• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbozan

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Mark is cool imo. Just like RotJ when it seems Luke might be turning but then nah, he snaps back and yeets Palpatine into the bin. Can understand some being wobbly but man has been out there tweeting and liking stuff openly and showing explicit support for trans peeps with no prompt for awhile now. Can't see him doing a hard pivot personally, but perhaps I'm naive.

What will keep me guarded is that "trans right are human rights" or whatever is a much more wishywashy liberal thing to say than reinforcing that trans people are exactly who we say we are. Even TERFs will throw in the obligatory "human rights, everyone should be ok" stuff while calling for open genocide so at best he's on my whatever list. Just my take but I've been out for nearly 16 years at this point and am unfortunately now never surprised when general nonspecific "human love peace goodwill" support comes from someone who also buys some percentage of essentialist "baSiC biOLoGy" or "some concerns" about sports or whatever else.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because she's always been shit at naming characters. I bet Lulu Landry works at a Laundromat

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am unsurprised that this is how she'd write a Polish character, but also: 'Lula Landry'? Why is she naming characters in her adult detective novels like they're about to try out for Quidditch?

Because she's genuinely terrible at naming characters on a general level. Honestly one of the main reasons I never got into Harry Potter in the first place was that I thought a lot of the names were really stupid and it turned me off even when I was still a middle teenager and would've otherwise been the primary demographic for her books.

Dec 2, 2017
Lula Landry is an actual POC character I just remembered. She gets adopted by a rich white family after one of the sons of the family gives the other son. She has mental health issues, but gets discovered as a model and tries to track down her birth family, and to sign her wealth over to her brother (like related by blood brother not adopted brother) at which point adopted brother kills her.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I know they pretty much have to but it sucks to see Playstation Access giving fawning coverage to THAT GAME when Eurogamer, OutsideXbox and OutsideXtra refuse to even mention it.

Although I can't but notice none of the staff, nor the "fan" account has said a word and the video was done by the head of the team almost as if everyone else refused.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn, I don't want to imagine how she'd write a black character...

she would write one of the most infamous names she ever wrote

harrypotter.fandom.com

Kingsley Shacklebolt

Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt was a British pure-blood wizard in the employment of the Ministry of Magic. He worked for the Ministry as an Auror, but joined the reconstituted Order of the Phoenix in 1995 after being convinced of the return of Lord Voldemort. Working undercover within the...

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Although I can't but notice none of the staff, nor the "fan" account has said a word and the video was done by the head of the team almost as if everyone else refused.

Considering they're owned by Sony and Sony have a marketing deal with this game (to the point of giving it its own State of Play), it's possible they were forced to give coverage.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I think it's pretty likely, it's a sub-8 minute video. I'm not going to watch it of course so I can't comment on content.

Dec 2, 2017
Have you looked at the old place recently? There's a whole thread of people gifting copies of HL to people who make the most transphobic Harry Potter meme, and people committing to buy it just to be transphobic.

Oct 26, 2017
Have you looked at the old place recently? There's a whole thread of people gifting copies of HL to people who make the most transphobic Harry Potter meme, and people committing to buy it just to be transphobic.
I haven't looked there in ages now, and almost looked after the staff message to see how they responded. I held off and decided, ya know what, fuck em. That place is out of my life, and I'm not going to let their shit ruin a good thing going on over here. I know it is easier said than done for some, but please, just block that place. You don't need all that negatvitiy and hate added onto the pile.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
she would write one of the most infamous names she ever wrote

harrypotter.fandom.com

Kingsley Shacklebolt

Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt was a British pure-blood wizard in the employment of the Ministry of Magic. He worked for the Ministry as an Auror, but joined the reconstituted Order of the Phoenix in 1995 after being convinced of the return of Lord Voldemort. Working undercover within the...

KINGSLEY SHACKLEBOLT!?

Fuck, I got sick of Rowling's naming before the fourth or fifth chapter of the first book, and it gets this much worse?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I would check it like once every six months, but like every third post was just like "those crybabies at Reset Era can't have fun."

Like it just wasn't even interesting hate.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
KINGSLEY SHACKLEBOLT!?

Fuck, I got sick of Rowling's naming before the fourth or fifth chapter of the first book, and it gets this much worse?
I'm sorry to tell you that, while this is an especially bad one, this is pretty normal for any character/place that isn't White British.
Cho Chang is another name that often comes up in these conversations. The Japanese equivalent of hogwarts is called "Mahoutokoro". There's tons of this stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to tell you that, while this is an especially bad one, this is pretty normal for any character/place that isn't White British.
Cho Chang is another name that often comes up in these conversations. The Japanese equivalent of hogwarts is called "Mahoutokoro". There's tons of this stuff.

