• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it more than Twilight Princess but that's about the best I can say. On my personal scale it's a legit 5/10.

Crappy story, crappy quests, crappy combat, crappy UI, crappy frame rate, crappy loot system and a boring world saved by some unique mechanics and a beautiful artstyle.

Weak-ass arguments backed up by absolutely nothing. You share that in common with most BOTW's "detractors".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Weak-ass arguments backed up by absolutely nothing.
It's my opinion, calm down. I could expand if you want but it's not like people have never criticized the combat or fetch quests in the game lol

Edit: why did you edit in detractors and put it in quotes as if the people who don't enjoy the game as much as you are just trolling for a reaction

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it when I was a child, even though I got stuck in it for quite a lot of time
This right here should tell you what's up.

You would probably have found plenty to criticize about OoT if you hadn't played it as a child, in fact many criticisms were leveled at it at the time. The thing is that OOT worked in spite of the flaws it held then, and that's what's made it endure through the years. Guess what will happen with BotW.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that degradation system can go. You can encourage me to use different weapons with movesets or enemies being more susceptible to damage types. Having weapons break every couple battles ain't the way.

Still very much enjoyed the game, and it's a fantastic base of what they can do in the future. When they find the balance between older Zelda dungeons and the open world of BOTW, that's it. We're done.

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
This game's naturalistic world is one of the ugliest things I've seen in any Nintendo game. Instead of interesting three dimensional environments (ie, actual level design) we were given a bland recreation of nature, and the banal ruins motif to explain away the impossibility of actually designing anything interesting in a world of this size. And all so people could live out their sick fantasies about Shigeru's jaunts through a Kyoto forest a hundred years ago or some other ridiculous nonsense.

I like not having something to do every moment in my videogame

I don't need music because this game is about nature

I like when my weapons break, because that sustains the gameplay loop

It all sucks!

Basically everything this game does best is available at your local state park. There you'll find all of the nature and freedom you can handle. And you won't even have to engage with any of the mediocre action gameplay that litters the biggest, blandest, and most boring Nintendo world ever created.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
^Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man.

It's been 12 months and it's still my favourite game of all time. That first play through was truly unforgettable.

Mastermind85

Oct 28, 2017
The great thing about BOTW is that as good as it turned out, there is potential for an even better sequel. The ground work has been laid. Really looking forward to the next Zelda!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game's naturalistic world is one of the ugliest things I've seen in any Nintendo game. Instead of interesting three dimensional environments (ie, actual level design) we were given a bland recreation of nature, and the banal ruins motif to explain away the impossibility of actually designing anything interesting in a world of this size. And all so people could live out their sick fantasies about Shigeru's jaunts through a Kyoto forest a hundred years ago or some other ridiculous nonsense.

It all sucks!

Basically everything this game does best is available at your local state park. There you'll find all of the nature and freedom you can handle. And you won't even have to engage with any of the mediocre action gameplay that litters the biggest, blandest, and most boring Nintendo world ever created.
I- this is sarcasm?

Oct 26, 2017

It all sucks!

Ahh...yes, I remember being able to use a paraglider to glide around my local state park. How silly of me to play BOTW when I could have gone to my local state park instead

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
The great thing about BOTW is that as good as it turned out, there is potential for an even better sequel. The ground work has been laid. Really looking forward to the next Zelda!

I'm skeptical that there's any way to improve this game, since the degree of freedom and size of the world are its real strengths (and I use that term advisedly). And from a practical standpoint you can't significantly improve the latter and you literally can't improve the former.

And that's the really amazing thing about this game. That if Nintendo had compromised at any point, whether it be the size or the freedom or the weapon breaking or the elixirs, the whole thing would have come crashing down. They really committed to do the wrong thing, across every single aspect of the game.

The old Zelda's were amenable to improvement in a way that BOTW is not because those games were built on classic game design principles and not whatever it is BOTW is built on.

