• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This means that you can be completely out of the range of an attack and dodge yet still trigger flurry rush.

however since you dodged during the tell and not the attack itself you don't trigger flurry rush and will most likely get smacked by the lynel's next attack before you can dodge again.

I agree it's not perfect, but it's hardly broken because of it. If one learns the timing well enough, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

the game doesn't reward proper dodging it's best just to dance around outside an enemy's range and bait out free flurry rushes.

Yes it does. It's just not perfect all the time.

And I don't agree with the second bit. Cheesing a game and playing in a super lame way isn't the best anything. It's best to improvise and use all your tools to the best of your abilities. That's not only the most effective way to play, but also the funnest.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This made me try out weapons that I normally would've ignored. Which would've been 90% of all equipment.

Ya and since they all broke in seconds too, none of it ended up mattering. Every weapon ended up being so similar in power and capability it ended up being a simple matter of using whatever you had, not a particular weapon you loved.

I love the game and think it's far better than "ok," and I love weapon degradation mechanics. BOTW did it pretty horribly though, things broke so easily mainly for balance. If your weapons didn't break the Master Sword woulda had to be WAAY stronger, anf certain weapons woulda simply made the game far too easy. It wasn't to force the players to TRY new things, it was to force them to use less than ideal weapons for difficulty.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I agree the final boss was kind of a pushover, but to be fair I did spend like 100 hours making myself as strong as possible. So I was okay with it.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo isn't very good delivering those Cinematic Experiences™ like Sony. The meat of the game is to create your own epic experience through gameplay.

Except the experience isn't epic. It's mundane in every respect. And the fact is, plenty of games have shown how to do epic adventures and epic fights. For epic fights, look at the Avion boss battle in Shadow of the Colossus or Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne. Both Sony games, both show that visuals and audio are just as important to making an epic moment as the gameplay is.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except the experience isn't epic. It's mundane in every respect. And the fact is, plenty of games have shown how to do epic adventures and epic fights. For epic fights, look at the Avion boss battle in Shadow of the Colossus or Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne. Both Sony games, both show that visuals and audio are just as important to making an epic moment as the gameplay is.
I'm so glad you cleared for me that the 135+ hour long experience I felt was hugely epic and personal wasn't, really. It's actually mundane, now I know.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a game has combat, they might as well make it good.
It's good combat. It's not class leading combat, unlike Bloodborne. It's good combat.
You want bad combat, I refer you to Skyrim. Or The Witcher 3. Or really, almost any other fantasy open world RPG. BotW's combat isn't the best in the world, but it's better than most analogues in its genre, and the whole narrative about it being "bad" is really confusing. Bad compared to what? Dark Souls, Bloodborne? Sure, I agree. Those also happen to be games where combat literally is the single and only major interactive pillar. What other game of BotW's type has better combat than it? I can think of Horizon (though melee in Horizon was ehhhh... still better than BotW, though). And?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the weapon degradation complaints would have been alleviated had the game had a special shop where you could use your resources to repair any weapon. Rare weapons requiring higher amount/rarer resources, of course.

There's actually a way to repair your weapons in the game, but it's really out the way and more of an interesting little secret. Had the game had a more direct and acknowledged method, I wonder how different the game and some people's perception of it would've been. It'd still have to be kind of difficult, I'd imagine, requiring a lot of items/resources. Otherwise it'd end up like it is in games such as Witcher 3 where weapons breaking is more of just a way to annoy and inconvenience the player for a small bit than actually being a core mechanic that the game centers its combat on.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm so glad you cleared for me that the 135+ hour long experience I felt was hugely epic and personal wasn't, really. It's actually mundane, now I know.

What can I say. Some people loooove busy work. I'm not sure what you found so epic of fighting poorly designed bosses, fighting the same enemies over and over again, constantly stopping and starting fights to switch out weapons, exploring large empty stretches of land with mediocre traversal mechanics, and solving "puzzles."

If that's epic to you then there's a whole world of games out there that'll wow you.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What can I say. Some people loooove busy work. I'm not sure what you found so epic of fighting poorly designed bosses, fighting the same enemies over and over again, constantly stopping and starting fights to switch out weapons, exploring large empty stretches of land with mediocre traversal mechanics, and solving "puzzles."

If that's epic to you then there's a whole world of games out there that'll wow you.
You seem to know a lot about what games I will like and not like. You also seem to have far better and more enlightened tastes than me. Tell me more about these other games.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People being patronizing and condescending towards the game and its fans doesn't even really bother me anymore. In the end, they're the ones arguing against a game that blew away any other in the GOTY awards, including Resetera's (like, it wasn't even close).

People can have their own opinions on this game and any other, but once they start demonstrating attitudes like what can be seen in this thread, it's just a little amusing and I kind of just give those posts a cute little smirk before moving on.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
You seem to know a lot about what games I will like and not like. You also seem to have far better and more enlightened tastes than me. Tell me more about these other games.

