• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

George Lucas, speech to Congress, 1988
w3hUyFC.gif

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I just dislike the original white walls, agree that the cgi sucks.
I don't mind the changes either. ESB has the least amount of changes/additions and most are fine, like the wampa. It would have been better if there was effort made to make the new material look more like the original rather than it sticking out so obviously.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Respecting Lucas' vision is a garbage excuse, although I have no doubt that is the official policy at LF. He has no claim on Empire or ROTJ.
Or maybe they don't have the original cut and don't want to admit it? 🤣
They don't need the original negatives. Fans have restored the OT to 4K resolution using gnarly 35mm reels.

At any rate, if it was simply an issue with the negatives or the restoration process, I'm sure JJ would be able to wrap his head around it. The only obstacles in play are legal or political.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's totally worth noting that there are people that sell the Despecialized editions on Blu-Ray with slick cover art, interactive menus and special features so Disney/LF are literally being bested by community efforts sold on eBay which is frankly embarrassing.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Honestly this is the one thing I hate that Lucas did to the series. So disrespectful to the people who worked on the three films and so many of the changes actively undermine storytelling beats.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad, I'd buy the OT again for sure. All the changes make it a worse experience. It's like an injection of PT crap into the classic OT.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't more things added to the Disney+ ones, though?

Do they have to ask him if he's had any more thoughts every time they are released again?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's a difference between a creator making changes to their film and some company swooping in to make changes to someone else's film to censor it or adjust it to their own personal sensibilities, but sure.
George Lucas didn't direct Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi though.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In the full version JJ says he was referencing a fan restoration that someone had given him when making Force Awakens.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
In the full version JJ says he was referencing a fan restoration that someone had given him when making Force Awakens.
Yup, he cops to having seen the despecialized editions and even talks about how there was confusion when writing the script, because people kept referring to different versions of the Emperor/Vader discussion in Empire.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's a difference between a creator making changes to their film and some company swooping in to make changes to someone else's film to censor it or adjust it to their own personal sensibilities, but sure.
I don't like this idea of treating these movies like they're the work of one creator. There are a ton of people who worked on those movies to help make them what they were, and acting like George Lucas is the only one that matters is insulting to everybody else who worked on them.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will just never be able to fathom Lucas being such a fucking ass hole that he refuses to let this happen. There is absolutely no good reason to be this stubborn.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Respect to Lucasfilm for adhering to George's wishes.
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

Fuck George Lucas for being a hypocrite and against film preservation after claiming to be for it.

Exactly. Fuck him.

Yeah Lucas truly is a huge hypocrite when it comes to this issue A new hope is preserved in the library of congress the ORIGINAL version.

And his CGI enhacements is also a slap in the face to those that made the effects in the 1977 version which they won an academy award for.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Lucas truly is a huge hypocrite when it comes to this issue A new hope is preserved in the library of congress the ORIGINAL version.

And his CGI enhacements is also a slap in the face to those that made the effects in the 1977 version which they won an academy award for.
All this to say nothing of Empire and Jedi, neither of which he directed. Recutting films by dead filmmakers and prohibiting the commercial release of their original work is disgusting.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
All this to say nothing of Empire and Jedi, neither of which he directed. Recutting films by dead filmmakers and prohibiting the commercial release of their original work is disgusting.

We have the despecilized editions which are made by Harmy and he has not received any legal backlash from Lucasfilm since he encouraged everyone who gets the fan edits to have a copy of the original blu-ray.

Those are most perfect way to watch the original versions and they did a lot of work restoring the older footage making it fit with the blu-ray footage.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas did show the original version of A New Hope recently at an event. Maybe he's calming down about this stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

Lucas' insistence on never releasing the originals was always baffling and shitty, and of course people in this thread are defending it lmao. Fuck that.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
At best we will have to wait until George is no longer with us.

In George's mind, respecting his right to add asinine and ugly changes is more important than preserving the work of others. Academy Award winning effects work has simply been erased by these enhanced versions. Story beats in films he didn't even direct have been altered. If he had any respect for the craft he would have made sure to preserve the original versions and present them alongside any new release.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's like...is anyone asking for the Ray Harryhausen stop motion classics to be "remastered" with CGI? Like goddamn, this painstakingly animated stop motion sure looks like shit! It's so dated!

But the same could be said for any of the modern Star Trek series releases which are pretty well loved. All the practical effects work has been replaced.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lucas did show the original version of A New Hope recently at an event. Maybe he's calming down about this stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

Lucas' insistence on never releasing the originals was always baffling and shitty, and of course people in this thread are defending it lmao. Fuck that.
I think it's crazy to compare his stance to someone like Ridley Scott's. I have this baby:
61UuM4DakzL._SX342_.jpg

Ridley Scott included every version of Blade Runner in this set - from the theatrical to the international to the director's cut. There's 5 versions of this film in this set. It's fascinating history to compare and contrast the different versions and to have them archived and preserved as examples of what went wrong and what went right with the director's vision. They are monuments to the moment in time of their creation, alteration, and restoration. Ridley Scott knew it was important to keep that history there.

But for Star Wars and its genre-defining work?
source.gif

Edit:
c8b.png

Last edited:

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

typical billionaire attitude: do as i say, not as i do.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy your missed income, Disney.

That a bunch of dedicated fans can accomplish what Lucasfilm/Disney cannot with 4K scans of the original unaltered trilogy seems almost too outlandish to be true.

Because it's not true. Disney would release the theatricals if they could. They can't. George still doesn't want that to happen, and it almost certainly was part of their sale deal. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was written into his will that it can never happen, although I don't know how well that would stand up in court.

Earlier this year the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences held a special weekend symposium/celebration of classic ILM effects artists and their work. The centerpiece of the weekend was a screening of the Academy's archive copy of the original Star Wars. Lucas threw a fit and and refused to allow it to be shown. It took Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger personally arguing with him for months to convince him to let them show it, and only because they were finally able to get across their point that it makes no sense to screen a version of the film that doesn't include most of the special effects the event was supposed to be honoring. Even after that he basically made them swear it would never happen again. He is dead set against the originals ever seeing the light of day again, and nobody really knows why.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it's not true. Disney would release the theatricals if they could. They can't. George still doesn't want that to happen, and it almost certainly was part of their sale deal. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was written into his will that it can never happen, although I don't know how well that would stand up in court.

Earlier this year the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences held a special weekend symposium/celebration of classic ILM effects artists and their work. The centerpiece of the weekend was a screening of the Academy's archive copy of the original Star Wars. Lucas threw a fit and and refused to allow it to be shown. It took Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger personally arguing with him for months to convince him to let them show it, and only because they were finally able to get across their point that it makes no sense to screen a version of the film that doesn't include most of the special effects the event was supposed to be honoring. Even after that he basically made them swear it would never happen again. He is dead set against the originals ever seeing the light of day again, and nobody really knows why.

Nobody knows why? There is plenty of evidence showing he is utterly unable to accept anyone contradicting him in any way, in a way that is simply abnormal.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody knows why? There is plenty of evidence showing he is utterly unable to accept anyone contradicting him in any way, in a way that is simply abnormal.

I mean you can armchair psychoanalyze him as much as you want but people are more complex than that. Which is why I phrased it as "nobody really knows why," not "nobody knows why." We speculate, and some of the ideas are probably close to part of the truth, but there's obviously more happening there and George just refuses to get into it publicly.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's crazy to compare his stance to someone like Ridley Scott's. I have this baby:
61UuM4DakzL._SX342_.jpg

Ridley Scott included every version of Blade Runner in this set - from the theatrical to the international to the director's cut. There's 5 versions of this film in this set. It's fascinating history to compare and contrast the different versions and to have them archived and preserved as examples of what went wrong and what went right with the director's vision. They are monuments to the moment in time of their creation, alteration, and restoration. Ridley Scott knew it was important to keep that history there.

But for Star Wars and its genre-defining work?
source.gif

Edit:
c8b.png

Another good example is Steven Spielberg.

He basically did a Special Edition of his own, the 20th anniversary release of E.T, which too had shoved in scenes of CGI E.T. and other weird changes like the agents' guns being replaced by walkie-talkies.

The difference is that, at the very least, Spielberg never went out of his way to erase the original, unaltered version of E.T. from history like how George did with the original Star Wars movies. He personally demanded that the DVD release contained both versions of the film. Years later, he admitted that he prefers the original version, and that it's the version that people should watch instead, and that he won't do anymore major modifications to his old movies.

When people ask me which E.T. they should look at, I always tell them to look at the original 1982 E.T. If you notice, when we did put out E.T. we put out two E.T.s. We put out the digitally enhanced version with the additional scenes and for no extra money, in the same package, we put out the original '82 version. I always tell people to go back to the '82 version.

Apparantly the latest re-releases of E.T. on Blu-Ray don't even bother with the 20th anniversary edition anymore, now it's just the original theatrical version.

As pointed out in the interview above, it's just a shame George didn't take a page from one of his known buddies.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it sucks and I wish Lucas didn't feel that way.

On the other it's nice to know Disney is forced to respect some of his wishes and can't just do whatever they want.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am not sure that having both versions avaliable is really a disrespect to Geroge

Literally zero reason on streaming or digital purchase as an option. The director's wishes being honored ignores both the quality and wisdom of the changes and the fact that he only wrote and directed one of the three but got to ruin the intent of other more talented filmmakers.

it's his creation and I'm grateful for most of it- but he sold the house. Surely the new tenants should get to pick paint colors?

If Star Wars was a submarine he'd have been Gene Hackmaned by Denzel by now.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you can armchair psychoanalyze him as much as you want but people are more complex than that. Which is why I phrased it as "nobody really knows why," not "nobody knows why." We speculate, and some of the ideas are probably close to part of the truth, but there's obviously more happening there and George just refuses to get into it publicly.

George has said many times that the limitations in tech/budget/production time have always irritated him and he views these effects alterations as "fixing" what couldn't be done back then. He also doesn't want versions of the films out there that don't preserve the continuity with the prequels that he added in 2004.

It's not like he left the prequels alone either, he went back and put a CGI Yoda into Episode 1 to replace the, admittedly hideous, puppet they used and erased Frank Oz's puppetry. He just doesn't believe that the audience have any claim of ownership in a colloquial sense, you will watch the version he prefers and not the one you might have seen in the cinema.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
61UuM4DakzL._SX342_.jpg

I have that too and I wish they would allow that for other works as well, because it's the best effort in preserving films in their different iterations. The original SW is part of history so why not just release it in a set along with the 'touch-up' edited versions - seems like it would be a money maker for Disney and LucasFilm.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who rewatched the D+ versions of the OT in the last few days, please keep trying JJ.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if things will change when Lucas dies or if he's having the originals burried with him? I'll just say that I'm way younger than him and patiently waiting.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean ... it's fairly obvious what happened here.

At some point between 1988 and 1997, George Lucas was kidnapped by aliens and replaced with an imposter.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have that too and I wish they would allow that for other works as well, because it's the best effort in preserving films in their different iterations. The original SW is part of history so why not just release it in a set along with the 'touch-up' edited versions - seems like it would be a money maker for Disney and LucasFilm.
It's not like Lucas didn't do it himself ages ago on DVD (even if they were inferior transfers).
911uAMIhbqL._SY445_.jpg

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Another good example is Steven Spielberg.

He basically did a Special Edition of his own, the 20th anniversary release of E.T, which too had shoved in CGI scenes of E.T. and other weird changes like the agent's guns being replaced by walkie-talkies.

The difference is that, at the very least, Spielberg never went out of his way to erase the original, unaltered version of E.T. from history like how George did with the original Star Wars movies. He personally demanded that the DVD release contained both versions of the film. Years later, he admitted that he prefers the original version, and that it's the version that people should watch instead, and that he won't do anymore major modifications to his old movies.

Apparantly the latest re-releases of E.T. on Blu-Ray don't even bother with the 20th anniversary edition anymore, now it's just the original theatrical version.

As pointed out in the interview above, it's just a shame George didn't take a page from one of his known buddies.

That interview always pisses me off because it's clear George won't even listen to his friends and peers on this issue.

At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

Quint: I'm in total agreement with you. I wish you could talk George (Lucas) into doing the same thing!
Steven Spielberg: Well, I can't!

Quint: (laughs) Yeah, I don't think anybody can!
Steven Spielberg: George goes his own way and I respect him for it, but my new philosophy on this is to let sleeping dogs lie.

He won't even listen to fucking Spielberg!

Thank goodness Spielberg has a say on the Indy movies or we'd have a "special edition" of Raiders where the sword guy shoots at Indy first.