BOTW is the equivalent of being sick and tired of how your living room looks and throwing everything out into the street and exhaling at the lack of clutter. But to actually improve how the room looks in any real sense you need to introduce all that stuff back and carefully arrange it. BOTW threw everything out and it's left with intangibles only. To be improved it actually needs classic Zelda stuff back because you have to have something to work with instead of nothing.

BOTW fans should hope it's not improved. Because to improve it is to undo it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I like weapon breaking. It encourages me to switch weapons constantly. If they don't break, I'll probably stick to the same few weapons.

Mastermind85

Oct 28, 2017
I'm skeptical that there's any way to improve this game, since the degree of freedom and size of the world are its real strengths (and I use that term advisedly). And from a practical standpoint you can't significantly improve the latter and you literally can't improve the former.

And that's the really amazing thing about this game. That if Nintendo had compromised at any point, whether it be the size or the freedom or the weapon breaking or the elixirs, the whole thing would have come crashing down. They really committed to do the wrong thing, across every single aspect of the game.

The old Zelda's were amenable to improvement in a way that BOTW is not because those games were built on classic game design principles and not whatever it is BOTW is built on.

BOTW is the equivalent of being sick and tired of how your living room looks and throwing everything out into the street and exhaling at the lack of clutter. But to actually improve how the room looks in any real sense you need to introduce all that stuff back and carefully arrange it. BOTW threw everything out and it's left with intangibles only. To be improved it actually needs classic Zelda stuff back because you have to have something to work with instead of nothing.

I disagree. Dungeons are my favourite part of Zelda games and I'm confident they can reintroduce the high quality dungeons that were seen previously in the series.

I don't think that would take away from the sense of freedom and world aspects that BOTW nailed.

Edit: alright, you got me

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
Ahh...yes, I remember being able to use a paraglider to glide around my local state park. How silly of me to play BOTW when I could have gone to my local state park instead

The game's strongest (strongest should have some quotations marks around it) elements are the freedom and size of the world. And its alleged beauty. All of those things are better served by actually being out in the world it so desperately tries to imitate.

Nintendo games should focus on what videogames do well. Mechanics, level design, progression. Maybe some music if I were to get really greedy. Making Zelda solely into a vehicle for delivering a feeling of adventure is such a waste of Nintendo's talent. Let the Westerners handle that.

Finding BOTW's world compelling as a product of its shape and fauna and ruins is so laughable when it's compared to even the most modest corners of actual nature. And I know that it has some gameplay occasionally as you wander around. But the primary thrust of the game is about immersing a player in its world. A world that is utterly inferior.

So yea, the most compelling aspects of the game are things other aspects of life deliver on. It is based on Miyamoto's childhood wanderings after all. Maybe the spirit of Zelda is not in here. Maybe it's out there.

Now go find it and leave Zelda alone!

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love all the people saying "But the weapon degradation made me try more weapons!"

Yeah, all it did for me was make me think I'd need to save my good stuff for later.

Except all the bosses were such pushovers I never used anything. I spent the entire game killing everything with the shittiest weapon I had lol.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
A 100% Metacritic game is still just a video game. The most you are going to get out of it is empty fun, pretend accomplishments, some pointless skills/knowledge, and possibly some story bits to string the button mashing together. If you expect more than disposable commercial confection, you will be disappointed.

Zelda, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, GTA, Skyrim, etc. are just dumb fun, not life changers. You want to change your life, take up meditation.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
BOTW is so overrated. I feel Nintendo removed alot of what makes Zelda games fun to play and I also hated the weapon degradation.

What I will say is Nintendo have made a good foundation for the next game in the series, they just need to introduce unique dungeons, tools etc whilst removing weapons breaking. The game world doesn't need to be so barren either, so maybe make the world smaller but filled with more to do.

