• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I never upgraded past XP / 2000. They had their flaws but they are tiny and run well in a small VM, which is nice if you just need to run a couple small programs or compile something on occasion. Using 7 (now 10) at work and it's like wading through molasses, can't even imagine the resources needed to run 10 in Virtualbox.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are. They use SCCM to manage/push them.

I think it's likely related to an issue with our Antivirus.

Yeah, we had issues with AMP on a newer ver. That was a year ago and just rolled back until they fixed the issue. Any issue we had with Windows 10 hasn't been the OS. It's been stable as hell.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im on 10 since my new pc build a month or so ago.

I have to admit, after I followed all the guides and disabled all the bullshit. Worked with programs to get everything set right. Tweaked the dark mode and all that.

Its great now. Its... Invisible basically. I had to delete a LOT of shit though. They had a little mobile looking game in my fucking start menu and shit man it was terrible. But after you get through the grind that it requires to edit everything and turn cortana off and customize everything. It sort of disappears. And I love the little upgrades to stuff like multi monitor support and many other little things im forgetting.

Edit: Also, very VERY happy I skipped 8. That is all.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

I have to admit, after I followed all the guides and disabled all the bullshit. Worked with programs to get everything set right. Tweaked the dark mode and all that.

Its great now. Its... Invisible basically. I had to delete a LOT of shit though. They had a little mobile looking game in my fucking start menu and shit man it was terrible. But after you get through the grind that it requires to edit everything and turn cortana off and customize everything. It sort of disappears. And I love the little upgrades to stuff like multi monitor support and many other little things im forgetting.

Yup.

I also registry hack the old photo viewer in because the new one doesn't work with mouse wheel the zoom or something really basic that should work.

Performance mode, never sleep
Disable Cortana
Notify updates instead of incessantly rebooting
UAC minimum
Clearing out start to just have game stores
Google drive install
7z install
Notepad++ install
Gaming stores
Office install
Nvidia and Audio drivers

That's about it. Then it just works.

Also use win key and type the app you want because start menu indexer is still a piece of shit.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Can you tell me what guides you used? I'll need them in a few weeks and I already dread going trhough all this shit.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Still using Win7. I refuse to fully convert to W10. Even my Surface is still 8.1 or w/e. W10 just was trash for a long time and I have little faith it is as stable as my win7 is right now and has been for a decade.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Can you tell me what guides you used? I'll need them in a few weeks and I already dread going trhough all this shit.

For any of the items we listed Google it. Look at the results for stackoverflow and similar websites with developer qa. You'll learn which ones are paywall grifters, and bot copied content

Feb 1, 2018
W10 is surprisingly usable these days, enjoyable, even. Which is something I never thought I'd say about it. macOS needs to adopt the handy cmd (sorry WINDOWS KEY) + tab slick and smooth window changer. I also like how it has a built in checksum function in the right click menu- I have to open terminal to do that in macOS

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Final updates downloading now. I am sad. I hate setting up new computers, have been dreading this moment!

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to redownload the free win 10 update? I had it installed a while ago and my HD died. Only had the 7 disc

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Most of our PCs at work are still on Win7. Looking forward to a rushed rollout along with 10 breaking a bunch of stuff no one planned for in legacy systems.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to redownload the free win 10 update? I had it installed a while ago and my HD died. Only had the 7 disc

It is free to download from Microsoft. The license key is registered to your motherboard so it will automatically register.

I re-installed it multiple times before realising my HDD was the issue then re-installed on a new drive with no issue.

Oct 27, 2017
So I updated from 7 to 10. Seemed to be free? Very smooth, no issues. One new thing I saw is linking an android phone. Anyone do this? Cool or functional at all?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I never upgraded past XP / 2000. They had their flaws but they are tiny and run well in a small VM, which is nice if you just need to run a couple small programs or compile something on occasion. Using 7 (now 10) at work and it's like wading through molasses, can't even imagine the resources needed to run 10 in Virtualbox.

"ok..............................boomer."