I have heard of Cho Chang, yeah. It really just feels like she puts zero effort into naming her non-white characters.

Speaking as someone who's WRITING a fantasy book and trying to give the cast a significant amount of diversity, it's not even that hard to like...check and make sure that your characters' names are A) not complete parodies and B) actually have some meaning behind them without being offensive or completely lazy google translate.

But it seems like the only times JK includes people who aren't white in her books, they're side characters who she pays little to no attention to.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Please tell me if I'm wrong or overreacting. I'm getting mad at people or outlets, Kinda Funny for example, that say they are against JK Rowling but want to cover Hogwarts Legacy so they'll donate money to trans organizations. Why do you have to make it a zero sum equation?!? Don't cover the game and donate. Is paying a charity clearing your conscience or something?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me if I'm wrong or overreacting. I'm getting mad at people or outlets, Kinda Funny for example, that say they are against JK Rowling but want to cover Hogwarts Legacy so they'll donate money to trans organizations. Why do you have to make it a zero sum equation?!? Don't cover the game and donate. Is paying a charity clearing your conscience or something?

From my perspective, there are plenty of other games Kinda Funny could cover right now. Trying to pretend that donating to pro-trans organizations is their "payment" for covering a game they don't have to cover is cowardly and half-handed.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Every Outlet and content creator doing the whole "well I actually don't like JK very much but.." spiel and covers the game still goes off my subs, if they're on there in the first place. At this point my sympathy is depleted. There's absolutely no reason why someone MUST cover it, it's all money and clicks and indifference. I'm willing to bet any donation they're doing is but a drop in the bucket of Youtube money they will get for their coverage.

That said, so far my own subs/algorithm is pretty untouched, which is great.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

At the end of the day they are a company whose sole objective is to make money. Companies are not our friends. They want to have their cake and eat it too basically. Covering the game will get them coverage and interaction from people which will generate revenue. I doubt donating to charity isn't to clear their conscience but more of a PR move.

Also do we know any gaming sites not covering the game?

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I am unsurprised that this is how she'd write a Polish character, but also: 'Lula Landry'? Why is she naming characters in her adult detective novels like they're about to try out for Quidditch?
From someone who calls herself "Robert Galbraith," we should probably consider ourselves fortunate every character isn't named after a serial killer.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day they are a company whose sole objective is to make money. Companies are not our friends. They want to have their cake and eat it too basically. Covering the game will get them coverage and interaction from people which will generate revenue. I doubt donating to charity isn't to clear their conscience but more of a PR move.

I think Waypoint.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Waypoint is the only one I'm aware of.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

I can't find a official statement, but I recall hearing that Eurogamer is not providing coverage.

I'll be disappointed if Nextlander does given how Alex Navarro has talked about the game when it comes up during game showcases.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did EZA, Nextlander and whatever's left of Giant Bomb confirm they'll cover it? Gerstmann?
Haven't followed EZA closely for a while unfortunately, so I'm ignorant on that end. Same with Giant Bomb.

As for the other two, I know there's been vocalized disgust and disinterest here and there despite not cutting away from the footage during streams. I doubt Gerstmann is playing it, though I have no idea if that has anything to do with the issues with the property or just complete disinterest. And with Nextlander I don't see it going over well for Alex.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I can't find an official statement, but I recall hearing that Eurogamer is not providing coverage.

Pretty sure EG's video team aren't touching it. Not sure about the article side of things. They're almost separate entities at this point.

Johnny who used to work on the vid team is nonbinary, and I know the rest of the team really loved them, so I doubt they'll fuck up. And the website has some whiny "booo woke shit" comments from readers, but they run a lot of articles about diversity and are explicitly for trans rights. So we'll see.

edit: oh/weird thing that links Johnny to Harry Potter. They did let's plays of the Dark Souls series alongside Aoife Wilson, and they were constantly quoting Harry Potter and singing the theme tune. This was years before Rowling tore off her mask. So I bet they're pretty gutted/betrayed about what she became.

Last edited:

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018

European people when American are racist: Omfg, stupid idiot Americans. Here in Europe we are an advanced society with no racism! :)
Also European people when they see a Polish, Romani, Arabic, or Kurdish person:
images

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That place has threads dedicated to whining about any kind of perceived progressiveness on ERA, I'd be surprised if they weren't that obsessed with us.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Triple jump I'm pretty sure said they aren't covering it.
Good Vibes Gaming (four former members of GameXplain) have explicitly come out against JK and refuse to cover the game to the point that they drop the screen and replace it with puppies if it comes up during a Direct/SGF/GameAwards stream.