People saying it made you use different weapons, you could do that anyway without them breaking, so I find that a pointless argument.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo isn't very good delivering those Cinematic Experiences™ like Sony. The meat of the game is to create your own epic experience through gameplay.

Nov 2, 2017
i really like botw but i wouldn't give it the 10s like the critics do....most a 8.5 from me.

my pros:
- ability to climb everywhere is GOAT ability
- excellent level design
- great 'flow'
- great artstyle and 'feel'

my cons:
- rubbish story
- disappointing bosses (same as OP: "That's it?" feeling
- combat is too basic
- overemphasize on the physics puzzle in the shrines
- lack of balance...it's too easy overall in terms of difficulty...link is just too op.
- cooking mechanics is undercooked
- Raining

Yep. This is what happens when nostalgia is used heavily while reviewing the games and they just emphasize more on the things they like than giving overview of everything in the score. Weak story breaks immersion of an adventure, so it does not deserve 10/10 with the story it has.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adored it while I was playing it, like I haven't adored a game for literally years. It's comforting and beautiful and fun, it's just a wonderful experience.

But yeah, once I got the master sword, I basically high-tailed it to the boss, saw the shite ending then just put it down.

Haven't played it since.

(The weapon system is terrible, it really is. Why not actually design the weapons and encounters so you NEED to switch weapons up rather than feeling like your fighting with crap you find lying around that you constantly need to throw away? It's just a chore.)

(Oh, and rain can get to fuck too. It looks nice but gimping climbing entirely was a terrible decision.)

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yep. This is what happens when nostalgia is used heavily while reviewing the games and they just emphasize more on the things they like than giving overview of everything in the score. Weak story breaks immersion of an adventure, so it does not deserve 10/10 with the story it has.

That's just a problem with people thinking reviews are some form of an objective metric in the first place, they are not. Everyone draws on their own biases, past experiences and they color our perceptions and opinions. I certainly wouldn't give BOTW a 10/10 either, probably an 8/10 from me but there I don't think there is a perfect game so I'm not sure anything truly deserves a 10/10 if we're trying to be objective, but that's just not the way things work, people emphasize the things they like and play down the things that a game doesn't do as well.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
While the story was not its strong suit, I do not see how they could have pulled it off any other way in BoTW; especially with how open it is. I mean think about it (and I believe this was already touched on in a previous post), most games with the open world tag are really not open world; not in a literal sense. The majority of these open world games are more like theme parks than sand boxes (MMO terms, but it fits my argument). The "open" world is gated off by either story, key items, levels, etc. The execution in this style is that the idea of "open" world doesn't come along until the game is completed, then it's time to clean up by going where ever you want - post game.

This style allows the developer structure/have control of the story/pacing (if the player decides to move the story along instead of doing the available side quest at that given time), which allows for more robust storytelling. With BoTW, the game just cuts you loose after the Plateau, literally. Do anything, in any order, at any time. This style appeals to A LOT of players (more akin to Morrowind, a game looked upon fondly by the community...despite its faults), but it also brings in the critics. With a game as open as Zelda, I cannot see how an actual story being put on rails can be accomplished (some huge narrative that will have the player with jaw agape), without taking away from what made BoTW truly special: an open world game where the player can go anywhere at anytime (choice is dictated by the player). Put the story on rails, all the the sudden that part of the game is no longer open, but rather dictated by the developer, no longer by the player.

Whether is has been done before, it has been a while since a developer took the words "open world" and delivered it in a literal sense, by giving the player almost unlimited freedom within that world. So while I believe the game is not perfect, no game is, I still think it deserved the score it got. I am pretty excited to see how they build off of BoTW with the next installment.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I more or less agree with you TC.

I heavily disliked being given every rune ability from the beginning. There were no discover-able world or dungeon items that change the way the game was played, like the hookshot, pegasus boots, spells, the hook beetle, etc. Exploration thus felt extremely unrewarding, because all I would find in chests were consumables or breakable (yay?) weapons.

