• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
So first thing i'd like to say is overall i liked the game, quite a bit actually, but i do have some issues with the game. First lets discuss the good.

Amazing setting. The world and design are second to none. The technical achievement is something to behold. That sense of wonder, that you can explore any corner when ever you want is a great piece of game design. The combat is fun, even though its a bit thin. I think the shrines are brilliant. I saw this as an early criticism i thought it was the right decision to make them bit sized rather than the huge dungeon. Getting around the world feels great. I personally loved climbing.

Now for the bad. The credits have just rolled and i'm left with the feeling, is that it? The game ends on a wet fart with a totally brain dead final boss and an utterly rubbish conclusion to the story. Which is fine, you know what you're getting into story wise with a zelda game. The divine beasts, although look great, are dull missions with utterly poor bosses that are all so similar i couldn't distinguish anything between them. The powers you get from beating each divine beat leave you incredibly OP. The one you get from beating the camel one is so OP it nearly breaks the game. After i got all four beasts the game just stopped being a challenge. At this point i had seen all the puzzle types and i was able to figure them out really quickly.

I'm just left bewildered that this is the game that got some many accolades last year. I just don't see it doing anything really differently, its just a zelda game built on some tired gameplay mechanics. I mean towers?? come on. I had no idea they were in the game and my eye balls hit the back of my skull when i realised this was how you unlocked the map. This game didn't really make me smile or made me fell like i achieved anything, it just washed over me.

Oh and weapon degradation is totally pointless.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What do you get from beating the camel? Legit forget. I loved the jumpy floaty power from bird. First one I go for in my subsequent plays.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
The weapon system in the game is one of the worse things I've ever experienced in a video game.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
What do you get from beating the camel? Legit forget. I loved the jumpy floaty power from bird. First one I go for in my subsequent plays.

I think it's the lightning strike one. Urbosa's Rage or something like that. It is very powerful.

My thoughts on the game, it was great while I played it, I got bored pretty quickly though. The world, while beautiful, felt very empty. I have no desire to ever go back to it.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with you OP.

While the Open world was impeccably crafted, I ultimately found it empty and uninteresting. Weapon degradation was absolutely awful to me. It breaks the flow of combat something fierce.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree OP. I think the game is fine, but nowhere close to a 10/10.

Same, it was a solid 8/10 for me and 9th on my GOTY list last year.

I just have major open world fatigue and I'm not big on exploration. So in some sense that's a testament to it's quality that I liked it that much despite that. But overall I strongly prefer the OoT formula. I hope the sequel at least adds a good number of more traditional dungeons to the mix (they don't have to have item specific puzzles, as those are my favorite part of the series.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weapon degradation isn't pointless, it turns weapons into a resource that you have to manage, meaning you can't just get one powerful weapon early on and completely break the balance of the entire game forever. Ymmv on whether you like this system or not (and it's certainly easy to break the game in other ways) but to say it has no purpose is flat out wrong.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
It was okay. I loved the world and exploring it. Everything else in the game was simply 'meh' to me.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I agree OP. Didnt l fall in love with the game and it never felt like a masterpiece that many claim it is.

I enjoyed it but its not a 10/10 in my book.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok if this is not the best game you ever played, not every game needs to be. Imo, it's one of the best ever. The story is quite charming, specially because of the cast, and I think the ending was quite fitting if you take in consideration that Hyrule was totally screwed to begin with. What would be an acceptable conclusion, in your opinion?
Well, it got all the accolades because it deserved them, simple as that. If it didnt clicked with you the way it clicked with most other players, well, there are always other great games out there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I agree about the bosses and the ending, but:

This is completely wrong IMO. Weapon degradation was absolutely essential to making the combat feel fun, because it encouraged you to try out different ways of killing enemies. It makes it so that every encounter is a min-max games- you want the maximum reward for the minimum amount of weapon degradation, so you plan your encounters to accomplish this.

It honestly made the combat incredibly fun.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game of all time. I can understand that certain aspects of it might not be for everyone though. It's probably the one game
I wish I could erase memory of and experience completely fresh again and again. It's a game where I do feel like the journey is more rewarding than the conclusion. That being said, the final boss of the DLC is the best boss in the game.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The first 30 hours is really, really great. After that it kinda goes down hill, because it becomes easier, lack of variety, the combat becomes a bit boring. Eventide island really represents the best part of the game in my opinion. But I think the base is great, a sequel with much more emphasis on environmental puzzles, dungeons and survival will be great.

