• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So are we supposed to match these together to form an actual sentence or something, cause I found a couple of these (both on 00:15)
HpSuFR5.png

HpSulHt.png

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Guys there is an actual theory in the OP with actual hints from the song.

You know if anyone wanted to actually read it lol

TL;DR V is Lady's son.

From the music video: (which Itsuno said will have teases for V)
yrkNs40.png

"I have no name"

Devil May Cry 3, mission 8:

Dante: "So, what's your name?"
Lady: "I don't have a name!"

I can't believe the leap some folks here make.
Not only are the lines not exactly the same, but just because the third character says "I have no name", it doesn't mean its lady's kid or anything. It just means the person has no name and probably some sort of entity.

My best guess is the "V" character is sorta like The Vision for the avengers with Ultron being Vergil. Probably a surrogate body Vergil created from the devil bringer arm and to transfer his power later, but later becomes sentient.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think you all are going in the wrong direction with the son thing

I think he's related to lady though, I mean she couldn't be kicking ass by herself. I figure it might be like a monk type of situation and there are a whole group, possibly a family of humans who can kick demon ass. And she's like a gun class, and he's a summoner and that's it. Or she, we don't know

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man let people have their fun. Its been 10 years, let them theory craft a bit.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of feels like we confirmed Vergil already, haven't we? I mean, I guess if they only confirmed that he'd be in the game but not playable perhaps, but I think it was mentioned here that Vergil was back, wasn't it? And I don't mean because "Vergil's Voice Actor said get hyped this year."

Still, if it is a new character, that will be fun to see just how that will be depending on what they bring to the table.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is all I could find. Hopefully someone finds the rest (if I've missed any) and puts all of the pieces together:
HpSQ5IN.png

HpSQaFA.png

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is a new DMC5 interview going around. DMC discord's Protagonist got some of the info that pertains to this 3rd character:

Interviewer: Is the new character male?
Okabe: Maybe.

Interviewer: Is the new character someone we know already?
Okabe: Maybe, haha. There's a hint about the character in the video we made for Nero's theme song.
Matthew: Oh, I didn't expect you to say that.

Interviewer: So are you saying we can guess who the new character is by listening to the song?
Okabe: I don't think so, haha. You can find that there are some clues about the character if you watch the video carefully, though.

Interviewer: So the easter egg you're talking about is not something that makes sense right now.
Okabe: Right. We plan to continue hiding similar easter eggs in our future promotions. These easter eggs won't reveal everything, but we hope they will keep the fans engaged.

So basically future DMC5 media is going to have hints of the new character. This CRAZY train has only just begun... strap on to your seatbelts!!!

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like some Fnaf shit

If it turns out there's a purple guy who dresses in a rabbit suit this shit is gonna get nuts

Jan 12, 2018
This really takes me back to the days of theorizing about Nero's connection or possible relation to Vergil, the true nature of the Devil Bringer, etc.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Well if it is indeed Dante's and Lady's son, then we finally made to Devil May Cry Babies: make your dreams come true edition , whoopsy daisy Dante will be very Vegeta about this whole affair.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the DMC3 quote is not correct, perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree a little bit.

Did you have a look at the DMC3 manga, though?

There's a line in that where Vergil says "I have no name to give to you, demon."

In fact much of the plot appears to revolve around demons sealed away by Sparda who need to retrieve their lost names in order to be released.

7tano1h.png

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Vergil is only going to be playable as DLC.

Capcom about to milk the DMC fanbase as much as they can.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the DMC3 quote is not correct, perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree a little bit.

There's a line in that where Vergil says "I have no name to give to you, demon."

In fact much of the plot appears to revolve around demons sealed away by Sparda who need to retrieve their lost names in order to be released.

7tano1h.png
HpOczFM.gif
HpOczFM.gif
HpOczFM.gif

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might have been covered already but I remember in DMC4 that when Nero gained possession of Yamato it was more or less absorbed into his arm.

Is the mystery character the one responsible for tearing his arm off? Whoever it was had to be after Yamato

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017

7tano1h.png
giphy.gif

Exactly my point, people barking up at the wrong theory even with the quote being not exact.