Also weapon degradation was definitely a killer for me. Sure, people can argue that weapon durability is integral to BotW's gameplay loop, but this doesn't necessarily make it good or satisfying. There are a myriad of ways to encourage weapon variety without durability. In Dark Souls for example you're encouraged to try tons of different weapons (or don't! freedom you say?), and weapon durability is a non-issue except in very rare circumstances, and even then when your weapon breaks you don't lose it forever, you just rest at a bonfire or repair it instantly using repair powder. You also don't have to continuously farm weapons. Yeah I'm lookin' at you, Great Flameblade.

Bosses were a letdown aesthetically for sure, and almost everything about the final boss was disappointing. I really enjoyed the Divine beasts in concept, but they were just too short lived and not nearly intricate or lengthy enough. Definitely would've preferred actual dungeons. And shrines, while fun to start, eventually become extremely repetitive and give you very predictable rewards.

Finally the story and soundtrack were huge letdowns. These are just egregious crimes for a zelda game imo.

The game is good for sure, but I wouldn't give it any higher than an 8/10 personally.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I would probably give the game an 8/10. Way too much repetition of in-game activities and visual design. It is crazy to me that all 120 shrines and 4 mega-shrines are aesthetically identical. Even the 120 monks are just the same monk 120 times with different names. 65 percent of my time playing the game was brilliant, the other 35 percent was frustrating and/or boring. I found the combat to be really shallow and stilted, and the gameworld to be totally lacking in density of interesting experiences. I with the map was smaller, with all of the unique and worthwhile ideas condensed down into a smaller space.

BOTW doesn't come close to topping OOT or even MM and WW in my book.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That game is greatly flawed, yet is in my top five of all times, and on the most acclaimed game ever released. It says a lot about its intrinsic qualities. I can't wait for the next one, developed for Switch from the ground up. I hope they won't take the lazy road because they have something special on their hands.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Did I play the same game as some of you? I was pretty active on the combat side of the things and never had weapons break down as fast or easy as some of you make it sound. Plus I honestly loved that mechanic, it made battles so much more intense when you're in the middle of things and see the warning sign and you have to start figuring out which weapon would be best to use next and how

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'll never get the "the game is boring" or "the combat isn't good". Some jaded cynical as fuck takes in my book. Maybe people just aren't playing the game interestingly? You can just mash buttons if you want, I guess. Yay?

I never have the same two battles. Just walking around the game is a joy. Played for a good hour or so tonight and enjoyed every minute of it. The downtime, the exploring, the collecting, the combat. It's the little things, it's the everything. I feel like I'm seeing something emerge every time I play, something dynamic that I didn't see before.

Mind boggling just how much is happening on screen here.

The game is interesting, nonstop. Sometimes I don't know if we're playing the same game here. Show me your replays. SHOW me the game not being good. I want proof. Cuz every fucking replay I record is entertaining and awesome as FUCK.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017

Mate. I've gotta call you out on that post. I mean, I don't want to use the word nonsense, but......

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
I
The game's strongest (strongest should have some quotations marks around it) elements are the freedom and size of the world. And its alleged beauty. All of those things are better served by actually being out in the world it so desperately tries to imitate.

Nintendo games should focus on what videogames do well. Mechanics, level design, progression. Maybe some music if I were to get really greedy. Making Zelda solely into a vehicle for delivering a feeling of adventure is such a waste of Nintendo's talent. Let the Westerners handle that.

Finding BOTW's world compelling as a product of its shape and fauna and ruins is so laughable when it's compared to even the most modest corners of actual nature. And I know that it has some gameplay occasionally as you wander around. But the primary thrust of the game is about immersing a player in its world. A world that is utterly inferior.

So yea, the most compelling aspects of the game are things other aspects of life deliver on. It is based on Miyamoto's childhood wanderings after all. Maybe the spirit of Zelda is not in here. Maybe it's out there.

Now go find it and leave Zelda alone!