The best part of the world is how interactive it is. I think that is probably the biggest reason why it got many accolades. The downside is that the world is way too big, for no reason.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Game deserved all the accolades it got. Just because you think the game is flawed doesn't mean it shouldn't have. All games have flaws. The only thing that matters is if the positive aspects of the game are that much more important to you, that the flaws it might have don't matter that much to you. Some of my favorite games are deeply flawed and despite this i consider them masterpieces.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
How can you tell if someone wasn't blown away by BotW? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Lol I laughed. :)

I loved the game, it was the absolute perfect meld of th original game in a modern way.

And the greatest thing is that it's just a baseline. There is so much room for tightening up the formula for sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
I love your username.

And I agree a lot with your criticisms. Recently beat the DLC and it was just a slog at times. Have said it before, but the first 15-20 or so hours of the game are magical, for lack of a better word. After that it just drops off a cliff though.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The sheer amount of people who have issues with this games review scores are gloriously baffling.
I thought reviews relevance and amount of importance were trending downwards over the past few years but clearly not!

Every one of these threads is exactly the same:
I heard this game was perfect, but guess what! I had problems with it!

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I had some problems with the game too OP (the divine beasts being huge disappointments being the biggest one). But, for me, the sense of discovery and exploration was so strong that I was pretty forgiving. That overworld is just so beautiful and it's such a joy to explore. But, next time, I want to see better dungeons. And a way to climb effectively in the rain.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't think there's a game out there that did weapon degradtion better than BoTW.

It straight up encourages you to try out all types of shit, and it makes finding powerful weapons feel more satisfying.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I agree about the bosses and the ending, but:

This is completely wrong IMO. Weapon degradation was absolutely essential to making the combat feel fun, because it encouraged you to try out different ways of killing enemies. It makes it so that every encounter is a min-max games- you want the maximum reward for the minimum amount of weapon degradation, so you plan your encounters to accomplish this.

It honestly made the combat incredibly fun.

This may be the intent, but it's not the practice. Like, don't even lie. Weapons are thrown out like candy, why do I care if my weapon breaks? I have about 20 other swords and spears ready to go. And, whatever enemy I kill will drop their weapon as well. Weapon degradation sucks, just let me choose what I want to use and allow me to be smarter enough to choose how to use things. MGSV is just as free-form and creative with its gameplay but doesn't force you to use tools you don't want to. At the very least they could've kept degradation but not made it as quick and showed some stat so you know how much hits a weapon has left.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have close the 300 hours in the game and never had to constantly do this. Hyperbole is a stinky cologne.
Eh, I mean you do have to use the quick menu fairly often. The good thing is it is pretty fast and snappy, but it is inevitable that weapons will break during battle and you will bring up the quick menu to switch to another weapon. Same goes for arrows if you need a different arrow type, or shields, etc.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I agree, but even still, you are pretty generous with Breath of the Wild. It is heavily flawed. There's greatness and it shines through but the lack of story or meaningful characters or bosses, average combat, and as you point out, the weapon degradation adds literally nothing as far a gameplay. It's almost unthinkable that a game with so many serious issues would be scored at an average of 9.7/10 but that happened last year somehow... exploration and traversal are truly great but the rest of it... is not.

I completely agree OP. I think the game is fine, but nowhere close to a 10/10.

I'd argue that the game is closer to an 8/10.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The review scores this game got was insane, very overrated. So is the oddysey.
Both great games that deserve high 80s, but not high 90s.

Im starting to believe that the nintendo bump is real at this point.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's a game out there that did weapon degradtion better than BoTW.

It straight up encourages you to try out all types of shit, and it makes finding powerful weapons feel more satisfying.

yeah but those so called " powerful weapons " arent powerful at all they also break after like 10 hits making any weapons you find in the game pretty much just junk. would be cool if you could upgrade these weapons make them even more durable ilke dark souls does but nope. everything is trash tier

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i really like botw but i wouldn't give it the 10s like the critics do....most a 8.5 from me.

my pros:
- ability to climb everywhere is GOAT ability
- excellent level design
- great 'flow'
- great artstyle and 'feel'

my cons:
- rubbish story
- disappointing bosses (same as OP: "That's it?" feeling
- combat is too basic
- overemphasize on the physics puzzle in the shrines
- lack of balance...it's too easy overall in terms of difficulty...link is just too op.
- cooking mechanics is undercooked
- Raining

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
We can pick apart the game until we're blue in the face. I'm sure there will be various gripes based on preferences and such. I share some of the same gripes with you OP (Bosses / Divine Beast dungeons for example). However, as a sum of all it's parts, Zelda Breath of the Wild is an absolute masterpiece. It is not hype. Shit will be copied and used as a bar for game design for many years to come.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first hours of the game - like, 20 or so, up until you beat your first Divine Beast or whatever you did - is pure magic. One of the best executions of an open world exploration formula in gaming history.