It is some form of Vergil me thinks but doesn't play like him at all since Capcom is probably gonna reserve him for expansions.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

7tano1h.png

148983-devil-may-cry-dante-gif.gif

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't he be currupted?
Vergil IS Nelo Angelo now, the body is screwed up.

Yeah but after DMC I thought he got at least his mind back.

But well it's Vergil after all so he for sure has no problems instant ripping off his son's arm

He should teach Kratos before it's too late

Claww

Nov 7, 2017

7tano1h.png
Nice find.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Right then. I'm tossing my hat into the ring for a theory. It's all thanks to ColdVergil urging me to read the manga's and making me do so. Thank you also to Kaztinka for posting his Manga pages in our chat to confirm the lore.

In Chapter 2 of the DMC3 Manga, Virgil and Arkham descend into the catacombs beneath the Temen-ni-gru to break the first seals of the tower. As they do so, Arham reveals the history of the tower.

"There is a record of in the demon sword documents of several demons who, as punishment, had their names taken from them. You see the names have been chipped away... This statue is not reality, just a representation."

So Demon's names seem to be of some importance. Good thing the Manga doesn't stop there:

Aside from Sparda hammering a giant spike into the tower so heaven and earth could not be separated again, he had the power to take away Demon's names. Arkham explains that "To take away its name is to render it powerless... A demon's name is its power... and the very fabric, the mould of the demon itself... To demon's, names are truth... and of far more consequence than some corporeal viscera."

A name to a demon is proof of their existence and holds their power. Sparda had the power to take from a demon their power, and as a result stop them from existing.

Now THIS is where it all comes together:

"There is a popular theory among some occult experts that demons use their names when entering into a contract... After all a nameless demon would have no power with which to grant out desires."

Since names are a source of a demons power, they can be used to bargain with. Now how does this tie into "The Mysterious V"? Well it's simple.

I believe Virgil, having been defeated by Dante and at the same time freed from Mundus' control was left without a body. As a named demon as well as a Son of Sparda, he held great power. What if in order to return to his original body he made a contract with a demon, much like the theorized contracts Arkham discussed in the DMC3 Manga.

"Demon's use their names when entering a contract".

Virgil managed to find a demon and by barganing his first initial: The Letter "V" and therein giving that Demon the power to "Grant his desires". Which in this bargain would be his corporeal viscera.

"V" is using the power Virgil gave him and is taking advantage of his newfound power at the expense of a now weakened Virgil. Why is he here? To help Nero and Dante? To return the chaos that reigned before Sparda stopped them? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Since names are a source of a demons power, they can be used to bargain with. Now how does this tie into "The Mysterious V"? Well it's simple.

I believe Virgil, having been defeated by Dante and at the same time freed from Mundus' control was left without a body. As a named demon as well as a Son of Sparda, he held great power. What if in order to return to his original body he made a contract with a demon, much like the theorized contracts Arkham discussed in the DMC3 Manga.

Virgil managed to find a demon and by barganing his first initial: The Letter "V" and therein giving that Demon the power to "Grant his desires". Which in this bargain would be his corporeal viscera.

"V" is using the power Virgil gave him and is taking advantage of his newfound power at the expense of a now weakened Virgil, is dead set on slaughtering human lives and returning the chaos that was prevalent before Sparda rose to stop them.

I like the way you think (especially since I'm a supporter of the "bodyjack" theory I posted earlier).

My only twist on your own theory goes like this...instead of another demon, what if Vergil made a contract with a human or artificial human (re: a homunculus) to accomplish the goal you outlined? Obviously, having to stoop to such means would be something Vergil wouldn't wantonly do, but desperate times call for desperate measures when his body is either still under the control of another, or just acting on its own in a destructive manner.

Whatever the case may be, this is a theory I can definitely support. The doll baby imagery is what makes me think it may be an artificial vessel Vergil is employing for his own usage. Since it wouldn't "have a name".

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I feel like it's gonna be some anime shit where Vergil will be split between his human and demon form with the human form being "V" and the demon form being one of the main antagonists.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
I like the way you think (especially since I'm a supporter of the "bodyjack" theory I posted earlier).