I don't even know how someone can muster the energy to take your points and show them for the nonsensical comments they are. Systems? Mechanics? BotW has those. Music? BotW has that. Level design? Progression? BotW has those.

I literally have no idea what you're trying to say. But I can tell you what you should be saying - ' I didn't like the game. I didn't like how X worked'.

Great. Now I can understand you. And fair play to you. You didn't like it. That's ok. You don't have to like every blockbuster game that the majority of people live. I think Witcher 3 is pretty boring and clunky. But I know I'm in the minority so....

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Honestly, most of your videos are merely snippets of random gameplay. Not sure how your videos sell the game as the best thing ever...

Cuz the game is awesome and dynamic and it shows? The game sells itself.

What do you want me to show to impress you? Beating the whole game with a stick? I don't get the attitude.

If this is boring to you then I dunno what to say to you.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This right here should tell you what's up.

You would probably have found plenty to criticize about OoT if you hadn't played it as a child, in fact many criticisms were leveled at it at the time. The thing is that OOT worked in spite of the flaws it held then, and that's what's made it endure through the years. Guess what will happen with BotW.
who told you i didn't play it multiple times since then?
What on earth does this mean lol
that the main core of the game is about balancing resources and always giving something to get something else,nothing is ever free and everything has its value, balanced just right to give the right value to something else.

the entire premise of "conquering the wilds"is basically learning your way through optimisation of that currencies system.

Nov 4, 2017
Cuz the game is awesome and dynamic and it shows? The game sells itself.

What do you want me to show to impress you? Beating the whole game with a stick? I don't get the attitude.

If this is boring to you then I dunno what to say to you.

I actually fear for your intellectual capability and mental sanity. Who gives a flying shit whether the game is good or bad? In the grand scheme that is life, it is literally meaningless. Please go outside and live your life.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me just get something out of the way:

Master Mode is the optimal way to play this game -- and naturally, the game's "Hard Mode" was behind like a $20 pay wall. Thanks Nintendo!

ok so the problem with BotW is that it's really good at alot of different mechanics but it doesn't ever feel like it really pushes any of them as much as they should. Ironically, the game's biggest strength and driving factor (weapon breaking) is also the source of its greatest weakness. (Poor reward incentive for actually exploring.) The biggest reason for exploring in BotW is to find things, but everything you find is ultimately temporary, not to mention picked from a standard list of common gear. So ultimately, you get to a point in the game where there's no reason for you to really explore anymore because you've either:

a) gotten as geared up as you ever need to get

b) can't get any stronger because of inventory limitations

c) dont want to try and get stronger because the risk/effort is no longer going to return a reward worth your time.

This is made really clear when playing Master Mode, as the effects of the game's design are amplified by like x10. Everything you find is valuable because everything you own is temporary. But once you get to the point where you understand the game a bit better and finally get your bearings, there comes a point where you hit a progression wall. You realize that there's little value in exploration or hunting for rarities because since you have to use your consumables (everything you own) to actually progress, your chances are such that:

a) you'll break even in your expeditions and mostly have been wasting your time

b) you'll come out worse off as you've broken all your equipment and wasted all your items just to find nothing, or next to nothing

c) you'll come out with a slightly better weapon (or more likely, just a replacement for what you lost) and pretty much feel like you wasted your time.

The only lasting finds in the game are from spirit orbs, armors, and the Divine Beast abilities, of which there are very few. I think what BotW really needed more of was waaaaaaaay more enemies like the typical Guardians. Some much stronger, some slightly weaker, but given enough of a presence that you always feel compelled to be at the top of your game when you're traveling to new areas. Lyonels were neat i guess but there were only a few of them and they were actually extremely easy to avoid since they don't actually aggro you unless you threaten them. There also should have absolutely been more weapons that functioned like the Master Sword, where you can deplete durability but don't actually lose the weapon....or at the very least you aren't left with absolutely nothing once it breaks.

