• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend in university who was like this.

LoL every moment he could. I became the main driving force for him to keep going with his degree and to socialize, since my wife (fiancee at the time) and I liked hanging around with him.

Whenever we weren't hanging out, and when he wasn't at school, it was either sleep or LoL. Shit can be horribly addicting, so I believe you, OP

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What are women?

If you don´t have a girlfriend... she can´t leave you.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit playing Dota for my gf. Mobas are too time and attention demanding to be compatible with a relationship
I did the same for my wife.

It was manageable since a lot of people I know played it; and we are all a bunch of 30 year olds.

But you can't pause, some games gets too tense and toxic that I realised I don't want that to bleed into my married life and stopped playing for the greater good.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
One of my exes was basically addicted and I won't deny it was a factor in things not working out. There were times I'd come over and his 'one more game' would turn into a whole evening.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Not LoL but one of my friends just got divorced from her husband of 11 years that she had children with because the second he got home be put wow on until the second he went to bed and started shouting at her or the kids if they disturbed him.

He did continue going to work though.

He had been doing that the last two to three years since she got him a gaming laptop for Christmas so she blamed herself for it.

yikes, the husband didn't care?

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used a LOT of my time in college playing league.

Probably put about 3000+ hours of my life in that game total. No Regrets.

Ok maybe some regrets. I Never made Masters and only got to D1 during my last year at college. Then I got a job now I don't have time for something like League anymore.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that's insane about league is that a single match is pretty much guaranteed to last 45 minutes to an hour or longer. Unless you absolutely stomp the other team or get stomped its always going to be about that long for a single match. If you're the type of person to not want to quit a game on a loss or "just one more" you can easily blow an entire evening on just a handful of games.

Something else to think about outside the whole addiction aspect is that when my friend was depressed I noticed he used the game as a crutch to avoid coming to grips with the issues in his life since you pretty much have to hyper focus on the game itself. It let him ignore his own problems for hour long chunks at a time and he played the game constantly.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Heard of this frequently with the same people jumping from WoW to LoL to PUBG to Fortnite and other similarly addictive multiplayer games. They don't even seem to enjoy themselves and play out of a compulsion to grind currency or move up in ranks.
Those games all have a lot of mechanics which claim to reward frequent play but are likely designed in a predatory manner to punish infrequent play and encourage it as a compulsion.

Wolshen

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of women play LoL, and they do get addicted too, its something that can affect everyone (sadly)

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I almost lost my gf (we were 24) to a different MOBA called Heroes of the Storm (lmao) back when it first came out.

She would drive 4hrs every weekend to spend it with me, but I would essentially ignore her for the rest of the day after having sex.

It's not an excuse, but I wasn't happy with my life at the moment, and used the game/friends I made on there as a distraction from reality.

She eventually dumped me because of it, but thankfully we worked it out a couple of weeks later. We're going on 6 years in July.

I actually play LoL these days, but in moderation. I got back in college full time, so I balance my course load and my job, then I'll probably hop on for a couple rounds at night.

The allure of the genre from what I see is the satisfaction I would get from "building" my champion up due to proper farming and macro skill throughout the entire 40-45 min match.That feeling made me feel like I didn't suck at life. In that moment, I'm doing great at my current focus (the match).

Anyway, I feel like MMOs can be worse in regards to this. I know folks who get home from work and immediately hop on FFXIV until they go to bed.

Last edited:

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like console players don't understand how addictive LoL is or some online games can be. I wasted around ~3000 hours on it in a span of 3 years, until i couldn't handle the stress anymore but the game is dangerously addictive.

As much as i don't like China's practices, i do think that some kind of limitation should be applied to online games to prevent extreme cases like this.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I only know a couple of people who played LoL. One of them played casually every once in a while, the other was addicted and didn't do anything else. He got a job recently and stopped playing altogether, so I guess it's all or nothing for a lot of people.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
In college one of the guys who lived in the same house as me spent literally 2 years just playing Championship Manager. He barely set foot in the campus. Hell, he barely left the house. It was sad to watch. Fortunately he turned things around eventually.
Don't know anyone who plays LoL irl.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I left one of my boyfriends because of that. At some point I realized these games scratch that animal "team competition" itch we all humans have. But if you can't fight it and get some perspective on the real life surrounding you, that's not my problem.

