• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone in a relationship ever been in this position or known someone who was? Ie you meet another person and fall for them - to clarify, not cheating, just having thoughts about being with them, or that person making you wonder about being single again. To make things simpler - not married, no kids.

How did you deal with it? Was the then current relationship going well or not at the time? What ended up happening?

Last edited:

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Are you married? Do you have kids?

you only think of another person if in your mind and heart, your needs in the relationship are not being met

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
a couple of gf's ago I had an ex meet someone else. We broke up, she went on to marry him. Our relation at the time was not good at all.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I think every relationship of mine I've had ended by my partner "meeting" someone else. Far more likely that they were borderline cheating on you with this person for days or weeks beforehand and finally just built up the courage to end it.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
you only think of another person if in your mind and heart, your needs in the relationship are not being met
Oh, I think that's nonsense, tbh. Sometimes people might entertain a little crush because that's just something our brains do. You might be more inclined to act on it if your needs/wants are not being met, but sometimes you just feel an attraction to people. It's not horrible and it doesn't have to mean anything. What matters is if it becomes anything at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone in a relationship ever been in this position or known someone who was? Ie you meet another person and fall for them - to clarify, not cheating, just having thoughts about being with them, or that person making you wonder about being single again. To make things simpler - not married, no kids.

How did you deal with it? Was the then current relationship going well or not at the time? What ended up happening?
Sorry dude.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Oh, I think that's nonsense, tbh. Sometimes people might entertain a little crush because that's just something our brains do. You might be more inclined to act on it if your needs/wants are not being met, but sometimes you just feel an attraction to people. It's not horrible and it doesn't have to mean anything. What matters is if it becomes anything at all.

i dont think the OP is talking of the passing thought. I think he is referring to actively wishing and perhaps hoping, if im not mistaken OP

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
Love and relationships can be complicated. Things aren't just black and white and you can have feelings for more than 1 person. I don't know if people are supposed to be monogamous.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Saying that you're having thoughts about other people is one thing. If you're in a committed, monogamous relationship and you can safely say you've "met" someone new, you've already crossed the line of emotional infidelity.

Not all infidelity is physical.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Saying that you're having thoughts about other people is one thing. If you're in a committed, monogamous relationship and you can safely say you've "met" someone new, you've already crossed the line of emotional infidelity.

god i hate this term. It sounds so vague and loaded; it makes my brain wrinkle. You should probably be talking to your SO if shit like this happens, but I really hope we're not guilt tripping people for amicably talking to someone else; I'd still rank that in the "it's nothing" zone.

I've ""met someone"" and realized it was nothing but me fancying someone for a brief-ass period of time before getting over it like a dumb high school crush.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me, but I ended up cheating then breaking up and starting a relationship with the new girl. We've been together for 10 years now and have a child together.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happened to me, but I ended up cheating then breaking up and starting a relationship with the new girl. We've been together for 10 years now and have a child together.

Sorta the reason why the 'met someone' thing doesn't sound terrible to me, TBH. I dunno, it'll sting a bit at first, but why hold back someone else's happiness; especially where in a few cases it can really turn out to be for the better.

Congrats, Jubbe!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
god i hate this term. It sounds so vague and loaded; it makes my brain wrinkle. You should probably be talking to your SO if shit like this happens, but I really hope we're not guilt tripping people for amicably talking to someone else; I'd still rank that in the "it's nothing" zone.

I've ""met someone"" and realized it was nothing but me fancying someone for a brief-ass period of time before getting over it like a dumb high school crush.
Unfortunately we need terms like this because lots of people still insist that if you didn't make out with someone you didn't do anything wrong.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I think every relationship of mine I've had ended by my partner "meeting" someone else. Far more likely that they were borderline cheating on you with this person for days or weeks beforehand and finally just built up the courage to end it.

Yep. Happened to me, only we were married. One day she called from her therapist's office to tell me she had feelings for someone else.

I thought she was in therapy for sexual abuse.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yep. Happened to me, only we were married. One day she called from her therapist's office to tell me she had feelings for someone else.

I thought she was in therapy for sexual abuse.

It might just be the bitterness talking, but it makes you wonder why you should even bother with relationships if they're just gonna be such fickle things that begin and end so frivolously.

Apr 14, 2018
Had this happen to me a few times, but we were young and the relationships weren't particularly long. It still hurt, but moving on was fairly painless.

Now that I'm in my 30s and committed to a woman who I have every intention of spending the rest of my life with, I can't even fathom what I'd do if she suddenly came home and told me she met someone else. Hell, even if I started to catch feelings for someone else I'd sooner eliminate them from my life and work things out on the home front than throw an amazing relationship away for a what-if.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My ex met someone else went on to marry him . We were already not working I just didn't see it then etc . Overall turned out well for everyone involved imo

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been married for 10 years and my wife just dropped the "I'm not in love with you anymore" and "I have feelings for someone else" on me. I'm a complete wreck and I don't even know what I'm gonna do. She wants to stay friends, but I'm just not sure I can handle it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I've been married for 10 years and my wife just dropped the "I'm not in love with you anymore" and "I have feelings for someone else" on me. I'm a complete wreck and I don't even know what I'm gonna do. She wants to stay friends, but I'm just not sure I can handle it.
That's certainly is something. Hope it works out for you.

