• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
This is in itself such a bullshit argument.
You can try and explain the reasons for weapon degradation with a 60-page handwritten book but that still does not in any way invalidate a player's experience.
Your explanation isn't going to make the OP suddenly enjoy the fact that his weapons keep breaking. There could be myriad of ways to try and motivate the player to experiment with different weapons and playing styles that don't incite this same kind of response.

The fact that you honestly feel the explanation essays should mean that this shouldn't be a discussion anymore, tells me you're completely unable to view this issue from both angles.

Maybe it won't make him enjoy the game more, but at the very least Op can try and see why it was implemented and respect the game design instead of saying "it was pointless". It's not pointless. It was a deliberate design choice.

Either it's not like OP is saying anything new that BOTW detractors haven't been regurgitating since launch.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The more I read threads like this, the more I wonder if there are some fundamental differences of playstyle that inform how people experience the BoTW. Like, how did everybody else play the game? Did you ever use a guide? Were you a completionist? A hoarder? How much time did you put in before going for the final boss?

For example, I'm usually a compeltionist, and I often get hooked on using a walkthrough in order to make sure I don't miss anything. But with BoTW, I changed the way I usually play and it made the game much more fun.

On the other hand, I don't want the game to end, so I'm avoiding fighting Ganon, even though I feel like I've had enough at this point.

The truth is, there's no wrong way to play a game, but some playstyles tend to really run against the grain of the way the game was designed, and tend to be less fun.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be blasphemy, Aonuma has outright cited Far Cry as an inspiration :P
Really?! Ha! Well I guess Im not crazy pants.

I'd like to see a Zelda in modern settings with guns
Eff yes!

Oh well I don't think he meant that most games wi copy them going forward but will rather look at them to see how they can approach challenges and objectives in their own games, such as incorporating systems to allow for different solutions or more interactivity with the open world itself.

No, that's fine. I don't think you're alone on that. I can't say too much on that as I haven't played TOO much of Far Cry but I can see the comparison. I mean, Aounuma himself pointed towards several Western games as inspiration so this doesn't exactly shock me
Aonuma definitely put his own spin on it. I am curious how it all plays out. I do think as we approach photo realism graphics, developers are going to start catching up gameplay systems in new and exciting ways. Im ready for it.

Yep. I mean I get the appeal of that stuff, games like Minecraft with all the building and crafting and freedom, or people who like to just dick around in GTA or Far Cry games causing chaos for hours.

It's just not my cup of tea. I'm mostly two types of gamers--one who love linear, narrative driven, cinematic games that are as much interactive movies as they are games and the other who likes pure action-based gameplay focused things (MP games, fighters, arcade games) with no traversal etc.
Yeah, I never saw the appeal of Minecraft. Never played one minute of it actually. I don't like to dick around in games either. I want to move the football so to speak. Just playing around with assets is about as enthralling as watching paint dry. Maybe fun for a minute for the novelty, but otherwise, meh.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is in itself such a bullshit argument.
You can try and explain the reasons for weapon degradation with a 60-page handwritten book but that still does not in any way invalidate a player's experience.
Your explanation isn't going to make the OP suddenly enjoy the fact that his weapons keep breaking. There could be myriad of ways to try and motivate the player to experiment with different weapons and playing styles that don't incite this same kind of response.

The fact that you honestly feel the explanation essays should mean that this shouldn't be a discussion anymore, tells me you're completely unable to view this issue from both angles.

Exactly. I don't need to articulate why I didn't like it beyond I don't tend to like the combat in these type of games and hate fucking around with different weapons. Even games like Monster Hunter I usually pick one weapon, maybe 2 (as having a ranged option makes some fights way easier to solo), unlike the diehards that master several.

I liked Zelda for it's simplicity. Basic sword and shield, and that's it other than some items that you mostly only use against one boss. The dungeons and puzzles in the were the draw of the series for me. That said, most BOTW weapons are so samey, it didn't really add much complexity and I mostly just stuck with broad swords and claymores anyway. So it wasn't a big negative to me or anything.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally not a problem unless you make it a problem.
That's a nothing response that literally be applied to any complaint about anything.

It's literally a problem for anyone who thinks it's a problem. I thought it was one of the worst parts of the game. And with as many people that have been complaining about it since day one it's obviously not that uncommon.