Oct 27, 2017
I almost lost my gf (we were 24) to a different MOBA called Heroes of the Storm back when it first came out.

source.gif

I feel like console players don't understand how addictive LoL is or some online games can be. I wasted around ~3000 hours on it in a span of 3 years, until i couldn't handle the stress anymore but the game is dangerously addictive.

As much as i don't like China's practices, i do think that some kind of limitation should be applied to online games to prevent extreme cases like this.

Yep, the laws and regulations completely ignore powerful tools slowing down the game addiction. If you have a personal account, which only you have the rights to use, you should not be allowed to play for more than... 6? hours.

I am steering clear of competitive games, because I don't want to uncover another LoL. Something about that game was making me queue up again and again, even if I had a horrible experience in the previous game, I would just dive right back into that toilet.

Nowdays, if the game isn't fun at the moment: Alt + F4, and off to watching hentai :omegalul

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when my coworker Josh had his girlfriend leave him over EverQuest. He then lost his job at Software Etc for the same reason.

That was, somehow, 20 years ago.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

Yep, the laws and regulations completely ignore powerful tools slowing down the game addiction. If you have a personal account, which only you have the rights to use, you should not be allowed to play for more than... 6? hours.

I am steering clear of competitive games, because I don't want to uncover another LoL. Something about that game was making me queue up again and again, even if I had a horrible experience in the previous game, I would just dive right back into that toilet.

Nowdays, if the game isn't fun at the moment: Alt + F4, and off to watching hentai :omegalul
So true, it basically becomes an abusive cycle of stress and anger until you get a good game that pumps you up with all that dopamine for the addiction to continue. Shit is crazy.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, everybody is addicted to something. Some people are addicted to TV, some to books, some to social media, some to shopping, etc. etc. These people just were not right for each other. Blaming LoL or any other game is rididulous.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I thought the title meant that the women were the ones addicted to LoL and there was nothing wrong with it.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So true, it basically becomes an abusive cycle of stress and anger until you get a good game that pumps you up with all that dopamine for the addiction to continue. Shit is crazy.

That's always how I perceived it from the outside. Like why would I ever want to interact with these toxic jerkoffs who play the game if the only reward is winning and making them mad, in turn? It all just seemed very inherently negative.

I mean I'm sure there are pockets of constructive, helpful players but mostly it seems to be a cycle of frustration and relief, like you said.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I personally know a bunch of people whose relationships fell apart in the initial years of WoW. My own avoided that fate only barely.
If you're at the age where a game can just swallow you and you don't recognize the risks and /or have no experience with managing your playtime properly, it can spiral out of control pretty easily.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
When does something count as an addiction though?

400 Hours a year sound like much, but put into context it's ONE! hour of gaming time a day. Most people who play League only play League.

Oct 27, 2017
That's always how I perceived it from the outside. Like why would I ever want to interact with these toxic jerkoffs who play the game if the only reward is winning and making them mad, in turn? It all just seemed very inherently negative.

I mean I'm sure there are pockets of constructive, helpful players but mostly it seems to be a cycle of frustration and relief, like you said.

What if a part of the fun is interacting and observing the toxic people? What if... I was toxic?

Looking back, there were good times, but if I had to measure how much of it was "grind" and how much of it was "fun", I would probably not play the game. One thing for sure, if it wasn't for Duo, I would have NEVER played the game in ranked. It was always an army of two.

Honestly, do you guys not like seeing two top laners rage at each other in ALL chat? Is there not a sliver of entertainment? And sometimes, all it takes is a spark from the isolated support to begin the madness. Icing on the cake is when the enemy team flames each other, then you just grab popcorn.

377286b8cc4e5add-guy-eating-popcorn-gif-1-gif-images-download.gif

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of my friends failed / dropped out of computer science at university because of LoL.
Honestly, do you guys not like seeing two top laners rage at each other in ALL chat? Is there not a sliver of entertainment? And sometimes, all it takes is a spark from the isolated support to begin the madness. Icing on the cake is when the enemy team flames each other, then you just grab popcorn.

areyounotentertained.gif

Last edited:

Pegaknight

Dec 1, 2019
Things like this are both silly and very sad.

I've seen something about Fortnite being cited as reasons in divorce papers.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017

It gets divided into two sides that are equally horrible. One side that spreads Toxicity to others in an attempt to relieve the anger they're feeling and the opposite side which is more defined with self-hate. The thing is that the highs of long close games, big comebacks and etc are HIGH and they will always be among my best gaming memories ever, but on the other side between those singular highs are many stressful lows that put you in situations that i described above.

