• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it any worse than Sheev coming back?
Ehhhh. In theory, i've got no problem with that.

HOWEVER (LOL) The fact that this ST has nothing but a retread of the OT, coupled with the way (according to the leaks) they're bring him back. I'm not down with.

At this point, i'm in it just for Senate's scene chewing. 🤣

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't imagine JJ Abrams being responsible for a cohesive ending to anything, never mind the Star Wars saga.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm scared but also intrigued. It's very, very important to remember that the prequels are trash.

Remember when Hayden Christensen showed up at the end of RotJ?

SAk7k7K.png

♫ One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. ♫

So what I'm saying is, Rise of Skywalker needs to somehow reference the prequels without getting infected, as the Original Trilogy was with all of Lucas's brilliant and very necessary revisions.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared but also intrigued. It's very, very important to remember that the prequels are trash.

SAk7k7K.png

♫ One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. ♫

So what I'm saying is, Rise of Skywalker needs to somehow reference the prequels without getting infected, as the Original Trilogy was with all of Lucas's brilliant and very necessary revisions.
Having Hayden there makes total sense, come on.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

SAk7k7K.png

Nah fuck that. Pandering to prequel hate got us into this mess and pissed off the generation that grew with them.

Maybe, just maybe....don't throw your own successful movies and world building that defined Star Wars for those of us who were 12 at the time under the bus because some misogynistic assholes on the internet made a video about it?

Imagine if Marvel started tripping over itself to pretend Thor 2 never happened.

There's much better ways to change direction without directly ignoring part of your franchise

The 180 you're currently seeing from JJ is happening exactly because it was a stupid call. Only now it feels forced and unearned, both as a ROTJ replacement as well as even pretending he cares about the PT.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nah fuck that. Pandering to prequel hate got us into this mess and pissed off the generation that grew with them.

Maybe, just maybe....don't throw your own successful movies and world building that defined Star Wars for those of us who were 12 at the time under the bus because some misogynistic assholes on the internet made a video about it?

Imagine if Marvel started tripping over itself to pretend Thor 2 never happened.

There's much better ways to change direction without directly ignoring part of your franchise

The 180 you're currently seeing from JJ is happening exactly because it was a stupid call.
I'm hoping for the best but you could be right.

Fine, it does make sense, but his presence is a sad reminder of his very bad acting, and the awful quality of the prequels. Sebastian Shaw as Anakin wasn't some glaring issue that needed to be fixed. His replacement in that scene is Lucas screwing with his own art just because he can.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's the greatest change of the special editions

Maybe if it was actually a take of Hayden acting with that scene in mind, but I can see why one would think it looks off.

Still, yeah, if Anakin comes back (I'm sure he won't beyond some quick "smile and wave" ghosty thing at the end at best) it should be Hayden,

Yeah, but he created the show. He didn't write and direct every episode. But anyway, my expectations are lukewarm at this point. It can't be worse than the previous two films though can it?

*Checks Leaks"

tenor.gif

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This will be an absolute car crash of a movie. I have zero confidence in JJ, big hack that he is.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
im a fan of the sequel trilogy, the spin offs like RO and Solo and I don't hate the prequels, in fact i really like the prequels despite their flaws... but RoTJ was a perfectly fine and cohesive ending for all 6 of those movies at the time (after PT was released obviously). we didn't need to tie in 3 more to this "saga". i really wish they'd have just started fresh with a new story

I feel like the sequel-trilogy is even more bland than the prequel-trilogy. With the prequels it sort of added some parts to the story you sort of knew or expected from the story of ep 4-6. It was told in a weird way were people criticized many elements of the story.

But the sequel gave nothing expect for some nice scenes to look at. There's nothing that adds to the whole story, there's nothing to talk about. It's just completely bland and forgettable.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
None of the sequel movies have done anything to set up an over arching conclusion... how in the hell is he gonna do that in one movie ._.

Actually it kinda undercuts the original point that he returned to the light at the very end.