Oct 26, 2017
Aonuma definitely put his own spin on it. I am curious how it all plays out. I do think as we approach photo realism graphics, developers are going to start catching up gameplay systems in new and exciting ways. Im ready for it.
I certainly hope so. BoTW is one of the few times where I legitimately felt as if, I wanted to do something within the game, so as long as I had the tool for it, it would work. With other games, developers have been able to have more dense, detailed, and active cities and characters, making them feel more alive. The advancements we're seeing is pretty exciting for me

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I never saw the appeal of Minecraft. Never played one minute of it actually. I don't like to dick around in games either. I want to move the football so to speak. Just playing around with assets is about as enthralling as watching paint dry. Maybe fun for a minute for the novelty, but otherwise, meh.

I stupidly bought Minecraft on Switch this winter and even more dumbly bought DQ Builders after that thinking the story focus would get me engaged. Nope. That type of stuff just isn't for me.

I was more just desperate for some things to play on Switch as nothing since Mario (and nothing with a firm release date currently) has any interest to me (talking exclusives, any multiplats I'll get on PS4/PC as I don't care for portability). I've just accepted my Switch will be like my Wii and Wii U and mostly gather dust most of the year between the 2-3 releases that interest me and occasional rounds of Splatoon and Mario Kart.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stupidly bought Minecraft on Switch this winter and even more dumbly bought DQ Builders after that thinking the story focus would get me engaged. Nope. That type of stuff just isn't for me.

I was more just desperate for some things to play on Switch as nothing since Mario (and nothing with a firm release date currently) has any interest to me (talking exclusives, any multiplats I'll get on PS4/PC as I don't care for portability). I've just accepted my Switch will be like my Wii and Wii U and mostly gather dust most of the year between the 2-3 releases that interest me and occasional rounds of Splatoon and Mario Kart.
I suggest Xenoblade! It's linear open, story based, and you might like it :P

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly hope so. BoTW is one of the few times where I legitimately felt as if, I wanted to do something within the game, so as long as I had the tool for it, it would work. With other games, developers have been able to have more dense, detailed, and active cities and characters, making them feel more alive. The advancements we're seeing is pretty exciting for me
This was my biggest disappointment. People kept telling me this, and it didn't end up being true. I just wanted to chop down a moblin camp by hitting the struts!

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? I can't wait. I think next gen we are finally going to see some real innovations in this respect due to the better memory and tech. Gameplay, for the most part, really hasn't changed much over the last decade, but for a few examples. I think we start seeing some cool and interesting stuff due to technical advancements not taking a toll on the tech as much. But who knows?

For sure its been a slow 2018 for Switch after they came out guns blazin in 2017. There are a few games I have my eye on that might be cool.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You were a OP beastly warrior before sleeping for 100 hundred years.

Once you've beaten the four beasts you become that beast again.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe it won't make him enjoy the game more, but at the very least Op can try and see why it was implemented and respect the game design instead of saying "it was pointless". It's not pointless. It was a deliberate design choice.

Either it's not like OP is saying anything new that BOTW detractors haven't been regurgitating since launch.
I think people are missing to the point to why I thought it was pointless. As another poster mentioned the weapons are trivial. I never got attached to a single one. One broke I got another, I mashed y monsters died. It gets to a point when you've got such an Arsenal of weapons that when one breaks it doesn't matter you've got loads more. They are in such abundance and the move set so similar between them that switching between them means nothing, to me anyway, everything feels the same.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suggest Xenoblade! It's linear open, story based, and you might like it :P

Nope. I put 30 hours into the first one on N3DS and had to walk away. The story and characters didn't grab me and I hated the combat (I generally hate turn based games, as well as complex systems with leveling up and optimizing builds and party compositions etc.). I also hate anime-ish stuff so the sequel is very off-putting to me on top of that.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I put 30 hours into the first one on N3DS and had to walk away. The story and characters didn't grab me and I hated the combat (I generally hate turn based games, as well as complex systems with leveling up and optimizing builds and party compositions etc.). I also hate anime-ish stuff so the sequel is very off-putting to me on top of that.
Well, the anime stuff is worse in this game than ever before, but hating the first one isn't necessarily an indication you will hate this one. In fact, for example, Aigis had disliked all the other ones in the series so far too, but he really likes this new one. Also, the combat isn't turn based either, so that should help.
But, like I said- super anime, so that could be a deal breaker in and of itself.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm about 52ish hours into the game, and it always feels like there's no end in sight. I have one more Divine Beast to reach, and maybe I'll get there. I think the shrines all feel pretty rewarding and are intriguing to discover and conquer. I think Breath of the Wild asked a lot of me in terms of what I want open world design to be. I'm getting older, and suffering through combat in the beginning actually felt daunting. As I learned more about the combat mechanics, I found which weapons I enjoyed before they broke and which ones I couldn't seem to utilize well. I think the most ingenious thing about the weapon degradation system was that it has forced me to try everything I've found, which never happens. And I don't mind it, even if it raises the stakes when a weapon falls apart.

