Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Their food sucks. Didn't help that their spokesperson that they had for like well over a decade turned out to be an unrepentant pedophile.
I really don't get the Jared thing hurting them anymore, iirc they dropped him as soon as they found out. Unless I'm wrong on that?

I mean, it was just insanely bad luck and how could they have possibly known. If they had waited, that's a different story.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of $5 Footlongs was their biggest mistake. If people are going to pay $8-$10 for a sandwich they're going to go elsewhere where the taste is worth the price.

Oct 25, 2017
dunno how much they've declined exactly because they're absolutely everywhere still (even if not usually busy as their peak in the early 10s)but the story is similar in the UK where there are much more choices now. It upped the game of local sandwich initially when they started popping up everwhere but now I'd go if there were no other good option . No way you'd go there when you can get something rom Greggs, a supermarket or a local place for a fair bit less.

A footlong used to be £5 now way more and even a 6 inch will set you back a lot unless you go for the mast basic option. they have reshuffled the menu and breads though so the menu isn't complete slop but still not worth it.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm very grateful for my ex girlfriend for decidedly hating subway and getting me to stop eating that shit. There was one literally around the corner from my university so I ate there a ton, and the fucking lobby smelled like their bread. barfffff.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Their quality has gone to absolute shit while their prices continue to rise year after year after year.

Back in college in 2007 our school had an on-campus Subway I hit like 3x a week. $5 Steak sandwich + banana peppers + black olives + sauces and a bag of chips and I was out for like $7 and had a huge meal - maybe even some for later as a big guy.

I went back a couple years to get one for old time's sake and the same thing was FOURTEEN DOLLARS and the quality of the meat had gone to shit, the portion of meat was smaller, and the black olives were dried out and the lettuce brown.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Subway is the only eatery I ever walked into that smelled like ass each time. And it was only because a friend or family member wanted to get something there, I never once could get myself to eat anything from them.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
It's interesting how so many people like that Subway "bread" smell, and others are repulsed by it. It's almost like cilantro that way. Personally I'm indifferent. Real bread being baked is vastly superior of course, but Subway faux bread doesn't make me gag or anything.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
The prices definitely are what keep me away a lot of the time. Though I will hit up Subway every once in a while because I'm sick of all the other fast food places near me.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I can't believe the prices now. I mean with tax some of the 12 inches are over $10. The "value" appeal of the place is gone now. We go to the local deli now and they make amazing sandwiches for just $5.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I blame the fact they no longer cut the V out of the bread. Also no more subway wallpaper.. 90s subway was the only good subway.
yeah whyd they stop this? Nothin better than a tuna sandwich in a V cut bread bed
kc30ndhqdru61.jpg

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
According to the app, its FOOTLONG FRIDAY today. Aka bogo on footlongs. I think I may go later.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had other sandwich options near me.
No local shops and the the only other place was Jimmy Johns. Which is arguably worse and left town already anyway.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The mid 00's and the late 2010's are very different era's. Folks just have more food options.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Quality of food kept going down while prices kept rising.

I don't remember their bread tasting like plastic 10 years ago.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this would include chipotle? What others are there?
Yeah Chipotle is probably the most successful nationwide. As for others, it depends on where you live as the rest seem to be mostly regional. Where I live in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, there's probably 30ish chains of varying degrees of reach just guessing off the top of my head. Granted some of those are only a couple locations, but others like Cava are pretty common across the DMV.