:P /jk

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I never upgraded past XP / 2000. They had their flaws but they are tiny and run well in a small VM, which is nice if you just need to run a couple small programs or compile something on occasion. Using 7 (now 10) at work and it's like wading through molasses
I mean that's quite word for word what people said about 98/XP when XP came out :p

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm planning on building my PC later this year but for now I'm stuck with my 2013 build.

Intel ended driver support for my motherboard a few years ago so no drivers for Windows 10 were released. I'm worried that upgrading to Windows 10 is going to cause me more trouble than its worth as all my drivers will be for Windows 7/8 only.

Can I still upgrade? What are my options?

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried to update to 10 and it failed. It was unclear why, but I'm guessing it ran out of space. I have a small sod for my os. How much free space do you need? I'll free up some space and try again tomorrow I guess.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm planning on building my PC later this year but for now I'm stuck with my 2013 build.

Intel ended driver support for my motherboard a few years ago so no drivers for Windows 10 were released. I'm worried that upgrading to Windows 10 is going to cause me more trouble than its worth as all my drivers will be for Windows 7/8 only.

Can I still upgrade? What are my options?
Windows 8 drivers and Software will likely work with 10.

May 26, 2018
I'd love a good definitive thread on emptying out Windows 10 of telemetry, and automatically de-activating it when updates try to turn it back on.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So I updated from 7 to 10. Seemed to be free? Very smooth, no issues. One new thing I saw is linking an android phone. Anyone do this? Cool or functional at all?
It's fine. If you have a Samsung phone, use Samsung's implementation. If not, Microsoft's works well enough.

And once again, I'll reiterate that everyone coming from W7 should download Start10 or ClassicShell.

And Groupy if you want some extra extra.

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried to update to 10 and it failed. It was unclear why, but I'm guessing it ran out of space. I have a small sod for my os. How much free space do you need? I'll free up some space and try again tomorrow I guess.

I didnt have enough space upgrading from 7 to 10 (told me I needed 6 GB I believe) but it didnt let me start the upgrade until I cleared room.

how long does the update take? Was it a clean install?

Not sure about clean install (seems pretty clean, but I'm no expert). I cant remember if I had to click anything after starting, but I walked away and 4 hours later the machine had booted into windows 10 ready to go.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
You can have my OS when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

I just sent an email to IT at work telling them I need to upgrade.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Out of curiosity, what is it that you desperately need to get rid of?

I'm perfectly happy with vanilla Windows, I gotta say. It's the first time I actually don't feel any urge to tweak anything whatsoever, which is nice because it always leads to more trouble than it's worth, I feel.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Windows 7 was a fantastic OS.

However I jumped ship to W10 the day it released, because I had faith in this OS.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

What in the hell

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

I'm perfectly happy with vanilla Windows, I gotta say. It's the first time I actually don't feel any urge to tweak anything whatsoever, which is nice because it always leads to more trouble than it's worth, I feel.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater - I used a script like this and it removes a lot of the built in apps, dumb games and some services that aren't necessary. The script can also be reverted very easily too in case people want to go back.

I also install Classic Shell (Open Shell as someone else took over the development) because I prefer the old-school start menu, even though most people are fine with the W10 start menu.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Updated a ~10 year old work PC to Win10 today, only thing I needed to do was uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.

Still free so take advantage while you still can. Did not even have to input a license key.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Automatic updates, Cortana, and generally trying to find and get rid of stuff that fucks with my data in ways I don't want it to get fucked with.

Apr 24, 2018
Stupid question: Does Steam automatically create cloud saves for games? I've gone through nearly all of Trails in the Sky SC on my old computer (which is on its deathbed, anyways) which I won't bother updating to Windows 10. I have a newer laptop that has Windows 10 pre-installed that I'm hoping to finish the game on.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question: Does Steam automatically create cloud saves for games? I've gone through nearly all of Trails in the Sky SC on my old computer (which is on its deathbed, anyways) which I won't bother updating to Windows 10. I have a newer laptop that has Windows 10 pre-installed that I'm hoping to finish the game on.
It's turned on by default if the game supports it, but not all do. You can check by right clicking the game in your Library and going to properties, click the update tab, and Steam Cloud should be the last option. I believe SC supports cloud saves, but it's always good to double check.