I've played and enjoyed a ton of open world games. What some players deride as window dressing, I heartily enjoy and live in. I think the most offputting thing for me regarding BotW is that my ability to explore never feels entirely on my terms. I hate to say this, and Anouma would probably berate me, but I wish there was an Easy mode option. I've spent so much time discovering new places, walking around, and even going out of my way to climb all the towers to uncover all of the map. But I can't seem to go where I want without stumbling and fumbling into combat. And I will say that I love the feeling that my Link is growing stronger as I explore and complete shrines, but I also am the type that wants to explore at will. Combat always feels like an obstruction in the way for me - the bosses I've conquered to unlock powers have felt like a good challenge, but I'm speaking to dynamic encounters in the open world.

And for all the basick, yet slay Horizon asides, I beat Horizon after 80ish hours on the Story setting. I loved the structured narrative, but the same feelings I have regarding combat apply. Every little bit I traverse on the map, I can't get far without encountering enemies from all directions. Yes, it's easier to use stealth and avoid the encounters, but the fact remains that the leveling system seems to revolve around destroying machines, or platforming challenges/collection. I think BotW narrative's structure is a good change of pace, I don't feel like I'm restricted to mission markers or quest objectives, but I'm free to really try to unlock new Story cutscenes as I go, and it seems like it's also easy to miss some of the narrative if you don't fully commit to it.

I enjoy open worlds of all types, Bethesda/Rockstar/Ubisoft etc. I think BotW genuinely makes some incredible choices with physics puzzles, useful weapons to master and fun places to explore. For all the hate that Ubisoft gets for the AC checklist of "?'s" littered on the map screen, in some ways I feel like I'm doing that with finding shrines without a map. I've been one to favor the rigidity of "Story" missions in a Rockstar game just to see what types of cinematic linear objectives can be accomplished in a more open environment. But I think BotW is a game that I'll spend years playing slowly, bit by bit. I think the art style is jaw dropping, and even with my frustrations of how combat is utilized in presenting a dynamic open world, I feel like it's a game that I have loved and will continue to appreciate.

Great post. You get it.

Don't worry about the combat, you'll get it eventually. It took me a while and now I can make this game fucking sing! At the 500 hour point, I'm still learning, and still have so much to see and do! This game is the gift that keeps on giving! I also play games slow and soak every bit in so this game is a dream come true for me. In fact it's almost all I want to play, and that's not to say there isn't a TON of other awesome games I wanna play, but BOTW just ended up really really clicking for me. And I thought I was disappointed in it for a bit!

Ps. You are playing easy mode ;) Master Mode is the true difficulty. Don't worry, I could argue I didn't even get the combat until I was playing my second game on Master Mode. So we're looking at 320+ hours of not really knowing what I was doing. And again, I'm still learning the intricacies of it all.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The first person I've met here who likes Skyward Sword, aside from myself :P
Put me in that club. Fantastic game. Much like BotW, it's issues (pacing, backtracking, filler) didn't really hinder me from enjoying it's strengths (Dungeon design, inventive Wiimote uses for items, OST, narrative). I'd put it above OOT and TP actually.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the anime stuff is worse in this game than ever before, but hating the first one isn't necessarily an indication you will hate this one. In fact, for example, Aigis had disliked all the other ones in the series so far too, but he really likes this new one. Also, the combat isn't turn based either, so that should help.
But, like I said- super anime, so that could be a deal breaker in and of itself.

Yeah, that's definitely a deal breaker. It's also long as hell and I mostly stay alway from long, story driven games. I also quit Persona 5 after 50 hours. If I'm going to put more than 30-40 hours into a game it's generally something more gameplay focused and addictive like Monster Hunter and Destiny.