But it falls apart at the end, yeah. The difficulty curve is backwards, the shrines are all kinda samey, the weapon and enemy variety is slim. Even so... goddamn, those first hours.

In the end though, yeah, Odyssey was GOTY for me.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Constantly having to open the quick menu to equip a new one is beyond annoying though. Really needed a "auto equip next weapon option".

It's not just the quick menu that sucks. The game's UI is bad, period. It seems like it would have been great with some kind of second touch-screen interface to select gear and items. I've played a lot of games with UI issues but Zelda's is notably bad and it forces you to interact with it, a lot.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
OP is really breaking new ground here in terms of complaints of BotW....
Lol I laughed. :)

I loved the game, it was the absolute perfect meld of th original game in a modern way.

And the greatest thing is that it's just a baseline. There is so much room for tightening up the formula for sequel.
this is what makes me most excited. BotW is my favorite game in my favorite series and I still can list so many ways I'd improve it. The future of Zelda looks so bright.

How can you tell if someone wasn't blown away by BotW? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Lol true. Admittedly, I wasn't completely "blown away" at first either. The greatness of the game just gradually crept up on me the more time I spent in the world and before I knew it I had put 200 hours in and would *still* dive back in. They really struck gold with the new formula, the player is always engaged, unlike past Zeldas with pacing issues. Polish it up with more dungeon and enemy variety, and more rich lore and it'd unquestionably be my GOAT, BotW's almost there.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game ever made. Glad you liked it.

The game literally can't exist as is without the weapon degradation.

I'm just left bewildered that this is the game that got some many accolades last year. I just don't see it doing anything really differently, its just a zelda game built on some tired gameplay mechanics. I mean towers?? come on. I had no idea they were in the game and my eye balls hit the back of my skull when i realised this was how you unlocked the map. This game didn't really make me smile or made me fell like i achieved anything, it just washed over me.

Yep. The review scores this game got was insane, very overrated. So is the oddysey.
Both great games that deserve high 80s, but not high 90s.

Im starting to believe that the nintendo bump is real at this point.
Or... you know, different opinions and all that. But no, let's go with Belda. We definitely needed another thread full of that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This may be the intent, but it's not the practice. Like, don't even lie. Weapons are thrown out like candy, why do I care if my weapon breaks? I have about 20 other swords and spears ready to go. And, whatever enemy I kill will drop their weapon as well. Weapon degradation sucks, just let me choose what I want to use and allow me to be smarter enough to choose how to use things. MGSV is just as free-form and creative with its gameplay but doesn't force you to use tools you don't want to. At the very least they could've kept degradation but not made it as quick and showed some stat so you know how much hits a weapon has left.

I mean, I completely disagree. Sure, you can brute force your way through combat, it gives you the tools for that. But the idea of the Plateau tutorial area is to get you accustomed to approaching combat in this min-max way, so that you continue doing that through the rest of the game. Maybe it didn't work for you, I'm not claiming it will work for everyone, but it worked wonderfully for me. I absolutely adored the combat in this game, simply because you had so many options at any one time, and the majority of the time your plans fell apart and you had to think on the fly.

Sure, the melee combat mechanics are quite simple, but that's only one small part of combat. The weapon durability encouraged you to play the game with this mindset. It didn't force you to, though maybe it should've, judging by the reactions of people who disagree with me.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What an odd comparison.

BoTW is much more free form than MGSV is at the start.

You're forced to do various things in MGSV before it actually opens up, and there is a pretty tedious progression system that amounts to nothing to go along with that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I talked about this above, but it's also for balance, especially in the early game. They wanted the payer to be able to find powerful weapons early on as a reward for exploration in dangerous places, but didn't want that reward to completely ruin the balance of the game. Weapon degradation is one method of solving this problem, so now that powerful weapon you found is a limited tool that you have to carefully consider when and how to use it. Obviously this falls apart mid to late game, when you have access to lots of powerful weapons at once, but enemies also get more powerful to compensate and that balance is more important to maintain in the early game