• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Topic kinda says it all.

Though I guess I've seen Joker and The Batman as well, but aside from that, I don't think I've seen anything from the MCU (aside from maybe half of Black Panther?). But it seems like there's a million of those movies to catch up on. The Spider-Man movies also seem well regarded but I think there's a ton of them as well?

I guess I feel like to get the most out of getting into any of these series/universes(?) there's a ton of movies to watch so that I can enjoy the payoffs that happen later?

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
C77-F939-E-EF1-C-4-B87-A087-52-F4-D508-B2-C4.jpg

Watch these in the order of this list. Keep in mind there are end of credit (and often mid credit) scenes as well which link up the films.

Also recommend watching

Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy
Fox X-Men Saga
Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2

DC

Batman
Batman Returns

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Honestly, it's all in how much you want to be able to understand every reference and cameo and how okay you are with jumping in the middle of a character arc. The MCU has reached the point where it's got the same "problem" as comic books themselves. Either you commit to watching like 30 movies and 5 TV shows or you just jump in on what the most recent thing that sounds interesting to you is and at most watch the things connected to IT.

If you want a "crash course" so to speak, I think...
Captain America: The First Avenger -> Iron Man 1 -> Thor 1 -> Avengers 1
is a neat little four movie arc that will introduce you to the basic foundations of the MCU and from there you can just sorta do whatever you want.

If you want to continue the sort of "main series story" after that it'd be like...
Avengers: Age of Ultron -> Captain America: The Winter Soldier -> Captain America: Civil War -> Guardians of the Galaxy -> Avengers: Infinity War -> Avengers: Endgame

Note that I don't have everything in release order here, just the way I think it flows the best personally. But also note that this is like... MAIN STORY and you'll be constantly running into characters you haven't met yet because you didn't watch their movie or characters will be in situations very different from where you saw them last because you skipped Thor 2 and 3, and so on. If those sorts of things would bother you, then yeah you should just watch them all and get ready for a year of you watching nothing but MCU stuff lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Start with Iron Man 1 for the MCU and just follow the release order (I just checked the MCU Wikipedia page when I was catching up). If you like Spider-Man then watch the 2002 movie and go from there (there are 5 non-MCU ones and 3 MCU ones)

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
With the MCU, because they're all so tightly interconnected, it's tough to recommend any method other than starting with Iron Man and following release order, otherwise you'll lose tons of context by cherry picking individual movies that look interesting to you. Nothing stopping you from doing that of course, because a lot of the films are enjoyable as standalone, but much of the enjoyment factor will be lost.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
MCU: Just watch in release order. Hulk is skippable but no harm in watching it either.

DC: Batman Returns and Batman Begins. You can check out Man of Steel and Batman v Superman if you want to get into Snyders movies. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't. Can either way with those.

Fox/X-Men: X-Men 1, 2, First Class, Days of Future Past and Logan. Can maybe throw in X-Men 3 in there to end that first trilogy but it's not a good movie. Skip on the rest like The Wolverine, Origins: Wolverine, Apocalypse and Phoenix.

Marvel: Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse, Blade 1 & 2, Raimi Spider-Man 1 & 2. 3 if you want to watch a bad movie but for the memes.

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Start from the start with the MCU, can probably skip hulk though.

Watch the first 2 xmen movies
All 3 Raimi spiderman movies
The Punisher (2004)
The first blade movie
The first hellboy movie
Dredd

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think it's definitely worth watching the marathon release order for MCU, at least thru Far From Home, which is the end of Phase 3. Phase 4 is more demanding with all the shows.

You might be happier with something more approachable though? The newest Batman is quite long but very good. The Suicide Squad is also great and there's nothing else you need to watch first. Shazam is all right too, and a lot of people like Wonder Woman and Aquaman (though I don't really care for them). Basically the DC movies are easier to approach and it's safer to pick and choose what looks interesting to you. Joker is worth watching too.

