• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
You have one job Jade , Call Patrice and give him the budget he needs to develop 1666 Amsterdam.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I never realised she was held in such high regard here. Many of the responses come across like she is a titan in the gaming industry, not unlike Google snatching up Shigeru Miyamoto or John Carmack. Are Assassin's Creed 1 and Watch_Dogs that widely beloved on ResetEra?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, like Oculus Rift - Rubin, Suttner, Carmack :) And see what happened.

If you want launch something new that will change market - you need young people with fresh ideas (Nintendo, PS and many other game companies started like this)

Quoting this late obviously but this is a pretty poor comparison and not really accurate either, as 1) None of these names were on the ground floor of Oculus' founding and were all hired post FB-buyout, 2) Oculus is doing just fine for themselves, the Quest will probably be the best value wireless all-in-one solution for awhile to come (non PC obv), and 3) Carmack is Oculus' CTO and has made a huge impact on their direction ie mobile initiative towards VR. Unless your point is you just don't like the direction they've gone which is more personal preference, as they've had pretty good numbers from things like the Go.

The added irony is also your point of needing young people to start things...Palmer Luckey was what, not even 20 when Oculus got started? Also Brendan Iribe wasn't exactly an aging Silicon Valley type either...and see what happened with those two xD

Experience is always a plus when starting something this big that has so many moving parts, and I argue its apples to oranges comparing what started as primarily a hardware release with next to no software (DK1/DK2) from a startup versus something coming from a titan like Google that will surely be putting something out with a shit ton of proven software talent on board. I'm skeptical it'll find a place in between the big three too but my ears are certainly perked up now more than before when someone like Raymond is helping lead the charge.

Also when was the last time relatively young types cobbled together complex manufacturing and distribution channels for a successful console release? It's almost like there's more to it than just game development.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Jade I guess, but it will take years before we see anything substantial.

Will Google still be interested in gaming by then, will they get the 3rd party support needed to be successful?

What if XB2 and PS5 are vastly superior tech, what then?

Nov 21, 2017
I know it's not Google related but whatever happened to the Benz guy that split from Rockstar Games and was supposedly using that Lumberyard engine for his next open world project. He would be a good pick up for Google IMO.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I never realised she was held in such high regard here. Many of the responses come across like she is a titan in the gaming industry, not unlike Google snatching up Shigeru Miyamoto or John Carmack. Are Assassin's Creed 1 and Watch_Dogs that widely beloved on ResetEra?

Yeah, people here treat her like she is some legendary developer, but I look at her resume and I'm like... why? Well, I can only assume why.

Oct 27, 2017
People here not knowing basic corporate titles.. lol she's not VP of the entire company, just their gaming division. Also interesting since they recently tested out their Chrome streaming tech with an Assassin's Creed game.

Also, lets not forget when Amazon was throwing around a lot of money to grab talent to start Amazon Game Studios in 2012.

Why "lol"? She says she's joining Google as VP with literally no further context given. I was confused by her tweet too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This thread is a little strange to be honest.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Assassin's Creed is the biggest IP Ubisoft has ever created.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't she worked at EA for years? Did nothing come out of that? What was her position/job title?

I still remember when she was on that show with Victor Lucas

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I was very confused at her title, I was wondering, is she the VP of the entire company or their new gaming division? Because those are two completely separate things.

Not saying she can't become V.P of the company, but I found it weird for her to go from a high profile in gaming to the V.P of a giant tech company. Regardless, this is awesome news for her, it truly means Google is serious about their gaming division.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Why "lol"? She says she's joining Google as VP with literally no further context given. I was confused by her tweet too.
VP is just a rank below the executives (my company has around 50 of them), a senior rank in management. A leader of a department within a department.
A company VP nowdays is not like the VP of the USA, the role is kinda archaic in that sense.

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Google is not an art/toys focused company. Besides they offer everything for free.

I doubt anything of consequence will come out of it.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't she worked at EA for years? Did nothing come out of that? What was her position/job title?

I still remember when she was on that show with Victor Lucas

She's worked for EA as a programmer, including working on Sims online, then she started working as a producer for Ubisoft's on AC.
She was thrown into the spotlight when she was doing a lot of press for that project. After the launch of the AC, she started working on other projects at Ubisoft until 2009-2010? She then Headed up the new Ubisoft Toronto, that she started from scratch. They made the last instalment of Splinter Cell there and helped out on other projects.

That's when a few years ago, she moved back to EA to build a new team, Motive, in Montreal. They worked on several SW: Battlefront projects, but were supposed to help the Amy Hennig Project too. She was also given the reigns of other satellite studios under the Motive umbrella. Then she left in 2018, and now we know she works for Google.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
She's worked for EA as a programmer, including working on Sims online, then she started working as a producer for Ubisoft's on AC.
She was thrown into the spotlight when she was doing a lot of press for that project. After the launch of the AC, she started working on other projects at Ubisoft until 2009-2010? She then Headed up the new Ubisoft Toronto, that she started from scratch. They made the last instalment of Splinter Cell there and helped out on other projects.

That's when a few years ago, she moved back to EA to build a new team, Motive, in Montreal. They worked on several SW: Battlefront projects, but were supposed to help the Amy Hennig Project too. She was also given the reigns of other satellite studios under the Motive umbrella. Then she left in 2018, and now we know she works for Google.

Pretty great career, good for her!

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me old-fashioned but shouldn't you try to make a game studio before you launch a console, as in, a few years before? How long has she been there?

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dope, good for her.

Based on...?

The worship for Raymond as some wizard of the industry in this thread is kind of bizarre.

Yeah I don't quite get the hype either, she's only been the EP on one good game IMO, don't know where this pedigree is coming from. She's not a bad developer by any means but I don't get the "hype" behind this.

The last game I played of hers was I Am Alive and that game was something alright. But she also made Assassins Creed 2 before that, so it's hard to really gauge what she can do now

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
User banned (permanent): sexism + previous severe infraction
Based on...?

The worship for Raymond as some wizard of the industry in this thread is kind of bizarre.

Never understood it. Outside of her being attractive to many, I look at her resume and I see a leader, but I don't see some crazy accomplished Captain Marvel of the gaming industry that people make her out to be. I think being attractive is easily +25 to illusion though.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here is hoping that Google get real serious about this, and come out the gate with a serious first party.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Oh wow I only remembered Jade from Electric Playground and I thought this was a very strange hire lol. Somehow I missed that she had a whole ass career in game development.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Google has high expectations but she'll flop and get at least a $35M exit package after a couple of years. Congrats Jade.