You're in a crazy fan bubble if you think Disney will ever put anything from the Prequels in their movies. To them, the prequels are poison and only have negative connotations. Notice how theres literally zero aliens and planets from the prequels? They're trying not to remind people they exist.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Maybe it's an ending to all 9 films INDIVIDUALLY rather than as a whole

Rey and Kylo use the force to travel through time to the endings of all the previous movies

They go back to give Chewie a medal in new hope, steal the glowing ball boss nass holds up in phantom menace, bring back Yub Nub to ROTJ...

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I hope George Lucas has been involved in making it and I hope it is good.
he was involved since TFA.

Lucas has not been involved in these movies beyond giving Lucasfilm the outline he'd planned to use for 7, which was largely discarded for TFA. The notion that Lucas has been secretly guiding the sequel trilogy is a batshit weirdo conspiracy theory on par with the Snyder Cut nonsense.

None of the sequel movies have done anything to set up an over arching conclusion... how in the hell is he gonna do that in one movie ._.

Actually it kinda undercuts the original point that he returned to the light at the very end.

You're in a crazy fan bubble if you think Disney will ever put anything from the Prequels in their movies. To them, the prequels are poison and only have negative connotations. Notice how theres literally zero aliens and planets from the prequels? They're trying not to remind people they exist.

What are you talking about? Star Wars Land has a number of prequel references, several prequel-era flags are hung above Maz's place, Ewan McGregor has a line in one of Rey's flashbacks, several novels have dealt directly with prequel era stuff, and they greenlit a new season of Clone Wars.

Obviously they're not going to have Jar Jar show up or bring back Jake Lloyd or some shit but they have not been shunning the prequels any more than you'd expect considering they happened 50+ years ago by the time of the 7-9 trilogy.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much time has passed in this one?

Maybe the sweeper boy can be brought into the fold.

I think they'll probably bring back the Republic of some sort, whoever joins the battle at the end will be the foundation, all those flags etc. So you have that, the Skywalker Academy. A soft reset that can be explored not blown up like TFA.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Love most of JJs stuff. This thread is an echo chamber. Same post after post. Imagine going into threads to complain about something you don't have any interest for.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
JJ is abrams is literally the worst person on earth to be given the task of ending a 9 film saga. The movie is going to be a flaming mess. I CAN'T WAIT

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless 7 and 8 (especially 8) are retconned by time travel or something, there's no way to salvage this. As a life long star wars fan I just don't care about this new trilogy or how it ends.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Good job tying the conclusion of The Skywalker Saga to someone who isn't a Skywalker.

No one wants to see Star Wars fail but damn it i want to bang my head into the wall.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ Abrams will unintentionally unite old school Trekkies and Star Wars fans.
Nah, the old school star wars fans actually like the films for the most part.

The loud angry voices are mostly manchildren who can't handle their precious childhood hero not being a one dimensional super hero Goku like character or sexists who are still bent over shape over a "Mary Sue" being the lead.

The idea that Star Wars fans don't like the sequels is complete and utter bullshit. Just check the Star Wars community thread here.

Last edited:

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
J.J. Abrams said:
Endings are the thing that scare me the most
It shows.

Have you not seen Solo yet? Its prequel reference is ham-fisted and terrible, but it's there.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow so much negativity. The JJ ending thing is a meme which apparently has been embraced as real...
The weirdest thing is *ALL* the long-form endings people meme about for JJ....were not written or directed by JJ.

Like, why do people think he had anything to do with Lost and how it ended?

Repeatijg memes so often that people believe they are true.

Last edited:

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
What a dumpster fire of a thread. 90% of the posts trolling JJ. MI3 and Super 8 had good endings...thanks and bye.

Whatever. So hyped for this film

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

LOOOL, you really should watch Solo and Rogue One then, Darth Maul and Bail Organa (With Prequel actors even) are like what? OT characters? and of course Kenobi Series using Ewan McGregor isn't happening right?

Last edited:

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the old school star wars fans actually like the films for the most part.

The loud angry voices are mostly manchildren who can't handle their precious childhood hero not being a one dimensional super hero Goku like character or sexists who are still bent over shape over a "Mary Sue" being the lead.

The idea that Star Wars fans don't like the sequels is complete and utter bullshit. Just check the Star Wars community thread here.
"It's not my fault, it's the sexists."

-a master of fiction writing, late 2010s