• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wanted to fit more in the title, but there wasn't enough space.

I absolutely love the 3D Mario games and Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all time. I've recently played A Hat in Time and even though I liked it overall, it's levels were pretty hit or miss for me. So now I'm looking for something new to scratch that 3D platformer/collectathon itch. Spyro caught my attention since it's currently €25 on the Dutch PSN store, which isn't a lot for 3 games of course, but having never played a game in the series before I'm not sure if it's for me. Crash Bandicoot doesn't do anything for me, and the bigger levels from games like Banjo-Tooie and Yooka-Laylee doesn't feel as tightly designed to me as other games I've mentioned before. And looking at Spyro footage, the levels look pretty big.

So long question short; would I like the Spyro Trilogy if I love games like Super Mario 64/Odyssey/Banjo-Kazooie, but don't love Banjo-Tooie/Yooka-Laylee/Crash Bandicoot?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
The Trilogy after some patches is great now. The best way to describe it with the games you listed is that their feel is like a free form Banjo Kazooie. Fewer objectives and more exploration/collecting. The games show some age but as someone who played them first in the Trilogy they are relaxing fun.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Spyro is closer to Mario 64 than anything else in terms of objectives, so definitely. The trilogy got a lot better with patches.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The levels aren't as big, they're decently sized enough but there's such a ton of variety that you'll find yourself in a wonderful adventure. As far as 3D platformers goes, Spyro is one of the most imaginative and brimming with creativity at every corner. Insomniac treated their main demographic, children as the most patrician audience of all who only deserves the very best from top to bottom without any condescension or sneer. It's a genuine and sincere series who aims to offer a wonderful experience, and it delivers.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes, the Spyro games are pure joy if you like more exploration and discovery focused platformers similar to Mario 64. I never felt like the size of the levels was an issue.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, absolutely, but know they did little to change the way they play from their original versions. It's definitely not as forgiving as more modern platformers.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just be aware that Spyro 1 is a completely different beast. The sequels are packed with cutscenes, mini games, backtracking with better abilities etc.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll get a sort of game design whiplash if you play them in succession lol.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played Trilogy, but I played the port of original PS1 Spyro about two years back for the first time. Really fun. A lot of levels were more straight forward platforming towards the end of a level and the bosses were a bit simple, but I was impressed by the variety in worlds / levels.

Also played a bit of the original Spyro 2 right after it. I felt that one was closer to Banjo Kazooie with its NPCs and minigame sidequests to get more collectibles. Didn't finish it, but also had a really good time with it.