In any case, I'm fine with the Switch gathering dust for a while as I've got plenty to play with God of War, Monster Hunter and Destiny 2 having bigish content updates next month and a small PSVR and Steam backlog to get to. :D

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely a deal breaker. It's also long as hell and I mostly stay alway from long, story driven games. I also quit Persona 5 after 50 hours. If I'm going to put more than 30-40 hours into a game it's generally something more gameplay focused and addictive like Monster Hunter and Destiny.

In any case, I'm fine with the Switch gathering dust for a while as I've got plenty to play with God of War, Monster Hunter and Destiny 2 having bigish content updates next month and a small PSVR and Steam backlog to get to. :D
That's true as well, there's enough coming out that you shouldn't feel the need to force yourself to play something out of some sense of obligation to a gaming platform lol :P

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
People don't want to see that the lack of bosses and dungeons it's an important issue.
Are you really ok with the dungeons and bosses that BOTW has? They seem to me of a poverty that did not pass unnoticed compared to their predecessors, even portable Zelda games has better of both.
The bosses could've been better (I'm actually mainly just talking about their designs, Blights were too samey)

But the Divine Beasts? They make up for their short length and similar aesthetics with some utterly fantastic puzzles and music.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bosses could've been better (I'm actually mainly just talking about their designs, Blights were too samey)

But the Divine Beasts? They make up for their short length and similar aesthetics with some utterly fantastic puzzles and music.
Also the Divine Beasts battles are the traditional Zelda boss battles anyway

Oct 26, 2017
Right? I can't wait. I think next gen we are finally going to see some real innovations in this respect due to the better memory and tech. Gameplay, for the most part, really hasn't changed much over the last decade, but for a few examples. I think we start seeing some cool and interesting stuff due to technical advancements not taking a toll on the tech as much. But who knows?
I actually don't necessarily agree with that. I think we've seen plenty of innovations and improvements to games over the generations, including gameplay. Detailed, dense, and living cities like what we see in modern open world games, fun polished online games that are smooth on a level we couldn't experience over 10 years back, and physics and systems that are polished to a shine. I can only imagine what we're going to see going forward

This was my biggest disappointment. People kept telling me this, and it didn't end up being true. I just wanted to chop down a moblin camp by hitting the struts!
Well every game has its limits :P

I would've certainly loved to affect actual buildings and structures but that might be too beyond even systems like the PS4 and XB1

Put me in that club. Fantastic game. Much like BotW, it's issues (pacing, backtracking, filler) didn't really hinder me from enjoying it's strengths (Dungeon design, inventive Wiimote uses for items, OST, narrative). I'd put it above OOT and TP actually.
Yeah, I feel that the game sometimes doesn't get enough credit for what it did right. It got quite a few major things wrong but I LOVED what it got right, somewhat sadly as I don't know if we'll necessarily see those aspects again, such as heavily integrated motion controls :(

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also the Divine Beasts battles are the traditional Zelda boss battles anyway
I'd say that's fair, though Vah Medoh is way too easy.

The blights have some very cool moments too depending on how you fight them. For instance, Waterblight.
i ran out of weapons during the Champions Ballad rematch, so I had to use Cryonis to kill all of his ice blocks that he throws but one. Then I used stasis to freeze the last one and hit it back at him.

It was literally a classic puzzle Zelda boss, but a lot less obvious because there was no "here's the dungeon item, now use it to solve every puzzle and boss in the dungeon!"

Was such a cool moment for me.

Deleted member 9650

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I don't get, is why did the Divine Beasts have so many interesting puzzles and combat scenarios, but Hyrule Castle had nothing?

The combat is OK in my opinion. It's more fun to be creative and find metal things to drop on enemy's heads, or try to use the stasis to knock large objects at enemies. But in the end, hitting the guys with your weapons is faster and easier than all that. It's fun to muck around unless you have another goal you're on your way to.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get, is why did the Divine Beasts have so many interesting puzzles and combat scenarios, but Hyrule Castle had nothing?

The combat is OK in my opinion. It's more fun to be creative and find metal things to drop on enemy's heads, or try to use the stasis to knock large objects at enemies. But in the end, hitting the guys with your weapons is faster and easier than all that. It's fun to muck around unless you have another goal you're on your way to.
The Divine Beasts were meant to be puzzle rooms, Hyrule Castle wasn't a "dungeon" in the same sense as the Shrines or DBs. It's accessible right from the overworld, so it's meant to be explored like an overworld area.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would disagree, the blight bosses need to be reworked because all of them could be cheesed very easily and were pretty formulaic. The divine beasts kind of have the same problems, formulaic. All of them are obviously solved by the rotation the game makes apparent and some have very limited or useless rotations. They needed to make everything feel less same-y

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What's that supposed to mean?
The game literally supplies you more frequently with the weapon type you break most frequently.