They're largely games that focus narrowly on only doing one or two things really well. Unlike BotW which does many things -- just none of them well. Most are tightly designed and know how to mix stylish presentation with engaging, even if simple, gameplay mechanics. Unlike BotW which lacks style in presentation and engaging gameplay mechanics.

More recently, examples include Furi, Nex Machina and Dark Souls 3 (of course, along with Bloodborne) which focus on epic action.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People being patronizing and condescending towards the game and its fans doesn't even really bother me anymore. In the end, they're the ones arguing against a game that blew away any other in the GOTY awards, including Resetera's (like, it wasn't even close).

People can have their own opinions on this game and any other, but once they start demonstrating attitudes like what can be seen in this thread, it's just a little amusing and I kind of just give those posts a cute little smirk before moving on.
Right? Like, that's the thing. People are free to dislike the game (any game that is this acclaimed will have some pretty vocal critics). I respect the fact that the game doesn't work for everyone. I respect their opinions (as long as they are substantiated). I respect the fact that the game didn't work for them. I have no isseus with people not liking the game- one of my favorite posters on the site is Aigis, and that dude doesn't have much nice to say about Breath of the Wild lol

Apparently, however, for most BotW critics (not Aigis), just accepting that there are people (a lot of them, in fact) who liked the game, that the game has merits, and that said merits simply don't work for them, and that's okay, or, hell, just respecting the opinions of those who do like the game, is a very difficult ask. The best part is when a lot of these people turn around and complain about how "toxic" BotW fans can be- like begets like, peeps.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're largely games that focus narrowly on only doing one or two things really well. Unlike BotW which does many things -- just none of them well. Most are tightly designed and know how to mix stylish presentation with engaging, even if simple, gameplay mechanics. Unlike BotW which lacks style in presentation and engaging gameplay mechanics.

More recently, examples include Furi, Nex Machina and Dark Souls 3 (of course, along with Bloodborne) which focus on epic action.
I'm going to tell you something that blows your mind. Are you ready?

I have played all of those games. I don't like any of them an iota as much as I like Breath of the Wild.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, some people love busy work.

Yes, sounds like my little brain can't comprehend anything beyond the busywork that BotW entails. :( It probably keeps me busy, and doesn't demand any further engagement or investment from me, which the other games do and I can't appreciate their beauty and majesty as a result, that's probably why I like BotW more

Like I said, some people have a total inability to appreciate differing tastes and opinions.

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood the idea of weapon breaking interrupting gameplay. What do you do when you run out of bullets in a FPS? You find more bullets to pick up or swap weapons from around the level. Sometimes it's not a weapon you like but you improvise.

You can get like 10+ weapons in your inventory so I never felt unprepared

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, sounds like my little brain can't comprehend anything beyond the busywork that BotW entails. :( It probably keeps me busy, and doesn't demand any further engagement or investment from me, which the other games do and I can't appreciate their beauty and majesty as a result, that's probably why I like BotW more

Like I said, some people have a total inability to appreciate differing tastes and opinions.

Comprehension and love are two very different things. Some people like tightly designed games where the developers know how to do what they do well. Others just want a checklist of a game that's littered with mediocre gameplay mechanics. Difference of taste.

It's not like your tastes are in the minority. Assassin's Creed is very popular for a reason.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
You want bad combat, I refer you to Skyrim. Or The Witcher 3.

The Witcher 3's combat isn't bad. People just consistently missed the point that it's designed to make you play like a Witcher. Use signs, use potions, do your prep work, and you'll have a hell of a lot better time than if you're trying to play it like other action RPGs.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3's combat isn't bad. People just consistently missed the point that it's designed to make you play like a Witcher. Use signs, use potions, do your prep work, and you'll have a hell of a lot better time than if you're trying to play it like other action RPGs.
I am one of the people who defends TW3's combat from some of the criticisms leveled at it, but it is at least worse than BotW's. Equally it can be pointed out that people miss the point of BotW's combat, which is leveraging everything in your immediate surroundings, and not just swinging your sword away blindly...

Comprehension and love are two very different things. Some people like tightly designed games where the developers know how to do what they do well. Others just want a checklist of a game that's littered with mediocre gameplay mechanics. Difference of taste.

It's not like your tastes are in the minority. Assassin's Creed is very popular for a reason.
Right, I'm one of the uneducated masses who likes braindead games now.
Are the dozens of developers who fell over themselves to gush and wax eloquent over BotW also uneducated masses who can't see past the immediate gratification that checklists bring them? I am sure the media is like that, they're just pandering to the lowest common denominator of the mainstream, after all.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Funny enough, these Sony cinematic experiences have better combat than BotW

Because weapons break and so and so? You could say that, I guess. But in BotW you can literally use the world around you to combat enemies. There are hundreds of ways that you can approach a fight so, for me, it has some of the best combat experiences out there.

