• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Serious question, why is she so well known and highly regarded in the industry?

I've heard her name several times before, but wasn't sure what she worked on. After looking her up, it seems like she led the creation of the first assassins creed game (which is definitely a huge game), but hasn't been on much since.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I'm not sure why she had to emphasize that she joined as a VP.. definitely a producer/managing optics type.

Not impressed with her work after AC but she's leagues beyond all/most of us, of course!

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for google's ambitions for gaming because I'm positive it will be stupid and they'll abandon it like they do just about everything that isn't maps and google and ads but I'm glad for Jade. This is a baller ass job.

I don't think she is anything special that this is some giant get but good for her nonetheless.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her! I remember when AC1 launched and Ubi sent her out to promote the game and people were giving her shit for being a woman and "only a producer". She is now laughing all the way to the bank.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people here treat her like she is some legendary developer, but I look at her resume and I'm like... why? Well, I can only assume why.
Never understood it. Outside of her being attractive to many, I look at her resume and I see a leader, but I don't see some crazy accomplished Captain Marvel of the gaming industry that people make her out to be. I think being attractive is easily +25 to illusion though.
Uh so we're just gonna let these posts chill?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forget this photo op and thinking about how the massive team behind her must be resentful. I'm sure it was Ubisoft pushing it.

Grats to her, I want to remain optimistic about a google console but they constantly abandon their hardware so we'll see

jade.jpg

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
of course it is. but her tweet makes it sound like she's the VP of google.
being VP of a division , is huge, Phil is VP with MS and we see how much has change since then, she is VP of probably gaming at Google, Thats huge. There isnt a president of gaming, there's the CEO and then the VPs. For better or worse, Google is going to announce something big.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm not sure why she had to emphasize that she joined as a VP.. definitely a producer/managing optics type.

Not impressed with her work after AC but she's leagues beyond all/most of us, of course!
Because becoming a VP at Google is a big deal. Idk what's wrong with some of you people. It also sounds like some of you guys want her to fail.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I will never forget this photo op and thinking about how the massive team behind her must be resentful. I'm sure it was Ubisoft pushing it.

Grats to her, I want to remain optimistic about a google console but they constantly abandon their hardware so we'll see

jade.jpg
99% of the developers in this picture look completely miserable. lol what an odd photo.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

companies like Google have a million VPs. She could still be doing similar things as before.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
VP does not mean much it's just a job title.
So without a job description and responsibilities there is not much to get from this.

Microsoft for example has CVPs for Cloud Gaming, Xbox Program Management, etc.
VP is just generally above General Manager.

There are still a lot of people above you. Even in your subdivision.
So i doubt she'll be head of gaming for Google. That would be a huge career step

companies like Google have a million VPs. She could still be doing similar things as before.
Millions is a little exaggeration, but there're thousands.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So without a job description and responsibilities there is not much to get from this.

So i doubt she'll be head of gaming for Google. That would be a huge career step

word. There's VPs all over the office in my workplace (an investment). Heck, a bum like me without a college degree has a title of AVP.

Don't get hung up by a title too much, folks.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
being VP of a division , is huge, Phil is VP with MS and we see how much has change since then, she is VP of probably gaming at Google, Thats huge. There isnt a president of gaming, there's the CEO and then the VPs. For better or worse, Google is going to announce something big.

yeah but we know Phil Harrison is also there as a VP/GM in some capacity, there's no guarantee she's Google's equivalent to Phil Spencer

we'll know more at GDC but there seem to be a lot of assumptions being tossed around in here

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I never realised she was held in such high regard here. Many of the responses come across like she is a titan in the gaming industry, not unlike Google snatching up Shigeru Miyamoto or John Carmack. Are Assassin's Creed 1 and Watch_Dogs that widely beloved on ResetEra?
Raymond isn't really analogous to Miyamoto or Carmack, who have extensive game design backgrounds. She started out as a programmer, but shifted into management after a few years. Phil Harrison or Andrew Wilson would be a better comparison in terms of her role.

I think the posts questioning her resume are missing that she's not like a lead game developer, she's an executive. There aren't a ton of people floating around with experience managing or building a large videogame studio, so this seems like a solid addition for Google.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn

Millions is a little exaggeration, but there're thousands.

I don't know about now but as of 2013, Google has about 100 vice presidents among 37,000 employees.
So a vice president is about the top 0.2% of all employees. I think that indicate the importance of the job.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
99% of the developers in this picture look completely miserable. lol what an odd photo.
It was for the first Assassin's Creed, they probably were all exhausted having done hundreds of hours of overtime. Ubisoft was taking advantage of Jade's newfound celebrity/sex appeal.

For all we know Jade worked just as many hours or more but it must have made for some awkward office dynamics.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It was for the first Assassin's Creed, they probably were all exhausted having done hundreds of hours of overtime. Ubisoft was taking advantage of Jade's newfound celebrity/sex appeal.

For all we know Jade worked just as many hours or more but it must have made for some awkward office dynamics.

Having a close friend who have work with her as a project manager on Assasin creed 2, yeah, he wasn't really impress by his work... but this is just one side of the medal i think...

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I don't know about now but as of 2013, Google has about 100 vice presidents among 37,000 employees.
So a vice president is about the top 0.2% of all employees. I think that indicate the importance of the job.

Google has 98,771 employees right now.
And with tech and services companies you have a relatively high number of VPs compared to manufacturing or retail with lots of regular workers.

Google has 5 VP positions open.
307 people as VP on LinkedIn and 28 as SVP.

So with people not having VP in their LinkedIn profil, or people not on LinkedIn at all, the actual number is probably around 500.
Quite low. Seems like they don't give out that title like candy as many other companies do.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really familiar with her previous work. I remember her working in assasins creed back in the day, but didn't keep track of what she's been doing after that.

Good for her though, hope this means google's gaming whatever will be worth it

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know about this woman is that she was in tons of the E3-promo stuff for development on Battlefront 2.

In the words of Ariana Grande: "Thank you, next"

Google has control over enough shit, I hope they fail BIG TIME at this.

YEAH I SAID IT.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Don't get why she's such a big deal around here. So she produced a few AC games and watch dogs... Feel like her name alone is bigger than anything she's actually accomplished.

Not trying to drag her down and I'm sure she's worked hard. Just don't get the popularity.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't get why she's such a big deal around here. So she produced a few AC games and watch dogs... Feel like her name alone is bigger than anything she's actually accomplished.

Not trying to drag her down and I'm sure she's worked hard. Just don't get the popularity.

Same here like she's a gamechanger!! She's not.
I love Jade, but she was way to long MIA! Its a good move to hire her, and amazing job to do but I dont get all the hype here

UCFJake

Nov 20, 2017
Savannah, GA
Vice Principal of what, though.

I don't think that got as many lol's as it should have imo.

Congrats to Jade I guess, but it will take years before we see anything substantial.

Will Google still be interested in gaming by then, will they get the 3rd party support needed to be successful?

What if XB2 and PS5 are vastly superior tech, what then?

It is all about "the cloud". XB2 and PS5 may be amazing hardware but the hardware network infrastructure MS, Amazon, and Google have are far more important for the future of gaming.

Project Stream let me play AC:O on a *very* limited Asus netbook which I tethered to my TV via HDMI, on a 25mbps connection with little noticable lag, and an Xbox One controller. It was amazing and simple to setup. I'd have preferred to run it on my TV if I could have.