In other words, treating your weapons like a precious rare treasure is making your weapons precious rare treasures.

It's only a problem because you make it a problem.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's true as well, there's enough coming out that you shouldn't feel the need to force yourself to play something out of some sense of obligation to a gaming platform lol :P

Yep. That's a dumb habit I'm learning to kick. I've too often felt pressure to buy and play something to justify keeping a secondary platform around. Stupid as it just wastes time and money and consoles aren't a huge dent to my budget anymore unlike when growing up or through college and grad school.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Many people don't like that so it is a problem for them. They could've made them repairable at least. I'm bad with inventory management and I can't decide what to use and when to use it. I like to use weapons I'm comfortable with.

Saying it's literally not a problem unless you make it a problem sounds like dismissing others playstyles and opinions. It IS a problem for me.

Yeah, the main problem with the weapon = ammo comparison in BOTW threads is that no one grows an attachment to ammo, but they do get attached to f'ing cool looking swords, staffs, axes etc. I personally far prefer when weapons upgrades are hand placed, and they are meaningful. Piranha Bytes tends to do that quite well but a series that more people are familiar with is Dark Souls, all hand placed loot that tends to feel unique and its easy to get attached to that new weapon you find after progressing for 20 hours. Of course there is the added setback of having to cycle through this host of weapons because they break so often.

SpartacusMD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree for a game that had so many fanboys I was expecting so much more when I played it afew months ago.

Solid 8/10 game though but for me a completely forgettable experience and definitely not worthy of all the hype.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Based off reading some of this thread, is the perception of this game changing?

I agree with others that the game is solid but in no way a 10/10. The game had a good amount of problems that detract from it. It seems like this opinion is becoming more common.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword was amazing!

It had some real bad design choices (a little too much filler) but the actual game was brilliant. It was such a different experience, especially the combat, which was amazing and achieved what they set out to do. The story was decent too and the art was great.

I love when games take chances and pull them off (see the new God of War).

Oct 26, 2017

I agree with others that the game is solid but in no way a 10/10. The game had a good amount of problems that detract from it. It seems like this opinion is becoming more common.
No, not really. We saw similar backlash and opinions for games like The Witcher 3, Persona 5, and The Last of Us. Most people still think The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a great game. It's just, as time has passed, people who previously may have felt that their opinions were silenced as theirs weren't as positive may feel that they're more free to voice their thoughts on the game

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
It's an easy game to hate honestly. But if you really look at the big picture of what the game offers, it's a pretty damn good game. A lot people were just expecting traditional styled Zelda with this and instead, we got a huge sandbox to play in. Maybe the next game will get the best of both worlds :D

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

No the people that loved the game still love it.

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Skyward Sword was amazing!

It had some real bad design choices (a little too much filler) but the actual game was brilliant. It was such a different experience, especially the combat, which was amazing and achieved what they set out to do. The story was decent too and the art was great.

I love when games take chances and pull them off (see the new God of War).
Skyward Sword certainly took chances, but, I'm not too sure how well they payed off. I think there were some interesting ideas in regards to enemies and defeating them using motion controls (the three-headed snakes where you had to hit all three heads at the same time, for example) but, for the most part, basic combat was a chore, and sometimes the controls just would not cooperate. I did like the story and the art direction though (even though I think BotW has an even stronger art direction). I thought the filter that blurs objects to make them look "painterly" the further you got from them was a cool gimmick. And it had some pretty cool dungeons as well (the Ancient Cistern, in particular, is great). But, yeah, Skyward Sword is a pretty mixed bag, and that's kinda unacceptable when it comes to Zelda games.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Agree for a game that had so many fanboys I was expecting so much more when I played it afew months ago.

Solid 8/10 game though but for me a completely forgettable experience and definitely not worthy of all the hype.