Nov 9, 2017
BOTW is finally a Zelda game that has exploration. Something the series lacked for 20+ years.
BOTW had great dungeons that did not drag on forever and relied on a predictable formula that required an item that was relegated to junk the second you left the dungeon.
BOTW Finally had a story that did not get in the way of the Gameplay with a overly long tedious 2 hour long opening tutorial that insulted the players intelligence.
BOTW did not have a shitty partner that continued to spoil the puzzles of the game and kill the pacing.
BOTW had puzzles beyond the typical "Push block on the Switch" "Look around in first person view and shoot the big eyeball" that have plagued the series like cancer since OOT.

The list goes on and on and on. But you get the point. Basically what it boils down to is that BOTW is the best 3D Zelda game. I can't think of a single thing that it did worse than any previous 3D Zelda games.

Got a winner here folks. Even the weapon system was great - it forces you to try new things and not stockpile weapons. Too many gamers (myself included) have a hoarder mentality and this system forces you to adapt. Even if you find a great weapon and it doesn't last a long time you'll find another one pretty quick. Think a lot of people don't like this system because it forces them out of their comfort zone.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
If a game has combat, they might as well make it good.

Good thing I'm loving every minute of the combat when I play then.

Because weapons break and so and so? You could say that, I guess. But in BotW you can literally use the world around you to combat enemies. There are hundreds of ways that you can approach a fight so, for me, it has some of the best combat experiences out there.

Shh the combat is dirt, haven't you heard?

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I agree that Flurry Rush was pretty ass...i rarely ever used it unless I was just trying to make space by breaking a weapon. Because that's all flurry rush was really good for.

I do think that BotW combat was its weakest area, but it worked as well as it needed to. Zelda would have done really well to move past the "Wait for right moment then swing your sword like a lunatic" style of gameplay, but I don't really have my hopes up for that to ever happen. Since i started playing the game in Master Mode...using the environment mostly just consisted of me finding cliffs / bodies of water to cheese enemies off of. About 50% of the time the tumble didn't even manage to kill them.

I think BotW could have aimed for a bit more interesting environmental mechanics than basically just fire and cliffs, and i suppose the occasional metal box?

Something closer to Half Life 2 would have been amazing. It would have been really neat if you eventually got upgrades to your Stasis/Magnet/Ice abilities that allowed you to actually weaponize metallic objects and things like nearby trees. Speaking of trees, the ability to cut them down stops being particularly useful extremely early in the game.

Something like turning Link into a weaker version of Cole/Delson (Infamous series) or Kat from Gravity Rush would have spiced things up. I'm actually really surprised BotW never went that route.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda debates are crazy. Replaying the game now and it's moving up. Super disappointed at first, but replays have really helped my opinion. Just so much world to see just about to start dlc

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Zelda BOTW is a great game with some of the best level design I have seen in an open world. However It does have flaws. I thought the combat is atrocious, the boss battles are absolutely terrible, enemy design is mediocre, enemy variety is mediocre etc.. Depending on what people value in a game these things may or may not matter.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus people in this thread need to chillax. Its OK that people are not as hype about a game you love.

Perfect games do not exist and may never exist. If you can't find a flaw in your favorite game you really are not trying.

But that's a good thing! It means the next entry will have even better stuff!

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda debates are crazy. Replaying the game now and it's moving up. Super disappointed at first, but replays have really helped my opinion. Just so much world to see just about to start dlc

I've noticed this happening pretty regularly for people who initially felt disappointed in the game, but decided to give it another shot. Glad you're enjoying it.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed this happening pretty regularly for people who initially felt disappointed in the game, but decided to give it another shot. Glad you're enjoying it.

I can definitely see why. The unstructured set up of the game allows for a lot of different self ordained adventures so it allows the game to stay fresh.

I have felt a lot of repetitiveness still with Shrines being the culprit, but the sense of discovery is still very strong.

To be honest I think it is just aesthetic repetitiveness as the content could have stayed the same, but if they changed the look of the shrines or the music, it would have done wonders.

I will say this. After my first playthrouhj, it was one of my least favorites, but on subsequent play throughs it is a top 3 Zelda for sure. Crazy stuff.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Mipha, does that count?

Mipha counts

Right? Like, that's the thing. People are free to dislike the game (any game that is this acclaimed will have some pretty vocal critics). I respect the fact that the game doesn't work for everyone. I respect their opinions (as long as they are substantiated). I respect the fact that the game didn't work for them. I have no isseus with people not liking the game- one of my favorite posters on the site is Aigis, and that dude doesn't have much nice to say about Breath of the Wild lol

Apparently, however, for most BotW critics (not Aigis), just accepting that there are people (a lot of them, in fact) who liked the game, that the game has merits, and that said merits simply don't work for them, and that's okay, or, hell, just respecting the opinions of those who do like the game, is a very difficult ask. The best part is when a lot of these people turn around and complain about how "toxic" BotW fans can be- like begets like, peeps.

well said

Hoshigumi

Dec 1, 2017
South Wales - UK
I mean towers?? come on. I had no idea they were in the game and my eye balls hit the back of my skull when i realised this was how you unlocked the map.
f05.png