Oct 25, 2017
It might just be the bitterness talking, but it makes you wonder why you should even bother with relationships if they're just gonna be such fickle things that begin and end so frivolously.

Because the potential upsides are potentially worth it.

As someone who never dated heavily and is happy in his relationship I don't envy the people who are still in the pool, especially since it seems like once you're out of college it becomes much, much harder to meet people.

Oct 27, 2017
So you need to talk to someone who isn't your wife as soon as possible if you haven't already. Friend or family member you trust who is gonna have YOUR back right now, so NOT a mutual friend if it can be avoided.

You either rip off the band aid or you peel it off slowly: either way the same scar is gonna be there and your gonna have to deal with the same shit. Grief is an absolute MF and is different for everyone. Use youtube or whatever resources you have to educate yourself as much as possible through out the process when you feel you can; not right now necessarily but keep it in mind. Godspeed.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think about it sometimes. I really don't mind though. I don't believe in "emotional infidelity" unless there's neglect involved. Basically, be upfront.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Yes, except she had already banged him and then we had breakup sex, then she called me a week later and told me she had chlamydia and I should get checked and then I did a week of antibiotics to only find out later that she actually didn't.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Maintaining friendships with exes is never a good idea. Ever. Clean cut, for your own mental wellbeing.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I was with my ex for 3 years and we were going to get married. Then she met someone else. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me at the time and for 1 year after. And I was run over by a drunk driver exactly 1 week after that and broke both femurs and right hip, the breakup was worse than that... Heartbreak is real. 1.5 years on and I'm walking again with just a minor limp and moved on emotionally with a new girl. 2017 was a trash tier year. Looking back though I'd say I'm blessed, not just because I survived the accident. Also because she just wasn't the one and I can see clearly now all the flaws in our relationship.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go rub one out and rethink the question again.

This is the real solution...if you still feel this way even afterward then re-assess.

If you have kids you kind of have to be on good terms for their sake. But yeah that sucks. I went through something similar before we had kids but supposedly she realized the error of her ways so I forgave her. Now we have a daughter and I don't want to live in poverty in LA so we're kind of like really good room mates and friends.

I could find someone else but I'm too fucking lazy. Sad but true but I love my kid and don't want to put her through the divorce and joint custody bullshit.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's definitely happened to me, and upon reflection I know the relationship wouldn't have been a happy one in the long run anyway so it was for the best.

It's heartbreaking in the short term though, especially if everything seems great from your end.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maintaining friendships with exes is never a good idea. Ever. Clean cut, for your own mental wellbeing.

This isn't true at all. You can be a mature adult and maintain a friendship with an ex, in fact if you have children it is required for you to do so. I feel like this sentiment exists for people that either haven't had mature relationships or very few relationships.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't true at all. You can be a mature adult and maintain a friendship with an ex, in fact if you have children it is required for you to do so. I feel like this sentiment exists for people that either haven't had mature relationships or very few relationships.
Having a child changes stuff. The reason they are staying friends has less to with being "mature" and more to do with their kid. They love their kid more than the hate each other.

Tbf, mature means nothing, the only important thing about being an adult is accepting responsibility for your actions.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
We've all known those girls (and guys) that are never really single. I have one friend that is seemingly never single longer than a week. I've never figured out if she waits until she has someone else to break up or if she just has a lot of someone else's in case she needs to break up.

Oct 25, 2017
China
We've all known those girls (and guys) that are never really single. I have one friend that is seemingly never single longer than a week. I've never figured out if she waits until she has someone else to break up or if she just has a lot of someone else's in case she needs to break up.
A monkey won't swing from a tree unless they know they can reach the other branch.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me, only we were married for four years. I don't really have any advice beyond lawyering up yesterday and grabbing phone/text records if y'all shared a plan. It'll be useful in proving infidelity.

I'm really sorry. It's the worst feeling in the world. I couldn't imagine staying friends with someone who did that to me.

Protect yourself.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

....Yeah it is. I can't say you've cheated if you haven't done anything. When you phrase it like this that means it's literally impossible to not cheat by breaking off a relationship to date someone new, even if you've never done anything with the new person yet. That means every person who's ever said "if you're going to cheat, just end the relationship" is stating something impossible.

I dunno man, that shit sounds like a myth. Like maybe there are some people who can make that happen, but generally break ups are so messy that a "friendship" is highly unlikely. You can be professional about it, though. Speaking of:

If you don't have kids, just cut ties man. It sucks and it hurts, but all this "being friends" shit is something a person who won the break up says. And when i say cut ties, I don't mean say anything mean or nasty to her. Just don't contact them for a while. That kinda pain doesn't go away over night, and you should be allowed time to heal. You can be fake friends--wave if you see them out in public--but real friends? That's going to take time, and she should be able to accept that.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It's fine if you have met someone else and want to move on from your current relationship.

Just try to do it in a sensitive way. That will be difficult. People seem to think you should spare the current significant others' feelings somehow. If you break up with someone, I don't think there is a way to do this. You could just be as matter as fact as you can and say that you want to end the relationship and leave it at that.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was the guy my ex met, then she met someone else. She was not a cheater mind you, it just happens. It's neither good nor bad, it's life.