Competitive multiplayer attitude is a tricky thing to nail and is definitely not for everybody. I'm much more relaxed after moving to casual MP and single player games.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I was pretty deep into WoW for about a year and a half back in the day, and in college CS and UO. Of those the CS/UO probably did the most damage due to my academics, though I still graduated on time. WoW mostly just hurt my social life but never to the point of ditching friends or screwing with my job.

At this point when I play MMOs I pretty much stick to a '99% solo' playstyle, just grouping when necessary and skipping out on raiding type stuff. Rarely play other online MP games. I think Splatoon 2 was the last I played much of and the wife at least enjoyed watching me play.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about married people or adults, but teenagers and boy/girlfriends fighting/breaking up over LoL was common. Some people I know also willingly quit DotA2 and/or LoL because of how much they were playing and it would affect their studies.

On the other hand, one of the best illustrators I know played LoL regularly and used the downtime between matches to practice drawing, which led to he filling entire sketchbooks on record time.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I know a guy whose gf left him over his LoL addiction. I had friends over the years who were into WoW etc but nothing that serious ever happened. Not into Mobas myself, dunno if/what is so different with them.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I knew one kid in high school who dropped out due to Everquest... I think he probably later completed high school. I have never known anyone who experienced anything any more dramatic than that due to their unhealthy relationship with video games. Knowing ten people who have had catastrophic collapses in their relationships due to LoL seems genuinely crazy to me.

This is real, though.
I hate when non-gamers say "can't you just pause for a second, you have to come here right now!"
There's no pause in online games and I'm playing Ranked! :p

Quitting mid-match in a team based game would be pretty poor form. Of course, that is a situation that is very easily solved through communication with your significant other.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I mean, everybody is addicted to something. Some people are addicted to TV, some to books, some to social media, some to shopping, etc. etc. These people just were not right for each other. Blaming LoL or any other game is rididulous.
Everyone is certainly not addicted to something. Addiction is not just a hobby even if you spend a lot of time and money on it. This is very dismissive of the distinction for people who really do need help

Dec 2, 2017
Quitting mid-match in a team based game would be pretty poor form. Of course, that is a situation that is very easily solved through communication with your significant other.
This very much depends on the significant other.

The truth of relationships is that partners will start arguments for the sake of arguments if they're bored, unhappy or feeling ignored. Some more than others.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know someone who's husband got fired after being addicted to Fortnite while supposedly "working from home".

Seems to have gotten a new job, and they're still together, but they both seem like pretty crappy people in general so meh. Only really feel bad for their daughter.

May 25, 2019
London
I think the structure of a League match really exacerbates "gaming addiction" more than other types of games. You spend the first 10-15 minutes just building up gold and experience in a game while attempting to steal some kills and position yourself for the late game. Most League matches (at least when I was playing, back in 2013-2014) would go anywhere from 40-50 minutes. That is a huge time investment for a single match, and it's only really in the back half of that time window that the game is actually "fun" - you have your skills leveled, you have the items you want for your champion's build, you're getting into high-stakes team fights all over the map, etc.

When you win a match, it totally validates all of that time and effort and you want to double down. When you lose a match, you want to chase that feeling of the late game, so you queue for another 45 minute session. I used to think a 25 minute game of Starcraft was really, really long, but you could fit two or three games of Starcraft into the timespan of a single League match.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
it happend a 10-15 years ago with world of warcraft, late 90s with ultima online and everquest. I'm sure there are teenagers today who are addicted to fortnite.

It happens, no different than drugs or alcohol or gambling there are aspects of some multiplayer games that are very similar and you don't need to spend years on a study to see how and why. Most people aren't addicted to stuff, just like most gamers can give up the games easy. Some can't, and its sad, and we definitely need better support systems and rehab programs to deal with it just like any other addiction. Drugs and alcohol are I guess interesting in that they are physical addictions that some (many/most in the case of drugs I imagine) can't quit once you start. Sugar some people think is similar.

I'd say the one interesting thing about games is it always seems to be multiplayer focused and very specific incidents, you don't hear many (any?) cases of addiction to Call of Duty or Destiny or Minecraft or Fallout even though they could share some of the same characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.