It also leaves you so "exhausted" after going through all that unnecessarily huge world that easily is one my Top 3 Zelda games of which i will never play again.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In three years (assuming no other mainline Zelda comes by then), people will make a thread for game of the generation and Breath of the Wild will come out on top. Fucking guaranteed.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword certainly took chances, but, I'm not too sure how well they payed off. I think there were some interesting ideas in regards to enemies and defeating them using motion controls (the three-headed snakes where you had to hit all three heads at the same time, for example) but, for the most part, basic combat was a chore, and sometimes the controls just would not cooperate. I did like the story and the art direction though (even though I think BotW has an even stronger art direction). I thought the filter that blurs objects to make them look "painterly" the further you got from them was a cool gimmick. And it had some pretty cool dungeons as well (the Ancient Cistern, in particular, is great). But, yeah, Skyward Sword is a pretty mixed bag, and that's kinda unacceptable when it comes to Zelda games.
I disagree that combat was a chore. The whole game was built around the controls and for me they worked flawlessly. They were not easy to master but when they did not work it was never the fault of the remote, there was something wrong with my technique.

Still an experience that has not been replicated or surpassed (a real ass motion control video game). The downside of the game for me was the filler and some of the weaker missions. That stuff did really drag.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In three years (assuming no other mainline Zelda comes by then), people will make a thread for game of the generation and Breath of the Wild will come out on top. Fucking guaranteed.

Yep. Even as someone for whom that's not the case, I'd be shocked if it wasn't the consensus game of the generation in most lists/polls down the road.

Horizon Zero Dawn is my Game of the Gen so far with, the two Uncharted games, Super Mario Odyssey and Minster Hunter World just behind, for what it's worth.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and weapon degradation is totally pointless.

You don't get it. You're complaining about the final boss and story? It's a non traditional Zelda game - one that is based on freedom and exploration with emergent systems.

Game's not for you. The accolades are well deserved. It's just not your cup of tea. No mystery about it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The more I read threads like this, the more I wonder if there are some fundamental differences of playstyle that inform how people experience the BoTW. Like, how did everybody else play the game? Did you ever use a guide? Were you a completionist? A hoarder? How much time did you put in before going for the final boss?

For example, I'm usually a compeltionist, and I often get hooked on using a walkthrough in order to make sure I don't miss anything. But with BoTW, I changed the way I usually play and it made the game much more fun.

On the other hand, I don't want the game to end, so I'm avoiding fighting Ganon, even though I feel like I've had enough at this point.

The truth is, there's no wrong way to play a game, but some playstyles tend to really run against the grain of the way the game was designed, and tend to be less fun.
Depends.

Usually with open world games (GTA, Fallout, RDR and etc) I don't get everything in it. Most of the time I do all the main and side quests and collectable/ultimate weapons/secrets-wise I just get what I can along the way. Fallout 4 is one game where I got a Platinum trophy but I didn't care about the ultimate weapons, I did everything I could before that point hit. With GTAV, I beat the game twice and I didn't get all the 100 collectables scattered through the game. I stopped using guides mostly. I'm also a big hoarder in these games because you never know what might pop up later.

With BotW I held off on fighting Ganon for the longest time and just made my way through. Every day I played little by little exploring, discovering things, having fun and one by one I picked things apart. Eventually I dropped off sometime after beating the 4 Divine Beasts and then I remembered that I hadn't beaten Ganon yet so I went in and took him out. Thinking about it, there's so much more I could do in that game but I just don't have an urge to do it for some reason. I'm good on it. I'm good lol.

With Horizon, I was a completionist. I got everything in that game, went back and did New Game + and Ultra Hard and got a Platinum trophy. Nothing missed, I mastered that game in a way to where I'm done with it completely.

It just varies on the game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Aside from the weapon degradation final note, I understand all your points.
It's my GOAT, even if I have a big list of problems with the game (like with all the games) the exploration and freedom from this game is IMO the definitive gaming experience.

And about the 10/10 and all that... let's say that some reviewers were over-hyping the game (it happens with every major launch), but at the end of the day your opinion should be what matters to you.
I played Mario Odyssey, that received the same MC last year, and while I do think that the game is more solid and has less flaws than Zelda, I didn't like it as much as BotW.

As you well said, the world is incredible, the exploration is ace and the combat is fun. Add to that that the artstyle is gorgeous it's easy to see why the game is loved.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Even as someone for whom that's not the case, I'd be shocked if it wasn't the consensus game of the generation in most lists/polls down the road.

Horizon Zero Dawn is my Game of the Gen so far with, the two Uncharted games, Super Mario Odyssey and Minster Hunter World just behind, for what it's worth.
Really? Because there are quite a few strong contenders for GOTG. There are games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, or God of War that I think will receive quite a fairly large amount of votes, enough to make the GOTG vote pretty competitive

Last edited: