.

They are. They use SCCM to manage/push them.

I think it's likely related to an issue with our Antivirus.

If it's a spinning disk welcome to using Windows 10 on an HDD. It's not great. You can disable windows search and super fetch to make it tolerable but you should really upgrade to an SSD

Can confirm. Win 10 does not run great on an HDD.

Slap a SSD in that bad boy and enjoy the speed increase.