I recommend the Deadpool movies too. They're a bit more fun if you have a couple Fox X-Men movies though those have gotten pretty dated. The first two should be adequate if you decide to go that way, and if you watch those and enjoy them you might also try First Class, Days of Future Past and Logan. Those are all really good.

Into the Spider-Verse and The Lego Batman Movie are both excellent if you want to try something animated. The old Batman: Mask of the Phantasm animated film is a stone cold classic.

There's a few movies beyond the banners of Marvel and DC worth checking out too. I'd recommend Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim vs the World and The Rocketeer. I wouldn't recommend Snyder's Watchmen movie but I highly recommend the HBO series. Peacemaker is also fantastic if you decide to delve into shows as well, but watch The Suicide Squad firsr.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Start with Iron Man 1. Even, if you don't want to watch all of the MCU movies, and tbh you don't need to watch all ( or even most) of them, it still stands as one of the best movies comic book movies.

Watching all 30 MCU movies is kinda overrated. I'd just recommend you pick a hero you're interested in and just watch the movies they appear in. The only thing you miss out on by not watching all of them, is the emotional payoff of some moments in Endgame.

The first two fox x-men movies are worth watching, if only as set up for Logan, which is also one of the best comic book movies. And if you want to see even more x-men watch Days of Future Past, and First Class. The other fox movies are really bad though.

Finally, watch the Rami spider Trilogy as well as Into The SpiderVerse.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Are you against animated movies? The Batman (And most DC) animated movies are awesome and quite mature content wise. https://www.cinemablend.com/news/18...tions-10th-anniversary-set-from-worst-to-best

List missing Batman: Mask of the Phantasm too which is probably among the best.

Deadpool and the Spiderman movies are a must. Some of the MCU films I found really hit and miss but they're still 'chewing gum for the eyes' when not amazing. Guardians Of The Galaxy films are standalone and a must.

Last edited:

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Honestly I would just start with some origin movies Into the Spider-verse, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, or stand alone movies like THE Suicide Squad or Dredd. Trying to jump into Marathoning 22 Marvel movies plus add in a few DC movies you're committing to a ton of hours you're not that interested in right now.

Watch a few origin movies if you like them watch the sequels, if you like any new heroes featured in the sequels seek out their solo movies. From there if you're hooked start your massive Marathon undertaking.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
As others said, MCU is best watched in release order, while DC is more flexible.

Batman vs Superman should be watched before Justice League, and I'd say go straight to the Snyder Cut on HBO Max for JL if you can. It's much improved over the original release.

If you want humor to break up the generally serious superhero tone, Deadpool and its sequel, and the Suicide Squad movies, are good, and the most recent SS is worth seeing before the excellent Peacemaker show.

And then after the movies, you have all the TV series. The Punisher is great, so is Peacemaker. Disney's are good. Agents of Shield is an under-appreciated show too.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Snowpiercer by Bong Joon-ho is excellent. It's based on French post-acopalyptic climate graphic novel. I haven't seen the TV-show, so no comments on that.

Kick-Ass by Matthew Vaughn is super fun, with Nic Cage and Chloe Moretz stealing the show as dad and daughter super hero duo.
You can pass on the sequel though.

By writing assistance from the Wachowski sisters, James McTeigue directed great adaptation of V for Vendetta. It's bit streamlined from the original story, but faithful to it's themes.

Road to Perdition could be the comic book movie with most gorgeous cinematography. As you can expect from Sam Mendes.

From the MCU stuff Taika Waititi's Thor Ragnarok is worth a watch for it's humour and Winter Soldier by Russo brothers for it's action. These two are the standouts of the Marvel bunch.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Snowpiercer by Bong Joon-ho is excellent. It's based on French post-acopalyptic climate graphic novel. I haven't seen the TV-show, so no comments on that.

Kick-Ass by Matthew Vaughn is super fun, with Nic Cage and Chloe Moretz stealing the show as dad and daughter super hero duo.
You can pass on the sequel though.
Yes indeed. Agreed on the KA sequel.

The Snowpiercer TV show really exceeded our expectations. You should check it out. We haven't seen S3 yet though.