I also remember KindaFunny very directly stating that they will not support JK Rowling and getting troll-bombed in the comments from alt-right sock puppet accounts for it back when she first took off the mask. I guess for that reason I had assumed they weren't covering Hogwarts Legacy. I recall a couple of them grew up on Harry Potter (from the In Review series) but I also remember a couple of them very defiantly stating their stance on not supporting JK (Greg and Tim, possibly Andy). I don't remember anyone defending her outside of Nick just asking initially "Are we sure that's what she said? I haven't read her tweets".

I wonder if the solution is the result of a lot of internal debate over it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

In my opionion, Journalist publications are the only thing where the "but you didn't do the same for X problematic game" is an argument that makes half sense because in the end, they will get less money if they don't cover a huge game. Like I know journalists who are being forced to cover the game by their boss but personally are 100% against.

My point is basically "this is less a Kinda Funny problem and more a Colin Moriarty problem"

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
In my opionion, Journalist publications are the only thing where the "but you didn't do the same for X problematic game" is an argument that makes half sense because in the end, they will get less money if they don't cover a huge game. Like I know journalists who are being forced to cover the game by their boss but personally are 100% against.

My point is basically "this is less a Kinda Funny problem and more a Colin Moriarty problem"
It's creepy that he's been gone for years but his fans still keep watch at KF and bomb their comments section by the hundreds any time they take a mildly progressive stance with "I miss Colin" "Colin wouldn't have tolerated this, he needs to come back" bullshit.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carbon offsets but for Trans rights.

Did EZA, Nextlander and whatever's left of Giant Bomb confirm they'll cover it? Gerstmann?
Haven't followed EZA closely for a while unfortunately, so I'm ignorant on that end. Same with Giant Bomb.

As for the other two, I know there's been vocalized disgust and disinterest here and there despite not cutting away from the footage during streams. I doubt Gerstmann is playing it, though I have no idea if that has anything to do with the issues with the property or just complete disinterest. And with Nextlander I don't see it going over well for Alex.
Members of EZA have said that they feel uncomfortable with covering the game (albeit with caveats [see near the end of segment with Blood] also Ben isn't with them anymore) and they haven't reacted or released any previews on it recently. While they haven't officially said they won't, I don't think they'll release a review (or I hope anyway).

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Good Vibes Gaming (four former members of GameXplain) have explicitly come out against JK and refuse to cover the game to the point that they drop the screen and replace it with puppies if it comes up during a Direct/SGF/GameAwards stream.
I just subscribed to them but hadn't seen anything in their videos to definitively tell me they were "one of the good ones" so I was still hovering over the unsubscribe button as I do with most gaming channels. This is very good news.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I know the Giant Bomb and Nextlander crew have talked about how JK Rowling is a shitty person and it's ruined Harry Potter but I don't think either have said one way or another if they'll play it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I just subscribed to them but hadn't seen anything in their videos to definitively tell me they were "one of the good ones" so I was still hovering over the unsubscribe button as I do with most gaming channels. This is very good news.
I get it. I am skeptical of every gaming and movie channel on YouTube now and am always finding myself looking at their video history to make sure they aren't screaming at some cartoon or MCU thing or video game for being "too woke".

Being inclusive and supportive of marginalized groups is part of their mission statement. They're good folks.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I get it. I am skeptical of every gaming and movie channel on YouTube now and am always finding myself looking at their video history to make sure they aren't screaming at some cartoon or MCU thing or video game for being "too woke".

Being inclusive and supportive of marginalized groups is part of their mission statement. They're good folks.
Good to hear. I find the one guy's voice incredibly soothing so I'm happy I can keep watching without guilt.

Usually I just search a new channel for The Last of Us 2 and The Last Jedi since those are nearly foolproof litmus tests, but I don't remember seeing TLOU when I looked at GVG so I was just going on, appropriately, vibes.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Good to hear. I find the one guy's voice incredibly soothing so I'm happy I can keep watching without guilt.

Usually I just search a new channel for The Last of Us 2 and The Last Jedi since those are nearly foolproof litmus tests, but I don't remember seeing TLOU when I looked at GVG so I was just going on, appropriately, vibes.
Brie Larson is another good one to search.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

Eurogamer (at least video), Outside Xbox and Outside Xtra have said nothing but omitted it from their entire "2023 games line up" coverage. Eurogamer have also run multiple charity stream for the likes of Mermaids. The chances of getting an Aoife Wilson or Ellen Rose near that game is probably minimal.