So yeah, if BotW gets a sequel, I think they need to:

1) Add lasting rewards to the map. Not enough to trivialize the survival aspect, but enough to make adventuring in the mid/endgame worth your while

2) Add more viciously aggressive and powerful opponents to the world map, similar to the Guardian Walkers, enemies that give incentive to seek out more power and provide better options for mid and endgame challenge content. This automatically adds to the survival aspect of the game.

3) Real dungeons. Stepping into a dungeon should more or less be like stepping foot on Eventide Island, which IMO was the greatest demostration of what BotW could have been with real dungeon design.

4) Make rain worth something more than just a grand annoyance

5) If you're going to make a game that's based around freedom, don't half-assedly try to shoehorn in characters that i'm supposed to feel some kind of connection towards. It does not work, I don't care about Zelda or any of the dead beast pilots because the game has given me no reason to. Link doesn't even talk about them or have any memories so it's not like he cares either.

That said, the Divine Beast story segments were easily the worst part of the game, there's something really jarring about playing this awesome free-roam experience and then having to YET AGAIN win over the hearts of some dumbass fish people or something when everyone in the story knows i'm the only one who's gonna get shit done and there's literally no benefit to anyone making me jump through hoops to do it. You're mad at me from 100 years ago? Who gives a fuck, are YOU going to save your village, no, alright then quit giving me the runaround.

Out of all of the Zelda tropes that BotW did away with, that was the one I wanted to see go the most.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get the "the game is boring" or "the combat isn't good". Some jaded cynical as fuck takes in my book. Maybe people just aren't playing the game interestingly? You can just mash buttons if you want, I guess. Yay?

I never have the same two battles. Just walking around the game is a joy. Played for a good hour or so tonight and enjoyed every minute of it. The downtime, the exploring, the collecting, the combat. It's the little things, it's the everything. I feel like I'm seeing something emerge every time I play, something dynamic that I didn't see before.

Mind boggling just how much is happening on screen here.

The game is interesting, nonstop. Sometimes I don't know if we're playing the same game here. Show me your replays. SHOW me the game not being good. I want proof. Cuz every fucking replay I record is entertaining and awesome as FUCK.

I swear you make BOTW threads insufferable.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I certainly wouldn't give BOTW a 10/10 either, probably an 8/10 from me but there I don't think there is a perfect game so I'm not sure anything truly deserves a 10/10 if we're trying to be objective, but that's just not the way things work, people emphasize the things they like and play down the things that a game doesn't do as well.
The thing is, people prefer a game that does something really well (like exploration and freedom in BotW) even if that means that other aspects are bad or average.
A game that does everything at a good level sounds kind of boring (and unrealistic), your favourite games will be always the games that do really good what you like the most.
My 2nd favourite game this gen is Bloodborne, a game that is far more solid than BotW (even if it's a technical mess), but even so I don't think BB does anything as big and gamechanging as BotW's freedom.

4) Make rain worth something more than just a grand annoyance
I think the easy way to fix this problem is making the weather less dynamic. If the weather time slots were double their lenght, you could plan when to climb a mountain without worrying about raining, and decide not to when a raining slot is near.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I don't think he's right in the head. I mean, he's literally spamming Twitter with BotW clips. At this stage it's pretty safe to say that the guy is a few eggs short of a dozen so don't be too hard on him.
I wouldn't go that far but I am tired of his terrible attitude towards anyone who doesn't like the game as much as him. I really enjoyed the game, but dude needs to relax and stop putting down anyone who doesn't. Calling them "jaded cynical fucks" is just a crazy reaction, and it's in every single BOTW thread.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I used to feel something was wrong with me for being so lukewarm on a game that was universally adored by critics. Now I see the reception among fans is not as overwhelmingly positive. I think BOTW is a really unique game, I am looking forward to seeing how Nintendo iterates on the formula with the sequel.