My only twist on your own theory goes like this...instead of another demon, what if Vergil made a contract with a human or artificial human (re: a homunculus) to accomplish the goal you outlined? Obviously, having to stoop to such means would be something Vergil wouldn't wantonly do, but desperate times call for desperate measures when his body is either still under the control of another, or just acting on its own in a destructive manner.

Whatever the case may be, this is a theory I can definitely support. The doll baby imagery is what makes me think it may be an artificial vessel Vergil is employing for his own usage. Since it wouldn't "have a name".

I would imagine if an artificial body was made, it would have been done by a Demon with it's new power. I'm strictly going off of the Manga lore but we won't know if Div 1 and the writing staff want to widen the scope of Demon contracts to humans as well as demons.

If V can summon demons to fight for him, what if he summoned Virgil back to the human world and Virgil left to find enough power to complete his body: In this case Yamato and the power within Nero's arm.

The whole goes deeper.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have updated the OP with the newer stuff. The Matt Walker twitter post, the interview and this new theory.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just read this new theory.

7tano1h.png

giphy.gif

Right then. I'm tossing my hat into the ring for a theory. It's all thanks to ColdVergil urging me to read the manga's and making me do so. Thank you also to Kaztinka for posting his Manga pages in our chat to confirm the lore.

In Chapter 2 of the DMC3 Manga, Virgil and Arkham descend into the catacombs beneath the Temen-ni-gru to break the first seals of the tower. As they do so, Arham reveals the history of the tower.

"There is a record of in the demon sword documents of several demons who, as punishment, had their names taken from them. You see the names have been chipped away... This statue is not reality, just a representation."

So Demon's names seem to be of some importance. Good thing the Manga doesn't stop there:

Aside from Sparda hammering a giant spike into the tower so heaven and earth could not be separated again, he had the power to take away Demon's names. Arkham explains that "To take away its name is to render it powerless... A demon's name is its power... and the very fabric, the mould of the demon itself... To demon's, names are truth... and of far more consequence than some corporeal viscera."

A name to a demon is proof of their existence and holds their power. Sparda had the power to take from a demon their power, and as a result stop them from existing.

Now THIS is where it all comes together:

"There is a popular theory among some occult experts that demons use their names when entering into a contract... After all a nameless demon would have no power with which to grant out desires."

"V" is using the power Virgil gave him and is taking advantage of his newfound power at the expense of a now weakened Virgil. Why is he here? To help Nero and Dante? To return the chaos that reigned before Sparda stopped them? Only time will tell.

HpOczFM.gif

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers guys, and especially JumpCancel for expanding on this! Wish I had more to add, but I'm too much of a massive casual. Google-fu was what led me to that quote, not the kind of encyclopedic DMC knowledge others have amassed.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I would imagine if an artificial body was made, it would have been done by a Demon with it's new power. I'm strictly going off of the Manga lore but we won't know if Div 1 and the writing staff want to widen the scope of Demon contracts to humans as well as demons.

If V can summon demons to fight for him, what if he summoned Virgil back to the human world and Virgil left to find enough power to complete his body: In this case Yamato and the power within Nero's arm.

The whole goes deeper.

An artificial body could have been created by a demon, yeah. Possibly by our new big bad or one of their allies, if it came to it. But I only don't eliminate a possible human element only because the Order of the Sword showcased that human groups or individuals in the DMC world are seemingly fully capable of making "artificial demons" in their own right. Maybe not ALL of these types of groups are bad or oriented towards world domination!

I remember theories back on the old place about how it would make sense for the human world to start propping up such organizations, because they can't likely rely on Dante to do it all for them. And well, now Red Grave has gone to hell in a handbasket, so...they'd need all the help they can get!

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers guys, and especially JumpCancel for expanding on this! Wish I had more to add, but I'm too much of a massive casual. Google-fu was what led me to that quote, not the kind of encyclopedic DMC knowledge others have amassed.
Dude you whooped every DMC lore fan on the internet, give a big pat on the back for that one.

Honestly I am not a big DMC lore guy myself. DMC lore never really interested me that much but this it definitely seems like Capcom is going deep into it so we have to pay more attention now.