• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Endings are the thing that scare me the most," admits J.J. Abrams, which means co-writing and directing Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker must have been at least a little terrifying.

"This is about bringing this thing to a close in a way that is emotional and meaningful and also satisfying in terms of actually answering [as many] questions as possible," Abrams tells EW in its November issue. "So if years from now, someone's watching these movies, all nine of them, they're watching a story that is as cohesive as possible."

That said, Abrams noted that in writing the film (along with Chris Terrio), the filmmaker left room for inspiration and the unexpected. "While there were many things that were planned for and discussed — George Lucas himself said when he created this he saw it as three, three-act plays — that doesn't mean there isn't discovery, that doesn't mean there aren't things that come up that make you realize, 'Oh, here's an opportunity,'" adds Abrams, who returned to helm the final Skywalker Saga chapter after directing 2015's The Force Awakens. "It also doesn't mean that there's a list of payoffs that we have to do because of setups. But we also were very much aware this is the end of the trilogy and it needs to satisfy. We went into this thing knowing it has to be an ending. We're not screwing around."

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
My expectations are very tempered, and it has nothing to do with TLJedi. So many rumors and things circling around that make me shake my head. I really really hope they stick the landing

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel it will mostly be an ending to the OT and ST with the bare minimum acknowledgement of the PT because of Abrams.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
JJ Abrams has never had a satisfying ending in anything he's ever done, so...

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Why do I feel it will mostly be an ending to the OT and ST with the bare minimum acknowledgement of the PT because of Abrams.

Ben and Rey fight Palpatine but Palpatine breaks through their defenses.

Ben and Rey are on the ground defeated. Palpatine is about to electrocute them to death and then Rey's lightsaber flies from the ground to behind Palpatine. A familiar voice is heard.

"This is the end for you, my master."

Palpatine turns. "You!?!?!"

Anakin Skywalker steps out of a Force Nexus and smirks. "This is where the fun begins."

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I fear it's going to be an ending very close to how Rotj ends in terms of power Dynamics and hero journey.
I wonder how they d make it differently to give a different flavor of closure this time

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reading the spoilers makes me so excited to see reactions to this cohesive ending.

It already had a satisfying ending. It had one for thirty odd years.
Thats the frustrating part. For whatever we want to say about return of the jedi, that movie had one of the best endings to a trilogy ever. Sucks that this sequel trilogy has retroactively mucked that up

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ben and Rey are on the ground defeated. Palpatine is about to electrocute them to death and then Rey's lightsaber flies from the ground to behind Palpatine. A familiar voice is heard.

Anakin Skywalker steps out of a Force Nexus and smirks. "This is where the fun begins."

"i'll try spinning, thats a good trick"
source.gif

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So he's ending this trilogy of trilogies with an ending? Cool. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Until we get the Sequel Sequel Trilogy when Disney realizes that they aren't making as much bank without the Skywalkers and they introduce Luke Skywalker's bastard son/daughter.

Or they'll bring in Ben Solo's bastard son/ daughter. He's been the Supreme Leader for one year by the start of TROS. You can't tell me that Ben isn't fucking groups on women in that one year.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

Old fucked up Anakin or young for some godamn reason Anakin?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations are very tempered, and it has nothing to do with TLJedi. So many rumors and things circling around that make me shake my head. I really really hope they stick the landing

Same. JJ Abrams directing an ending for pretty much the first time in his career, written by the guy who wrote Batman v. Superman is...well I can't say I'm not curious, but a lot of that curiosity is of the morbid variety.

Hayden.

Sebastian Shaw is dead plus because of the edits and the prequels, everyone associates Hayden with Anakin way more than Sebastian.

Also Sebastian Shaw, even in 1983, would be over 30 years too old to play Anakin at the time of his death now that the prequels changed the timeline. Hayden is much closer to the correct age now than Shaw was then.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I could buy this if any of the seeds of the plot of the ST were sewn in either the PT or the OT, but they weren't. And yeah, they're bringing back Palpatine but it seems so abrupt and random, why couldn't they have done this in TFA?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wizard.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017

Um can you spoiler tag stuff from the leaked script please?
Thanks

Dec 12, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
So in other words, they've been screwing around with a list of payoffs and now have to actually make an ending?

These types of interviews cause shaky nerves, perhaps the worst one in recent memory being the one given ahead of the release of Mass Effect 3.

Endings can be tricky. The ROTJ ending was a tidy end to the immediate conflict, but people assumed that once the emperor was dead the main characters no longer had any lingering problems. Still, it didn't take the arrival of a new trilogy to have this movie's ending changed, you'd think an ending like "yub nub" couldn't be missed.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Personally, Clone Anakin should've been the Big Bad and it's easy to justify. Maybe Palpatine had just started to clone Anakin in case Luke was no longer an option as a Plan B.

It also shits less on the OT than a revived Palpatine. I mean a clone is stupid but not any less stupid than Palpatine coming back.

And considering how much Ben venerated his own grandfather, he'd feel a sense of kinship and loyalty to a clone of his own grandfather and I could see a scenario where Ben abandons Luke and Leia for Anaakin to get that sense of belonging.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, Clone Anakin should've been the Big Bad and it's easy to justify. Maybe Palpatine had just started to clone Anakin in case Luke was no longer an option as a Plan B.

It also shits less on the OT than a revived Palpatine. I mean a clone is stupid but not any less stupid than Palpatine coming back.

And considering how much Ben venerated his own grandfather, he'd feel a sense of kinship and loyalty to a clone of his own grandfather and I could see a scenario where Ben abandons Luke and Leia for Anaakin to get that sense of belonging.
That would be fucking awful.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who really liked The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, dear god I really hope I like this movie. If I do then I'll have a complete six-movie saga (starting from ANH) that I love, but if this stumbles at the finish line then it's going to be such a waste.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That would be fucking awful.

We're already there with Palpatine.

I mean Ben Solo should be the actual Big Bad but I'd rather have Anakin than Palpatine is what I'm saying. At least, Anakin even a clone of him has a connection to Ben and Rey with Ben being his grandson and Rey inheriting his lightsaber.

Last edited: