• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
J.K. Rowling was recently dragged by some of her followers for liking a Tweet that links to an article that demonizes trans women.
WTreHv4.png
https://twitter.com/Graemdyne/status/922859173347577859

The article that Rowling liked is this:
https://medium.com/@GappyTales/me-too-now-what-sex-the-left-and-gender-identity-236b08f194b0

I am, quite frankly, disappointed that some women are using this opportunity to lump trans women into the evils caused by cishet men. It only serves to perpetuate the notion that transpeople are sexual deviants and disgusting miscreants.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The article is disgusting, but denouncing somebody for liking one tweet is a bit much. I've liked countless tweets by accident, and many with the intention of just reading the article later.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
I use likes all the time to bookmark things I plan to read later, whether I agree with it or not. It's the easiest, quickest option inside the app. This is a bit ridiculous

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can only hope that like was an accident, or she didn't read it and thought she was supporting something else. Otherwise...Milkshake Ducked. :-/

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Did people even ask her about it. Pressing a like button doesn't mean much. I mean mistakes happen. If she didn't comment yet people should wait before starting the witch hunt.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't jive at all with her past public comments on LGBT rights.

I'm not a huge fan, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Secret Fawful

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would be shocked if JK Rowling was actually a transphobe. I have a really hard time believing it, without knowing how the like happened.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Unless she retweeted it or had come out actually saying anything to the effect of this, it seems like something to disregard. Obviously it's disconcerting, but her actual public activity speaks to the contrary.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The article is disgusting, but denouncing somebody for liking one tweet is a bit much. I've liked countless tweets by accident, and many with the intention of just reading the article later.

While that's fair enough, this did happen a few days ago and she's been getting an awful lot of heat over it. It seems unlikely that she hasn't become aware of it by now and could have just said it was a mistake if it was.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am constantly upvoting and downvoting random stuff on the Reddit app by mistake, so I understand if someone does so too.

Then again, she hasn't commented on it has she?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
In the kangaroo court of twitter, does skimming an article and clicking "like" become tantamount to a firebrand endorsement of every single sentence within?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making the accusation based on a single twitter like for an article that appears to be a perfectly acceptable sentiment (its mostly about the banality of women's existences navigating a world filled with shitty men) until you get to the final 1/10th where it completely derails isn't cool. She could have bookmarked it, she might not have read all the way through, etc.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
While that's fair enough, this did happen a few days ago and she's been getting an awful lot of heat over it. It seems unlikely that she hasn't become aware of it by now and could have just said it was a mistake if it was.

Searching "J.K. Rowling Trans" brings up nothing but stories about her defending the LGBT community that I can see.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be a bit unfair to assume the worst of it until/unless she comments on it.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It possible she only read the title and thought it was a positive article. People tend to like/retweet things without actual reading links or full threads

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So many people showing such concern over sexual assaults perpetrated by trans women. I doubt this concern in any way is actually motivated by crime statistics

(This post was regarding articles like the one JKR liked. I'm going to give JKR herself the benefit of the doubt while waiting for her to comment.)

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I like tweets I don't agree with to read them later.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 8 years ago, I pressed the wrong button on a newpaper's website, and on my FB wall it said for weeks that I 'liked' an article about a woman being gang-raped.

I'm giving her the benefit of doubt on this one.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
tbf if you have 13 million followers you really shouldn't be liking something as questionable as that just to bookmark it.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I like many tweets and articles that I don't agree with as reference for later in case I need to refer to them in the future during an argument or something. Not saying she does or doesn't believe this in anyway but assuming such a thing off of that alone seems like a bad idea. Just because it's called 'like' doesn't mean people don't use it for other purposes.

OP
OP
Chamomile

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how it could be a "witch hunt" when the author of the original Medium article is a fairly established British journalist critiquing the recent removal of a British columnist, Sam Kriss, after sexual assault allegations. Rowling is British herself, so I would assume that she knows of them. Further, GappyTales is overly outspoken about her transphobia on her Twitter feed.

While I do not endorse harassing Rowling over merely liking a Tweet, you should all be able to empathize with her LGBT+ fanbase, who Rowling has generally supported throughout her career. They want answers, and thus far, she has provided them none. Moreover, my making this thread is to also encourage ERA posters to acknowledge that, even in leftist spaces, we tend to be exclusionary of trans people.

Here is one of GappyTales tweets, if you're curious:
https://twitter.com/GappyTales/status/912967842223489025

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
JK Rowling's Twitter made me go from indifferent to actively disliking her.

She's a walking centrist bingo game.

OP
OP
Chamomile

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
The same people that follow GappyTales are TERFs that claim that "transwomen benefit from male privilege" at some point in their lives. GappyTales is a noted figure in transphobic language that other similarly exclusionary people rally underneath. I absolutely understand the anger being levied towards Rowling for being silent about the entire situation. All it takes is one Tweet to silence any concerns of her actually endorsing transphobic rhetoric.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
OP
OP
Chamomile

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
Liked a tweet?! Clearly a horrible person.
No; that's misjudging the situation. People are just in awe that someone that has been a clear ally for LGBT+ rights may be exclusionary of trans people. If my friend liked an article about something that is clearly bigoted in some way, then I would absolutely ask them why they did it. There's no inherent maliciousness to this.

Secret Fawful

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't see what's shocking about it. A lot of transphobic attitudes and ideas are normalized in our society.
I know. Rowling has been a staunch supporter of LGBT rights in the past, though. If she really does have these ignorant views, it would be surprising because she'd have to have severe cognitive dissonance to have them, and it doesn't mesh with her other views. I'm not saying that's not TOTALLY possible, but I'm going to wait and see if it's true.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No; that's misjudging the situation. People are just in awe that someone that has been a clear ally for LGBT+ rights may be exclusionary of trans people. If my friend liked an article about something that is clearly bigoted in some way, then I would absolutely ask them why they did it. There's no inherent maliciousness to this.
Did I misread your subject line? Seems like people are more than "in awe". They're accusing her of being a "TERF". Based not off a tweet of hers. But of a Tweet she hit like on. That's absurd.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not "in awe" of anything. If she truly feels that way, she deserves to be called out. I just need to see more evidence than liking a tweet. Clarification would obviously be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.