• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yup. Since this one is going around the physio coffee breaks atm I figured I may as well share it here.

When I was a young kid I thought the Velociraptor from Jurassic Park was the coolest shit. That clip, where you see under the kitchen bits with the feet? The coolest shit.

So, I literally started walking on the balls of my feet to emulate that as I thought it was cool. Like, I wasn't going around in faux-heels in public or anything but I had a lot of spare time growing up in rural England as a pretty introverted only child with an overactive imagination.

Anyway, fast-forward to me now being 30 and having knee problems and never having thought about a raptor much since those dumb days as a kid. So I go to the physio and the woman there asks me why I walk mainly on the balls of my feet when I tread instead of the heel. I'm like "huh?" but sure enough as soon as I'm on an incline or step, balls of the feet, feet arched and heel raised up. Like it's subtle but when you slow the pace down you can notice it when I step as my heel often barely hits the floor, just lightly brushing it.

I could go back and slap the VHS right out of the box.

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a few months of physio but I legitimately can't believe I've got to do this because I wanted to walk like a raptor as a kid.

edit: I didn't know there were so many other raptors on this forum. I should note that the walking style exacerbates/irritates/provokes some other issue I have. Both can be sorted by following the exercises for a few months it seems, and there's no longer-term damage. Just when the two currently collide they're a doozy if you're out and about.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing to be ashamed of everyone I know walked like a raptor after Jurassic Park.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah shit, I apparently have to look up YouTube tutorials on how to walk, because I walk on the balls of my feet too. I do it to be quiet, though I do have to admit that raptors are pretty cool.

I haven't had any knee issues yet at age 31.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried getting someone to kick you out a window using gymnastics?

It's a common physical therapy technique to help those with Raptor Knee.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I walk mostly on the front of my feet when my shoes are off (for very different reasons than OP) and have no knee problems, despite being much older than OP. What you do is weird but I wouldn't be that quick to pin the knee problems on it.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I did something similar because I wanted to be Solid Snake. I did a lot of toe walking in my youth. I got beautiful calves now though. Not many knee problems, but my feet are all fucked up.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Listen to me very carefully OP: NEVER EVER EVER watch "The Arrival" (1996) with Charlie Sheen.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should.
It fits so well.

Have you tried getting someone to kick you out a window using gymnastics?

It's a common physical therapy technique to help those with Raptor Knee.

I'll recommend this the next time I see her. I'm not sure if she's trained to administer it but hopefully someone there will be. Thanks for sharing.

I walk mostly on the front of my feet when my shoes are off (for very different reasons than OP) and have no knee problems, despite being much older than OP. What you do is weird but I wouldn't be that quick to pin the knee problems on it.
It's definitely only a contributing factor, it's just been exacerbating the issue when it presents. Mainly became present as new job has a long stationary commute and often long sedentary meetings.

Well better than "I wanted to be a T-rex and now I can't reach shit..."
I feel for the people that made different life choices.

It could've been worse. Thankfully you were a...clever girl.

Am dead.

We've all been there OP
I appreciate you.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Bruh, I had a tip toes phase when I was a kid as well, I think it was just more comfortable? Though I absolutely did want to be a beast-woman so maybe a bit of that. One of my teachers used to call me "fairy" because of it which I thought was a bit off, even then.
I've noticed my niece has a similar tiptoes habit. All I've ever heard though is it shortens your calf tendons and so does a lifestyle of sitting a lot. My knees are fine so far.
I try to offset it by doing stretches like where you try to touch your toes with your legs straight

Oct 25, 2017
I also often do this while going up steps but it's because the damn steps are too short to fit my whole feet so it's just more comfortable to raptor walk. But I did do a bunch of it for fun with my neighbor as a kid.

On a related note, here's a fun little thing I found online recently that's sort of a game demo of the raptor kitchen scene. More of a tech demo from a single dude. No real objective or way to win, but fun to fiddle around with for maybe 6 minutes.

Same dude did something similar for the T-rex escape:

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who in their right mind would not use the ball end when using stairs or walking up an incline? I use that technique when jogging.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Bruh, I had a tip toes phase when I was a kid as well, I think it was just more comfortable? Though I absolutely did want to be a beast-woman so maybe a bit of that. One of my teachers used to call me "fairy" because of it which I thought was a bit off, even then.
I've noticed my niece has a similar tiptoes habit. All I've ever heard though is it shortens your calf tendons and so does a lifestyle of sitting a lot. My knees are fine so far.
I try to offset it by doing stretches like where you try to touch your toes with your legs straight
My people.

They're trying to take her from me.

I often do this while going up steps but it's because the damn steps are too short to fit my whole feet so it's just more comfortable to raptor walk. But I did do a bunch of it for fun with my neighbor as a kid.

On a related note, here's a fun little thing I found online recently that's sort of a game demo of the raptor kitchen scene. More of a tech demo from a single dude. No real objective or way to win, but fun to fiddle around with for maybe 6 minutes.

Same dude did something similar for the T-rex escape:
I feel you. Some choose the raptor life, others are forced into it. Thanks for the links this looks neat, though I'm not sure my physio coach will appreciate you feeding the habit.

Who in their right mind would not use the ball end when using stairs or walking up an incline? I use that technique when jogging.
I mean, right? I think it's more that as I do it naturally so even on an incline it becomes exaggerated. I use that technique in everything lmao

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for posting this.

My 3 year old girl loves dinosaurs, we play together a lot. She is usually a T.Rex and I'm whatever she asks me to be but she is always walking like that and doing those small T Rex arms and roaring...it's adorable but I'll ask her to not walk around with her feet like that anymore.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was supposed to be better for you. There was a whole trend of running on the balls of your feet at one point because it was supposed to be healthier and legs were less prone to injury.

You cant run barefoot on your heels for instance.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
At least you didn't fake having poor eyesight as a child in over to get prescription glasses because you thought wearing glasses was cool, only for the prescription glasses to actually fuck up your eyes, making wearing them actually necessary.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My cousin did this from age like 3 through 14. He had to have surgery because his tendons were so tight.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
At least you didn't fake having poor eyesight as a child in over to get prescription glasses because you thought wearing glasses was cool, only for the prescription glasses to actually fuck up your eyes, making wearing them actually necessary.
Creating a degenerative condition that has reversed two seperate laser eye surgeries.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish people would do the T. Rex pose right.

Hands need to be like you're holding a basketball, not begging like a dog.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Since this one is going around the physio coffee breaks atm I figured I may as well share it here.

When I was a young kid I thought the Velociraptor from Jurassic Park was the coolest shit. That clip, where you see under the kitchen bits with the feet? The coolest shit.

So, I literally started walking on the balls of my feet to emulate that as I thought it was cool. Like, I wasn't going around in faux-heels in public or anything but I had a lot of spare time growing up in rural England as a pretty introverted only child with an overactive imagination.

Anyway, fast-forward to me now being 30 and having knee problems and never having thought about a raptor much since those dumb days as a kid. So I go to the physio and the woman there asks me why I walk mainly on the balls of my feet when I tread instead of the heel. I'm like "huh?" but sure enough as soon as I'm on an incline or step, balls of the feet. Like it's subtle but when you slow the pace down you can notice it when I step as my heel often barely hits the floor, just lightly brushing it.

I could go back and slap the VHS right out of the box.

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a few months of physio but I legitimately can't believe I've got to do this because I wanted to walk like a raptor as a kid.

clever girl

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Forefoot strikers are not uncommon, in fact a bunch of elite runners are forefoot or midfoot strikers. There was a fad a few years back pushing people to switch to forefoot. Barefoot/minimalist sneakers tend to be forefoot strikers.